Owl 19-Apr-14
ohiohunter 19-Apr-14
SDHNTR(home) 19-Apr-14
Barty1970 22-Apr-14
TD 22-Apr-14
Olink 22-Apr-14
Olink 23-Apr-14
17-Apr-14
After reading the many positive reviews on the havalon i am considering the even though I sharpen my knives shaving sharp. Am I being foolish? Reasons being:

-I am a knife junkie -I bring 2 knives for doing an elk just I hate not having a crazy sharp edge even if it isn't needed. So I'd cut on weight. -Initial weight of knife itself.

Another question - so lets say you're 2 miles in and you use 2 blades. What do you do with the used blade? It's dirty, and hazardous if not cased in some way in your pack.

17-Apr-14
I put the used blade back in the foil back that the new one just came out of and put it back in the pouch with the other blades to dispose of later. The case I have easily fits 5+ blades.

I use a regular knife for everything but capping. The Piranta works great for capping but I need a knife with leverage, strength and speed for deboning. I hear many guys do the whole animal with the scalpel but not me. You will value the purchase! Good luck! C

17-Apr-14
I do the same as Charlie with the used blades. I also bring another knife when you may need the leverage. Just go slow and easy, let the blade do the work.

DJ

17-Apr-14
I love my Havalon for the simplicity of just carrying one very light knife but have started thinking about bringing another small fixed blade knife as well and use both. Sometimes the Havalon is just too damn sharp for the tight stuff and have nearly cut myself a few times. I'd say if you are into knives and keep sharp ones-stick with those. But then again its another knife to add to your quiver!

17-Apr-14
I used to only use a scalpel and a small custom fixed blade. Traded the scalpel for a piranta last year. I broke two blades on the havalon caping the thick neck hide of a big bull elk. It was difficult and scary to change out the broken blades in the field. Not so great for quartering the back half:

For deer it wouldn't be an issue, but for elk I'm not sure I'll go with a havalon as my only tool again. Its a great tool, though, and will always be in my daypack or fanny pack

17-Apr-14
I broke several blades on my oryx. It did however save my ass on the oryx as I had to change blades very often. Next time i hunt oryx i will carry a box cutter.

The havalon is good, but was never unsheathed w/ my last elk. If you are a knife nut then you know how to choose and sharpen a knife. My Cabela's alaskan s30v buck crosslock will easily quarter an elk and still be sharp enough to de-bone.

I can live w/out the havalon, I however will not be in the field w/out an s30v blade. BTW, I think the bos heat treatment and teflon coating really set the alskan knives apart from the rest.

18-Apr-14
I tried the Havalon for the first time this year and liked it. Being a professional butcher has it's advantages when it comes to sharpening and and using the right tool for the job. It took me a couple of blades to figure out that I could't apply the same pressure as with my normal deboning knife. My normal knife is a 5" curved semi-flexible victorinox. I deboned two elk with the Havalon this year. Broke 3-4 blades on the first one and none on the second elk. Guess I figured it out the second time. It's nice that it is scary sharp. Quickly change blades when it gets dull. I like that option since my knives have to be sharp all the time. I hate it for splitting a cape on an elk or anything thick like an elk. For caping it works great but as a taxidermist as well I prefer something with a smaller handle for caping. Overall, it's a great knife to have in your arsenal but I would recommend having a stronger knife in your pack for splitting the cape. It just takes a light touch and the Havalon will work quite well.

18-Apr-14
Bring the havalon and a decent folder. The folder will work better for knees if you pack bone in and for separating the skull from the spine and removing the jaw. The days of cutting bone on game animals is long gone.

18-Apr-14
I agree with Jaqomo, I have two Havalons and I like them in most cases, but my experience with dealing with caping the thick neck hide of an elk was similar. The stainless blades seem extremely brittle, it is very easy to accidentally apply too much pressure. I have some carbon steel blades for the Havalon that I am trying, possibly they are less brittle. Too me it just seems like the wrong tool for the job if it is that easy to break blades. The blades are very dangerous if you break one. I had one spring and hit me across the eye socket, luckily it bridged the socket and didn't hit the eyeball. This is a very good example of a tool that should be used with safety glasses.

18-Apr-14
I do what Charlie does. I like the Havalon and use mine - mostly for capping,and sometimes skinning, but I think a lot of guys get caught up in whatever the current trend is. For my money, there is no way I'd leave a good, sharp, four-inch fixed blade knife, out of my pack. There is so many uses for a sturdy, sharp knife - beyond the obvious (especially if you're deep in the back country), that a Havalon is just not suitable for. In any case, good luck and be safe with all those sharp things.

18-Apr-14
I much prefer a fixed skinner and fixed caper. I also always have a clip knife for extra duty if need be. Never really felt the knifes were a burden.

18-Apr-14
I use a Havalon Piranta for everything, never have a problem with elk, deer, moose, etc. If you are harder on blades you might look into the Bolt or Torch.

18-Apr-14
A Leatherman combined with a Piranta with a few extra blades and I am good to go on any hunt. A guide up here uses a #22 blade (small curved) for caping and ear turning, but I haven't ordered any yet. Fits the Piranta just like the regular 4" blade but is only a couple of inches long IFIRC.

18-Apr-14
I never go hunting without the Piranta. You just can't carry a lighter, more "permanently" sharp knife. But you should also have a sturdy do-all knife in your pack. Piranta's are not meant to whittle with or pry apart joints. I've found the secret is to not force or twist the blade, just let it cut.

And as others have said, do not use just your fingers to remove an old blade! I use another knife tip to lift and push the old blade off or a Leatherman.

18-Apr-14
Just curious....not against any knife personally. But with all the fans of them out there...what to the Havalon knives do that can't be done with fixed blade knives?

18-Apr-14

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
BUGLELK's embedded Photo

BUGLELK's Link
Guys,

Check out the new Bolt or Torch knives by Havalon. They are the same concept as the original Piranta, but they have the thicker 60A replaceable blades. We can do an entire elk with one blade, and didn't have any issues with breaking blades last fall (as we did in the past with the thinner 60XT blades). They also just came out with the Piranta Edge that uses the 60A blades as well.

Regarding RLong's question about what a Havalon can do that other knives can't...they can sharpen themselves... :-) I love not having to sharpen knives in the field, and the only knife I carry is the Bolt with the 60A blades...it is strong enough to do everything I need to do with a knife.

Many thanks, Corey Jacobsen Elk101.com/Extreme Elk Magazine

18-Apr-14
I do taxidermy in my spare time and can tell you that they are much better for caping animals. I used to carry and use actual scalpels and blades to cape but know I use the Havalon. It has a bigger blade and a better handle than a traditional scalpel. you can get a regular knife sharp enough to cape but the edge doesn't last long enough to even finish one animal. I can't imagine having to stop and get out a knife sharpener in the middle of a cape job.

18-Apr-14
Corey, will the thicker blades not fit on the original Piranta?

18-Apr-14
Actually, I just checked their website. I actually have the Whitetail and it fits the thicker blades.

18-Apr-14
ya'all use thme to split the pelvis too?

18-Apr-14
The thicker blades won't work on the Piranta....sure would be nice if they did. I bought my Piranta a few months too early. I still wouldn't leave it at home.

18-Apr-14
RLong "Just curious....not against any knife personally. But with all the fans of them out there...what to the Havalon knives do that can't be done with fixed blade knives?"

Be lighter, really that's about it. You have a super sharp blade that when dull you throw away and put another blade on. If you can sharpen your knife that sharp and don't mind the weight and bulk your not gaining anything.

"ya'all use thme to split the pelvis too?" Can't say I have ever split the pelvis using one. The gutless method is what I generally use.

18-Apr-14
The Havalon thread ran about a year ago and everyone unanimously said they were the greatest invention since indoor plumbing...now after actually using the knives there seems to be a dropoff in popularity.

18-Apr-14
I love the havalon. I am a horrible knife sharpener. Before the havalon I had switched to small victorinox paring knives that were easy to sharpen and lightweight so I was used to doing surgery instead of applying a lot of force. The havalon is even lighter and much sharper.

I'm with you guys about never leaving a blade behind in the field. Just put they old blade in the foil wrapper. I always but the blade in a plastic water bottle or something before I throw it away. Stiff bottles like gatorade or juice are better than flimsy water bottles. It could really hurt someone if they mashed the trash down or rubbed a trash bag against their leg and the blade was loose....

18-Apr-14
I have never split a pelvis with a Havalon but i did split the ribs to open up a hog. Just let the blade do the work and not force or twist it. Use the back end of the blade and not the tip.

TBM - I bet when you got that indoor plumbing last year you felt on top of the world didn't you?

18-Apr-14
I cut the meat off of the pelvis when I'm quartering an animal so there is no need to split the pelvis at all. That just seems like extra work that isn't necessary to me.

18-Apr-14
I was never a big fan. Used it on an elk two years ago and swore never again. Worked great for skinning out the skull, however.

I would be interested in the new thicker blade models.

18-Apr-14
Bolt and Torch are awesome... Piranta wasn't nearly tough for my indelicate field dressing techniques...

18-Apr-14
I now have a slightly used piranta for sale. Comes with 6 blades. ..

19-Apr-14
Absolutely love this knife! I use it in conjunction with a small buck folding knife when in bear camp. I use a leatherman to help replace the blades.

19-Apr-14
I've skinned and quartered 2 elk, 3 deer, and 2 domestic goats with a Havalon. I broke 2 blades on the first deer and none since. You just have to know what it won't take.

For de boning, I prefer a fixed blade knife, but I don't pack one into the back country cause I'm a wt minimalist while hunting. I pack out quarters. Bones go to soup and the dogs, not yotes.

I also put the blade back into the foil pouch and put it back in with the spare blades. I would not fault someone for digging a small hole and poking the blade point down into the dirt with their boot and covering it with a rock. The thin metal will rust and degrade in no time.

RLong, the advantage is that it weighs nothing compared to a fixed knife with sharpener, is superior at caping, is always sharp, and is inexpensive.

19-Apr-14
I often wondered how there was an advantage in carrying such a light knife, if you also had to carry a leatherman to change the blades

19-Apr-14
I always carry a leatherman regardless of what knife I have. If I am outside the leatherman is on my hip.

19-Apr-14
Has anyone tried the Outdoor Edge version?

I like the Havalon for caping, but that is about it. The changing blades part is downright dangerous. Especially with cold hands. I was full body caping a javelina a couple years ago in AZ in Jan. I've yet to find a safe way to swap blades without a pair of pliers.

Overall, gimme a good old Case pocket knife anytime.

19-Apr-14
I am not a fan of the original Piranta.

Broke blades all the time. not fun.

the most dangerous part is replacing blades on the Piranta. I've had And watched parts of flying blades strike people in the face trying to remove a blade.

Never again.

I carry a knife i carry everyday plus a sheath knife. learn how to sharpen a real knife. much safer than the Piranta.

19-Apr-14
How much do the blades cost? throw many blades does one use in a season? I would think that the cost of changing out blades due to dullness or breaking would add up to a nice quality hunting knife. I assume it's only good for lite cutting, and wouldn't handle much else, so what's the point?

19-Apr-14
Blades are around .30 or so each. I go thru a few every year, just depends on how many animals I take.....or participate in cutting up.

I'm not sure how people are having blades break and fly back at them. Seems to me you should be using a knife not a pry bar, but I guess everyone has their own style.

19-Apr-14
Some hunters have to have all the latest gear, some look down on anybody that breaks tradition.

Some will buy Piranta because it's new out some will shun it on the principle that "my old Buck knife has been skinning deer for thirty years."

It's a tool guys. If you don't need a hammer, don't buy one, or a wrench set. But if you need something to turn eyes and lips on a cape that's will slip in the next few days, you simply cannot beat a razor sharp, fine blade.

If you are just skinning a deer and quartering it and you can sharpen your knife again before the next job, then you don't need a Piranta.

When I back pack into the mountains, I always carry two knives because you could just plain lose one. In the past few years it has been a Swedish made Falkniven F1, which is their military issue and a Piranta. It's a great combination. I also skinned a whole moose with just the Piranta, just to see if I could.

Not everybody needs a Piranta, same as not everybody needs a hatchet on their belt.

19-Apr-14
Can you split a deer's rib cage with one? They do look like a good caping/skinning knife.

19-Apr-14
Well said, Ambush! My thoughts exactly. I just won a Havalon Piranta at a disabled bow hunters benefit. I have used it for some household projects, and in very impressed with with how crazy sharp the blades are. I can't wait to test it out on squirrels, rabbits, and deer. I know that I'm not going to be able to cut bone-in steaks with this knife, but I think it will do a great job skinning critters! I see it like this. This thing is light weight, compact, aerodynamic, and capable of some nasty cutting ability...just like Rages!! ;)

19-Apr-14
Thanks for the experienced responses guys! I always carry 2 knives as well but ironically the knife I like the most to carry is a $30 buck folder. It has a light plastic handle and the perfectly shaped 4" blade. Only thing is being a $30 knife the edge doesn't last forever for big game like elk and moose. Deer hunting I can do 3 deer before it needs a hone but I'm not even really touching bone.

For big game sounds like if I coupled it with a Havakon Bolt might be a great combo!

Of course if it wasn't the offseason I'd just hunt and wouldn't need a single thing lol

19-Apr-14

sitO's Link
Just an FYI...the Havalon® Piranta Zytel® Folding Knife is on sale "on line" at Cabelas right now for $29.99(link). Picked up three for gifts.

I've been using one for a year now...Elk, Deer, Pronghorn, Turkey, and I really like the ease of use and sharpness. It's as "sharp as a scalpel" because it is a scalpel. I have, however, "poked" myself more with this knife than any other I've used...sloppiness and lack of attention on my part to blame.

19-Apr-14
I have the torch and it's awesome on Whitetail.

God Bless!

19-Apr-14
Someday, I'm going to post a video on how to change Havalon blades easilly without pliers. Its super easy and safe.

You push the dull side of the blade out with your thumb nail as you hold the knife, and then use a blunt object, like a rock or stick, to push the blade out from the sharp end of the base of the blade.

Don't pull on the other end of the blade with your other hand; that way, you're just asking to cut yourself.

To put the blade on safely, just place the blade in place and push the point up against a tree till it clicks into place.

19-Apr-14
You guys getting hurt changing a blade are kidding right? Lol!

19-Apr-14
As a veteran of skinning bear with a scalpel, I like them for light, controlled work. In this, they excel. No way it would be my "go to" blade if weight was a concern. It is pretty much a kit knife for me.

On a couple of occasions, I found myself needing to swap blades and was darn lucky to do so with all 10 digits still intact. The best way is to do as Idyllwild states. However, I am not dexterous enough to do so without breaking the blade. Perhaps the Piranta is for the deft of hand.

19-Apr-14
I have an extra blaze orange havalon-piranta with 12 blades that I'll part w/ for $30 plus shipping.

19-Apr-14
I'll admit that changing the blades is a problem for me. Yes it can be done efficiently if you are careful, but I'm an adrenaline charged mess when I find a critter at the end of a blood trail. I don't trust myself. In the time it takes to change blades, I can whip out my Jewellstick and hit my Case blade a few times to bring it right back where it needs to be.

22-Apr-14

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
I have one of these...

22-Apr-14
I carry one in my pack, but normally only use it for caping work. I have the tracer which takes the smaller 22 blades as well as the standard 60. Great little caping knife, use it all bird season as well pelting out pheasants.

You can make it work on several tasks. But i"m not a fan of making things work. More along the lines of fastest and highest quality results for the task.

It will do the job but not a fan of it for deboning, as mentioned above by butcherboy a 5" flexible forschner for that. Not my favorite for gutless skinning either. Skinning I'm still searching for my perfect tool.

Had high hopes for the raptorazor. Looked like exactly what I was looking for in a skinning knife. It came in on a couple weeks ago on a saturday afternoon. Put it together and was impressed with how well made and thought out. Went out on a quick sunday morning hunt and when I got back to the truck somebody had broken in and stole a bunch of stuff, went through my packframe kill kit and stole all 4 of my knives. They even got a custom koa handle Helle that SteveH from AK made me a couple years ago. It was so pretty I told him I didn't want to use it and he said if I didn't use it he wasn't gonna give it to me. Used it the first day it was in my pack. So sorry Steve, the lowlifes got it.

First two I've replaced were the boning knife (I had spares) and just got the replacement tracer in yesterday. So I like it enough to be one of the first ones I replaced. It's a good tool for what I use it for.

The raptorazor I hardly owned for 12 hours..... saving up for another to try. If it works how I think it will it will have a place in my pack as well. What can I say..... I'm a tool junkie....

22-Apr-14
You can also get #60 carbon steel scalpel blades for your Havalons. Carbon steel scalpels hold their edge longer and may be slightly stronger.

23-Apr-14
While on the subject of Havalon knives, it sure would be nice if Havalon or another company would make a nice NON FOLDING handle for #60 blades. Something that you could get a good grip on and is EASY TO CLEAN UP (no troughs to hold blood and fat). I never could figure out why the Havalon needed to fold up when you are going to throw away the blade when you are done using it.

• Sitka Gear