Aaron Johnson 18-Apr-14
Mule Power 19-Apr-14
CCH 19-Apr-14
Bou'bound 19-Apr-14
TD 19-Apr-14
drycreek 19-Apr-14
writer 19-Apr-14
18-Apr-14
Anyone know how to tell tom tracks from jake tracks. From what I have seen, an jakes outer toes are closer to the center toe and a jakes track is fatter and more flatfooted. A tom tends to walk more on his toes and the pad often does not touch the ground on hard ground.

18-Apr-14
Anyone know how to tell tom tracks from jake tracks. From what I have seen, an jakes outer toes are closer to the center toe and a jakes track is fatter and more flatfooted. A tom tends to walk more on his toes and the pad often does not touch the ground on hard ground.

18-Apr-14
I don't know about there but, here Tom's are a whole lot bigger.

18-Apr-14
TBM, No need to worry about the nuances of toe pressure. Just put the tracking spiders on the big track. When they fly, follow the big droppings.

18-Apr-14
Jake tracks usually continue on in to the woods, tom tracks end in a pile of feathers.

18-Apr-14

Thunderflight 's embedded Photo
Thunderflight 's embedded Photo
The tracks on the bottom right are that of a gobbler.

The tracks in the top left are jake tracks.

18-Apr-14
Who cares....

18-Apr-14
I do!! This can make the difference in success and failure. Sometimes I hunt for days just to find a tom to hunt. Hunting an area that has only jakes can lead to a waist of time. Everything counts. Little things like knowing when a squirrel is barking at a turkey or when crows are telling you "Turkey's over here". All the things play together for success if you know how to lesten and read sign.

18-Apr-14
I do.

18-Apr-14
Just ribbing you TBM. I'm not the guy who likes to tear down a thread, just giving you a hard time ;^)

19-Apr-14
Where I hunt the tom tracks are the ones with the big drag mark in between from the paintbrush beards. If you can't find those TBM ya'll need to relocate. Maybe try up north instead of hunting those little chickens down there.

19-Apr-14

CCH's Link

19-Apr-14
Don't sweat it. the difference between a big bird and a little bird is only five pounds.

19-Apr-14
Yeah, Bou', but given the compensation formula it's like a 100 lbs.....

19-Apr-14
I can tell 'em apart every time............if he's standing in 'em !

19-Apr-14
In "Bama, all the tom tracks are four inches wider apart, to make room for the two-inch spurs on both legs.

Bigger turkeys generally have bigger feet.

• Sitka Gear