Sitka Gear
Turkey Reaping
Turkey
Contributors to this thread:
Knife2sharp 18-Apr-14
18-Apr-14

Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's embedded Photo
I bought a neet DVD last year called Bustin Beaks by Turkey Reapers. You can search You Tube to see some of their videos and they do warn against doing this on public land and in wooded areas. I sure most of you turkey hunters have spotted turkeys in fields while driving around your propertay and you asked yourself, "how can I get in position to get a shot at them." You make your way around and get situated near the edge, peak out, and they're gone. In the 10-15 minutes it took you to figure out a game plan, they moved off and you don't know where.

The hunts on this DVD alone should seal the deal if you ever wondered about getting a strutter decoy. Since I started using them my success rate has sored. But after watching this DVD I was thinking, I don't want to lug around a full strutter and I need something a little more then just a fan on a stick.

What I came up with is geneious, and I should market it. I'm sure someone will see it, get the idea, and beat me too it. But I want to hunt and not sell stuff. I did design it for gun hunting, which I like more than archery equipment when it comes to turkeys, but you can use it with a bow. I bought a Flextone Thunder Chicken and mounted it on a monopod. The back of the decoy is just a flap of plastic and a velcro strap. It doesn't use a bolt and nut like the Primos decoys. Very easy to put on and off. I also spread the two center tail feathers with zip strips connected to feathers on either side. I want to be able to rest the gun on the pod, facing the turkey, instead of trying to get a shot off from the side. I could see a bow hunter being able to shoot through the middle as well. The only thing left is to try and figure out a way to leave it standing up right without holding it. The bottom portion of the stake easily fits inside the shell, it's just a matter of figuring out something, simple and quick to secure it to the mono pod.

I really suggest watching their videos. They frequently get shots at turkeys with bows at extreme close range. Many times the gobbler takes a few steps and stops. I think the reason why they don't spook if they see movement behind the fals tom is they used to turkerys walking very close together. They obviously have to see movement because their eyesight is so good, but probably thinks there is another tom behind the strutter.

• Sitka Gear