PAstringking 29-Apr-14
Dubblelunger 30-Apr-14
DonVathome 26-Jul-14
cityhunter 27-Jul-14
Bowboy 27-Jul-14
ozzyshane 12-Nov-14
Buffalo1 12-Nov-14
24-Apr-14
Long time stalker of Bowsite forums, first time participant. I was lucky enough to draw an ibex tag for the Oct. 1-14 season. Thought maybe I could tap into the experience of this awesome pool of bow hunters. If anyone can help with advice, it would be much appreciated!

24-Apr-14
Get in shape. When your done get in better shape. Get your 80-100 yard pins sighted in. They are easy to find but hard to get sub 100 yards

24-Apr-14
Its an awesome hunt. I drew the same tag. I think my brother summed it up when I told him. "you will be a manly man when you arrow an ibex".

It is a rough mountain for sure but as long as you are in shape, its not that bad. Its not really that tall. Its not like a forced march like sheep hunting can be. Just rough and broken with lots of cliffs.

If I was to make one suggestion, it would be to bring a really good extendable carbon hiking stick or two. It is really loose in alot of places.

You will be amazed where the ibex will go. It is so cool. My son took a really nice billy when he was 11 years old, with a rifle. We cheated. We had my friend along who is one of the best ibex hunters in the state and a real tough mountain hunter.

24-Apr-14
You really beat some tall odds drawing that tag. Congratulations.

24-Apr-14
+1 on walking sticks.

24-Apr-14
The thing I found different on the rock versus a lot of mountains is there is very little ridge line to walk when you get up there. You run into cliffs every little bit, so back down a ways and back up. Like people said be in shape, its just a rough cliff filled area. So also be careful. Mine was a muzz hunt not bow, shot a nice one not a giant. Probably the coolest animal I have hunted and watched run around cliffs like they are flat. Feel free to ask any questions you wish. Here should be a link to my pics https://picasaweb.google.com/115516601528181241557/Ibex?authkey=Gv1sRgCILiwqu5ioS6tgE

24-Apr-14
that is great good luck, I was just hunting a Ranch in West texas that had some giants on it awesome animal.

24-Apr-14
Congratulations,

Their are a couple of really good videos on you tube showing how tough this hunt and what you can expect.

Good Luck.

24-Apr-14

bradbear's embedded Photo
bradbear's embedded Photo
Mine mounted

24-Apr-14
Three things: Just because you can climb up it in the daylight, doesn't mean the down climb in the dark will go the same! Practice STEEP shooting angles. Get ready for a new addiction.

So, y'all the ones that got my second choice tag! Oh well, third choice Jan. is fine too- no buzz worms.

24-Apr-14
I would make sure to practice shooting in the wind! When I hunted it the wind blew so at times that it would blow you off your feet.

24-Apr-14
Speaking of wind...

Vanes on the arrows in your bow quiver can make it act like a windsock.

Gonna remove my arrows from the quiver next time I'm in a windy situation...I got screwed by this last Season on a windy ridge.

Never hunted Ibex...just my 2 cents!

24-Apr-14
Good luck to you. BB

24-Apr-14
Imagine the chunk of ground pulled out, turned over and placed on the ground near Deming when the Grand Canyon was made. Good boots with good ankle support, keep in mind blisters can happen here where they won't in the elk woods.

+1 on the walking stick(s). Lots of mine shafts on the ground in the area that are not marked, so be careful stumbling around in the dark. Don't take stupid chances going in somewhere. Always be thinking if you can get back out the way you go in - it's easy to slide down, but impossible to slide up.

Keep the Little Florida's in mind when down there. They hold a lot of goats on them too and is easier to get around on. What takes you 3 hours to traverse takes them 2 min...this is goat country so be prepared.

24-Apr-14
I will be down there on the Jan hunt. Been twice before with my dad. Once as a teenager and then about 6 years ago on a muzzleloader hunt. Both hunts were his but a lot of fun just the same. Good idea on those walking sticks. Get a good bow sling and a pack that you can attach your bow to. Good leather boots that are at least 9" tall is a must. Don't try to traverse the cliffs, it's not worth your life. There are a few videos on youtube of people climbing cliffs and it's insane! There will be times when you have to climb a small one or a ledge but stay off the big ones. I'm looking forward to my hunt as well. It's the only one I drew!

25-Apr-14
I will be going with a friend that drew the Jan season. Really looking forward to going.

28-Apr-14
Wow! I really appreciate all the advice! Sorry for the late reply, I was up in SE Idaho trying to call in a bear. (If anyone is interested, snow line is still pretty low. Wait 2 more weeks). I'm going to through a bunch of thoughts out here in response to all your comments, apologies if I don't thank you by name...

- Several people mentioned walking poles. It seems like they would get in the way if you had to use your hands to scramble up rocks. Is this not the case? - Still pretty warm in October. Anyone had any luck locating and hunting over springs/seeps? I have hunted quail around the Floridas several times and I know there are water holes at the base, but I assume the goats don't come down that low?

- Season is Oct. 1 -14, but I can only hunt 7 days. Any suggestions on which half to hunt? I've heard that opening week there are a lot of people pushing them up to the cliffs and they start to work their way down 2nd week.

- I was thinking of bivouacking up on the mountain instead of going up and down. I'm assuming I can find a 7'x3' somewhat flat area somewhere. Has anyone tried this before and is there any water up top to filter and refill?

- I have a good pair of Kenne's and the KUIU Icon 7200 pack along with the rest of the layering. Any other advice on gear? Snake gators?

- Anyone have a source for really good maps of the Floridas for recon? I'd like to do one with a satellite overlay for vegetation, etc.

- Any advice on specific peaks, basins, areas, etc. to start out in?

Thanks again for all the help. Only 5 months away! Hopefully the bear, mule deer and 2 elk hunts I have set up before then will help get me in shape as well!

BTW...Nice Billy BradBear!

28-Apr-14

HuntinFoolUtah's Link
Tons of good info here:

http://www.zacgriffith.com/hunting-ibex-florida-mountains/

28-Apr-14
Thanks, HuntinFool. I planned on hitting up Zac directly as well!

28-Apr-14
Thanks, HuntinFool. I planned on hitting up Zac directly as well!

28-Apr-14
Congratulations on drawing your Ibex tag. The Florida's are the most dangerous mountain in the lower 48. I have been able to hunt Ibex 5 different years and have harvested 4 Ibex, 3 were nannies and one nice billy. Years ago NM had a nanny hunt and if successful you were able to get a tag for any one Ibex. The billy I shot was a dangerous recovery, I had to go down a narrow finger that was about 5 ft wide in places with 100 ft cliffs on both sides of the finger. The Ibex was wounded and on a ledge that was about half way down a cliff. My son was with me and we went back to Deming and spent a sleepless night in a motel. Bought 500 ft. of rope and was going to make a rope ladder to go down and retrieve the Ibex as luck would have it the billy tried to move during the night and we found him after a long search at the bottom of the cliff he had fallen about 75 ft. His horns has scraped the cliff but were ok. I drew a bow tag last year and hunted 10 days without getting a shot. Just to give you an idea of the mountain and the terrain, I was glassing a group of about 50 Ibex above me that were moving across the face and they were running, jumping and just having fun. One of the Ibex dislodged a rock about the size of a basketball and I watched the rock fall until it hit bottom. While the rock was falling a did a slow count and got to 5 seconds before it hit anything did not bounce off the cliff face just a freefall. I did find out one thing last year and that is the mountain is a whole lot rougher and it took a lot longer to climb it than it did 25 years ago. I don't think it has anything to do with being 67 years young. One of my sons drew the bow hunt and I'll be there with him. Anyway be safe and have fun.

28-Apr-14
Dubblelunger, On your way on your Ibex hunt in Oct. Stop in and will give you more information about the area, if you are driving you will come through our town in 4-corners area.

28-Apr-14

Redman's embedded Photo
Redman's embedded Photo
Here is the terrain.

28-Apr-14
Zoom in too see the Ibex on the side of the cliffs.

28-Apr-14

Redman's embedded Photo
Redman's embedded Photo

28-Apr-14
Have you got that beast back from the taxidermist yet?

28-Apr-14
Nope, hoping to get it next month, but I'm going to need a good storm to pay the taxidermist bill. Still have 2 stags, whitetail, Coues, mule deer, and lion there, leaving for Alaska on Wednesday.

29-Apr-14

JRABQ's Link
Here is another short video, NMGF sent a link to this a few days ago.

29-Apr-14
Trevon is a hard hunter and said that this hunt was the most difficult thing he has ever tried.

Work for success but be ready to leave without a shot.

30-Apr-14
Thanks for the offer Old Timer. I may take you up on that.

I have hunted around the Floridas and have seen the terrain I'm getting into. Not that I don't think it will kick my ass - I know it will. I'm seems all the videos and threads I've seen show guys glassing from down low and then climbing to intercept or stalk. I've also really that the goats are pretty much spread out throughout the mountains and there are really no secret hot spots. If this is the case, would it be better to focus on the type of terrain that lends itself better to bow hunting and wait for the goats to visit? Also, really want to evaluate the water scenario. Is anyone aware of any active springs/seeps on the mountain I could stake out and possibly use for a water source myself? Not trying to reinvent the wheel here but it is pretty apparent the odds will be stacked against me and I'm just looking for a way to swing the odds a couple points in my favor.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and opinions! Can't wait to tackle this challenge. As far as being ready to accept leaving without a billy, I'm not...until something forces me to come to that realization - like the sun setting on the last day of my hunt;)

26-Jul-14
Water no. Snow to melt slim chance. Water is what makes backpacking tough but still doable. Especially if you love being thirsty and staring at your water supply all the time knowing you can not drink hardly any of it. Swallowing the water you use to to rinse your mouth out to brush your teeth. Being tempted to lick frost of your tent. For real.

Tough hunt. Study movements, build a blind and wait. Sneaking up is nearly impossible - by far the most wary animal in NA with the keenest senses. Hands down.

27-Jul-14
best of luck

27-Jul-14
Good luck! Make sure you practice in the wind!

12-Nov-14
How did the hunt go Thnaks Shane

12-Nov-14
Good luck- a beautiful animal and a challenging hunt.

Got some buddies that have taken them with gunpowder, but not with a bow.

• Sitka Gear