WV Runner 29-Sep-14
Bou'bound 29-Sep-14
Turk 29-Sep-14
LWood 29-Sep-14
PAstringking 29-Sep-14
t-roy 29-Sep-14
Toby 30-Sep-14
25-Apr-14
On Sept 1st, I will be starting a backpack goat hunt in the Misty Fjords wilderness in Alaska. If successful I will be going over to prince of whales for blacktail deer. This will be my first trip to Alaska ever and I have know idea what to expect. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

25-Apr-14
be prepare mentally y physically for a tough hunt. The place and the landscape is amazing. Bring a very good pair of boots, raingear and binoculars. Enjoy every moment and be safe

25-Apr-14
Good luck Aaron, I think you're in for an exciting adventure! I will be on POW Aug 22 - Sep 8...my first time in Alaska as well.

25-Apr-14
Search for some of the arguments on raingear. HH and others and you will get some idea. I've goat hunted Prince of Wales (the English guy) three times and you can expect rain about 80% of the time.

25-Apr-14
There is a possibility that WV might tag out and be over to the Cabin before Panhandle catches the ferry. That would be sweet ... a little crowded but sweet.

Bobby called last night and we talked strategy and lake plans. He wants to hunt W*********r Lake, weather permitting. Very few Goats have been taken out of there and it's been several years. There should be a nice Billy around.

Toby is right, mental prep is as important as physical prep.

Looking forward to it.

26-Apr-14
My only advice is to take good notes. I will be on the same hunt, Sept.1 of 2015.

26-Apr-14
Another possibility..depending on where you are is fall black bear and silver salmon! I combined all of them in a trip a couple years ago.

26-Apr-14
Pat, I can't tell you how many time I've read that hunt and I am sure I will hit it a few more times over the summer before I go...even though I'm not doing the goat hunt. Deer and bear will have to do this trip :)

That would be cool Johnnie...The prep, training, gear list...the anticipation is killing me! Can't wait to get there!

26-Apr-14
Larry,

Are you talking about Prince William Sound? I didn't know there were Mountain Goats on Prince of Wales Island. If so, I'd like to hunt them.

On a goat hunt, if you get tired and discouraged, stop and rest. Even wait till the next day of you have to, but don't give up.

27-Apr-14
Bob, You're right, I wasn't paying attention. I'm going to the Whidbey Bay/Day Harbor unit south and east of Seward.

I was in there 5 years ago with my son and at my age, slow is the new fast.

27-Apr-14
like others have said...good rain gear and mental toughness

have a great hunt and good luck

29-Apr-14
Thanks guy for all the info! Johnnie and Panhandle Bob, that would be awesome to tag a goat and head down to the cabin early! Jims, if the gods are smiling and I get two tags filled with hunting days left I would love to get a chance at an alaskan black bear! The physical part I think I have under control, the mental part I try to prepare myself every day for the agony of being fogged in! I think the hardest part might be waiting for Sept to get here!!!

03-Aug-14
Good luck

03-Aug-14
I also hunted with Johnnie and Bobby in the Misty's "Great guys" and killed a P&Y goat with my bow in the craigies!! Mine was in 2000. Very nice place seen lots of goats and a few Black bears and 2 grizzlies!! In them days it was a 2 Goat area!! You will have a great time!!

Aaron

03-Aug-14
Make sure to bring a good pair of waterproof gloves for the devil's club! I would also advise a pair of telescoping trekking poles for the goat "hills". A waterproof camera would also be nice.

14-Sep-14
How did the hunt go?

14-Sep-14
Would love to hear how it went!!

29-Sep-14
I had a truly great Alaskan expierence with a great outfitter and guide! The goats didn't work out and that was entirly on me. I have 100% confidence that Bobby would have gotten me a shot at a goat. But we flew to POW to try our luck there and I learned A LOT about alpine hunting!! Had a great hunt, killed a good mature deer and a bear of a lifetime. Got to catch my first salmon and a few crabs. Muskeg, I cant think you and Bobby enough!

29-Sep-14
Glad it was a great trip with memories. What do you mean that you have 100% confidence that the guide would have gotten you a shot at a goat.?

29-Sep-14
I made the call to leave goat country and head to POW. We were on goats day one. So I called the goat hunt and headed to hunt deer and bear and that muskeg is a great outfitter that I would highly recommend him for goat. If I had stuck it out, I would've had a shot at a goat.

29-Sep-14
Aaron, It was good to meet you and hang out a bit at the cabin. Congrats again on the deer...and the bear!

29-Sep-14
Likewise Bob! I enjoyed meeting you and spending time with you. I hope to do it again some day (hopefully soon)!

29-Sep-14
photos please

29-Sep-14

WV Runner's embedded Photo

29-Sep-14

29-Sep-14

Sorry for double posting the Bear

29-Sep-14
beauties for sure. what a beast of a bear. share details of the stalk and shot.

29-Sep-14
Congrats!

29-Sep-14
Congratulations on both, great animals!

29-Sep-14
Great trophies congrats!!

29-Sep-14
Congrats!

30-Sep-14
Nice trophies!!!! Congrats

• Sitka Gear