glidingindian 11-Aug-14
rtkreaper 22-Aug-14
Dwitt2n 23-Aug-14
rtkreaper 14-Sep-14
DL 14-Sep-14
rtkreaper 15-Sep-14
rtkreaper 17-Sep-14
28-Apr-14
Tore my quadriceps tendon and am looking at surgery. Anyone have any experience with this. Will see a surgeon this week and am wondering what the recovery time is. Have a caribou hunt coming up in late August/early Sept. Will I be recovered enough by then? Any advice appreciated. Rory

28-Apr-14
Bummer. Hope you heal quickly.

29-Apr-14
Had that done a year ago. I'd take walking sticks just in case you need them. I was hunting in steep terrain between 6500-7500 ft elevation in October. A little slower but I'm 64 and had spent the last two years having 8 different surgeries on that same knee. Leg lifts will be an important rehab after you get your cast off. If you were in shape before this will be just a hiccup for you.

29-Apr-14
Rory....I sent you a PM last night....

30-Apr-14
Dave, message received. Thanks. I will let you know what is happening on Thursday. Rory

03-May-14
If you have a complete quadriceps tendon tear right where it inserts into the patella (kneecap) and you are healthy with good tissue the prognosis is very good for an excellent recovery long term. Late august hunt is possible but pushing the envelope in my opinion. Many variables such as age, quality of tissue, diabetic , partial or complete tear , terrain and physical demand of hunt etc. Some research shows those with low testosterone higher risk for these tears, might want to check it. Be careful, a re-tear can be tough Good luck!

03-May-14
The way this is dragging out I may never get it done. Was supposed to see a surgeon last week but the wonderful hospital scheduled me to see the wrong doctor and into the cancer department. That is the second time they have done this to me over the years. Only in my world I guess. Rory

03-May-14
P.S. I can't get in to see a surgeon now for two weeks. Figure in a pre op physical and that pushes things to at least the first of June. Will probably let it go to late this fall. Rory

03-May-14
.....Rory...glidingindian has some pretty good advice...why not also email Drew (our camp) and see what his thoughts are.. ....again...my thoughts - the longer it gets put off, the longer you're staring out the window wondering when the snow is gonna stop......

04-May-14
Pm sent

04-May-14
On my bicep tendon tear they had to use a cadaver tendon to reattach it because of the time lost between the tear and surgey. They were prepared to do the same on my quad but were able stretch it enough to attach it. My knee cap was sticking sideways straight out. I couldn't sit and lift my leg into a straight position. Walking was experienced by frequent falls because since I couldn't straighten my leg it would buckle. Are you having any problem with your leg doing that? Not sure if the longer you wait if there's any problems that can occur. I hope it works out for you.

04-May-14
DL, My main problem is going up and down stairs. Also, sitting with my knee bent is very painful. Funny, walking really doesn't seem to bother it very much. It's a good thing I have a very high pain threshold or I would be having a cookie and hugging my Teddy bear. My knee did give out a couple times but so far have caught myself before going down. Thanks Rory

04-May-14
Is your quad tendon torn or ruptured? I had an explosive quad tendon rupture, bilaterally. I was on a Constant Passive Motion machine for 4 weeks with minimal weight bearing and no movement under pressure. As time went on, my leg braces were adjusted for range of motion increases. To get me back together, it took almost a year to get returned to normal, as well as 10 operations. I hope you get squared away quickly and heal up well.

Peace, Jay

05-May-14
Jay, As far as I know it is just a tear. Haven't talked to a doctor since I had an MRI. The worst part is I really rely on that knee because I am an amputee on the other side. Makes it hard to hop when my leg is off. Have had a lot of physical problems so this is just another bump in the road. No big deal. Alot of people have real problems. See you on the tundra. Rory

05-May-14
That's the attitude to have Rory! If you can get up in the morning and dress yourself and see good enough to shoot life ain't too bad.

05-May-14
If the wife is content, the roof doesn't leak, pickup runs and there is meat in the freezer, I am a happy camper. Doesn't pay to worry about the trivial things in life. See you on the tundra. Rory

05-May-14
.....Rory & I hunted together with JHA in 2012.....I can attest to his attitude & for an old guy - pretty tough dude... :)

06-May-14
Dave, tough yes, old, not in my mind. Have to remind myself once in a while how old I really am. Definitely not a teeny bopper any more. See you on the tundra. Rory

13-May-14
Finally saw a surgeon today. Sounds like pretty serious surgery and a lengthy recovery. Will still try to make my caribou hunt in late August. See you on the tundra. Rory

18-May-14
Surgery is scheduled for May 22nd. Will be glad to get this surgery over with. Hopefully, if I behave myself it will be a smooth, speedy recovery so I can make my caribou hunt in Sept. Rory

18-May-14
good luck ,, I compare the human body to a old chev if u lift the hood u will find a ton of things wrong, but yet keeps going . Keep us posted and best of health on the surgery..

20-May-14
.....Good luck there old Bean.....keep me posted.....

21-May-14
Thanks Dave. Really anxious to get this over with. Leg is starting to drag and my back is really sore. Been trying to get a lot of projects done before the surgery on Thursday. Still don't know what time I go in. Trying to stay positive so I made my hotel reservations today for Quebec. Gives me something to work for at rehab and something to look forward to. Hope I'm not cutting it to close. Will let you know how things went on Thursday. See you on the tundra. Rory

21-May-14
Good luck Rory!

21-May-14
Yeah good luck with that catheter when you wake up.

21-May-14
Holy crap!! Have to be at the hospital at 5:00 AM. I don't even get up that early to go hunting anymore. Rory

21-May-14
Rory its better than having to wait to noon and be starving, be thinking of you brother. Look forward to hear how you're doing. The cast will be a nuisance. I could still get in and out if my wife's Honda civic and drive it though.

22-May-14
Keep us posted and good luck!

22-May-14
Albert, made it home in one piece. Everything went great according to my surgeon. The pain hasn't kicked in yet since they gave me a nerve block. Have a full length leg brace and will have to use a walker for a while and then crutches as you well know. Sitting here with my kryo-cuff on. Steps are a real challenge right now but practice makes perfect. So far it is great to be pain free but will see what happens when the pain block wears off. (soon) Thanks for your concern and advice, I appreciate it very much. See you on the tundra. (hopefully) Rory

23-May-14
Rory- glad all went well. Am a big fan of nerve blocks, cryogenic-cuff etc. sounds like you got to the right place. With your attitude you should do great. Keep us all posted..Albert

23-May-14
Good deal! Run on over as the rehab allows :)

23-May-14
Holy crap!!! The nerve block wore off. I definitely need a hug and a cookie. Thank God my wife is here to help me out. Boy, I never thought I would say that!!!! Pain killers and ice are starting to kick in so starting to feel better. See you on the tundra. Rory

23-May-14
....Rory.....glad to hear all went well.....I could ask Barb to send some chocolate chip cookies your way - but your on your own with the hugs.. :) .. good luck with the rehab.......rest easy.....

24-May-14
Owwweee!! Very painful so far. Hopefully when the dressing comes off tomorrow it will feel better. Rory

25-May-14
Pain let up today. Knee is feeling much better now. Hopefully I won't go out and do something stupid to hurt it. Never been known to follow doctors orders to well. See you on the tundra. Rory

26-May-14
Pain is back. What the heck. Don't think I did anything to hurt it. Minor setback I guess. Rory

29-May-14
Knee is starting to feel a little better. The pain isn't to bad. Get the stitches out on Tuesday and then hopefully start some rehab. Rory

29-May-14
Keep at it Rory!

31-May-14
Thanks to glidingindian for all the advice and his expertise before and after surgery. He helped me out a lot. Pain is a lot better and things seem to be going well over all. See Doc next week to get stitches out and will hopefully start rehab soon. If I don't do anything dumb, hopefully I can make my caribou trip this fall. See you on the tundra. Rory

04-Jun-14
Knee seems to be coming along nicely.Incision healed well and pain level isn't to bad although still taking pain pills. Saw Doc yesterday which was a total waste of time but they did schedule me to start rehab on Monday. So, all in all things are going OK I guess. See you on the tundra. Rory

06-Jun-14
Another hurdle overcome. Took my first real shower since my surgery. Felt great but was scary since i was afraid I would slip and bend my knee. Another small victory in the long battle. Just keep plugging along. See you on the tundra. Rory

06-Jun-14
keep up the good work my friend

10-Jun-14
First rehab session went well I guess. Got my knee to bend to 90 degrees which I guess was good. Therapist made me sweat a little but pain wasn't to bad. Looking forward to getting rid of the crutches but I guess that is a few weeks away yet. Lots of work ahead. See you on the tundra. Rory

10-Jun-14
Good to hear. You're on your way to hunting season!

14-Jun-14
Good to hear that your knee seems to be coming along and rehab went well. Stay strong Rory. Look forward to seeing you up north.

Richard

14-Jun-14
Rory, keep at it but dont push it too hard. I'm on the tail end of two achilles surgeries....slipped 6 weeks after my first surgery and re-ruptured it and had second surgery and doc put me in a full leg cast for 3 months. Had skin graft/skin flap surgery in December because incision was not healing after second surgery because I blew original incision open when I slipped. Original rupture was last July 24 and I still have some issues. Good luck Rory.

14-Jun-14
Thanks guys for your support and advice. Knee seems to be coming along nicely. Not to much pain and am getting some flexibility back during exercises. jmb ,I am very careful about slipping and falling. Taking my first shower after surgery was a scary experience. Incisions not healing had a lot to do with my other leg being amputated years ago. See you on the tundra. Rory

16-Jun-14
Rory,

Sounds like you will be back again in September.

16-Jun-14
Another milestone today. Therapist told me I can get rid of the crutches and use a cane. Doesn't hurt to much to put full weight on it and some flexibility coming back so things seem to be coming along nicely. See you on the tundra. Rory

17-Jun-14
Dave, still waiting for my chocolate chip cookies!!! Rory

17-Jun-14
.....every time Barb makes a batch - I do a test cookie - just to be sure....and lo and behold.....somehow they all end up gone.....not exactly sure what happens, but sooner or later - it will click and I'll have an answer...... :)

17-Jun-14
Victory is mine!! Took my first sauna in about a month and boy did that feel good. Sat on the bottom bench and didn't take much steam but it was great. Cruised in my 61 Impala and took a sauna in the same day. LIFE IS GOOD!!! See you on the tundra. Rory

17-Jun-14
Dave, I have the same trouble with stuff disappearing but in my case I just forget where I put it. Had a bunch of caribou hard salami made to get rid of some meat. It is excellent but am sick of it. If you would like some I could over night it to you. Rory

18-Jun-14
Wow Rory, sounds like you are doing very good. That's good to hear.

18-Jun-14
Rory, I'll bring you a hunk of antelope and sample some salami. Send me your cell # and when you will be around.

18-Jun-14
Dan, If you are going to be home tonight about five o'clock or so I could bring some over to you. Rory

18-Jun-14
Doing my workout after work. Later is fine though. My cell is 258-7419.

18-Jun-14
Dan my home phone is 744-2190. Did you find your package hanging on the door? Rory

19-Jun-14
That's good stuff! Thank you!

20-Jun-14
Having a little setback today. For some reason my calf is swollen to about twice the normal size. Will try to get in to a doctor tomorrow to see what the heck is going on. See you on the tundra. Rory

20-Jun-14
Swelling is much less today. My calf is pretty much back to normal. Some kind of weird hiccup I guess. Rory

21-Jun-14
PM sent Rory............

25-Jun-14
Knee is coming along great and rehab is going good. Can flex my knee to 110 degrees already. Therapist is impressed that I can do all my exercises including leg lifts, pain free. (Mostly) Am using a cane now, and forget that half the time. Have been faithfully doing all my exercises at home and busting my butt. No excuses. It helps to have a caribou hunt staring you in the face in about 8 weeks to give you plenty of incentive. See you on the tundra. Rory

30-Jun-14
Knee is still coming along nicely. Pretty much pain free and can flex knee to 130 degrees. Start working with weights next week so another challenge in sight. Working out faithfully and getting better fast. Looking forward to getting rid of the leg brace but don't see my surgeon for to weeks. Hard work pays off I guess. See you on the tundra. Hunt is coming up fast. Rory

03-Jul-14
Knee is still coming along well. Started riding the stationary bike today and start weights next week. Have pretty much abandoned my cane except for stairs and walking on uneven ground. Still staying faithful to the exercises and working out. Feeling pert like a rutting Buck. See you on the tundra. Rory

17-Jul-14
Go to see my surgeon tomorrow for a follow up. Hopefully I can get rid of my leg brace. Leave for Quebec in about six weeks. See you on the tundra. Roru

18-Jul-14
Finally, got rid of my leg brace today. Doctor said I could resume normal activities, just be careful. Knee is still a little sore and weak but now without the brace hopefully it will get stronger. Will keep up the exercises and rehab for a few more weeks. Thanks for all the advice and support over the last eight weeks. See you on the tundra. Rory

18-Jul-14
Good to hear.

19-Jul-14
...congrats Rory..... :)

20-Jul-14
Gotta send us a bunch of pics of your hunt.

31-Jul-14
Well, hit one of my final goals today and finished up with my physical therapy. Was a pretty long and painful ordeal and am glad that therapy is done. Knee is still pretty sore and painful when I have to sit with the knee bent, but other wise is pretty good. Walking doesn't bother it much at all. Hopefully, the knee will hold up well on my hunting trip and not give me to many problems. Will keep up with the exercises and continue to try to build up the strength in the knee. See you on the tundra. Rory

31-Jul-14
What is your departure date for the Caribou hunt?

31-Jul-14
Medicinemann, my actual hunt dates are Sept. 3 - 9, but I will be there a week earlier to fish, goof off,visit and maybe do some hunting. I take a laid back,take it easy, no panic approach to caribou hunting. Take things as they happen and don't bitch about things. If you get weathered in a day or two, even better. You can't control things so it doesn't pay to worry about them. Roll with the punches. See you on the tundra. Rory

02-Aug-14
Are you hunting in Alaska or Canada?

I could understand Alaska, but if Canada, I assume that the hunt has to be guided.....and my question was going to be "Is the outfitter allowing you to show up a week early in camp?" That would be great.....unusual (unless you paid extra), but great.....

02-Aug-14
Be loyal to your outfitter. return year after year and you will become their friend. Have spent alot of time up there and brought a lot of friends.so they return the favor.See you on the tundra. Rory

02-Aug-14
Knee is much better now that I am done with rehab. Stairs are still my nemesis but will conquer them soon. Time to stop whining and get ready for caribou hunting. See you on the tundra. Rory

10-Aug-14
Knee was very sore for a few days for some reason. Made me question my sanity about going caribou hunting in just over 2 weeks. It feels much better now and things are back on track, will just have to be careful up there and not do anything dumb. Looking forward to my time up there and am pretty much ready to go. See you on the tundra, a little slow and gimpy. Don't wait for me, I'll get there eventually. Rory

10-Aug-14
Rory, my foot/achilles was the same way a few days ago. There was no rhyme or reason to the soreness but it feels alot better now.

10-Aug-14
We are looking forward to pics! You are one tough dude,

11-Aug-14
We are looking forward to pics! You are one tough dude,

22-Aug-14
Knee is feeling pretty good. No pain at all when walking. I still get a few twinges of pain when I am sitting with my knee bent but all in all things have come out pretty good. Wish I had it done sooner. Leave for Montreal in four days, hopefully the drive won't be to painful. Looking forward to getting up there, it's been a long painful summer. See you on the tundra. Rory

23-Aug-14
....Rory...I'll give a call this weekend....

14-Sep-14
Well, I made it back in one piece but just barely. The knee did not hold up well at all. Hurt like crazy and did not have the strength to do much climbing in the hills. Steps became a nightmare again. Should have cancelled my hunt. Did manage to get two caribou right away and then hung out in camp. Great time other wise. Every one in camp was beat up so I wasn't the only one hurting. Already looking forward to next year. See you on the tundra. Rory

14-Sep-14
Well Done man! The more difficult the hunt the better the memories. You'll look back and be happy you didn't cancel it. These hurdles in life prepare us for the next one. The high ones make the lower ones a breeze.

15-Sep-14
Going back to see the surgeon again on Wednesday. Something is definitely not right in my knee. Really hurts and sore. See you on the tundra. Rory

17-Sep-14
Doctor said my knee is fine. Still early in the healing process. He said it will take 6 to 8 months more to get rid of all pain and return to full strength. See you on the tundra. Rory

• Sitka Gear