Sitka Gear
Back in the saddle again and have some ?
Bowfishing
Contributors to this thread:
Butternut40 01-May-14
ahunter55 01-May-14
Butternut40 01-May-14
Bluff Bucks 01-May-14
Butternut40 01-May-14
t-roy 01-May-14
Beendare 01-May-14
Hollywood 01-May-14
Butternut40 01-May-14
01-May-14
It's been 25 years since I last shot a carp or any rough fish for that matter with my bow. Well yesterday I made a run to the archery store and bought a cajun tape on spool along with an arrow. Basic yes but I am good to go. 45 pound recurve is now set.

Some questions, has anyone ever tied the string to a fishing pole such as a musky rod? My thought was to have the line attached to the musky rod so after the shot (line peels off the bow spool) I could pick up the rod and reel the fish in. Am I asking for trouble with too much stuff in the way just waiting for a big tangle?

I thought about bringing a big garbage can and putting it in my boat to throw the carp in.

Where/What is a good way to dispose of the carp once you shoot?

Any other west metro (twin cities MN) shooters here?

Can hardly wait to get back into it. Just might check out the river mouths and shallow back bays of some lakes this weekend.

01-May-14
Not sure how the rod/reel would work. Long ago, we taped spinning reel on our hunting stabilizer without the bail & used a small piece of tape to keep it from spooling off. Have to retape after every shot but you can reel them in. Good idea not to just leave them lay as some do. They could make great garden fertilizer but not sure about smell that might occur if not buried..

01-May-14
The cajun spool comes with 50 feet of 80 pound test dacron. Seems kinda short but I assume shots will be within 10 yards if I remember right.

01-May-14
Butternut, Im just north of the cities if you ever want to go out at night to bowfish let me know. I have a 20 ft jon boat with a shooting deck and lights and go out often.I enjoy taking people out and have some good spots west of cities.

01-May-14
Hey Bluff Bucks that sounds like a good plan. I have never tried it at night.

I also have some spots and land west of metro (Cokato Area) that we could do a dump of fish if necessary.

For daytime I plan on using my Ranger. It has nice deck up front and on back. I just would need to clean it good before family goes out with me LOL.

Let's keep in touch.

01-May-14
I have some friends that bowfish. They give all of their fish to the Hmongs. They are happy to get them & my friends don't have to find a place to get rid of the fish.

01-May-14
Can i just say this without sounding like an azz...the fishing pole is a terrible idea.

Its so easy to mount a reel with a short rod to your bow and its all right there...with more leverage than the fishing rod will give you.

01-May-14
AMS retriever.

...nuff said.

01-May-14
Beendare, I beat you to it. When I got home tonight after work I cut the line. Heck, it was even getting tangled up in my living room. Sometimes one has to try LOL

• Sitka Gear