VENISONJUNKY 01-Nov-14
LCH 01-Nov-14
Ace 05-Nov-14
Teeton 05-Nov-14
Z Barebow 05-Nov-14
arctichill 06-Nov-14
21-May-14

Ace's Link
The Antihunting Animal Rights Organization HSUS (Humane Society f the United States) has managed to get a referendum on the ballot for November in the state of Maine to ban Bear Hunting over Bait and with Dogs, and Bear Trapping.

I am proposing that every Bowsite member donate $1 (or more) to defeat this referendum.

The link will take you to a page where you can donate via credit card or Pay Pal.

Please make a contribution, and please ask every hunter and outdoorsmen that you know to help out.

21-May-14

Ace's Link
This link will take you to a page that will explain: Why Maine’s Anti-Bear Hunting Referendum is Important to You

Maine has over 30,000 bears, and that number has grown by 67% since 1990. They are doing things right from a management perspective and the small businesses that depend on revenue from Hunters are at risk.

As you well know, the Animal Rights people are well financed and well organized. Let's show them that hunters stand up for what they believe in.

Even if you don't hunt bears, or don't like hunting over bait or with dogs, I think almost everyone will agree that we should leave Wildlife Management decisions to the professionals and those most informed.

21-May-14

Ace's Link
One more link with relevant information.

Feel free to comment on this topic and add links and info. I will not allow this to develop into a debate on whether or not bear hunting over bait is ethical. If you want to have that argument, start your own thread.

21-May-14
Done!

And much more than $1

21-May-14
Done and ditto.

21-May-14
Done & ditto also

21-May-14
Is there some information on what the money's being spent and who's in charge of spending it?

21-May-14
Worth a buck for sure.

21-May-14
Done from CO. One point to make is that in the states where this legislation has passed, more bears are being killed and wasted by the Departments of Wildlife from being problem bears then ever before. In Colorado our bear populations have increased greatly, bears are not afraid of humans at all and the state is spending hundreds of thousands if not millions on problem bears since they have n fear of humans.

I watched as a kid when we lost hound hunting, spring hunting and baiting, and all trapping. As a high school student I saw the end result before it even started. Every week bears are shot by the government here because they are in the trash, in the house, etc.

Atleast when we had hound hunting a dog bark would make a bear turn and run away. Today they hear a dog bark and go looking for food.

Good luck I hope it does not pass. I will share link on other websites.

21-May-14
Ace, ditto and ditto

21-May-14
Great job guys, thanks for all your support.

At this point the effort has to be directed towards Maine voters because when you put an item like this on a ballot, there is no way to know what direction it will go.

You have a ton of partially informed, and totally uninformed voters making the decisions that should be left up to the Professionals.

21-May-14
I don't usually donate dollars for special projects like this. What I do though is I make sure to support my provincial Bowhunting organizations and the P&Y club by purchasing memberships, attending their banquets, bidding in their fundraising auctions etc. When situations like this arise, they are the first people I go to when looking for help.

21-May-14
I'm in. We all have to sick together on stuff like this.

To the guys that are on the fence on this. Would a few dollars be that hard.

Ed

21-May-14
great job ace

21-May-14
Dollars on the way...fight the good fight

21-May-14
Done and more then a dollar. I hope the good guys win this one.

21-May-14
Done and ditto. I have never hunted bear nor do I have any desire to, but when the antis hit in KS I hope you Main boys will be there to help us too! Give em all you got!!!

21-May-14
Thanks for the heads up ace. I will say that I've never hunted bears either but look forward to a Maine bear hunt in the future if it doesn't get banned. I've contributed to the PA Sunday hunting in past and will continue to help in the future.

The HSUS will not stop until their goal of NO HUNTING ANYWHERE is accomplished. We have to stick together on this one or don't complain when it comes to your state and no one moves one finger to help you.

Step up to the plate now.

22-May-14
Hope it helps. Glad to contribute. We lost hound hunting last year here. Using hounds is one of the best ways to insure you don't shoot a sow with cubs. You have a chance to evaluate the bear to see if its large enough. I know it happens when someone spots a bear and has shot it theres a chance there maybe cubs around. Personally I'd rather have put the money towards a rocket to launch towards there headquarters. Bear hunting in Maine would be extremely difficult if you eliminated these two types of hunting because how dense the forests are there. I have no sympathy for people's homes that are going to be broken into here now. This last season less than half the bears were harvested that are historically taken because of the elimination if hounds. There's bears in places here that haven't been in over 100 years. Keep us updated please Dave from California.

22-May-14
Done. Keep us informed

22-May-14
Done...and I don't even bowhunt in Maine or for bears!

22-May-14
Sent em $20

Easy PayPal or CC link -thx for the heads up

23-May-14
quote: "IdyllwildArcher - Is there some information on what the money's being spent and who's in charge of spending it? "

Always a good idea to reassure yourself about this stuff. The organization that formed up to spearhead this effort is savemainesbearhunt.com

To gauge their credibility take a look at their endorsements. Sportsmans Alliance of Maine, Maine Professional Guides Association and North Maine Woods are among the largest Maine organizations throwing their support to them. Endorsment link: http://savemainesbearhunt.com/endorsements/ but there's a heap of other heavy hitters on the list also.

My guess is that similar to the last referendum on this subject, most of the money will be spent on TV ads to combat the massive media blitz that the Anti's pulled last time.

Thanks Ace for getting this issue some attention here.

23-May-14
Donated and done. Always happy to help fight the anti hunting clowns.

24-May-14
I'm glad you guys see how important it is to help out. If we all support each other, and contribute a few bucks, we can send these crazies back where they belong. Lets keep this thread near the top and get the word out to even more people.

15-Oct-14
Time to bring this back to the top!

15-Oct-14
Ttt then !

17-Oct-14
ttt

17-Oct-14
Amazing how a thread on Mechanical Broadheads, or High Fence Hunts or by controversial member can generate hundreds of posts, and probably thousands of people reading it, but one asking for: a $1 donation for OUR CAUSE, is so lonely.

Once again, it's the few carrying the weight for the many.

Are we so self absorbed that we can't see what is happening to us?

We are being systematically divided and conquered. Look around people. States like Colorado and Washington and (cough) California have already lost a lot of Hunting and Trapping Opportunities.

Something as ridiculously obvious as Sunday Hunting is too tough of an issue to get passed in some places.

A NATIONAL ANTI HUNTING, ANTI PET, ANTI ZOO, ANTI ANIMAL RESEARCH, ANIMAL RIGHTS ORGANIZATION tries to impose its will on Traditional Hunting Methods in a rural state like Maine, and we as hunters, blood brothers, barely register it as a blip!

The 3 methods of Bear Hunting that this referendum would outlaw are responsible for 93% of the Bears taken in Maine. It doesn't matter if you like baiting, or hound hunting, or trapping, these methods are Scientifically supported and the Maine bear population is growing even with these things legal.

Sometimes I think that Liberals, and ARAs are just so miserable that they are trying to bring others down to their level. They think that since the feel things so strongly they have to be right.

The best way to deal with this is to donate a few bucks, defeat this overwhelmingly, and make the city based crazies say "wow, I had no idea they would feel this strongly about hunting, I guess we underestimated them".

Instead our apathy plays right into their hands.

Come On guys, Kick them where it hurts!

17-Oct-14
I am in..........

18-Oct-14
The United Bowhunters of New Mexico (UBNM) gladly made a contribution. Thanks Ace!...Good Luck.

19-Oct-14
I just sent 10 to the cause, good luck in the fight.

19-Oct-14
in

19-Oct-14
Done from Colorado! Good luck.

19-Oct-14
Ace and all the folks who have stepped up, thanks for the help on this Referendum. There's a lot of folks here in Maine who are fighting hard for our hunting privileges, by raising $, by talking with their neighbors, by displaying the signs and bumper stickers and by attending benefit events & raffles, etc. And every bit of help is really appreciated. Gonna be a close one I'm afraid.

20-Oct-14
Happy to help Hurricane, We are all in this together.

I just hope that folks in Maine take this seriously and show up to vote. In my experience there is a lot of the "they will never take hunting away from us" attitude.

Turnout is going to be the determining factor here.

Contribute if you can guys, and let's get the word out!

These anti-hunters will be coming soon to a state near you, if they aren't already there.

20-Oct-14
Done...Lets keep this up top...I would hope each and every Bowsite member consider a contribution...

22-Oct-14
quote: "These anti-hunters will be coming soon to a state near you, if they aren't already there. "

And that's the truly sucky part, having to continually be on this issue.

Ace, I already (gently) put the bite on the person that turned me on to BOWSITE a couple years back.LOL!

22-Oct-14

hurricane's Link
Try that pic thing again.

22-Oct-14
anyone that won't spend a dollar to save hunting, SHAME ON YOU!!! If HSUS hasn't caused problems in your state, they will sometime. They funded the effort to stop an attempt to block this kind of action in AZ a few years ago. There were 4 other states with similar intent at the same time, but they deemed AZ the weakest and spent all their money here and won. Hopefully we can try again sometime and stop this madness. Wildlife biology belongs in the hands of the pros, not the ballot box.

22-Oct-14
I dont want to enter my name, phone number, address...

23-Oct-14
Crankn101,

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my info to enter. I'm proud to be associated with donating to this cause. I have contributed already and will continue to do so. If you want to contribute and use my info instead of yours, I prefer that over you not contributing. I'm not an expert on this online contribution stuff, but as long as you donating on my behalf doesn't break any laws then do it. If that's not legal/appropriate you can PM me and we can do it differently. Regardless, everyone here should be contributing however possible. ..no excuses not to.

23-Oct-14
CrankN, what is your issue with entering information?

You are registered here on Bowsite, I assume that's your real name and state. Did you ever try googling yourself, pretty amazing the info that comes up.

Nobody can tell you what to do, but as Hunters if we don't help each other out, who will?

Not to worry though, I'll send them $5 more, since you're unwilling to.

I'm curious, why did you feel the need to post here that you don't want to enter your name, phone number and address? Why didn't you just not post at all? Is that out of some sort of guilt for not contributing? I find that a bit odd.

23-Oct-14
Ace just because guys are not posting does not mean they are not contributing.

23-Oct-14
Done from NJ sent one in for my dad also....

Funny that we were just talking about this, he just came home from a moose hunt up there and he said the people up there are really worried about this.

I just don't see how they can loose that kind of revenue...

23-Oct-14
Drummr Boy, I hope you're right! I know that a lot of people like to contribute quietly, I just want to make sure that this issue stays front of mind, because some guys still haven't heard about it, and every little bit helps.

Nanuke, the problem is that a lot of people have moved to Maine fairly recently who feel differently than we do. This is why managing wildlife by public referendum is a bad idea. People moving from places like Boston to Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine, have shifted the voting significantly to the left.

Many Liberals left Mass because of high taxes, bad gun laws and an anti business attitude. They went to places with a very different quality of life, unfortunately they kept voting for people who brought liberal policies to formerly conservative states. Taxes went up, gun laws get worse and now hunting is in their crosshairs.

Thanks to everyone who is helping out with contributions and by spreading the word.

23-Oct-14
I don't feel we can defeat the antis no matter how much money we throw at them---the only way we can slow these antis down is introducing more kids to hunting, fishing, camping, hiking etc.-- get the kids off the internet and give them a breath of fresh air--we are loosing our next generation of hunter-- this is how we can continue to be a strong force-- the bigger the army the stronger we are-- just my thoughts-

23-Oct-14
Done $1 plus

24-Oct-14
Done thanks for heads up

24-Oct-14
$10 more to help the good guys!

31-Oct-14
It appears that we are having an effect! Recent polls show that just in the last few months more Maine residents say that they are aware of this issue and as awareness grows so does the support to KEEP Bear hunting by these traditional methods.

AND, fund raising support has been strong. Almost 100% of the funds being spent to push the ban come from out of Maine, and more than half of the funds donated to defeat the ban are coming from within Maine.

Great job everyone, on the contributions and on raising awareness.

Tuesday November 4th is Election Day. Be sure to vote, and keep in mind who supports your rights!

01-Nov-14
Living in NM, there's only a handful of states physically further from Maine than mi e. Even so, the sportsmen of Maine must win on this issue! I've never been to Maine and might never visit. Even so, I stand with Maine Sportsmen. The day will come (sadly it will probably be sooner than later) that NM Bowhunters will desperately need the support of sportsmen in Maine. We MUST support each other!

01-Nov-14
I'm in donated 1 + to help the cause

01-Nov-14
Great cause ! I sent 20

01-Nov-14
Colorado farmer will help.

05-Nov-14

Ace's Link
Success!

The ballot measure to eliminate Bear Hunting in Maine (by the most popular methods) has gone done in Defeat!

Thanks to all who helped. THIS is what hunters and sportsmen can do if we support each other.

From story at the link: "The ban went down to defeat by a margin of 52.3 to 47.7 percent." and: "The ban came to be seen as a fight between hunters and anti-hunters rather than just a referendum on specific hunting practices. While 97 percent of the funds from the anti-hunters came from out of state, mostly through the HSUS, 39 percent of the money used in the campaign to defeat the initiative was raised within the state."

The Animal Rights folks will be back. And we have to fight them everywhere. Nice job all. Congrats to the hunters in Maine.

05-Nov-14
Together we are strong

05-Nov-14
Congrats but too close for comfort.

06-Nov-14
Thanks for your hard work Ace! With the results being as close as they were it is very possible that your efforts made the difference. It's critical that every hunter understands the importance of his/her involvement in protecting our heritage. One single person has the ability to impact the future of our passion. My kids either benefit or they suffer based on the action or inaction of every single person who reads this post. "If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem." That is a fact, not a redundant cliché.

• Sitka Gear