Brun 04-Jun-14
BigRed 05-Jun-14
sticksender 05-Jun-14
Brun 05-Jun-14
Ridgerunner 30-Jul-14
Boddy1 31-Jul-14
Ridgerunner 31-Jul-14
03-Jun-14
I'm thinking I still have a 6-7 year wait. your thoughts.

03-Jun-14
Depends on a lot of things. If one resident tag gets pulled (in the new outfitter welfare scheme) to give to the Raftopolous ranch to sell, the creep will go up another point.

If banking happens, some people who are a point or two behind may burn them elsewhere, which will help you.

If it keeps going up one point every year, you may have a longer wait than that. But 2 and 201 aren't what they were in the "glory days", back when the herd peaked in 05-06. There are only about 1/4 the number of elk in those units now, and the hunting is different. My partner and I hunted 2 last year and killed two excellent bulls, but it wasn't like there were 350" bulls running all over. There may be better units in which to burn those points.

03-Jun-14
CDW is still withholding the 2014 elk draw reports, so we can only look at 2013 data. That year, 2 of the 14 guys who applied with 2 points more than you, drew the tag. The 6th resident tag was given in the hybrid round. The 7th tag went to a NR. And the 8th and final tag was issued as a Landowner voucher.

Guesstimating the point-class creep for this hunt, you're point class could start drawing by 2018, and be at 100% draw by roughly 2023. Again, just a guesstimate.

If CDW does indeed ax the Hybrid Draw, as has been mentioned for the new 5YSS, then that could shave a year or two off your wait.

03-Jun-14
We have 20 and 19 and 201 is a year or two away still.

RFW in unit 40 is probably the best hunt in Colorado. Glade Park holds a lot of Monsterous bulls. The usual access hunt starts at $10k.

I am skeptical about dropping 20 points on RFW but I'm sure it would be worth it.

03-Jun-14
We are going to put in for 2 next year, I live close and seem to have intel from lots of knowledgeable folks.

We could likely have drawn last year and would have this year, but we are going on a big hunt for Caribou this September.

03-Jun-14
I've only got 18 points... :(

04-Jun-14
I have 14 elk points and I'm tired of chasing these units. There are better places to hunt elk in other states in my opinion. I think it's ridiculous to have to wait 20+ years to hunt elk, and in the meantime you're basically shut out of many units in the state that take 0-1 point to draw.

The DOW/CPW or whatever they are now called has been complaining about points creep for as long as I can remember, but they haven't done much about it but complain.

I hope they do points banking (or preferably points bidding). I will spend my points a little at a time as I choose to. I did it in 2006, used one point and didn't gain one either. That put me 2 points behind where I could be now, but it was worth it. I have 18 points for antelope too.

04-Jun-14
I have been waiting so many years and getting so old that I may not be able to pull my bow back. Same thing is true for moose draws. I have 3 and 14 or 15, can't remember anymore.

04-Jun-14
I can't complain. I have zero PP for everything except elk because I have drawn everything.

Desert Sheep is the only thing remaining and that's pretty much a never likely scenario.

I really only care to arrow one respectable bull worthy of having mounted, have shot more than a dozen elk with a bow and had some decent chances over the years at some good ones that did not pan out.

So I will wait it out.

04-Jun-14
duplicate post

04-Jun-14
CDW released the 2014 draw stats today. The new stats show 15 residents applied with 19 points, and 5 of them drew. You could guesstimate it'll take 2-3 more years before the current 19-pp class is guaranteed to draw. Then maybe 4-6 more years for each additional point class bringing up the rear.

The NR point creep for that hunt is much worse. It took 22 points to draw, and the odds for the 22-point guys were only 1:5. Exactly the same as 2013....5 guys applied with 21 points and one drew. That's Point Creep of 1.0 per year.

04-Jun-14
Where did you find the stats today? I just looked at the statistics page on the DOW website and It's not up. Is there another spot to look?

04-Jun-14
Brun, refresh the page. Your browser is showing you a cached version of the page.

04-Jun-14
duplicate post

04-Jun-14
I think the CPW should consider allowing individuals to sell their PPs, same as Landowners get to sell their tags. My 16 PPs would be on the chopping block. I love my OTC areas and would miss hunting them if I drew 2/201 anyhow...

04-Jun-14
I'm a NR with 21 and didn't draw this year!!!

Bowmania

04-Jun-14
Sticksender, thanks for the advice, but it still won't come up on my computer. It shows everything except preference points required.

04-Jun-14
Ahh....yeah, I never look at the "PP required" report. To be honest, it's just about worthless. The real info you need is in the "Hunt Recap Summaries" and "Drawing Summaries".

04-Jun-14
Thanks Sticksender, I think I finally have been forced into figuring out how to read the "Hunt Recap Summary" I've always been confused because they don't list preference points past 11, but it looks like you just imagine the next row goes to 17 and beyond for the fourth row. I calculated unit 2, 10 and 61 by that method and it comes out as I would have expected. It never occurred to me that they wouldn't have a column that actually went high enough to represent what it takes to draw the most coveted units. They probably made this grid 20 years ago when you could draw anything with 11 points. Who knows, anyway thanks for your help as now think I know how to read it.

05-Jun-14
shanem, not sure of your age but if you're sitting on 17pp and Bowmania didnt draw this year with 21, you're a lot further than 6 or 7 years out to draw. With the current system you may never draw.

I finally gave up trying to catch 61 and settled on 76 instead. 15pp's and getting nowhere.

CO needs to change it's system. Simply not fair to those just joining the points game. They'll never catch up.

05-Jun-14
BigRed....shanem is a resident, bowmania is a non-resident. Residents can draw this hunt with fewer points than NR's, as detailed above.

But I do agree with your point about having trouble catching up. It'll be nearly hopeless for NR's with less than 10 points to ever draw the subject hunt in their lifetimes.

05-Jun-14
BigRed, Colorado does need to do something to alter the system, but it would be totally unfair to those holding a lot of points if they just threw out the current system. They may do point banking, which would allow people to draw a unit with less points than they hold and still keep the extras. That way people could get two or even three hunts in restricted ares that take less than 2, 201, etc. If they did this for a few years it would probably slow up the points creep. It might also be possible to share points with two or more hunters in a unit that requires less. The really coveted units are going to take a long time to draw no matter what happens. There are simply too many hunters that want to hunt these units and only a few licenses. I would love to see them create more restricted units, but that always brings a lot of opposition from people that are used to hunting those spots every year. There is no way to make the great spots really easy to draw, but hopefully they will create some new options to use up points that will appeal to people.

30-Jul-14
Well, I finally drew my tag for 201 with 19 points, had my doubts with the current odds. Anyway I have been reading maps, spent one weekend in the unit and saw 6 really good bulls. Thought I would put in a query to see if anyone had information they would be willing to share. My thanks in advance.

31-Jul-14
Ridgerunner, I have a tag for 201 this year

31-Jul-14
Boddy1, I just sent you a PM.

• Sitka Gear