Z Barebow 04-Apr-16
Larry 04-Apr-16
Davy C 05-Apr-16
Larry 17-Jul-16
Dirty D 17-Jul-16
Dirty D 17-Jul-16
Beendare 17-Jul-16
27-Jun-14
Anyone near central Minnesota hunting over 12/24 volt leds running on a battery bank? Lets go hunting. Id like to see your setup.

27-Jun-14
What do you mean hunting under lights

28-Jun-14
what do you mean hunting over 12/24 volt leds running on a battery bank?

28-Jun-14
Just a wild guess, but he posted under the bowfishing forum, so I'm guessing he his wanting to bowfish... Just guessing.

--Jim

28-Jun-14
You guys must be joking...right.If not its a classic example of people with nothing to say..but feel the need to anyway.This is the BOWFISHING forum.To me and many others it is "fish hunting."

29-Jun-14
If not its a classic example of people with nothing to say..but feel the need to anyway.

you posted on a public forum looking for a response and that's what you got right? how about next time posting Anyone near central Minnesota BOWFISHING!!!!!over 12/24 volt leds running on a battery bank? Lets go hunting. Id like to see your setup. and you might get better results to your post there switchback

29-Jun-14
Awwww, come on guys. He asked a question about lights on the bowfishing forum. Surely you all are smart enough to figure out he's talking about lights for his boat, and not his deer stand!

Sorry I don't have a set up to show you MNswitchback, but hope I can help get your thread back on track before it goes any further down the wrong path. Good luck, and show us some pictures of your fish. We're trying to get a break from hog hunting to go chase some gator gar down here soon.

-Cheryl

30-Jun-14
Thanks Huntress,I never would have guessed I'd have to explain my intentions under a bowfishing avatar either.Up here my choices to bowhunt in summer are way limited so on my end carp get the focus.Would love to chase hogs sometime.

30-Jun-14
bunch of jerks. put it up on the wisconsin page all are more than willing to help and will not be dumbed down as the ones who posted above

01-Jul-14
(example of people with nothing to say..but feel the need to anyway)(bunch of jerks. put it up on the wisconsin page all are more than willing to help and will not be dumbed down as the ones who posted above) BUNCH OF Jerks?????????? sota bow hunter and myself asked a simple question and now we are Jerks with nothing to say but feel the need to anyway.

01-Jul-14
FWIW I glanced at this thread a few days ago using my phone and was momentarily perplexed. The bowfishing avatar was pretty much just a dot on the phone until I expanded it on the screen.

But I was a jerk before I was confused and even though I figured it out, I probably still am.

01-Jul-14
That battery bank would be nice. The guys I know all run generators.

01-Jul-14
Thanks,Thats exactly what I'M setting up.I would just like to check out another rig in person.

01-Jul-14
24 trolling motor batteries?! Damn that is one expensive setup to not have to listen to the drone of a generator.

I'd personally shoot over HPS lights and a honda genny with a sound wall in the back of the boat, but that's just me.

01-Jul-14
Not in MN, but we just got done rigging a boat out with 8 50w Seelite True Warm LED lights. They penetrate the water real well and it's nice being able run silent. Each light is run to a junction box containing a fuse block and each light is independently fused. Left and right lights are also on switches so we can shut one side down and conserve battery.

02-Jul-14
Just a guess, but he probably meant trolling motor on a 24 volt battery system. Least that's what most in my area do.

02-Jul-14
How on earth are you guys getting a full nights fishing out of this? I assumed at first you meant 24 volt, but we were using 3-4 deep cycle batteries and running dry in a few hours when we toyed with a battery setup vs generator.

Sorry for the dumb initial question, I just assumed there was no way you'd get a full night's lighting out of just two batteries.

02-Jul-14
jwoods,Any chance you could text or pm some pictures of your setup?Sounds like my plan.Not sure of brand of light.Any one have time with mooshine/murklight

03-Apr-16
Are you using 24 Volt lights? I was thinking of using 120 V LED flood lights with an invertor and looking for information on that. We use a canoe with homemade pontoons and don't have the room for a generator and in Montana, our bowfishing season is short enough to make justifying a boat for just bowfishing out of the question, at least with my wife. Ha-ha

03-Apr-16
GUide I bowfish with in Florida uses led without generator and it is such a nice way to bowfish, real quiet and peaceful.

I am not sure how he has it setup though., but in all my trips with him I know we hae never had an issue with the set up.

03-Apr-16
TEmbry

The key is LED lights draw a fraction of the current that halogens use. I took a quick look at this one on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-12V-Direct-Plug-Spotlight/dp/B00EVIIZC2

It is rated for 7.5 hours on high w/4 D cell batteries. You could have four lights of similar current rating and run off a single 80 AH marine battery most of a night. (I would have a 2nd battery if I were using an electric trolling motor)

03-Apr-16
I'm far from Mn

I have 6 of the 50W LED fixtures wired 24v [you can wire them 12v, 24v, 120v] in big rect housings running off of 2 big 12v batteries.

They go about 6 hrs on a charge. I love that i don't need a genny...its so peaceful out there on the delta at night.

good source is the bowfishing country forum

photo is on my other computer- sorry

04-Apr-16
I found some cheap LED 120 Volt shop flood lights and was hoping to set up something for one trip to try. Maybe with a power inverter? My partners do not think it is worth the effort. My hope is that the wind would be quieter at night on this one lake. The lake is a 7 hour drive for us and we have spent the weekend sitting in the truck waiting for the weather to let up on some trips. Anybody try something like that?

04-Apr-16
Larry

The moment you introduce an invertor in the equation, you lose efficiency. It would work, but your run time would be reduced. DC LED lighting system would be preferred.

04-Apr-16
Thank you. That is why I am here asking dumb questions. Do you have any idea how much efficiency would I lose? If I stay AC I can have something to use after I try this. I have read that some people are using "drivers". Is that to change the voltage for A.C.? I see some of the LED lights are rated 85-265 Volts A.C.. With a 200 watt bulb, I can see the advantage. I guess I am trying to figure out what is really necessary.

05-Apr-16
I set up my boat with 12 V LEDs I have 2 x 50's and 2 30's I can run at least 4 hours on a single deep cycle I keep a spare for the lights and a spare for the trolling motor. I went with 12 V because my boat came with a 12 V trolling motor and that's what its rigged for. I only fish two people and the only time I wish I had more power was in the main channel of the Mississippi (SE MN). If I ever upgrade to a 24 V trolling motor will probably still use 12 V for the lights. I talked with RPM ( the manufacture of the lights I use) and it does not matter If you use 12 or 24V, the output is the same. If you use 24 your battery lasts twice as long but you need two batteries to make the voltage so its a wash. I have never used a geni so I have no comparison but I like the quiet and cost wise I think I am money ahead.

As for brightness I bought the two 30 from Cabelas on sale to give them a try. Liked them so well I bought the 2 50's directs from RPM as demo units. I plan on getting 2 more 50's. Is that enough??? One thing I have learned since starting bowfishing at night is you can never have too many lights.

17-Jul-16
Thank you to those who help guide me on my search for LED lights. I bought my lights from a body shop and do not know the brand but I put 2 50 watt 12 volt rectangular lights on the front and a 15 watt on each side. The 50 watt has both spot and flood lamps. We were in North East Montana and the water is normally pretty clear and this worked well for us. One of our batteries was defective and so I cannot tell you how long they lasted but the light was adequate for us. I do agree with Davy C. that you can never have too much light. But,We really enjoyed the quiet of not running a generator.

17-Jul-16

Dirty D's Link
I'm in Colorado but running a 12/24V system...

17-Jul-16

Dirty D's Link
I'm in Colorado running a 12/24V system but no battery bank.

17-Jul-16
I have 6 50w LED fixtures that I run off of 24v, two large Walmart batteries and I get about 5 1/2 hours out of them. Use heavy ga wire [min 12, mine is 10ga] to limit voltage loss when wiring.

Low volt DC systems are very susceptible to voltage loss.

• Sitka Gear