Mathews Inc.
Practice...........................HOW?!
Bowfishing
Contributors to this thread:
Rut Nut 09-Jul-14
GhostBird 09-Jul-14
Nick Muche 09-Jul-14
Shug 09-Jul-14
wheels 09-Jul-14
Clutch 09-Jul-14
drycreek 09-Jul-14
Butternut40 09-Jul-14
Rut Nut 09-Jul-14
Clutch 09-Jul-14
Clutch 09-Jul-14
Nick Muche 10-Jul-14
rooster 10-Jul-14
Rut Nut 10-Jul-14
trkyslr 10-Jul-14
Bake 10-Jul-14
longbeard 10-Jul-14
Shug 10-Jul-14
Rut Nut 10-Jul-14
Bowfreak 10-Jul-14
Mac 10-Jul-14
Shug 10-Jul-14
longbeard 10-Jul-14
Shug 10-Jul-14
Clutch 10-Jul-14
Rut Nut 10-Jul-14
09-Jul-14
I am new to bowfishing and just wondered how everyone practices? I mean other than just shooting a bunch of arrows at fish. Is there a good way to practice in your back yard at a target or at a pond or lake nearby?

09-Jul-14
I saw a gar target somewhere... can't remember.

I have taken a piece of foam and cut it roughly into the shape of a carp, attached an anchor to the bottom of it with a haul rope attached to the anchor. Threw it out into the lake at various distances/depths. The haul rope allows you to retreive it without getting wet.

Just remember to aim low. Of course the best practice is to just shoot a bunch of fish.

09-Jul-14
Just aim low.

09-Jul-14

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
Fill a jug that has a handle with rocks (gallon of milk). ...slip a rope thru the handle. and tie a small block of foam to a rope. Raise and lower the foam with the rope.

09-Jul-14
Very difficult to shoot under a fish, if you think you are aiming too low, you are probably aiming in the right spot.

09-Jul-14

Clutch's MOBILE embedded Photo

Aim low-- hard to believe I could have missed one bigger then this one but I did--shot over the back -- the fish was 1'.6" below the surface of the water--

09-Jul-14
Clutch, that's a big minnow !

09-Jul-14
Clutch, looks like some good jerky in that thing.

09-Jul-14
Thanks guys! I have a small old block target that I don't use much anymore. Will tie it to a milk jug and toss in the pond for practice.

My problem is I don't know anybody around here that bowfishes, and don't know of any lakes/rivers nearby that have carp. It would be a shot in the dark, literally! ;-) So I wanna get some practice in for what I expect to be some very limited shot opportunities!

Clutch- excuse my ignorance, but WHAT the heck is that???!!! I thought it was a gator, til I looked a bit closer! :)

09-Jul-14

Alligator Gar -- picture shows a shadow of a gar under the water-- it's difficult to judge how low to hold before you release

09-Jul-14

Another gar under the surface of the water

10-Jul-14
Clutch, you guys go big...or don't go at all :) What a fish!

Uncle Shuga, don't think I didn't see that classy shirt! What a fine piece of fabric, so soft and so pretty.

10-Jul-14
I think that's bowfishin' camo! If you're interested I think my wife has shoes and a purse to match!

10-Jul-14
Dang Clutch! I see why they call them ALIGATOR Gar now! That looks pretty ominous in that top pic! :)

10-Jul-14
Agree with nick on aim low... And yes shugs shirt is a piece of breathtaking raw work!

10-Jul-14
Nugent called, he wants his shirt back

10-Jul-14
Pardon me for being nai've, but if I were to be swimming in that water would that fish try to eat me as its name implies or is it aptly named after the species it looks like??

10-Jul-14
Let the haters hate! !!

lol

10-Jul-14
I didn;t even notice the shirt........................I was looking at the fish! How big was that Shug?!\

Longbeard- you see the teeth on that thing?! I have heard of big Muskies attacking people from time to time, so I sure wouldn;t wanna be in the water with that Aligator Gar!

10-Jul-14
Shug,

I think the shirt is fly. Nice!

10-Jul-14
a few years back I made a "target" with some chicken wire with weights on the bottom and tied floats on the top corners with some beer cans attached in the middle to aim at, i could adjust how deep it sank by how much rope was between the floats and the top corners. it worked but was kind of a pain. it is surprising how low you have to aim

10-Jul-14
The shirt is my "lucky shirt" I wore it to take 3 state record carp here in NJ. That was the first one...59# 12oz..Two years later I took a 65# breaking my own record...A week later I took a 43# 14 oz common carp that broke the record that stood for 21 years. ...This year a guy killed a 45# common that is the new record...but he didn't wear my shirt..lol

10-Jul-14
Rut thanks and thats what I was afraid of!!

10-Jul-14
Bowfreak...finally someone with taste.

10-Jul-14

Did someone say teeth-- on the TV show Monster Fish (I believe it's called) the host did some research and concluded that they weren't aggressive to swimmers etc but who wants to find out--:^)

10-Jul-14
Not me! :)

Shug- Hey, whatever it takes, man! (to set a state record! ;-) Nice!

• Sitka Gear