weekender21 17-Jul-14
2xLung 17-Jul-14
Smtn10PT 17-Jul-14
opencountry 17-Jul-14
Russell 17-Jul-14
Alabowma 17-Jul-14
opencountry 30-Jul-14
15-Jul-14
I need some advice with an issue Im having shooting a Mathews Chill R. I have shot Mathews since the company started and have never experienced anything like this. I bought a new Chill R and love how it feels and shoots. Its set up and I cannot sight it in, Im always 6-8" to the left at 20 and almost off the target at 40. I have tried everything from a different sight, many different releases, old and new grip style and even an attempt to change my anchor point. The bad thing is I have had a few other very good shooters use it and they shoot to the right as I have the sight adjusted as far to the left as I can. This makes the issue me, but what???

15-Jul-14
Have someone video you shooting the bow. Maybe something will become obvious.

Maybe video a friend that shoots it to the right to try to discern any difference....

>>>>---good luck!---->

15-Jul-14
Did you try papertuning with a bare shaft out to 30'?

15-Jul-14
I have not tried the video, but have paper tuned and I do tear bad. I'm really struggling on what to do because I dont want to change the way I have shot for 30 years!

The pro shop where I bought it tried to help a little but has no idea. as soon as someone else could shoot it without the problem they had no ideas for me.

15-Jul-14
It is not set up properly. Sounds like you have some rest, d-loop arrow alignment issues. Run a string from the center of the top limb adjustment bolt to the center of the bottom limb adjustment bolt (in front of where your bow hand goes. Then nock an arrow. The sting should roughly split the arrow in half (2 half circles) and be perpendicular to the string. If this is not the case, your rest and d-loop are incorrect.

I'd start there. You could have cam lean, timing issues or tiller issues. But with flight errors that gross, I would suspect rest issues. You may want to consider a different pro shop.

If the bow is correct - doubtful - you may have serious bow hand issues or perhaps a vision problem that is new or you are unaware of. Post some pics of your full draw positioning and maybe we can help.

15-Jul-14
Thank you 2xlung. I will try your suggestions

15-Jul-14
Sure thing. PM me with your ph # if you need more help. I'm happy to help.

16-Jul-14
Sounds like more of an amateur shop. I would first check the rest and loop as the others have suggested. When you nock an arrow and look down on it from the top of your bow does it look centered?

16-Jul-14
Whats your draw weight, length, and arrow set up?

16-Jul-14
Sure sounds like that bow isn't setup to spec. Once you get that done, you can start getting everything else set properly.

And you need to find a better archery shop. Where I'm located in western PA, it's amazing the number of shops that don't know what they are doing............ sad actually.

16-Jul-14
Good evening,

I have run a thread from the center to center of the limb bolts and have to say it appears to me that the thread cuts an arrow in half and also looks like the thread, bow string and rest line up.

I have to feel that it is me, I can say I have owned about 10 to 12 single cam Mathews and PSE's prior to that and have never experienced an issue. I didn't mention that I did stop at a Mathews shop in a larger city while traveling and shot several bows with the mathews pro guy watching and I asked him to be blunt with my mistakes and all he could say was my 45 degree hold on my bow hand was to angled. These bows didn't have sights so I have no idea where I shot for a comparison.

I dont know what to do but sell a bow that has less than 100 arrows through it!

16-Jul-14
Only thing I can think is grip pressure. You would have to be really torquing the bow ti be off the target at 40 yards though. I would say something isn't right but if someone else is shooting it without issue..it must be you. Video or pictures would help.

16-Jul-14
It almost sounds like if you are right handed you are using your left eye to sight? Not likely to be the case but try closing your left eye and shooting. At least rule it out as it sounds like you are hitting a long way left of your sight pins, with the sight fully extended left.

Good luck. Kurt

17-Jul-14
That could be it Kurt! He might be right handed left eye dominant or vise versa.

17-Jul-14
Opencountry, if the setup looks correct as you described, then it old very well be this bow with your shooting style. Sounds like you have shot a lot, and this bow may be bringing out some poor shooting form. The short a2a and brace height may be exposing something. My buddy just moved up to a Hoyt spyder turbo and he shot like garbage for over a month. We made quite a few adjustments (draw, release,etc.) and now he is shooting better. His bow is just very unforgiving of form issues. Don't give up just yet - you may want to do a walk back tune. Are you clearing fletchings on the way out? Put some lipstick on the fletch edges and see if the arrow is interfering with any part of the bow. Your poor paper tunes still lead me to believe something is amiss. A full draw pic would be useful.

17-Jul-14
Might be something with your grip. I had a Creed last year and I could never get a good feel for the focus grip. The way I was told to hold it was with your hand out like you were going to push open a door. For example you typically have the thumb of your bow hand in the 11:00 position, with that focus grip you need it more at like 9:30. I couldn't get used to it, smacked my arm with the string about a half dozen times in the first month. Ended up selling it on ebay and getting an Elite Pulse.

17-Jul-14
Thank you for all of the suggestions, I tried shooting for awhile last night but its tough. I felt it might be the Focus grip so I removed it and put a normal wood Mathews grip on and no change at all.

17-Jul-14
"but have paper tuned and I do tear bad."

Are you saying you have paper tuned with a bare shaft and achieved a bullet hole?

If no, then accomplish that first.

17-Jul-14
I was having the same problem. Make sure your fletchings are able to clear your cables. I had to rotate my arrow some. It fixed my problem.

30-Jul-14
I have an update.

I was told there wasn't an issue with this ever happening to anyone else by the Pro shop who said Mathews had said this. That has changed and Mathews has a couple issues with the bow and its not just me. Theres a problem after a shot the cables don't go back to center on the round ring there mounted to so you need to flip the top two limbs around to stop any cam lean. Mine was bad and flipping the limbs made a 1/4" difference in the cam lean.(there's more to this but I'm not a bow engineer)

Now that this change was made I can actually hit the target at 40 yards.

Another change they suggested I had already done thanks to 2xlung's suggestion. when I ran a string from limb bolt to limb bolt the rest was off by an 1/8" so I made the change. I was told by the pro shop they set all Mathews at a certain measurement and were just told the ChillR is different.

• Sitka Gear