hunt'n addict 30-Jul-14
livz2hunt 01-Aug-14
livz2hunt 06-Aug-14
elkhunter2 07-Aug-14
MT in MO 07-Aug-14
Jimmysharpstick 07-Aug-14
tradi-doerr 09-Aug-14
20-Jul-14
Just wondering if there is anyone with information on any packers in the Montrose area.

20-Jul-14
I'll b around the area or within a hundred mile's anyway. If u got in a bind I could prolly help u out. Just depending when & what was going on.

20-Jul-14
Was just in Montrose area scouting this weekend and seen a sign that was posted advertising that for $300.00 they will pack out your game for you, sorry I didn't get the number but you could call the archery pro shop in Montrose "Max Archery" they may know. Best of luck!

20-Jul-14
Ok thank you guys for the reply. I will give Max Archery a shout.

21-Jul-14
call the USFS local district and see who is permitted in the area you are hunting

24-Jul-14
J and Ray Outfitters. Olathe. Not sure which unit they usually operate in, but they are excellent packers with quality animals. 970 323-0115

24-Jul-14
I hope you don't mean Houston:)

Montrose area is the "alternative lifestyle" part of Houston.

24-Jul-14
I wouldn't know anything about that.

25-Jul-14
Good luck,

In 2012 I cashed in 17 NR elk points and drew an archery tag in unit 61. I waited too long to do my research and buy my maps. The USFS in Montrose was of little help. They permit the packers but could not or would not give me any names. They were out of the maps I wanted. No selection of any kind in stock. In the weeks leading up to the hunt, I could get no return phone calls to the 1/2 doz. voice mails I left behind. A guy on Monster Muleys went so far as to PM me and say "hell no I won't help you" because of some perceived disrespect from a non resident in the past. I guess He thought I needed to know how pissed he still was. I got good help, kindness,and offers of help from several locals once I made the long drive. Send me a PM and I will try and help you out if I can.

25-Jul-14
PM sent.

30-Jul-14
Where abouts are you hunting ?

30-Jul-14
What unit are you hunting?

01-Aug-14
We will be in unit 62 September 15-27

06-Aug-14
So far I haven't got anyone lined up to help with packing one out, but am still trying.

07-Aug-14
If I remember correctly 62 has a lot of roads through out the unit. A couple of guys could get a elk out pretty easy.

07-Aug-14
Like elkhunter2 said. 62 has lots of access. When we've been there we have been able to use a game cart to take them out for the longest part of the pack. Never more than a mile away from a road in my experience. 61 is a different story though...

07-Aug-14
Was Aaron Rodgers in Montrose?

09-Aug-14
Unit 61 is a HQ draw only unit, so unless you have a tag for 61 don't get caught hunting there without the proper tag.

As mentioned 62 has lots of trails that a game cart can easily be used on and many of the roads are accessible unless there has been a lot of rain, most trails are on the top ridges. Best of luck!

• Sitka Gear