Bill in MI 24-Jul-14
Bill in MI 24-Jul-14
woodguy65 24-Jul-14
BC173 24-Jul-14
Kawabunga 24-Jul-14
StickFlicker 24-Jul-14
Ylpmin 30-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
I'm considering getting a new hunting truck and considering a Toyota Tundra. I've always heard how dependable Toyota's are. I was wondering what you guys think about Tundras compared to Ford, Chevy, or Dodge? From what I've heard the Tundras tend to get pretty pathetic gas mileage? I was considering a 4.6 rather than 5.7 but not sure if the smaller motor gets any better gas mileage? I considered a Tacoma but prefer the room of a full size truck.

22-Jul-14
I have the Tundra with the big motor, after driving chevy and ford diesels and gas trucks for 35 years. Its fast, responsive, reliable, well built, comfortable maybe a bit tinny but all of the new 1/2 ton trucks have less steel in them.

My mileage is right at 13-14, towing my boat about 12. Its a nice truck and was cheaper than the comparable Ford when I bought it by about $4,000. I didn't consider the Tundra with the smaller motor when I bought as all they had was the big one- it might be a good option.

If I was buying now, I would maybe go to Dodge- due to mileage or the Ford. The Tacoma doesn't work for me otherwise a good option.

Edit; forgot to mention I'm running big 33x12.50 Toyo MT open Country's on that truck which hurts my MPG

22-Jul-14
Tacoma for me! 20 MPG! Oil every 5k and just drive! Good Luck!

22-Jul-14
My hunting buddy has an 08 tundra limited. So it has the huge back seat. He has the 5.7 in his, which is similar to a Dodge hemi. His has 4.10 gears which gives the truck lots of torque. A cold air intake will help some on the gas milage. I wouldnt get the smaller motor. When it comes to moving a 1/2 ton truck you need power. The smaller engine will have to work harder. My Dodge lost power and milage when I added my lift and 35" tires. I put a cold air intake and programmer in it to get back ruffly half my milage back that I lost. Plus I jumped my off the line HP by 50 horse. I only have 3.55 gears and want to swap to 4.10 bad. If I didnt get such great deals on my Dodges and if Diablo could crack the PCM code on a Tundra I would own one in a heartbeat. There a good truck.

22-Jul-14
Wow. that is terrible gas milage I must say I'm surprised. I get 13 with my Ford F250 and my last GM 2500 was easily getting that and it had a 4:11 rear end.

22-Jul-14
My 2007 Tundra 5.7 ran 105,000 miles without one single problem. Oil, brakes and tires were the only normal maintenance.

I now have a 2012 Crew Max. Avg. 14.5 mpg and get 17 highway. Unless they changed the smaller engine does not have the 6 speed tranny and only get 1 mpg more.

I have no complaints about the trucks, they have been very reliable.

22-Jul-14
I would like at the 1/2 ton ram eco diesel look at the window sticker 27 highway mpg!!!!!

22-Jul-14
I have the 2007 4.6 and it has all the power I need. I average 14.5 MPG but I do not run stock tires and have a body leveling kit on it.

22-Jul-14
Totoyea rocks...if you are going to be doing any serious off road get the locking diff....

22-Jul-14
I have the 2010, 5.7. Currently 121,000 and no problems, great truck, I'm probably around 16 freeway, but I have the Diamondback truck cover that adds a couple hundred lbs.

DJ

22-Jul-14
The best truck I ever owned was a 2006 Tundra. It was the last year they made that model - little like a "Tweener". Not as big as the current Tundra but bigger than a Tacoma. It had the 4.6 in it and got 17-18 around town and about 20-21 on the highway- about the same as my current Tacoma but way more power and a great ride. Great truck if you can still find one with lower milage.

22-Jul-14
One more vote for the Tundra. I have a 2010 double cab with the 5.7 liter and 4x4. Right now I have 71K miles on it. Run pretty much stock AT tires and get 16 MPG to and from work which is pretty much rural roads. I run synthetic oil in engine, diff, and transfer case. Besides brakes have not had any issues and I tow a 5K pound camper about 6 times each summer. Only thing I don't like is you have to drop a small skid plate to change the oil. Its a pain but since I run synthetic its only 2 time per year. Very dependable.

I considered the smaller V8 when I got mine but it was a new engine with little track record and the increase in MPG wasn't worth the risk to me. The 5.7 has proven to be a good engine.

22-Jul-14
Another Tundra fan here, I have an 07' with the 5.7, 76K miles and ZERO issues. The gas mileage is poor but when you crunch the numbers 2 mpg savings does not add up to much money. None of the other trucks get the advertised mileage in the real world. DO NOT get the smaller V-8, good engine but the mileage is the same!

22-Jul-14
I have a 2000 get around 19-20 on the HWY best truck/vehicle I have ever had. Same model as X-Master has, wished they still made it, the new ones are too big. I think I will drive mine till I die.

22-Jul-14

primitve's embedded Photo
primitve's embedded Photo
I have the 2008 5.7 with 58K. Doesn't get the best mileage but the durability and maintenance free makes up for it!

22-Jul-14
I have one and love it. average 13 in town and 16 on highway with 33" tires. Plenty of power and a ton of room in the back seat. When shopping for trucks I looked at dodges as well and they had theirs stickered at $51,000 and my tundra was stickered at $41,000. Same size motor and same torque and horse power as the dodge 5.7 hemi but with more room in the back seat for kiddos or hunting gear.

Plus it looks awesome when leveled with custom wheels and tires.

22-Jul-14

bowhntr's embedded Photo
bowhntr's embedded Photo
Here is a pic of mine.

22-Jul-14
I've got a '12 4.6 tundra and get 15mpg. Third Toyota I've own and never an issue

22-Jul-14
If I were looking for a full size right now I would look at a Dodge. I own a 2014 durango(an suv I know) but i have the 5.7 liter hemi, 8 speed automatic, and awd. I got 23 mpg (at 5 mph over the speed limit consistently, so driving 75 to 80 mph). I don't know how that translates to pickup with the same combo, but it has to get better than 13 mpg.

It is the R/T so has all the low profile stuff on it, but does well and I do have a K&N cold air intake.

That being said, i would still like a Tacoma or an FJ.

22-Jul-14
All Toyota here. Love my '08 Tundra, and my wife's FJ. I'm starting to hear rumors of a diesel coming out in the next year or two for the Tundra.

22-Jul-14
I have a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7 and really like it. Long box 4X4 all stock. When I compare actual mileage to other comparatively powered and equipped trucks there is no real difference. The "mileage sucks" slogan is just something everyone repeats because it may have been true at one time.

But a few weeks ago I hauled a 2,000 pound camper and towed a 4,000 pound boat 400 miles with some long steep hills, with a friends new 2014 Ford. 5.L, 1/2 ton, seven bolt hubs, 4X4 extended cab, long box. That 5.L amazed me with the power it had. No need to slow down on the big hills and I didn't have to flog it either. It's the only engine I'd consider in a Ford. And if I were buying today it would be a toss up between the Tundra and the Ford. The other "Big Guys" don't compare for overall cost of ownership.

22-Jul-14
Coccon man: It is surprising but my buddy's 2006 tundra 4 door (Gen 1 body style) only appears smaller. It is actually 1.5" longer than my 07' double cab with 6.5' bed.

22-Jul-14
Curious Pat, what caused you to drop Toyota?

22-Jul-14
I have had 3 ford f150 trucks my complaints are how damn expensive they have become all hit the 200k mile mark but they all rusted out like crazy. I have never had a foreign vehicle and never believed in buying one, but that has really changed since Toyohashi are manufacturing here state side employing Americans. My last ford f150 had a sticker that said "assembled in Canada with parts manufactured in Mexico" which I find disgusting. It's a deal breaker for me. After the GM coverup and people dying because of it I will never own one of their vehicles either. No wonder American manufactures are doing poor!

Toyota maybe in my future.

22-Jul-14
I might get the prize for the most mileage - my 2000 (the first year they came out) Tundra has over 217,000 miles on it, and NOT ONE problem or repair - other than regular oil changes. I'm not kidding, this thing is a beast. I've been looking for a new truck for about two years, but I keep asking myself… "why?" I still love the truck, it still looks good and runs great. I don't really like the newer Tundra's style, or gas mileage, but I hear good things. The F-150 eco boost is intriguing, but a few owners I know are having some minor, but persistent issues. I'll just have to keep driving the Tundra until a truck I like hits the market.

22-Jul-14
"...looking for a new truck for about two years, but I keep asking myself… "why?" I still love the truck, it still looks good and runs great. I don't really like the newer Tundra's style..."

I've had most of the Toyota truck models from the tiny 4 cylinder, first V6 model (an '88 I still have), T100 (with a supercharger no less), Tacoma (model before current one, which they made too big for a small truck), first Tundra, and '08 Tundra now. The problem with the earlier Tundra was it wasn't much for towing. The rear axel is too far forward, and it just couldn't pull much.

I've also owned a couple 4-Runners, a Supra, and my wife now has an FJ Cruiser. Every one has been totally reliable with no major issues.

22-Jul-14
My '86 Toyota 4X4 extended cab with 2.4 EFI has 486K. Original engine. Paid $11K new. It's been a good'un. :-)

22-Jul-14
I'll likely only own Toyota trucks from this point out after having 4 Fords.

22-Jul-14
It sounds like there are a bunch of Toy fans out there! Thanks for your comments! The particular truck I'm considering is a 2010 Tundra with 37,000 miles. S5, topper, 4.6, factory lift and custom wheels, topper, bed liner, rearview camera, etc for $26K. What do you think...should I pull the trigger?

22-Jul-14
Still driving my 2005 tundra. No issues and decent milage with the 4.6.

22-Jul-14
jims, I would buy a new one. I bought a 2011 tundra double cab trd 4x4 brand new. It has the 4.6 and 6 speed auto transmission. I paid 31,500 for it and got 0% apr for 60 months. Unless you are paying cash your payback on the used truck will be more than mine cost new.

As for mileage I am doing better than most On longer trips I get about 18-19 mpg. In the mountains it will drop to around 16. I do not baby it and it has plenty of power to go as fast as you want. I put a top end leer topper on it and installed a bed rug. I truck camp in it on a lot of hunts and have plenty of room for gear. It is by far the best toyota I have owned and I have been driving them for 30 years.

22-Jul-14

TargetPanic's embedded Photo
TargetPanic's embedded Photo
The date is not correct on this photo, it should say 11-17-2012. About 15 grand in damage after my cabin burnt to the ground. Got my truck back a few days before Christmas that year. Still driving it, no problems since that fiasco. Just put another set of tires on a few weeks ago. I get 15 to 20 MPG depending on conditions. I would buy another one.

22-Jul-14
About the cheapest I can find a SR5 Tundra new with a 5.7 is around $33,000. A 4.6 SR5 may be a little cheaper. I'm sure there are ways to work with dealers to go down on price? I plan on mostly paying with cash so it would be nice to save $7,000 plus not have to buy a topper. The Tundra I'm considering only has 37,000 miles..which for a Toyota is pretty new. It would be nice having a 5.7 so I wait it out.

22-Jul-14
Love my 2011 5.7 SR5 TRD package Tundra.

I have the cold air intake, the TRD exhaust, skid plates, step up bars, and I replaced the shocks with 4 Bilstein adjustable shocks maxed out to level the truck with out a formal 'lift'.

I average 16 around town and 17.5 on the highway lately.

Coming up on 50k miles and will need new tires soon.

22-Jul-14
.....not a Tundra comment, but my 96 4Runner hit 300,000 this summer. I drive it daily & she runs like a top. Of course you have to take care of it - the same with everything. But for me, 300,000 and still strong speaks volumes on quality. The other vehicle is an '04 4Runner with 158,000. Like many of the other comments here, I wish the gas mileage was better, but I'd trade that for reliability any day.

22-Jul-14
TargetPanic At least you were able to get good pictures once that cabin was out of the way. Sorry don't mean to rub salt but had a buddy have something similar happen.Wish we had taken pictures.He pulled his truck up to the fire pit.Then built a roaring fire which did the same as your truck. I only put enough wood for a decent fire in vicinty of fire pit because of that.Everyone will burn it all if you make it available.

22-Jul-14

Sapcut's embedded Photo
Sapcut's embedded Photo
Toyota/Lexus....no brainer!

This odometer is from my '96 LX450 (Land Cruiser). Totally different species. Currently has 406K.

Also have '97 LX450 with 221K and wife has '00 LX470 with 261K miles. They all run great with very little work. Never even change tranny fluid and never had tranny trouble at all.

22-Jul-14
I will be in the market for a new truck next spring, and the only vehicles on the list are a Tundra or a Tacoma...

...unless my wife says I can buy a Raptor :)

23-Jul-14
Went from a '99 Dodge Ram to a Toyota FJ last fall. There are times when I miss the extra bed room, but most of the time it is much better vehicle.

The Dodge was a bit of a lemon - maybe a bad year? I had 3 transmissions in there, replaced the entire front suspension and had the body almost rust out from under me. It never got better than 15mpg. It seemed like I was replacing something major 1-2 times a year. I was seriously looking at the Ram diesel but was nervous after the experience with the '99.

The FJ has been to CO, MT, and numerous ice fishing trips and has been good so far. I had to buy a rooftop carrier and a rear hitch carrier for last fall's mule deer hunt in MT.

23-Jul-14
I have a 2004 f250 crew cab I blocked the egr valve, chipped it 675hp, heavy duty engine oil cooler, 41/2" exhaust.

I get 20mpg and can tow a 36ft toy hauler and it gets 11.9 mpg when it in tow mode.

XLT fully loaded for sale $15,900.00.

Sold the camper no longer need a truck wanting to buy a jeep wrangler

23-Jul-14
bowhntr, do you have a lift kit on your Tundra?

23-Jul-14
Still running my 2005 Tundra. 15ish around town 18 on a trip, that's with the 4.7. The 4.7 will do anything you need to do with a pickup except drag race. I have a tandem axel trailer I haul firewood with and have had 7,000+ pounds on it with no problems moving with traffic. If you buy a used truck look real good for rust, here in the northeast we drive through saltwater for three months out of the year( winter road salt). Toyota has identified a rust problem and has begun to replace frames and do undercoating.

23-Jul-14
If I am not mistaken the current 4.6l motor in the tundra was originally used in the lexus large suvs.

23-Jul-14
"If I am not mistaken the current 4.6l motor in the tundra was originally used in the lexus large suvs."

Don't believe so. The 80 series LX was in '96 and '97 with a 4.5 L. The 100 series in '98-'07 has the 4.7L V8. '08-'14 has the 5.7 L V8.

However they maybe a 4.6 in other models in other specific world markets where Land Cruisers/Lexus are made.

23-Jul-14
I am no motor expert but have seen somewhere online where the 4.6 tundra motor was a tweaked lexus design. If I am wrong I stand corrected.

23-Jul-14
Lexus is actually a tweaked Toyota. Just like Infiniti is a tweaked Nissan.

If you can wait a year is looking like there will be a Tundra with a 5.0 Cummins in it.

23-Jul-14
There may be a 4.6 in the Lexus sedans...not sure.

23-Jul-14

C.Beck's embedded Photo
C.Beck's embedded Photo
2007- 5.7 liter Tundra. I have 150,000 miles on it. No problems and still runs awesome! I tow a very heavy boat and a good sized camper neither one feel like they are there when driving. I also drive Fords for work but the Tundra is a class above the Ford no doubt.

23-Jul-14
2013 Tundra Crew Max owner. Consistent 17mpg with the 5.7 engine. Awesome truck. I owned GMC for 16 years and after owning this truck, will never go back.

23-Jul-14
check out the Nissan Titan, 2015 will have diesel. Mine is a horse. no troubles

23-Jul-14
"If you can wait a year is looking like there will be a Tundra with a 5.0 Cummins in it."

WOW, those trucks will be flying off the dealer lot.

23-Jul-14
I had a Tacoma with just under 300,000 miles on it and hardly had to do any repairs on it. Currently drive an 02' Tundra, the mid-size referred to above. Great truck!

23-Jul-14
Surfbow, just a leveling kit. Gave me 3" in front and 1" in back. Running 33" tires on 18" wheels.

23-Jul-14

Kevin from Wisconsin's MOBILE embedded Photo
Kevin from Wisconsin's MOBILE embedded Photo

Love my '06. no problems so far @ 105k. Pintail- no rust on mine, but they did seal my frame.

Here is a pic of basecamp from a couple of years ago in WY antelope hunting.

24-Jul-14
I have a 2011 5,7 tundra and tow a 28 ft toyhauler with water and 2 quads in it right at 10,550 lbs loaded and this truck pulls better than my 2001 ford 7,3 powerstroke diesel that I used to tow with. all I can say is the truck is underrated as for what it really can due. 14mph in town 16 or 17 on highway and 10 towing the big load through the mountains.

never had a problem one with this truck.

24-Jul-14
A general truism on the Bowsite is that you will have a 95% positive user response regarding:

Toyota Tundra's or Tacoma's

Tightspot quivers

Thermacells

24-Jul-14

24-Jul-14
Echo much of what was already said. I have a '11 Tundra with 105K and it pulls 10K lbs like it is not even there. Very reliable, only have done oil changes and just did the 100K maintenance schedule. I have had all of the domestic trucks and this was my first import. It is in a class by itself.

We just purchased my wife a new CRV and so I gave her trade-in value for her '07 RAV4 to try and save fuel costs and mileage by not driving the Tundra daily. The RAV has 120K and looks and runs like new.

Robin bought the RAV and it was our first import together. I bought an Equinox the same month she purchased her RAV and my Chevy was junk.

It will be a long time before I go back to domestic, sorry guys!

Other than the poor fuel economy, I highly recommend the Tundra.

24-Jul-14
Good point Bill in MI

On my 3rd Taco (has 225k) - first 2 got over 300k...never had a lick of trouble with any of them.

Will prolly go with the Tundra when I get rid of my current Taco.

24-Jul-14
Have a 2000 Tundra 4.7 with 135k and still going strong.

24-Jul-14
Recently picked up a 02 access cab Tundra with 141k on which to me is pretty low mileage, figure to easily get another 100k out of it, love the comfort and power since coming from smaller trucks. Just sold my 94 xtra cab with 196k for $7k, modified though. Really want a first gen 4 door Tacoma but they are hard to get here, really high resale. Also have a 99 4runner with the 3.4 at 204k running perfect.

24-Jul-14

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
My 2002 4 x 4 Tundra with 4.6 now has 208,000 miles. I change the oil regularly, but it still has the original spark plugs. It runs silky smooth with plenty of power, and gets over 18 mpg on average driving. I never saw a reason to change them.

30-Jul-14

Ylpmin's embedded Photo
Ylpmin's embedded Photo
I have a 2003 tundra that I use for a hunting truck. With good tires, winch, sway away coil overs and a little recovery gear these tundras are hard to beat. They are quiet and versatile.

• Sitka Gear