sfiremedic 24-Jul-14
KHunter 31-Jul-14
JLS 31-Jul-14
Skipnoid 31-Jul-14
Skipnoid 31-Jul-14
Thunder Head 31-Jul-14
JLS 31-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
When you got a GPS with topo maps on it, did it replace your paper maps?

I don't have either for the OTC Units I have picked out. So instead of buying both I was considering just getting a new GPS.

22-Jul-14
I don't pack paper w/ me when I hunt anymore, but I like to have paper to lay out at camp or in the truck. You'll get a bigger picture than you are going to get w/ the small screen on the GPS.

22-Jul-14
Laptop at truck with topo software; occasionally print 11x17 or 8x11 areas I'm focusing in, but never use actual quad maps any more.

But GPS screen way too small to actually plan from except for occasionally while in the field IMO.

22-Jul-14
Both. In NM last year I would use the gps a lot but it was nice to look at the map of that unit and see the section of the unit I was in for a bigger picture. The map will show all the trails and where they are going, intersections, and a lot of other info. Fold the map up and stick it back in the pack.

22-Jul-14
As stated above, GPS small screen sucks to scroll around on. OK to check stuff in field, but either print maps from computer based topo software or buy paper maps. The GPS is awesome for navigating in the field, but not for getting a big picture and planning or strategizing.

>>>>-------->

22-Jul-14
Both for sure. I have all states on terrain navigator so I print my own maps free. gps is nice but screen size is so small it is tough to really get a good feel for terrain.

22-Jul-14
I always cary both. A paper map weighs almost nothing and electronics can go haywire.

22-Jul-14
always have a map and compass. USMC taught me that.

22-Jul-14
nothing better than sitting down for lunch break or when you can't find the elk and pouring over the map.

GPS, map, compass....always

22-Jul-14
Laptop is always in camp for scouting purposes. Topo and SAT imagery on the GPS. Paper in the truck and maybe in the pack, depending where I'm hunting.

22-Jul-14
Hard to use a GPS in, um, emergencies.....

Both is nice.

22-Jul-14
Both - definitely. You can't write on a GPS screen. You can make notes on the paper map - both at home prior to hunt and during the hunt.

The GPS map is terrific as it shows you EXACTLY where you are in the field, then you can look at the larger paper map and make your gameplan.

As stated above, when you are tired or nothing is happening, taking a break and looking at a paper map to determine your next move is great for motivation.

Get both. A map cost only $15 and you will use it extensively at home for making your game plan and notes. Personally I buy every paper map of an area, just bought another one on Saturday for $14 - it had old trails and roads that my other 3 maps of the same area did not have. I did see them on my GPS as I scouted a week ago.

I used to just use paper maps, but the GPS maps really helped by providing my real time position.

22-Jul-14
I would not go west without both either. I can't imagine sitting around camp at night squinting at a tiny GPS screen as I try to make plans for the next day. That's just one of several reasons to also have a paper map for me. A compass is always in my pocket too.

22-Jul-14
I have both the maps loaded on my GPS and carry the map and compass. Nice to take GE info and make notes on the map. Its nice to transfer exact location to the map and get the big picture. I sometimes download the map as PDF file free then take in on a flash drive to my blueprint shop and they do a blk and white for $2- not as nice as some of those custom maps on waterproof paper and in color.

22-Jul-14
Since I bought the Back Country Navigator app for my smart phone I carry a GPS in my pack that has the camp or trailhead which ever is applicable waypointed in it and just use my phone, I download topo and satellite of the area I'm hunting over the Wi-Fi at home and I have a full colored decent sized touch screen GPS. if you download maps at home you don't need cell service in the field. It's way easier and faster to save waypoints and name them, can even include a picture and for a few bucks more I bought an add-on that shows Colorado GMUs and another that shows private and public boundaries.

22-Jul-14
Both - batteries don't die on a paper map and compass.

22-Jul-14
There are ways around that Vids!

22-Jul-14
I'm learning a very large and totally new area this year. Scouting several days a week. I use a GPS with chip, USGS topos, GE printouts of the area I'm scouting those days, and a DIY hunting map. All have value in different ways. The DIY map is he best ever for overall use. Topo with public-private land, which also shows not only all open roads but also all closed or decommissioned roads. Great tool.

22-Jul-14
"GPS, map, compass....always"

This ^^^^^^^^

22-Jul-14
Yep, always a compass in my total survival it, which is With me everywhere

23-Jul-14
Just discovered a new, FREE, super mapping system after my previous post. If you are hunting Colorado, go to the state website and use their Free Atlas.

You can print (color)on a normal sheet of paper your hunting area. I print it as an aerial photo and as a topo map. You can also mark points and the map automatically measures the distance between the points.

Awesome, wish I had know all it's benefits when I moved here last year. Will never have to buy a map again for Colorado.

23-Jul-14
I always have both and not just because GPS can fail. A large topo map that you can hold and look at will give you insight that you cannot get with even the largest GPS on the market.

24-Jul-14
Ditto bowcrazy. Really like the Colorado atlas for "lounge chair scouting. Google Earth can be switched to topo too with a KMZ file. I can toggle back and forthe between topo and aerial.

24-Jul-14
take both, your gps can quit on you and you will be happy to have your map and compass as a backup.

24-Jul-14
"GPS, map, compass....always"

"Ditto"

24-Jul-14
I print my own maps on waterproof inkjet paper. I can center it any place I like. The paper I got in bulk when a Gander Mtn went out of business. The ink I have to take out a second mortgage to afford.

I usually have a gps, a compass and a map in my pockets when hunting.

24-Jul-14
Maps don't lie and maps don't depend on telemetry. That being said, a GPS is a useful tool to show where you are on a TOPO when it is laid out in a UTM grid system and you know how to use it. Impossible to get turned around in new areas you've never been in when you use the two together along with a compass.

I always carry a map. Doesn't weigh anything and you can always find your way out regardless of weather, signal, and battery life.

24-Jul-14
I always cut out the portion of the topo map and laminate and keep that in my pack. A lot of places I hunt are remote and heavy timber ect and in many of them I cannot get a gps connection.

God bless, Steve

24-Jul-14
Drop a map on a rock and it still works.

GPS... not so likely! :)

24-Jul-14
GPS, mytopo map, and compass... I study the map extensively to find areas I want to hunt. Wouldn't leave home without my GPS, and my compass is always tied to my beltloop...

Got lost once, spent the night outside in the rain and learned a lesson. Always have your navigation equipment with you.

31-Jul-14
Broken record...both. Always. Print 11x17 of topo maps when i know the area i will focus on. Can cover a lot of miles with a 1:24k topo data printed at 80 % scale on 11x17 sheets. Light, easy to keep on hand.

31-Jul-14
I can't imagine not having paper maps with me.

31-Jul-14
I'd rather have a laminated paper map in my pack if I had to choose between one or nothing. That said: Bring it all: GPS, Map, Compass and extra batteries for the map and compass.

31-Jul-14
But here was the original question:

"When you got a GPS with topo maps on it, did it replace your paper maps? I don't have either for the OTC Units I have picked out. So instead of buying both I was considering just getting a new GPS."

The answer is NO. Make sure you have maps of your hunting area and bring them AND your GPS with you!

If you forget about all the bells and whistles of your particular GPS make and model, the REAL reason you have it is to give you incredibly accurate positional information about your whereabouts. You need to be able to take that real-time info and place it on your map.

Not to say you shouldn't get a new GPS though. It's always best to have the best stuff. Just sayin' ... don't forget the basics.

31-Jul-14
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Im an old army guy. Im actually more comfortable with the maps. The compass is a given.

My old etex has failed to work properly several times. Im going to buy a newer GPS without topo and buy a couple of unit maps. Ill also print a few secondary maps for some specific backup spots.

31-Jul-14
The most effective use for the GPS display maps, IMO is for using with land ownership software where you can see your position relative to a boundary.

I used one for this last fall, and was able to hug the boundary until we started picking up carsonite posts. It was really handy.

If you are just using it for finding your position on a paper map, the mapping display is kind of worthless. Just pull your UTM data and find it on a topo. Sounds like this is second nature for you anyway.

One of my favorite ways to use GPS is to take waypoints from aerials and plot them on the topo, and use the find waypoint for night/off trail navigation.

• Sitka Gear