Gonzo 21-Aug-14
Bigdan 21-Aug-14
Rick M 22-Aug-14
Bigdan 22-Aug-14
Rick M 22-Aug-14
cityhunter 31-Aug-14
Bigdan 31-Aug-14
22-Jul-14
Im looking for a dodge cummins . Good bad ugly ? 12valve 24valve?

22-Jul-14
Early 12 valve motors were great and good fuel economy but also very noisy. They were a 500,000 engine in a 50,000 mile body. Those also went away back in the early 2000's when the 24 valve units came out. The 24 valve is a decent engine and still ok fuel mileage though. I would choose something before the new emission stuff started if it were me.

22-Jul-14
the new one they got is like 850 lbs of torque on a factory tune. Throw on some aftermarket mods and your going to go up from there.

22-Jul-14
Yes... Get something before they started having the DPF system. I believe it started in 2008. You can find a good truck low mileage for a good cost.

22-Jul-14
While the 12 valve didn't have the power the 24 valve did you can get it out if it. So much in fact you can't keep a transmission in it. Solid motor. I don't mind the noise in a diesel. The power if a turbo charged motor in the high country is incredible compared to a gas motor.

22-Jul-14
Had a 98 24 valve, great motor. Now I have an 07 5.9 24 valve. I would stay away from that 6.7 as the injectors are a small mortgage to replace every 200-250k. Also heard bad things on fuel mileage. My 07 is doing great on fuel with an engine tune it's bringing me a realistic 21mpg. I chose a 24 valve over the mechanical 12 valve for the modern convenience. That can be good and bad though too if it were come time to fix it. Haven't had that issue yet though. They are a bombproof cast iron motor but due to the weight they WILL eat front ends. First time it goes just put in one of the lifetime front ends. You'll make that back in 100k. I've been doing front ends every about 60-75k and I don't tow too much. Bought mine at 68k and have 240k on it now. Blew a belt and had an electrical issue first off due to the last owner putting in the wrong battery but other than that just maintenance which as you know is known to be pricey on any diesel.

22-Jul-14
Louis The 5.9 is the motor you want 2007 was the last year they put them in there trucks. Best motor by far.

22-Jul-14
ok thanks u think this truck can tow a elk lol

22-Jul-14
Louis how do you rate getting to hunt with Julio & Vinny. Must be nice you owe me big time.

22-Jul-14
24 valve 5.9 is what you want. 2004-2007 were the best years, most efficient. That motor will go 500K with good care. The auto tranny is another story, but with good maintenence should easily go 150K ish, after that you are on borrowed time and a rebuild will run $3500-5000. Find one in a manual and it's bulletproof.

I have an 06 that just hit 100K so it's just breaking in. Have had to replace one taillight, a thermostat, just did brakes, and a relatively inexpensive low pressure solenoid for the tranny. Still on the original front end and it's very tight. I also tow frequently and drive on rough dirt roads a lot. It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. And it's also quite easy to work on. I wouldn't sell mine, but if I were I'd be looking for $20K+.

22-Jul-14
I have an '05 I bought new. 310,000 miles later, haven't touched the motor, starting to get some rust through in places but runs great and doesn't wear tires. Pulls a trailer like it wasn't there.

22-Jul-14
12 valve is the easiest to work on- Think shade tree mechanic.

There are a lot of 12v going into chevy p/u here in Wyoming basically for the ease of install-NO computer and longevity.

I personally have a 01 24valve 5.9 gets 24 mpg in the summer and 18 with winter blend.

I have the auto tranny and wish I would have gotten the manual- the auto is a ticking money bomb.

Bought mine two years ago with 100,000 for $9500.

First year I replaced the lift pump as it was defective put in a Fass pump. Then shortly thereafter the high pressure pump went $2300.

Tranny had issues but was fixed for less than $100 "whew" glad of that.

I would go 12v if I had to do over.I would buy western truck not something from the salt-rust belt.

22-Jul-14
It's just sad that manufacturers come out with bullet proof engines at times and for various reasons (usually EPA) have to change it or tinker with it only to mess it up. I know the 7.3 power stroke wouldn't meet emission standards so they scraped it. Years ago once you got a diesel running it didn't need electricity to keep going. Crap now the engines are covered in junk. A new exhaust system in a ford with that heated cat runs $7,000! Just for the exhaust. If you run out of urea for the cat on these new diesels they shut down. The sad part is the consumer pays for all the mistakes. Talked to one guy that bought a newer diesel and has put over $20,000 in repairs in the first 200,000 miles.

22-Jul-14
Just bought an 07 5.9 love it my last 5.9 went 385000 before the drunk rear ended it parked in front of the house! Make sure if you go with an 07 it was built between 7/06 and 12/06 1/07 was the start of the 6.7 and its all down hill from that point on.

22-Jul-14
I have a 2005 5.9 with 150k on it. Not an ounce of trouble so far. As said above, the 5.9 is the last motor they made before they started screwing things up. I wouldn't buy one of these new trucks with the urea systems on it.

22-Jul-14
Dan Julio called me !! and asked why so down I told him I aint got me a leftover tag first time in history !! he said what no elk hunting he saved the season !!! I couldn't imagine a season without hunting elk !!DAN that's why I aint chase me any other species in sept ,,,,I got a fever and the only prescription is more elk hunting !!! Dan u will get 3 elk pepperoni this year ;>

22-Jul-14
all the trucks I see have 150,000 to 230,000 yikes

23-Jul-14
Thing is,- with these trucks, 150 is just a little after being broke-in:-)

I'd recommend looking for one where they don't put salt on the roads in the winter, and has been babied.

23-Jul-14
Louis 150 is low miles stay away from 200 +

23-Jul-14
My 2000 Dodge 2500 has over 300K. I have beat the heck out of this rig! The engine is bullet proof but much of the rest of the truck has fallen apart. In the truck's defense though, this thing has been where no pickup should ever be taken. This truck has tried to win trophies in mud bog competitions in Alaska and has been stuck in mud bogs in NM where no trophy was offered.

I have hauled loads that no pickup should be subjected to. I have pulled trailers fit only for semi-trucks. The bottom line is that this truck has been ABUSED! Even so, tomorrow morning, I'll turn the key and the engine will rumble. It will take me and all my tools from jobsite to jobsite. If I find time to grab lunch from a window I'll shut her down while I order. The engine is very loud! Quiet cabs are nice (I guess, 'cause mine is not quiet) but even if the cab is quite the drive-thru might not like your noise. LOL

Long story short, I'm a fan.

23-Jul-14

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo

23-Jul-14
I had an'04 1 ton 6 speed manual.... Best rig I've ever owned with way more power than I ever needed torreon anything... I don't know how accurate the digital has mileage trad out is but I owned mine for almost three years and I had the one room for door long need dully and between everything city and highway when I sold it it said I averaged 19.7 mpg. Again I don't know the aviary l accuracy of that trad out but even if it was high by two miles a gallon it still beats anything out there today with that size and power. Only bad thing I can say is the front end went out on me twice but I heard that's the norm? Finally I got it fixed right and never a problem. Best rig I've ever owned by far and safe as can be with a smooth ride and quiet.

23-Jul-14
i have a 2000 24V 5.9L that I have owned since new. I see it easily lasting at least another 10 years. mine has been used hard at times, but not abused. it is still a very solid and reliable truck. I have the 5 speed manual tranny with 4.10 rear. if I keep it under 65 MPH, I will get 21-22 MPG HWY loaded or empty.

my only complaint is the fuel delivery system. from 98.5 to 2002 (could be 2001?), the VP44 injection pump is primed by a very weak lift pump prone to failure. mine went out years ago at about 98K miles and took out the expensive VP44 injection pump at the same time.

there are some very good after market lift pump options from companies like FASS and Raptor. I have a Raptor that fits in the OEM location and I also added a fuel pressure gauge. my truck is stock.

I too am a fan. You could buy a Cummins 5.9 crate motor. When/if the time comes, I will seriously look at buying a motor and refurbishing an older truck. For $25K, you could build a very nice older model truck that would essentially be new.

23-Jul-14
Yes, the 2nd generations had issues with the lift pumps.

I had a 99 24 valve that was a great truck. I wrecked it and replaced it with 2004 3rd generation. I really like the quieter motor.

I would look for an 04.5 to 06 model if I were you. BTW, I have 230k miles on my current one (bought it with 200k miles) and it's rock solid.

23-Jul-14
its not easy finding a truck with 150,000 just saw a 99 with 450,000 4sale wth

23-Jul-14
Louis look on Auto Trader there is about 2200 listed

23-Jul-14
I own a 99 Dodge 2500, 5 spd. I am the 3rd owner. Truck currently has 204,000 on it. Cummins won't ever fall apart but the rest of the Dodge is subject to change. I personally like the 5.9 24 valve. If I were you I'd look for an 01 with the 6 spd in it. Try to find a good west coast truck.

Put it to you this way, I like the truck enough that when I updated to a 2012 1/2 ton pick up - I kept my 99 Dodge as a 'farm truck'.

23-Jul-14
cityhunter look out west--Montana-Wyoming.

The dodge diesels are very popular and there is a ton of them out here.

Usually around the Billings area I find trucks that are very reasonable.

Just a thought- Buy a truck go elk hunting all in the same day.

23-Jul-14
I have the much criticized '07 with a 6.7 diesel....151K and never a problem. This is my 5th Dodge Cummins 4x4 and the best thing about the '07 is the engine brake.....I couldn't do without that feature now. Towing the 5th wheel, I can come off any high Sierra pass and never touch my brakes!! Tow haul was great but this engine brake is amazing......

Joe

23-Jul-14

JLS's Link
If you are going to pull a heavy trailer the exhaust brake is by far the best addition you can put on a diesel pickup.

I installed one on my '99 in an afternoon, and had about five bills into the whole setup.

23-Jul-14
I believe the problem with the early 6.7 was the emissions. I got that word right from the mechanics at the Dodge dealership.

It's my understanding that the new ones got all that nonsense straightened out.

23-Jul-14
thanks Tim will start my search out there !!

24-Jul-14
I just got my Powerstroke towed last night by a Cummins with a 6.7 again. My Ford is an F350 LB CC and nearly as big as the Dodge that was pulling it. The tow truck was a 2013 and pulled the Ford up mountainous roads with tons of power to spare. The driver couldn't say enough good things about the 6.7 and he has 3. I've never liked Dodge's as much but they do a nice job towing my Fords.

29-Jul-14
I've got an '06 Megacab. Love it. So do my hunting buddies. They're not even broke in until you've got 100k on them.

29-Jul-14
I have an 3/4T 07 6.7L with 130k and a 1T 11 6.7L with 80k wouldn't trade them for anything. You can't go wrong buying a Commins. Try Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho they always have the older modles taken in on trade.

www.davesmith.com

29-Jul-14
quinn007 how much bigger is the mega to the quad

29-Jul-14
How is this for a cummins mess...I had my DPF stolen and it was several months before I could replace it....truck ran fine and consistently got 18.5-19.0 MPG...Check engine light said my new DPF was building up ash...turned out it would not go into "regen" mode and burn it up cause the computer didn't recognize the new DPF...Dealer suggested flashing the computer...I did, it went into re-gen and cleaned an 80% ash accumulation to a normal 20%...Yea it all sounds good...I drove the truck and it performed like a banshee...felt like 80+ horsepower...but...I now get 15.5 MPG !! I don't need the extra HP and I sure miss my good fuel economy...Dodge says the computer flash was re-programmed for all dealers last year for more power and I was stuck with what I got....

Joe

30-Jul-14
Joe just do a DPF delete, on your own and you will get best of both worlds... Just do not get caught or live where emissions are... FYI all trucks with the DPF are struggling not just dodge...

30-Jul-14
Joe just do a DPF delete, on your own and you will get best of both worlds... Just do not get caught or live where emissions are... FYI all trucks with the DPF are struggling not just dodge...

21-Aug-14
Dan put the idea in my head about the mega cab!!! Man they are hard to come by !!! finally found a sweet one 2006 Mega 2500 Blk all options only 700 miles to pickup :<

21-Aug-14

Gonzo's embedded Photo
Gonzo's embedded Photo
Love my '09 6.7 liter 2500 truck. I traded an 04' 5.9 liter 4x4 dually with 6 speed for it... I really like the exhaust brake and tow/haul features! Mine just rolled over 60K...

21-Aug-14
Talked to City this morning he was headed for NC to pick up his truck. He should have it in the morning. he told me its a 2006 mega cab with 80k on it. and the 5.9 in it

22-Aug-14
Did he get rid of that Jeep?

22-Aug-14
I think he's trading in his jeep. He's coming to Montana with it to hunt elk in sept.

22-Aug-14
Just got a pic. Black Mega cab. Nice Texas truck.

31-Aug-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
the jeep served me well over 70,000 miles in 4 yrs all for the sake of hunting !! But this new rig is sweet 5th wheel hookup plenty of power from the 5.9 cruised at 70mph with 22.3 mpg !!!

31-Aug-14
Nice Louis it does have a big bumper good thing for the steps so you can get in it.

• Sitka Gear