Contributors to this thread:
cliff 23-Jul-14
cliff 31-Jul-14
bill v 31-Jul-14
sheephunter2 31-Jul-14
cliff 31-Jul-14
ridgerunnerron 31-Jul-14
23-Jul-14
Back in May I drew a tag in area 1 in Wyoming. I was just curious if anyone on this site has hunted sheep in that area recently .Ridgerrunnerron contacted me after I posted my draw results on this site in May. He said I believe it was 15 yrs since he hunted the area. Just would like to find out a little more about it. I know it's rugged. I've contacted the Game @ fish and have the harvest report for the past 6 years. Using a outfitter friend of mine. We'll be doing a back pack hunt, No horses. Like to know types of gear to take that isn't something that you usually would think about , thing like that. would you recommend tracking poles,1 or 2. etc. . Really just want to speak with a recent area 1 hunter about their hunt. Thanks for any input. Hunt starts 1 Sept. 14 days

31-Jul-14
I guess no one has no one has area 1 in Wy. Well I'll be the first. Wish me luck.

31-Jul-14
Hello Cliff, I'll wish ya luck, shoot a big one. I'll be in area 5 in Oct. I didn't see your from Pa until just now. There is a few tags in Pa, we were lucky already.

Again, Good Luck. What part of Pa are you from?

Bill V.

31-Jul-14
sent you a pm

31-Jul-14
Thanks, good luck to you too. I'll be hunting on opening day for 14 days. If no luck back again in late October. I'm from NE Pa. Little town called Berwick. See you drew 5 in the random draw. YOUR one lucky guy. Good luck and may God bless you with a Big Ram.

31-Jul-14
Wishing you the best of luck Cliff, safe travels, hunt hard, shoot straight when the moment arrives, enjoy every minute of the hunt- who knows when you will have another sheep tag in your hand!

Be prepared for very cool nights in the high country- in mid Sept it got below freezing in the high country ...canteens in the tent froze solid overnight...both guides packed and carried shotguns because of the griz numbers...and they trashed our tents we left set up for one day.

Good call going for the opener and then if no luck go back last week or so of season.

(Back in 1999, in Sept part of season my outfitter said he preferred most of the time to be fairly deep in the defined Wilderness area to find sheep...we went via horseback/packtrain)

• Sitka Gear