xring 30-Jul-14
arctichill 30-Jul-14
RYAN 31-Jul-14
IdyllwildArcher 31-Jul-14
WYelkhunter 31-Jul-14
arctichill 31-Jul-14
cityhunter 31-Jul-14
23-Jul-14
No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness areas, as defined by Federal law, in this state , Unless accompanied by a lic professional guide or resident guide !!!

So I can hike fish and hunt small game on this wilderness areas but im not allowed to hunt big game ,,, How is this legal on Federal Land . I can see this on state land but Fed land .

I spoke to WY FG they said cause I could get lost hurt while hunting big game !!!! My reply was what about if I was hiking or fishing . NO answer was given to me !!

Why hasent bow hunters got off there rumps and challenged WY in a class action ??

23-Jul-14
Same reason they haven't challenged Alaska!

23-Jul-14
Wyoming has the authority to regulate its wildlife, licensing, the methods of take, areas, etc..

Of course it makes no sense and is probably exactly what it looks like: A backhanded subsidy to the outfitting industry. But, I suspect it is completely legal.

23-Jul-14
Glunt drove that nail on the head, speak with your dollars and go elsewhere!

23-Jul-14
Wow so the term "wilderness area" also refers to national forest? That ish is crazy. So long story short only residents can hunt wyoming without a guide!! Is this new?

23-Jul-14
I agree its BS... I had a freind who had a sheep lic in Wyoming and had to play this silly game of skirting the Wilderness areas... You use to be able to hunt goats in Alaska w/o a guide...not any more. I have had two guides...one in Africa and one in Asia...I LIKE doing it on my own...if I kill or hurt myself guess whos fault it is MINE...

23-Jul-14
Mebbe because when you find out you aren't the reincarnation of Davy Crockett the state has to pay for finding you and hauling your butt out because you don't know where you are or broke your leg on the danger you didn't see.

23-Jul-14
Calling it a backhanded subsidy is too generous. It's a double knee subsidy.

23-Jul-14
Peter, isn't that what the SAR donation is for? You could always get lost fishing or hiking/camping. It sucks but it is what it is.

Unless the almighty dollar stops going to the state I doubt they will ever change It.

23-Jul-14
Pete,

Are you REALLY trying to tell us that non-residents are more likely to get lost or hurt than residents.

You are completely out of your mind!!

DDD

23-Jul-14
Preventing a crisis is better than trying to fix it.

23-Jul-14
DDD of course I'm saying that its not only intuitive its correct. Knowledge is power.

23-Jul-14
Pete that makes no sense what u are saying ,, as a NONRES I can hike fish and I guess hunt small game in the wilderness but cant hunt big game HMMM sounds like this needs to be challenged in the courts !!!

23-Jul-14
Non resident hunters aren't nearly as likely to have accident or need SAR as non resident tourists and hikers, it's totally a subsidy

23-Jul-14
Beating a Dead Horse here Lou--sorry man as it 'aint' gonna change....

Good luck, Robb

23-Jul-14
Like someone said Alaska is the same way with Grizzlys, Sheep and Goats. If I recall at one point they where trying to get the moose on there list to that a Non-Res needed a guide its BS and just helping out the outfitter industry if you ask me.

Aaron

23-Jul-14
You can thank the Outfitter lobby for this one... Agree it's total BS and I believe it has been challenged in court. The legislature can determine when, where, and how it's wildlife can be taken. And like all legislatures ours has been/ is misguided at times...

23-Jul-14
Yes, it's a dead horse.

Yes, you can do whatever else you want to do in the wilderness unguided.

Yes, it's within Wyoming's right to legislate this.

Yes, it'c chicken shit.

A good friend of mine works for WY G&F. He laughs when I hassle him about it because there is no way he is going to try to defend it under the shallow auspices of "public safety". To do so is disingenious.

It's a subsidy to the outfitters, and a perk to the residents that want to get away from NR hunters. Sorry Pete, but you're trying to put lipstick on a pig here.

23-Jul-14
Maybe we should all just stay home...much safer with the rest of the sheep that lets the Govt tell you what is good for you. Wasnt this this country made on the backs of rugged individuals willing to risk all? I just got back from a solo wilderness scouting trip here in Colorado about an hour ago...I have done hundreds of these trips over the years.

I will somtimes run into others on trails. Yesterday I ran into three people at 12,000 feet in jeans shorts and t-shirts...tennis shoes near the border of the Wilderness area about an hour from the trailhead. A hunter who is willing to take on the WA is going to be WAAAAAY more prepared that the mass of tourists who hike, backpack and fish in the same areas.

23-Jul-14
Well I used to be a fishing guide in Minnesota quetico and Wisconsin. Storms waterfalls reefs and malfunctions can kill or injure pretty quickly. I have musky fished lake of the woods for forty years. I don't need a guide. It kills its mistakes.

23-Jul-14
Gotcha wilderness you won't get hurt in a place you have never been because you are the reincarnation of Davy. Just don't go to Texas.

23-Jul-14
This regulation is a political gift to the WYGOA.

You can hike, backpack and fish in WY wilderness without a guide because no way would you get lost. But hunt without a guide? No way! You might get lost!

23-Jul-14
jls so what if a non res wants to hunt small game in the wilderness with a bow ?

Robb the reason no change is only a small % this affects

23-Jul-14
The far larger issue is the criminal system of permit distribution to NR's on federal land. It could be changed. Just as AZ was forced to have a MLK day. Simply pull the federal funds until they see the light. Let them change it. Not a big deal at all. They still make game laws, and when they suit us, they get federal hi way, school, Medicare funding back. This would not take long at all. Also, the federal government can very well close all federal land to hunting. No doubt about that either.

23-Jul-14
September and October are different from July where I live in Illinois. Is it different in the mountains?

23-Jul-14
Louis,

I have never looked it up to see if you could grouse hunt with a bow in the wilderness.

The regulation rises to a new level of ridiculous when you consider that you can go with a resident, provided they get their free slip of paper that allows them to take you. They don't have to show any qualification, other than they can breathe and sign an "X" on a sheet of paper.

Some "safety" net.

The reason it will never get changed is that the residents have no vested interest in making the push to change it. They benefit from it also.

23-Jul-14
Let's start a petition to get it in front of the legislators. There is no better place to start it than right here on Bowsite. We've got thousands of people that I bet would sign it without even trying very hard. That is if Pat is ok with it.

23-Jul-14
Really, do you think if the current administration could stop funding for hunting reasons, they wouldn't have done it by now? Think about it, if they had the power to control it that way, we wouldn't be hunting anywhere. don't give em any more ideas then the stupidity they already have. just sayin

23-Jul-14
This subject has beaten up on a few different threads. I don't like it either, but I'm pretty sure Wyoming has the right to manage the game in their state as they see fit. For some reason I'm thinking it already was challenged and held up. Could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Louis, I think its b.s. too, but it seems to be the way the people in Wyoming want it. Hire a guide or move I guess.

Good luck out there guys. Getting close.

23-Jul-14
Go anyway!!!

23-Jul-14
Its silly and goes against so many other aspects of Wyoming that support personal accountability and rugged individualism. Its a square peg in a State that otherwise usually defaults to personal freedom.

Its a testament to how powerful a small lobby can be in a low population state.

23-Jul-14
So... .its looking like my WY points are a waste? Damn!

23-Jul-14
Another 20years your gonna have to be married to the goveners daughter to be able to hunt in any given state.

23-Jul-14
Wouldn't say points are a waste. There a lot of places in Wyoming with elk that aren't wilderness.

23-Jul-14
Yeah, Guess I shouldn't have said waste......its just a bummer that you can try and plan something years in advance and within a short time frame it can all change!

23-Jul-14
Wouldn't worry about it. All I heard was public land. Pretty sure I'm part of the public and I like hunting wilderness. Fish and game has a better chance of getting lost or hurt trying to find me and slap me with a fine. Can't really imagine many fines get issued for this. Seems pretty silly.

Nick

23-Jul-14
Funny you mentioned how dangerous it was to go fishing Pete..... fishing you can do without any guide. And I know folks that winter camp in WY wilderness. Nothing needed there either.

There is no realistic logical defense of what is clearly a welfare system for guides and outfitters.

Throwing another log on the fire ... my understanding is the guide doesn't have to be a WY resident either, just a licensed guide with the state.

23-Jul-14
Cry all you want but it's been upheld by the court system and Wyoming will never change the law. I moved to Wyoming in 1975 and it was the law then. What sucks even more is the requirement that you have to physically reside in Wyoming for one year before you can become a citizen. Also how hateful the state is to nonresident people who want to fish in Wyoming as evidence, the $92.00 fee they charge a nonresident for an annual fishing license. The outfitters in Wyoming are very powerful and many of them are or have very close friends in the legislature. The best way to get around the law is to make a new hunting buddy who is a Wyoming citizen. They can accompany you while hunting any wilderness area in Wyoming.

23-Jul-14
As I've suggested before- find a cute hippie chick in Laramie or Rawlins and take her camping for a week while you hunt. That satisfies the "resident guide" requirement, and should also satisfy Pete's concerns about something of which he knows nothing about.

Right this minute there are thousands of people camping, fishing, orienteering and technical climbing in the wilderness areas of WY unguided, and somehow they manage to barely survive.

24-Jul-14
LUNGSHOT, this only applies to designated wilderness areas, not non-wilderness National Forest. Presumably roadless NF is MUCH safer than what lies behind the little carsonite signposts in that same National Forest.

24-Jul-14
Lou,

They probably have cute hippie chicks with them.

24-Jul-14
Indeed, which makes them highly experienced wilderness guides when you pluck them from, say, the Cowboy Bar on Friday night before elk season opens.

24-Jul-14
My experience and qualifications seemed to be much greater in magnitude after a few hours at the Cowboy Bar. Maybe you're on to something...

24-Jul-14
So ... does that Cowboy Bar thing work better during the rut?

24-Jul-14
The law is complete Bull$h!+

It's a government handout to guides, as is the Alaska law.

Same deal in Canada, although that's a different country, so I'm not as vested as these are my public lands.

24-Jul-14
Lou... there's wilderness and then there's wilder-ness....

Actually I think the later is the more dangerous and likely more fitting of a guide to get your through it safely....

24-Jul-14
"Louis, I think its b.s. too, but it seems to be the way the people in Wyoming want it."

Being a Wyoming native I have to admit that I take advantage of the wilderness law. On the years that I don't draw a limited quota archery elk tag I can buy a general tag, go into the wilderness and still find some good hunting without a lot of people or pressure. I'm not saying the law is right but don't really care to see it change.

Another thing is not all wilderness is created equal in WY with some having grizz to contend with. Those few areas without great numbers or no grizz tend to be smaller and would get way more pressure than they could support. If the state would leave Bridger, Cloud Peak and Popo Agie Wilderness the same or figure out a way to control the #'s without making them limited quota draw I might support it.

That is my 1 cent.

24-Jul-14
"There is no realistic logical defense of what is clearly a welfare system for guides and outfitters."

It seems some of you are referring to guides like they really have a controlling interest dealing with this law. They don't.

Being a guide is like the old carpenter vs contractor situation. The carpenter/guide does the grunt work because it pays the bills and they might even enjoy it while the contractor/outfitter makes the bigger money. I'm not saying this is wrong as the contractor/outfitter usually has more invested in the deal but there is a big difference in the two titles.

I really doubt a guide could afford to spend any of his hard earned money to lobby for the sustained closure of the wilderness to NR. Furthermore the guide can't take anyone into the wilderness legally without the umbrella of an outfitter. So before you all go bashing guides remember they are the worker bees of the hunting industry.

Thats my second cent.

24-Jul-14
Just out of curiosity, what is the fine /penalty?

24-Jul-14
I hunt units in WY that have large sections of Wilderness I find plenty of elk on areas outside the wilderness that's not the point ! The point is im charged full price for a tag. But can only use a small section of the land !!!

Also have friends in WY but would never ask them to take me into areas of wilderness.

24-Jul-14
Trex if enough guys talk folks will be forced to listen . Just last month a guy posted how two women in cali shut down a 3d area !! If u guys sit back it wont be long to all our outdoor pleasures will be taken ...

Vernon I don't see this as being a welfare for guides outfitters if so why am I allowed to fish without a guide ? I see this as discrimination against US citizen's that are not residents in the state of WY !!

This is Fed land not state land . The Feds can shut this down to all hunting and all traffic . If u recall this was done in AK last year I heard some outfitters ignored the temporary law !!!

24-Jul-14
"As I've suggested before- find a cute hippie chick in Laramie or Rawlins"

First I have to overcome the draw odds, then the odds of finding a cute hippie chick in Laramie or Rawlins?

You better be living right for those two to work in your favor; and then arrow a bull? I'd suggest buying a lotto ticket before you and the cute hippie chick leave town.

:)

24-Jul-14
I think a chubby cowgirl with horses would be warmer and more useful if a storm hits!

24-Jul-14
One thing is for certain...This rule will only change as a result of legislative pressure applied by Wyoming Residents. For the guy who suggested starting a Bowsite petition...have at it. You can collect a billion signatures from non - Wyoming Residents and it still results in zero votes gained or lost from any Wyoming State Legislator's perspective. If you think this rule needs to change convince the Wyoming residents. If that effort fails and you still desire to hunt Wyoming wilderness areas without a guide follow one of the suggestions above about "resident guides", or move to Wyoming and become a resident.

24-Jul-14
Catering to guides and outfitters.

24-Jul-14
Do we really have to go through this yet again? Where were you on the other threads Louis? If I recall this has been challenged before and the challenge was denied, but I could be thinking of something else.

As I've stated before, I'm sure the law was made under the guise of protecting non-resident hunters. Of course it is a load of feces, but it isn't changing anytime soon. In my opinion, it isn't something worth worrying about though.

24-Jul-14
I absolutely wish I had access to hunt in Wilderness areas in Wyoming. That being said, if I was a Wyoming resident the fact that I had privileges to hunt certain areas nonresidents do not would be a real benefit. The pretense in which the legislation is defended is nothing short of laughable(safety) and I do not believe it has anything to do with benefiting residents and everything to do with cash.

24-Jul-14
No need for million signatures no need for federal intervention just that small tiny little group known as Wyoming outfitters association telling the legislature they don't want the NR wilderness rule anymore and POOF it would be gone That's it! Not going to happen! An embarrassment to the great state of Wyoming!

24-Jul-14
A better bet in my opinion would be through the Federal Gov't. They could easily make it so that no one could be impeded in regards to recreation (including hunting)on USFS land and Wyoming would be SOL.

As Gonehuntin said "just go in there and hunt"! I have read somewhere the fine is less than $500.

24-Jul-14

Z Barebow's Link
I don't agree with the law either. In fact for several years, I boycotted even applying in WYO because of the law.

But I also recognize it as a state's rights issue and it is their right to make their own rules. (Even if it is an outfitter welfare rule, which we all know it is). Don't piss on my leg and tell me it is raining.

I ran into these folks (Link) several years ago in Sheridan. (I had also encountered them the year before). They wanted me to sign a petition to advocate adding the Rock Creek Area under Wilderness Designation. I had time to research these folks. They are also pushing to add Palisades and significant portions of Bridger Teton NF for designation also. (Some area which I have hunted)

I asked if they had a stance on this issue (No NR Big game in Wilderness) The tap dance music started. The rep stated they weren't anti hunting and even had hunters in their organization. I asked how can I hunt Frank Church, Bob Marshall, and River of No Return, but somehow I am too inept to hunt wilderness in their state. She stated I could always hire an outfitter. (Obviously we had reached an impass). I told her I am a great supporter of wilderness, but I would not support expansion of one acre of wilderness within Wyoming until their organization would support the repeal of this law.

I also sent an e-mail to their executive director stating the above. Until they change their stance, take me off their mailing list.

Needless to say I still get e-mails and still tell them to pound sand.

Louis- You need to start these threads during application time. You need to chase more people away from hunting Wyoming! Everyone knows animals can read maps.

24-Jul-14
Did this just pass?

24-Jul-14
A law that really should be passed is one here in Colorado saying Wyoming residents must hire a local driver to drive there vehicle for them anywhere here in the front range.

24-Jul-14
Oldgoat, you can't be serious with that BS statement. I've driven all over this world and the folks between Ft. Collins and Denver are some of the worst i have ever seen...not saying Wyoming folks are much better..but i guess you just get used to stupid drivers, wherever they may be from...

24-Jul-14
What is the best call for a Laramie Hippie Chick? Will a Hoochie Momma work?

24-Jul-14
I would think any rational person would agree this law falls under the category of ridiculous. However, for those that continue to argue that it's not legal for Wyoming to keep you off Federal land...stop it! Your argument simply isn't valid. Wyoming doesn't keep you off Federal land. As others have pointed out, you can hike, fish, even hunt small game, to your heart's content. What you CAN'T do is hunt big or trophy game without a licensed guide or resident guide. Since those animals belong to the State of Wyoming, they can manage them, or mismanage them, however they see fit. It's been upheld in courts time and time again.

"One thing is for certain...This rule will only change as a result of legislative pressure applied by Wyoming residents."

Completely disagree with this statement for a couple reasons. First, this simply isn't going to happen. More importantly, why don't the people that are actually affected by this law take ownership in changing it? All it would take is for all N/R's to boycott hunting big game in Wyoming for one year. That loss of revenue would result in the law changing faster than it takes to read this post. Of course this isn't likely going to happen either.

For those that asked, the fine for the 1st offense is $750. Your vehicle, weapon, and any animal you are in possession of will most likely be confiscated. On the rare chance something happens that would require rescue/recovery, you will also have to pay restitution for the cost incurred.

24-Jul-14
Your permit would not be valid in the wilderness area so disregarding the law would be extreeeeeemly expensive and detrimental to future hunting opportunities.

24-Jul-14
Anyone who thinks there's a chance in hell that the House and Senate would pass a bill removing state control over hunting and fishing regulations, wildlife management, hunting methods, etc.., after multiple Supreme Court rulings supporting that right, is living in a dream world.

This is Wyoming's issue to resolve, or not. It's a great deal for the outfitters. It's great deal for residents who want some uncrowded roadless areas set aside for themselves. It's not so good for NRs who want to hunt wilderness unguided, like me, for instance. But I can choose to hunt there or go somewhere else. Nobody's forcing me to hunt WY.

I'd like to see reciprocity with other states when hosting residents of the states with these types of laws. If a WY resident wants to hunt public land in any other state, he/she should be required to hire a guide. Seems fair. After all, it's for their own protection. :-)

24-Jul-14
"I'd like to see reciprocity with other states when hosting residents of the states with these types of laws. If a WY resident wants to hunt public land in any other state, he/she should be required to hire a guide. Seems fair. After all, it's for their own protection. :-) "

x2

24-Jul-14
I like that one Lou.

Yep it will NEVER change...all the benefits go to the Wyoming residents and they don't have any trouble getting rid of those tags.

This is never going to affect me...but just ain't right. Lots of guys want to do it on thier own or they don't have 8-10 thousand to spend after all the costs are added up.

24-Jul-14
I agree, the law sux and we all know what it is. About 8 or 9 years ago George Taulman & USO outfitters out of NM tried to sue AZ to get more tags for their NR clients. It went to court and was ruled that residents of each individual state own the wildlife that reside within their boundaries. Because of this they could issue tags as they see fit. Like has already been mentioned this is a states rights issue and can only be changed by the residents within the state. Since Wy residents have no vested interest in changing it, I doubt they would.

My question is this: as a resident of AZ with max points for elk and deer in Wyoming, are the wilderness units really that much better than others? I plan on using my points in about 3-4 years and I hope to have a good, high quality hunt and DIY. Or do I need a new friend who happens to live in Wyoming and knows the wilderness areas well?

24-Jul-14
"I'd like to see reciprocity with other states when hosting residents of the states with these types of laws."

If I recall this is what helped change KS NR regulations many years ago?

24-Jul-14
Yeah, and don't think they won't hit you hard if they catch a non res in wilderness- they slam you according to the wardens and Wyo has the reciprocity deal where they alert other states as to your game violations.

Jaq, quote, "As I've suggested before- find a cute hippie chick in Laramie or Rawlins"

I know it was a joke but this doesn't satisfy the legal req as written in the regs and will get you AND the resident in trouble. If you do go with a resident, check the regs for the procedure.

Best to check the regs anyway as they have a req in some areas you have to have bear spray with you.

24-Jul-14
Dang, there goes the cute hippie chick angle.

24-Jul-14
But you could go to jail with a smile. If your try to hippie chic angle.

24-Jul-14
I guess some people can't tell when they are reading a joke! I'd make a joke about his choice in bows but he probably wouldn't be able to tell I was kidding then either!

24-Jul-14
The NR wilderness law is only about 40 years old, been tested in court, and isn't going anywhere. Not much sense in getting worked up, nobody is going to pony up the cash to test it again.

24-Jul-14
Knothead- Animals cannot read wilderness signs. There are enough places in WYO to meet your requirement as an NR.

24-Jul-14
wyobullshooter -"Since those animals belong to the State of Wyoming"

Douglas v. Seacoast Products, Inc., supra at 431 U. S. 284, where MR. JUSTICE MARSHALL, speaking for the Court, observed:

"A State does not stand in the same position as the owner of a private game preserve, and it is pure fantasy to talk of 'owning' wild fish, birds, or animals. Neither the States nor the Federal Government, any more than a hopeful fisherman or hunter, has title to these creatures until they are reduced to possession by skillful capture. . . .

24-Jul-14
Wyobullshooter,

I never said that residents would apply pressure to change the rule. I simply stated that would be the only thing that would change the rule. Obviously (as you also indicated) a total boycott from NR'S is never going to happen. If it did though, it would be the Wyoming residents who would need to find a solution to the effects of the boycott. Maybe that solution would include changing this rule? Again, the only thing that's going to change the rule is pressure applied to Wyoming legislators by Wyoming residents....and that's the way it should be IMO.

24-Jul-14
The cute hippie chick angle is still in play. Just have her buy an $18 wolf license (probably a Cons. stamp too), go by the regional office and get an NC guide license for free, and you are set. She might like it if you bought her things as well, but that would be up to you! Am I missing something where the non-commercial guide cannot be a cute female or a hippie?

Regarding the bear spray: As far as I am aware that is only a requirement in GTNP.

24-Jul-14
easy oldgoat, just got my azz hair in a twist for a minute...apologies

24-Jul-14
;-)

24-Jul-14
Franzen...you read the regs!

24-Jul-14
"I'd like to see reciprocity with other states when hosting residents of the states with these types of laws. If a WY resident wants to hunt public land in any other state, he/she should be required to hire a guide. Seems fair. After all, it's for their own protection. :-)"

And that's just it. Everyone wants to come to WY, not leave WY, which is why they can get away with whatever they want. I bet if every state in the union made the same law for wilderness areas only for WY residents hunting as NRs, it wouldn't change a thing because of the quality of hunting in WY.

If AZ said that all NRs had to hire a guide in unit 9, there'd still be a million people applying for the tag.

24-Jul-14
Jim River, not once did I say the citizens "owned" the animals within it's borders. However, they do elect the Governor, which appoints the Game Commission. Those commissioners are subsequently ratified by the state senate, who also happen to be elected by the citizens of Wyoming. The Game Commission is responsible for the management and direction of the Game and Fish Department. The Game and Fish Department, among other things, is responsible for the management of big and trophy game within it's borders. Obviously, that isn't set in stone (see wolf reintroduction), but that's generally how it works. If you didn't like my use of the word "belong, then certainly feel free to change it, but the bottom line remains the same.

artichill, I'm pretty sure we agree this law is bogus. What we don't agree on is how it can be changed. I already stated how nonresidents could effect a change. It would take a sacrifice on everyone's part, but it would effect the change.

Using your argument, when my kids were deciding on what college to attend, had they decided on Arizona State University, I should have expected the residents of Arizona to put pressure on their legislature to set out of state tuition exactly the same as in state. In that case, as in this, it simply isn't going to happen.

24-Jul-14
NR hunters already pays more, just like out of state students (and hunters) pretty much everywhere.

But they aren't required to hire a private tutor for certain classes where as the resident students do not..... =D

24-Jul-14

WapitiBob's Link
How is it legal?

23-2-401. Guides required; exceptions; issuance of resident guide license.

(a) No nonresident shall hunt big or trophy game animals on any designated wilderness area, as defined by federal or state law, in this state unless accompanied by a licensed professional guide or a resident guide. There shall be at least one (1) licensed professional guide or resident guide accompanying each two (2) nonresident hunters.

The commission may also specify other areas of the state, or specific big or trophy game species, for which a licensed professional or resident guide is required for nonresidents, for purposes of proper game management, protection of hunter welfare and safety, or better enforcement of game and fish laws. The commission may allow licensed guides to accompany more than two (2) hunters but no more than six (6) hunters in specific areas.

(b) Any resident possessing a valid resident big or trophy game animal license may apply for and receive a resident guide license. The resident guide license shall be issued without charge or bond by the commission, any district supervisor or resident game warden upon receipt of an affidavit from the resident stating the names and addresses of the nonresident hunters to be guided, the game to be hunted, the area to be hunted, and that the resident has not received nor will accept directly or indirectly any compensation for his services as a guide. A resident guide shall not guide more than two (2) nonresident hunters in any calendar year on any national forest, wilderness area, national game refuge, or national park, except as provided in W.S. 23-2-401, nor shall he accept any compensation or gratuity for his services.

An exchange of guide services shall not be considered compensation for the purposes of this section. The name and license number of the nonresident hunter shall be placed on the back of the resident guide license and stamped or signed by the issuer....

If you want some light reading...

"Hunter vs Hunter, The case for Discriminatory NR Hunting" :

http://tinyurl.com/n8aga25

24-Jul-14
What gives any state the right to say they own the wildlife on Public land Only God can make such a bold statement !!! What would bring a change in seconds if all non res hikers tourist etc were not allowed to enter wilderness without a WY guide . WY would shut down in weeks , without its nonres money !!

24-Jul-14
OK City- I will start the Boycott. You will not see me in WYO this coming season! ;-)

25-Jul-14
God forgot to specify that in the Bible so the U.S. Supreme Court did it for him. Several times.

Franzen, so I guess one needs to hook up with the hippie chick ahead of time so she can buy a wolf license and send in the affidavit. All that could happen on a summer fishing/scouting trip to Laramie, eh?

25-Jul-14
wyobullshooter,

I do not agree that the law is bogus. I am not a fan of the law...at all. It is the will of the citizen's of the state of Wyoming, which means that it's not bogus...at least not in my mind's eye. Of course the outfitter's have an influence in this legislation. The non-outfitter residents of Wyoming strongly outnumber the outfitter residents of Wyoming. If the outfitters still hold more influence then the outfitters are simply more involved and influential in the legislative process.

In NM, NR's who choose to hire an outfitter can apply in a pool of NR tags separate from those NR's who choose not to (or cannot afford to) hire an outfitter. To me, this rule is similar to the Wyoming rule. As a NM resident and as President of the United Bowhunters of New Mexico, I fought tooth and nail to eliminate this rule. I wanted to see ALL NR's have an equal chance of drawing a tag whether or not that NR applicant could afford to hire an outfitter.

The outfitters fought hard against this (as expected). Many residents supported the effort, but far too many watched from the sidelines and hoped for the best. Surprisingly, the strongest opposition was from NR's (obviously those who liked the better draw odds of the outfitted pool of tags). That group furiously called and e-mailed NM state legislators. I actually had legislators who admitted to me that they knew nothing about the issue, but would support our bill simply because they were sick and tired of being "harassed" by NR's.

The bill (SB196) passed, but sadly it was amended in a way that was horrible for DIY NR hunters. The amendment came from a legislator who didn't understand the intricacies of the issue. DIY NR's got hosed! Instead of choosing to work with the RESIDENT groups working on this issue, NR's chose to contact legislators who couldn't care less about their concerns. The result has been almost tragic to DIY NR hunters.

As the President of the UBNM, I expected support from NR hunters. We didn't get it. As it turned out, that likely didn't matter too much to the legislators as NR's can't vote anyway. It did matter to the UBNM though. If NR's would have lined up to join and support our cause they could have had MUCH more (or at least more positive) influence than they had by contacting NM State legislators directly.

I am a huge fan of state's creating their own laws...regarding wildlife or anything else. I believe that's why there are 50 different states! For those who want to include the Fed's in every debate, why don't we just appoint Obama as the Governor of every State??? There are 50 separate states....let's allow them to remain separate.

Today, The UBNM is very proud to be working closely with the New Mexico Council of Outfitters and Guides (NMCOG). You may have seen the thread about the fully outfitted AZ Coues auction?? I posted that thread to help raise money for the NMCOG. Admittedly, UBNM and NMCOG have not always been in agreement. Two things are for sure though: 1. We are all NM residents (SB196 comes into play) 2. NM residents should make ALL the decisions about how NM wildlife is managed on ALL lands whether it be owned by the state, the feds, or a private individual.

25-Jul-14
Beendare, I've read'em before, yes. I did have to check out the bear spray thing though. I thought maybe there was something new that I wasn't aware of.

How'd you know I was in Laramie three weeks ago Lou?! Haha. Most of my time was spent in the western part of the state, and I only stopped in Laramie because I had to replace the thermostat on my truck I swear!

Nothing would happen if the tourists weren't allowed in the Wilderness city. Now if you changed that to National Park, then yes Wyoming would have a problem.

25-Jul-14
If I want to hunt Elk in California (as a non-resident) I must purchase a Private Land Management Tag which are almost all controlled / possessed by Guides.

25-Jul-14
bla,bla,bla,bla. This comes up every year, Yes WY has the right to do it, enough said

25-Jul-14
"bla,bla,bla,bla. This comes up every year, Yes WY has the right to do it, enough said"

Translation: I know it's bullshit but it benefits me so there.

25-Jul-14
X2^^^^^^^

25-Jul-14
arctichill,

very well said and I for one totally agree. crazy to see how many piss and moan because ANY state they don't live in has rules that benefit the residents of that state, and do not necessarily benefit a NR.

yes, it has been upheld countless times by the high court. states have full rights to TOTALLY manage the wildlife within their borders.

25-Jul-14
No one disputes that Wy has a right to do it. What is disputed is "is it right?"

The pulling of federal funds to the state and closing off federal land to hunting until it is corrected is fully within the law as well.

25-Jul-14
good luck with that......................

25-Jul-14
I am proud of myself for staying out of this for so long ;-)

With that said Wyoming is not "managing" Jack Squat not allowing NR to hunt big game within the wilderness boundaries.

Just stop making up all the BS excuses to justify the handout to the outfitters. Their lobby did a great job and it hugely benefits their pocketbook as well as the resident hunters. The only people it hurts is us non resident DIY hunters. And there are plenty of other areas open to us in WY.

Only about 6 weeks and you guy will all be busy hunting and then we will revisit it again in January when folks start getting their applications ready ;/)

25-Jul-14
just to be clear, I am not suggesting they are being any where near truthful in their labeling this law as meant to "protect" NR's. I think it is exactly what it has been referred to which is "hand out to outfitters"

25-Jul-14
hunted medican bow in 1993 hiked all over for two weeks no problems. local outfitter in town told me some good places to try. so I went the other way. met a conservation officer on foot he checked me out. and went on his way. think he was after bigger fish.

25-Jul-14
Seems like it would be possible to start your own outfitter business in Wyoming that only caters to DIY non-residents/bowsiters. If you got a group of guys together that were willing to split the annual costs associated with maintaining the outfitter business you could hunt for a fraction of the cost of hiring an outfitter.

25-Jul-14
I have heard insurance alone to hunt in National forest is between $1,500 & $2,000 per year for outfitter. At least that is what I was told in AZ.

I bet you could write off a lot of your expenses if you were a guide too? Equip, gas, supplies, truck etc.

If 15-20 bowsiters pitched in $100 a piece and formed an LLC, you could maybe do it? Write off all your hunt expenses also.

If you can't beat'm.... join'm.

25-Jul-14
Seems like it would be possible to start your own outfitter business in Wyoming that only caters to DIY non-residents/bowsiters. If you got a group of guys together that were willing to split the annual costs associated with maintaining the outfitter business you could hunt for a fraction of the cost of hiring an outfitter.

25-Jul-14
Still a great place to hunt!

If you draw a general tag you can bow hunt (with an additional purchase of a archery stamp) for better than 2 weeks. If unsuccessful you can return with the same general tag and hunt the rifle season! You just have to find the public land locations that are not designated as wilderness. My brother guided in WY for 11 years and would not join the outfitters & guides organization because it was they who had him excluded. The few times he drew a tag his boss had to guide him to be legal. I agree it's a head scratcher! Still.. I have never seen more different critters on a single day in the field than in MT. and WY.

LaGriz

25-Jul-14
"If 15-20 bowsiters pitched in $100 a piece and formed an LLC, you could maybe do it? Write off all your hunt expenses also."

I'm in. I have 15 sheep points and max deer. I'd like to have as many options available as possible.

25-Jul-14
The Non res guys that book with a guide would also book if this law wasn't in place I assume WY had to give the outfitters something so they gave them this bogus law ,Im sure outfitters would rather have tags to sell . !! Im not saying wilderness is any better , Heck I find plenty of good bulls way outside the wilderness .

In Iowa no outfitters Lic is needed reason I was told so they wouldn't have to cater to the outfitters asking for tags !!!

25-Jul-14
"The pulling of federal funds to the state and closing off federal land to hunting until it is corrected is fully within the law as well."

Hmmm... Now that wouldn't be a giant can of worms... Sounds like a plan straight out of the Obama play book

25-Jul-14
"Im sure outfitters would rather have tags to sell"

Shhhh... That's what they did here in CO, taking the tags out of the regular guy drawing pool and giving them to the outfitters/brokers to sell. My local State Representative told me there was no evidence they were being brokered on the open market. I asked him if he knew how to do a Google search for "Colorado landowner vouchers for sale".

25-Jul-14
Gil... just have to tell em the elk aren't signed up for healthcare, stand back and watch....

25-Jul-14
City... who said you were hunting? Just go hiking... and carry your bow for self defense.

I used to be pissed about the bull$h1t... until a friend moved to Jackson. So now I can hunt wilderness as long as he is with me. Never mind he is half my age, only has a few years experience in ANY western terrain, and I taught him everything he knows about elk hunting, riding horses, camping in the high country etc etc. Won't it be funny when I have to save his life one day while he is "guiding" me. lmao

Forget the wind City..... and the hot air, just HUNT. :-)

26-Jul-14
Years ago there was a nonresident that had a wilderness tag it was set up told the Game and Fish that he was hunting in the Wilderness. Wardens showed up and gave him a ticket. Went to see the judge and paid his fine. That when he started his suit But before He could get a ruling that state drooped all the charges. So no harm no foul. I gave $50 for his legal fees. And several other hunters also gave money

26-Jul-14
Dan, if he paid his fine did they refund his money? I never heard of that, since paying a fine means you plead guilty to the offense.

26-Jul-14

Jaquomo's Link
Here's the link to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling on the challenge to the WY wilderness guide statute, the resident vs. nonresident fee discrepancy, and the nonresident license quota. The case was brought by a client of US Outfitters, with USO presumably helping with the (very) expensive legal fees to take this as far as they did in appealing the lower court's rulings. The Court also references a similar case from Montana where the Supreme Court ruled in a similar way.

Anyone who doesn't understand why this is the way it is, and why it's not going to change (nonresident fee discrepancy and license quota) needs to read this entire ruling and series of explanations from the Tenth.

The Tenth's conclusion:

III. Conclusion We hold that Schutz has not suffered an injury sufficiently concrete to create a case or controversy relating to the Guide Statute. As for the Fee and Quota Statutes, the district court correctly ruled that they do not violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. Finally, congressional enactment of HB 1268, Section 6063 makes moot Schutz's Article I, Section 8 claim. We therefore affirm the judgment of the district court.

26-Jul-14
For all those who want to have a say in Wyoming rules, how many of you are a member of their state bowhunting organization? While you are all fantasizing about absurdly ridiculous, nonsense-boycott's, and make-believe LLC's and planning your future court battles, there exists an organization who has made their primary responsibility to be a voice for bowhunters in Wyoming. I browsed their website and found no requirement that one must be a resident of Wyoming to join. For $25 dollars you can help support an organization that might listen to and support you with some of your concerns. Try it for a year. If it doesn't work, you're only out $25.

Their website has a section entitled "Why Join B.O.W.?" Here's what they have to say:

Why Join B.O.W.

Many times the question has been asked, “Why should I belong to Bowhunters of Wyoming (B.O.W.)”, or “What will the organization B.O.W. do for me?” These are valid questions and ones which deserve good answers to anyone who might be considering spending some time and money to participate in the sport of bowhunting here in Wyoming.

First and foremost B.O.W.’s purpose is to promote the enjoyment and betterment of the sport of bowhunting. We believe this can only be accomplished by the sincere effort of those who participate. To answer what B.O.W. will do, let’s have a look at what B.O.W. has done.

B.O.W. speaks for you with the State Legislature and the Game and Fish Department. We have sponsored Legislation to 1) do away with the four separate archery licenses, we now buy only one. 2) allow bird hunting including trophy with a bow. 3) provide pre-season archery hunting (at one point we had lost them), and 4) elevate the Black Bear to trophy game status and take the bear tag off the elk license. Additionally, B.O.W. helped convince the governor to veto a bill which would have allowed the use of muzzle loaders during archery pre-seasons.

Working with the Game and Fish Department, we have promoted 1) longer seasons (15 to 30 days in most areas, where it was originally 10 days), 2) some archery only licenses, which allows you to hunt longer, and 3) adjust season dates so that all species don’t have to be hunted in the same time frame.

During the past several years B.O.W. has donated money to the Game and Fish Department for different projects including windmill repair, spring developments, whitetail poaching decoy, goose nesting structures, pitting of elk pastures, habitat burning projects, and more.

B.O.W. provided the initial funding and support to bring the International Bowhunter Education Program (I.B.E.P.) to Wyoming. We are currently working with the Game & Fish Department to make the I.B.E.P. program mandatory for anyone bowhunting in Wyoming.

We are the only organization in the state that keeps big game records and have published the first record book (two editions) for Wyoming Bowhunters. B.O.W. members have grouped together and taken on six Adopt-A-Highway program areas across the state.

Communication between bowhunters is provided through our newsletter, which is published quarterly. Anytime other important issues come up, postcards or letters are sent to all members to inform them of the issues and where to make their comments. With our Affiliate Club Membership, this is another way to keep more bowhunters informed of the issues through their local clubs and also provides another avenue for local club liability insurance.

Winter banquets, summer jamborees, and meetings give members an opportunity to socialize and discuss concerns pertaining to bowhunting. Each year we have big game awards, a photo contest, a guest speaker, manufacturer booths, and much more at our winter meeting. The summer jamboree is family oriented and provides fun for all ages with outdoor animal rounds, fun shoots, contests, and refreshments.

Next time you hear these questions, why not ask, “Do you really enjoy bowhunting? Especially in Wyoming? Are you anxious to go hunting in those early archery seasons? Know who represents the bowhunter’s voice in Wyoming?” Bowhunters of Wyoming is a respected organization dedicated to the promotion and education of bowhunting and bowhunters, and to wildlife conservation. Support an organization that supports YOU! There is still a lot to do!

We hope we have provided you with answers to some of your questions. We realize there is always room for improvement and that comes about through your participation. If you would like more information about BOWHUNTERS OF WYOMING, you can contact our Secretary/Treasurer at the address listed below.

When you become a member of B.O.W., you gain an active interest in supporting bowhunting and bowhunting laws by receiving B.O.W. voting rights, a quarterly newsletter delivered to your residence, window decal, and a coupon for one year of Bowhunter Magazine for a reduced rate.

CONSIDER YOUR BOWHUNTING FUTURE………

26-Jul-14
Jesse, you make an excellent point. I do make it a point to search out and join the state bowhunting organization where I have drawn a tag for the year to show support. I need to look towrds the future as I plan to spend quite a bit of time in WY and CO and keep those memberships up all the time.

26-Jul-14
Arctic... all that and no mention of the wilderness law. What does that have to do with this thread?

Do like Jaquomo.... go to Laramie and hire a cute resident to hold your hand while you hunt the wilderness areas. lmao

26-Jul-14
Good post Arctic.....

I wonder how many guys reading this spend more on a merino shirt in a year than supporting the organizations that speak for sportsmen?

26-Jul-14
I agree with joining the state Bowhunter Org. I try to join in every state I hunt in. With that said Like Mule said "there is no mention of the wilderness/Guide law.

The law is clearly a hand out to outfitters. If I was a Wy resident I wouldnt want to see the law changed either.

26-Jul-14
I'm sure B.O.W. is well aware that that subject is a waste of their time.

26-Jul-14
My personal favorite will always be AK brown/griz/goat,sheep NR guided law. A NR can guide a hunter to kill a brown bear but cannot do it himself!

26-Jul-14
Don I think that's a little different. There is PLENTY of elk hunting opportunity for anyone who wants to do it on their own. But imagine if we were all allowed to hunt browns, Dall's and goats on our own with OTC licenses or ones as easy to get as most elk tags. It would have a huge impact on the populations. I bet you me and everyone we know would be up there in a flash.

26-Jul-14
Arctichill,, Do you know the B.O.W official stand is on this thread and have they come out apposing this reg to the Wyoming Dow?

Ed

26-Jul-14
I support B.O.W but this isn't in there best interest I would think since 99.9 are residents of WY .

26-Jul-14
Mule Power,

As far as I can tell, this thread is about NR's wanting to see a legislative change. B.O.W.'s mission statement doesn't have to directly mention the exact issue we are discussing in order to earn relevance in the thread. Many on here see a problem with the wilderness rule in Wyoming. I am simply attempting to offer a suggestion that I believe is more realistic and might be more effective than some ideas which have been mentioned previously.

Teeton,

I have no idea what B.O.W.'s stance on this issue is, or if they even have a formal stance? I know nothing about this org except what I read on their website. Like Mule Power, I didn't find any mention of the outfitter's wilderness law. Regardless of their position, it could likely be influenced by a majority of their members which brings me to cityhunter's comment.

cityhunter,

I would also assume that the majority of B.O.W. members are residents of Wyoming. With that said, their website mentions a membership base of 350+. To me that indicates that if a mere 400 NR's joined the org then NR's would represent the majority of this org's entire membership.

Obviously, NR's making up the majority of the membership does not mean that the org will automatically cater to the desires of NR's at the detriment of Wyoming residents. Even so, if enough NR's support this organization I would think that the investment would earn them a voice in Wyoming that is far more powerful and influential than NR DIY hunters trying to make legislative changes by doing it themselves.

To all who want to see this rule changed,

The self-proclaimed purpose of B.O.W. is, "First and foremost B.O.W.’s purpose is to promote the enjoyment and betterment of the sport of bowhunting. We believe this can only be accomplished by the sincere effort of those who participate."

There you have it. Don't just send in the $25 and hope for the best. Get involved to whatever extent you are able. Worst case scenario, you'll probably make some new friends who are Wyoming residents, avid bowhunters and would love to accompany you on a future wilderness adventure.

27-Jul-14
Jesse u are correct even if the B O W cannot help with this issue, one should still support them as a NR bow hunter in WY.

29-Jul-14
I should have the right to get lost and hurt anywhere I please on public land ;-)

29-Jul-14
For those wanting B.O.W. 's stance on this I can offer what our response has been in the past. We did a survey of our members (both resident and non-resident)and the majority felt the law was unjust to non-residents. This issue comes up every two years (general session years of our legislature) in the Wyoming legislature with a bill being drafted up to do away with it and the Wyoming Guides and Outfitters Association (very powerful lobby)gets it shut down pretty quickly. B.O.W. has supported and lobbied in the past to get the law changed but to no avail. Do not think for a minute that because you are a non-resident that we aren't fighting for you. Thanks. Jeff Capron Past President and current board member of Bowhunters of Wyoming

29-Jul-14
Great information Jeff!!! Would BOW welcome a few hundred non resident members or would it be more of a burden?

Thanks

29-Jul-14
I've supported BOW by way of the raffles, but I am now the newest member. Thanks for representing us bowhunters.

29-Jul-14
The Wyoming Tourism Board has tried repeatedly to repeal this stupid law that's just welfare for outfitters. The problem is that every time it comes up the outfitters in Jackson whine an complain and somehow they get their way. I think other states should reciprocate, and hunters should boycott Wyoming until this is changed.

I have no problem with outfitters providing a service to those who want it, but I'm completely against outfitter preferences for licensing (like in NM) and against guide requirements.

29-Jul-14
Archery95 just how does this law benefit the mom and pop convience store? Or the local hotels etc....

Maybe Mn should pass a law that all non residents should have a guide when fishing Mille Lacs, Rainy, Lake of the woods, Leach etc. After all its in there best interest to keep them safe on these bigger bodies of water.

In my younger years I guided plenty of people from Ia on Ottertail lake. After a day with me they knew how to fish the lake on there own. But they had the choice to learn it on there own as well.

29-Jul-14

RYAN's Link
Archery95 I'm pretty sure not many hunters would be upset if Iowa limited 0.8% of its land to people with guides. However Wyoming is 42.3% owned by the Federal Government.....totally different situation.

My major problem with this issue is that it allows outfitters to not have to compete with the DIY hunters which allows them to charge crazy prices to hunt on land that is Federally owned. The average cost from the 10 outfitters I looked up was between 4500-7500 dollars for 5-7 days hunts. Those types of prices cut a lot of people out of the picture which is not good for hunting overall.

29-Jul-14

RYAN's Link
Do you like these numbers better? Wyoming wilderness=3,111,232 acres that non-residents can not hunt, yet they pay for a majority of their upkeep. Iowa wilderness=0 acres.

29-Jul-14

RYAN's Link

29-Jul-14
Its not, the vast majority is blm, national grasslands and other state and local tracts. Very little is wilderness except remote mountain areas. The biggest limitation on hunting are local ranchers who landlock and surround public tracts and deny access. You can't cross on the "corners" either. All of the public land is open to hunting but you can't get there in many areas. This issue is much about nothing to quote some famous English guy. In Illinois it seems everybody bashes outfitters because they are convenient targets. A lot of the best people on bow site are outfitters if you reflect on it. Take a moment before you insult people trying to make a living just like you. Its more of the fox and the sour grapes.

29-Jul-14
archery 95 43% federal land not 43% designated wilderness

30-Jul-14
Archery... it wouldn't put anyone out of business. The majority of outfitters aren't in designated wilderness... nor are the outfitters in all of the other states that don't have such a law. People don't hire a wilderness outfitter just to hunt there because they can't do it on their own.

And... to answer the 2nd question: Because the residents don't all give a hoot about outfitters, are generally nice people, and many have friends from out of state and/or from out of state themselves. The residents I know think the law is hogwash.

30-Jul-14
"Wyoming wilderness=3,111,232 acres that non-residents can not hunt" or about 5% of the state. The people that are against this law need to forget about it being Federal land, That fact has absolutely no bearing on anything.

30-Jul-14
It does have bearing on hunting by non-residents. It's a stupid law that no other state has (guide requirement for wilderness areas), and it's ONLY there to protect the outfitting industry. That's a fact.

A lot of the land in WY that holds sheep and goats is wilderness, and it also holds elk and deer. So the outfitters control a lot of the sheep and goat hunting in Wyoming. That's one reason I apply in 7 states for those licenses, but NOT in Wyoming. I refuse to play their stupid game.

Boycott the state...that will get them to act and abolish that welfare.

What I'd love to see is Colorado limit non-residents to 10% of the tags (or less) like everyone else does.

30-Jul-14

arctichill's Link
xring,

"Boycott the state...that will get them to act and abolish that welfare."

Good luck with that boycott. Are you envisioning a day when Wyoming Fish and Game is scratching their heads after the draw saying, "What ever are we going to do with all of these left over NR tags that no one applied for?"

Unless that day comes (of course it never...NEVER EVER will) nobody cares if you Boycott Wyoming. The only person on the planet affected by your boycott is you. If it makes you feel better about things then I guess it's a great tactic to use to cope with your dissatisfaction of Wyoming rules.

WYelkhunter,

"The people that are against this law need to forget about it being Federal land, That fact has absolutely no bearing on anything."

100% SPOT ON! For those who do not understand the Pubic Trust Doctrine, the attached link is to a Bowsite discussion from back in 2011. In the discussion, Randy Newberg (Big Fin) provides an excellent and comprehensive "Cliff Note's" version of the Public Trust Doctrine. I strongly suggest any who continue to argue this Federal land "card" read this post by one of this Country's most well respected sportsmen.

31-Jul-14
Arctichill, You can say that it doesn't matter that it's Federal land, but it does.

"As of March 2012, out of the 2.27 billion acres in the country, about 28% of the total was owned by the Federal government according to the Interior Department.[2] The United States Supreme Court has upheld the broad powers of the federal government to deal with federal lands, for example having unanimously held in Kleppe v. New Mexico[3] that "the complete power that Congress has over federal lands under this clause necessarily includes the power to regulate and protect wildlife living there, state law notwithstanding".[1]

If a federal law was passed that said that states could not require the use of an outfitter on federal land, then that law would trump any state law. If the federal government wanted to shut down all hunting on federal grounds-- they could do that as well. While I would not like to see the federal government get involved in managing wildlife in individual states, I would like to remind you that Wyoming does not ultimately have the last say in what happens on Federal lands within their state boundaries. States are not allowed to do whatever they want on federal land, they are allowed to do what the Federal government permits them to do, in this case the federal government permits them to manage the lands within the wilderness boundaries.

I love Big Fins views and show, but his Public Trust Doctrine only applies to Wyoming's ability to manage their residents and state's lands without oversight from the federal government. If push came to shove ( which it never will) the federal government could easily make this law go away on federal lands....will they?...no.

I think what really stinks is that Wyoming hides behind this excuse that its for the safety of hunters and yet they permit hikers, fisherman, etc to go unattended throughout the wilderness. If you want to create a benefit for residents and outfitters, just say so. Don't hide behind this fictitious cause for safety...its bologna. Now why are guys so passionate about this, because they love to hunt on their own in the most beautiful raw places this country has to offer and they don't want to have to pay thousands of dollars for a chaperone.

I will be leaving in 4 weeks to head to your beautiful state of New Mexico to chase elk and I will be hunting in a wilderness area....after ten days I will head up to Colorado and hunt in another wilderness area. Do I need to hire an outfitter in these two states....nope! Do I wish that I was already there instead of arguing about a law that probably won't affect me...Yep!

31-Jul-14
Good post xring.

I also don't apply for sheep/goat in WY because of the rule.

I see your point(s) arctichill, but it still doesn't make it right.

Yes, it's pretty clear that WY can do this and get away with it. It's pretty clear that a NR boycott of WY would never happen. It's pretty clear that there is little incentive for the people who have the ability to change this, to actually change this.

That doesn't mean that it's a not a stupid law that ought to be changed (along with AK's).

And I don't buy the "well if we let every Tom, Dick, and Harry in there, think of what that'd do for things like the Dall..."

Nonsense. They'd just have to be managed just like we manage every other animal in every other state: with proper limits on tags/seasons.

31-Jul-14
I think WY should change the law to read a guide must be used for all non-residents to hunt Elk, Moose, Bear, Mtn Goat and sheep. That would fix the problem of the dumb law and only bring high income money spenders to the state. ;)

31-Jul-14
The law should be changed IMO. (Edit: not changed to wyelkhunter's suggestion that snuck in before this post.)I believe the biggest mistake being made here is in the assumption that Wyoming residents will not help change it.

The Federal Land deal has been argued to death here on Bowsite, in front of the Supreme Court and everywhere in between.

I'm going to do my best to end my contribution to this discussion here.

PS- Ryan, sounds like you've got an awesome autumn lined up. I'll be chasing elk in 16b during 3rd season. Wish you tons of luck. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

31-Jul-14
heck I found goats that aren't on wilderness !!

• Sitka Gear