scentman 01-Sep-14
Mark Watkins 01-Sep-14
cityhunter 28-Oct-14
drycreek 28-Oct-14
nutritionist 29-Oct-14
27-Jul-14

cityhunter's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

This is my backyard test plot it was once planted in clover several years ago But the deer only eat it early on I sprayed on july 15 tore it up on the 23 planted seed july 24 , This plot is just for fun no soil test was done in years. I only applied some lime over the years. Its not for hunting just to grow some seed !!!

27-Jul-14

seed to be used this go around

27-Jul-14

27-Jul-14
seed was spread by hand then I rolled it over with chicken wire pulled by 4wheeler !

27-Jul-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
A little help never hurt !!!

27-Jul-14

This morning I looked out the back seen a doe smelling what seemed to be bare dirt !! I went out to see the seed planted just days ago is growing !!!

27-Jul-14
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!! Good stuff. Keep the pics coming over time.

FWIW, deer love fresh dirt too.

God Bless

27-Jul-14
Is this plot kinda like therapy for you when you can't work your plots in Iowa?!!!

The sprinkler pic reminds of one of my plots from last year!

27-Jul-14
Troy if it can grow in NY soil just think how good it will do on them black gold river bottom soil

27-Jul-14
The oats should be planted in the woods edges and shady areas and the brassicas in the areas with full sunlight.

Use some ammonium sulfate as a fertilizer source and you will be surprised how they will eat the premier kale in the winter greens, sooner than your use to.

I have deer destroying my premier kale (the secret to winter greens mix) now and it's still July. I'll also throw one more out there. Swiss chard deer will really hammer in June and July, and thats one brassica most never think of planting but is the hot, overlooked ingredient in beets and sweets.

28-Jul-14
thanks john are u ever passing by Iowa ?

29-Jul-14
Yeah, when someone gets me some land to shoot some video on. Hint hint. I use to travel to the quad cities all the time when i was working for the evil empire as a consultant. I now find less reasons to get that way and since my beloved plays on opening weekend of gun season in Iowa City, it looks like i won't be heading west for that either.

01-Aug-14
My plot started to emerge in 2 days after planting crazy .. I will post some pics 2 days ago had a flock of turkey about 15 going to town!!!! Never have I had turkey in the backyard like this ..

jOHN What kind of video u doing . I could use some ideas on my farm !!

01-Aug-14
Since i'm not sure any hunting videos will ever be allowed on the farm, i'm needing to find places to shoot videos for some myself and some friends who have hunting shows.

So far this year i've only been involved in " food plot throw and go" and couple other ditties to crack up the people in the office.

26-Aug-14

2 weeks

26-Aug-14

4 weeks looking good

26-Aug-14
Very nice!

City, Have you had any flooding issues at your Iowa farm? Looks like they have been getting hammered down there lately.

26-Aug-14
That's a cool back yard

30-Aug-14
Troy no spoke with local farmer he said my soybeans are doing great he predicts one of the best years in a long time !!!

01-Sep-14
I sold my tractor and tiller... going to have to re think that move... your enthusiasm has me dreaming of plots again.

01-Sep-14
Louis, are you for hire?!

Mark

28-Oct-14

turnips are doing good ! the forage oats are getting hit !

28-Oct-14
I planted some turnips with my wheat this year, and never having planted turnips before, I got waaaaayy too much turnip seed in with my wheat. Only bought three lb. of turnip seed and spread that out in several fairly large plots. All I can say is, I got lotsa turnips. Don't even know if " my " deer will eat them. I mowed one plot pretty low Sunday to give the wheat a little breathing room. Didn't know if that will work, more of a desperate move on my part. We'll see.

Your plot is looking good Louis ! Good luck in Iowa !

29-Oct-14
Turnips were where all the food plot craze started back in the late 80's. Turnips produce almost as much digestible nutrients for the tops as the roots. The deer will love them come January and February.

Turnips are great but people overlook the American purple top rutabaga. I'll post a pic when I get some new one's taken. They look like a fatter/flatter version of the turnip but are higher in sugar and the deer will prefer them over turnips. The seed will cost one $3-5 an acre more than turnip but it's well worth it. They require more like 80-100 days of growth verses 60 for the turnips.

• Sitka Gear