Hammer 05-Aug-14
x-man 05-Aug-14
idahoghost 05-Aug-14
sureshot 05-Aug-14
Hammer 05-Aug-14
27-Jul-14
What's the best cover scent out there?

27-Jul-14
The best scent is NO scent. But that's impossible.

Here's what I do. I'm primarily a whitetail deer hunter that hunts in typical midwestern farm type woodlots that consist mainly of oak/hickory/maple. I keep all of my hunting outerware (boots included) in a sealable Rubbermaid tub, in which I keep a cachet bag of dried, crushed, hardwood leaves. When you open the tub it and everything in it smells like an October woods.

Works for me.

27-Jul-14
No such thing as cover scent.

27-Jul-14
My go to would be a good wash in baking soda and line dry my clothes. ......air boots out well.....spray bottom of boots with fox urine.....seems to work well in general.

27-Jul-14
This - "No such thing as cover scent."

Can't hide one scent with another from a deer. They simply smell both.

27-Jul-14
I agree Steve. But if you have your scent reduced as much as possible and it's combined with a scent that simply smells like the woods that you're in, then when they do smell you they may think that you're 200 yards away and not the 40 or 50 that you actually are.

What you DON'T want to use is any kind of scent that draws attention. The last thing you want is to have a deer LOOKING for something when it comes into range. The only exception to this may be a sex scent during the rut, but with the bow I've even gotten away from that. A deer that I'm going to shoot an arrow at I want to be as relaxed and as unalerted as possible.

27-Jul-14
Yes there is such a thing as "cover scent". It's called 'Cover Up' - about the best you can do is mask your own scent. The best method is to put in in a spray bottle and use it as a wind indicator instead of powder. That way some of that stuff drifts along with your own.

www.coveruphunting.com

27-Jul-14
Good advice WW. You can take steps to lessen the perceived threat to the animal. Buying a thing called "cover up" thinking it will hide you is not one of them.

28-Jul-14
We humans have not even an inkling of how a deer can detect scent. I mean we are not capable of imagining it.

That said, I've many times while hunting had deer that must have gotten wind of me but yet they didn't react in panic or alarm. They may have smelled me but all I can conclude is that they DIDN'T CARE. Much of that I think can be attributed to the CONTEXT of when and where they scented me.

Like I mentioned, I hunt primarily in midwest farm type habitat where deer simply cannot go through a day without smelling humans in one way or another. So my theory is that while they do indeed smell us they also have so much past experience with it that it may be hard for them to tell when it's a threat and when it's not.

I've been bowhunting in Illinois for 37 years, and when I first started it was RARE that we saw many other bowhunters in the woods. Most of the deer hunting didn't take place until gun season in November. Back then if a deer winded us in the woods it was GONE, and it let you know about it too. IMO that's changed over the years, as the woods are now full of bowhunters from October 1st on. The deer may have very well become used to smelling humans in the woods because between people scouting, hanging stands, checking cameras and hunting they can't help but smell our presence.

I ground hunt all the time now(stillhunt/stalk) and I've been scentbusted (or at least had a deer run off, snort/blow, react with alarm, etc.)by deer that were within range of my vision or hearing less than a 1/2 dozen times in the past 14 years that has led me to this conclusion. Yes, I play the wind, I know my hunting areas VERY well in terms or how the thermals work and where the scent "pools" are, and I do my level best to reduce my scent as much as possible, but I'm still not scent free. Not even close.

28-Jul-14
I don't use scent at all. If you are down wind, you will be fine. If you are up wind, say good bye to that deer, unless it is really young and hasn't learned human scent. I have gone in the wood with scent lok suit, took my time as to not sweat and used doe in heat all around my stand.. wind blows the wrong way and it's over. But, completely opposite.. walked into the early season woods, sweating buckets from the humidity and just climbed in to hunt.. and deer coming from up wind had no clue I was there. Stick you face in the wind and go to it.

28-Jul-14
Try some nose jammer, it works. For six dollars you can't go wrong.

28-Jul-14
I too think cover scents do not work. A deer nose is many, many time more sensitive than ours. Walk in to an Italian restaurant and take a whiff. In one breath you can smell garlic oregano and maybe the hostess' perfume. Think what a deer can smell. He smells you AND the fox/skunk/apple/pine "cover scent". Just my 2 cents. Old timer told me years ago, you may fool a deer's ears. You may fool a deer's eyes. You will never fool a deer's nose.

28-Jul-14
Clearly deer smell very well and its basically impossible to have them not smell you.....however, your stink can be overcompensated with strong odors....fox/coon urine, tarsal, doe in estrus, and some of the newer nosejammer type stuff smell very strong and in my experience the deer smell the strong odors most and key in on them.

That being said, nothing is a sure bet and you will still get winded if conditions are not favorable and a smart deer walks by.....that just part of hunting....nothing works all the time!

28-Jul-14
I believe cover scents work to the same point as showering with all that no scent crap that everyone thinks makes them smell invisible. I have had the best results with fresh earth, its a common odor found everywhere and it doesn't alarm the animals. I use the stuff sold by a trapping supply company. I just spray the tree in a couple of spots once I get up to the spot I intend to hunt. I haven't been busted in four or five years, maybe longer.

28-Jul-14
Believe me, if you and your hunting buddy are sharing a small tent in the backcountry and you both fart you will smell both of them separately. I can't say deer enjoy this same ability but it stands to reason they do.

28-Jul-14
So archery95 if a buck is trailing a hot doe he won't be able to smell me cuz he can't tell the difference between the to?

28-Jul-14
Check the web for speciality oils like APPLE used to make candles and soap it is cheap a works well seems even deer that have never seen an apple tree like it been using it for years!

28-Jul-14
I guess I am that stupid! If you think he cant tell the difference between apple, skunk, pine, fox, then you must be also! Aren't those natural scents? Come on man you actually think that deer cant tell the difference between those scents and human scent? Maybe they could or couldn't tell the difference between natural brush smoke or that of a cigarette but I bet they know there is a difference. If I could tell they could probably tell. Not that deer know what a cigarette is. The point that they were trying to say is that a deer can smell many different scents at once. I can't smell like a deer so I don't know for sure but I would lean more on the deer side they have a pretty amazing nose!

Just like camo everyone wears it right? Do you actually know what they can see? People use camo but could probably bow hunt in full blaze orange also.

28-Jul-14
Archery95,

I have never met or corresponded with Chad429. However, what if he is a 17 year old that just got hooked on bowhunted. He is young, enthusiastic, and wants to learn as much as he can....so he wants to ask a lot of questions. You may feel that some of his questions are easy to figure out, but what purpose does it serve, to call someone stupid over a simple difference of opinion?

28-Jul-14
I am new to this site but not new to bow hunting. Been doing it for 20 plus years wasn't looking to start a fight on here just think that a deer's nose is a little more advance then some people I guess. Just thought it was interesting that someone thought a deer can't tell the difference between multiple scents at once.

I've used cover scents in the past and don't really use them any more. just another thing to carry in the woods. I do every thing in my power to keep clean, shower before every sit don't travel with my hunting close on keep every thing in air tight containers and get dressed at the spot that I am hunting. That has always worked for me and I rarely get winded any more.

28-Jul-14
I agree you can cover up your scent to certain point but not completely.

I also agree that deer have Danger scents and safe scents but I wouldn't say its just 2 smells they smell. I would say they smell lots of smells that they register as good or bad just humans can.

Hey archery95 thanks for the warm welcome! lol! its all good bud!

28-Jul-14
"Now whether her scent outweighed my scent and he didn't smell me or that he did smell me also but didn't care I don't know. IMO the doe's scent covered my scent up."

So which is it - "I don't know" or "IMO?

You claim they work - how about proof with something other than anecdotes that you admit demonstrate nothing.

28-Jul-14
Dogs have proven they do not work. Scientists believe deer smell as well or better than dogs. Proof enough for me.

28-Jul-14
Guess I gonna dive in here too. I don't believe in cover scents of any kind. You can try all day. But you will never fool a deers nose. A blood hound can process 7 different smells at one time from what I have been told. Is it true. I really don't know. But what I do know is you can buy all the gadgets you want to fool a deer's nose and it won't happen. One thing I do believe in is spraying the soles of my rubber boots with scent killer every time I step into the woods.

28-Jul-14
Seems to me that the most important question isn't whether cover scents work but if they cause any harm? If they don't cause any harm then there should be no problem using them. If they only work 5% of the time, or in one specific instance with one specific deer then they were likely worth doing. If you disregard basic scent management practices because you think cover scents will make up for it then you are going to be in trouble.

As for the Scent Killer killing your scent, I find that hard to believe. Again, does it do any harm? In some instances I think that it could. I opened up a bottle of Scent Killer one time and found it full of black hold. Pretty sure that has an unnatural scent that deer were going to be able to pick up on. What about the plastic bottle it is kept in? Do we really know that some of the chemicals in the plastic do not leach into the liquid in levels that the deer may be able to smell? I don't know but I do worry about it.

30-Jul-14
Archery95, please go back to Archery Talk. Buy some chemical formula apple cover scent. Pour it on some apples and see if the deer eat them. In my FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE they won't.

30-Jul-14
Nose jammer has worked for me. I set up a stand upwind of where deer were coming from on purpose to see if jammer would work. Had a mature doe walk out 40 yards from where I was and she didn't spook at all and I hunt public land. I think cover scents work to the extent of watering down your scent and to the deer they may smell it but it doesn't seem to be a s strong. I have also had good success with deer herd on a stick. Nose jammer is only six bucks for a bottle so give it a try and see for yourself , you'll be amazed at how effective it is, certainly didn't hurt.

30-Jul-14
Nose jammer has worked for me. I set up a stand upwind of where deer were coming from on purpose to see if jammer would work. Had a mature doe walk out 40 yards from where I was and she didn't spook at all and I hunt public land. I think cover scents work to the extent of watering down your scent and to the deer they may smell it but it doesn't seem to be a s strong. I have also had good success with deer herd on a stick. Nose jammer is only six bucks for a bottle so give it a try and see for yourself , you'll be amazed at how effective it is, certainly didn't hurt.

30-Jul-14
I can tell the difference between cigarette smoke and brush burning. A deer certainly can tell....(says the next guy to be labeled a stupid moron)

30-Jul-14
Archery95

No pissing match here, but for the record, if I was downwind of your burning brushpile, and you lit a cig, I would smell it. Can't see really well, can't hear worth a damn, but MY NOSE KNOWS ! And I'm quite sure deer can smell much better than I. That said, I do believe that one can dillute their smell to the point that deer are fooled into thinking you are not close enough to be a threat. Much as Woods described.

31-Jul-14
Archery95. Are such an ass in real life or only behind a keyboard? Let me guess...you were born in 1995 and know more than everyone. They way you come off here you are, as you called people, the stupid moron. Just because you say they something everyone has to believe you? You won't believe anything anyone else says, why should I believe you? IMO you have no clue what you are talking about.

Modern medical science can examine hearing and eyesight to determine how animals see/hear including humans. That is people with more intelligence than you. You keep comparing everything to your nose and eyes. Humans have evolved not to rely much on their senses. Animals survival depends on them. Doesn't a dog hear things that you can't? They know before you that someone is at your door. AND they are a house pet.

And your last post about the cigarette smoke PROVES my point. If you can't tell the difference between a burning cigarette, plastic, leaves or a tire, you do not have a nose.

31-Jul-14
"I don't think deer can tell the difference between coyote poop, fox poop or human poop."

archery95 - Ask a bear hunter who runs hounds what they do to their dogs if they run a deer, coon, coyote, or a fisher instead of a bear during bear training and hunting seasons. The hounds can definitely tell the difference in scents of an animal and over 95% of the time, they chase the correct one even with woods full of other animal scents.

I don't buy it at all that deer or other animals only have smell 2 scents as you said in a previous post.

31-Jul-14
At least now we know who is posting as TBM. :)

31-Jul-14
Back to the original question, I have no idea whether cover scents work or not, and if they do, to what extent. That said, I do use some.

After I put my clothes in a bag at night, I spray some pine scent on them. If an animal gets downwind, I know I've got problems whether I use cover scent or not. However, I figure there MAY be a chance that if an animal gets in tight, the cover scent MIGHT make a difference just long enough to get my shot off. As others have said, it might not work, but it can't hurt. I also wear a pine scent wafer around a belt loop, but that's more out of tradition and superstition than anything else.

I find it interesting, to say the least, that someone will post "It is no more than a guess by anyone what a deer can really smell. There is no way to prove it". Then makes statements such as "I don't believe", "I also believe", "I don't think", and "IMO". Not proof in any way mind you...nothing more than an opinion. But then that same individual calls others stupid and morons because they don't share that same opinion which he readily admits he can't prove! Ya gotta love the internet!

"They can't associate smells with what made them." They may not think to themselves "That smells like Joe Blow from Wisconsin", but they sure as hell know what smells they associate with danger and which ones they don't!

31-Jul-14
Hey guys its stupid here again! Just wanted to say a few more things about cover scents. Like I said in a previous post I used to use them and don't anymore heres why.

First I agree 100% with woods walker in that I do not like drawing the curiosity of the deer at all. I would much rather have him continue with what he is doing and not have to even think about smelling something that "could" be out of the norm for him. Less is more in my book.

Doing everything I can to keep clean and as unscented as possible has worked well for me. I also agree about the sexual attractant part in woods walkers post. I have shyed away from using them more and more, not to say that I don't use them from time to time just very little. I find that a lot of the mature does tend to get spooked when they come across my scent wicks or scent drag. That just comes back to having more relaxed deer i'd much rather have that doe come in relaxed rather than go on full alert after picking up that scent. The best attractant is the real thing find the does and the bucks will be there during the rut. Keep it simple.

I'm just putting out my opinion nothing else, i'm not knocking guys that do use cover scents, I've used them before. i'm not saying my way is right or wrong just telling you guys what works for me.

P.S. I'm really not stupid LOL!!

01-Aug-14
Chad, now you're talking about attractant scents rather than cover scents. Big difference.

01-Aug-14

01-Aug-14
Ya I know, I was just agreeing with a comment from one of the posts earlier on this thread is all.

01-Aug-14
I do put natural things from the area that I hunt in my clothes bags,but I do not use any commercial scent.Years ago I talked to Fred Bear when he was at Arrow head archery about cover scent.He brought up a bait hunt for black bear,a bear picked up a rotten salmon and walked into his scent stream and spooked,he thought if he could separate his scent from a rotten salmon,there was know way you could cover your scent.

01-Aug-14
Here's the thing guys. You can't, can't, can't "cover up " your scent from a deer's nose. If the wind is in your favor, you will not be detected. If the wind travels directly to the deer's nose, you will NOT get a shot in effective bow range. Maybe you can dilute your scent enough for gun range, but not bow range.

I have shot just as many deer in my stinky work clothes as in my clean camo. If the wind is right, don't matter how you stink. If the wind is wrong, don't matter how much you spend on scent products. It really IS that simple.

01-Aug-14
Yawn. Another religious debate.

I believe in this.

I don't believe in that.

No one really knows for sure.

Move along.

03-Aug-14
Final Step Cover Scents

04-Aug-14
You got that right Jaq!

05-Aug-14
x-man,

" If the wind travels directly to the deer's nose, you will NOT get a shot in effective bow range. Maybe you can dilute your scent enough for gun range, but not bow range."

I disagree in part. Sometimes you can. It depends on the deer and how bad you stink probably but I have seen deer come in or stay when the wind changed and was blowing my scent right in their face and either I didn't stink enough to matter or the deer didn't care. I have also seen the wind change and seconds later bye bye deer.

As to cover scent.....Hunter in a can is what I call it. It is no better than mechanic in a can most times. I do buy one thing though....I like the little wafers that smell like the dirt. Not sure if they work but I get some every once in a while. "Dirt in a can baby"

05-Aug-14
In a tree, sometimes what we think is down wind, is not. If you are high enough, your scent will travel over the deer. Lots of guys think their scent loc and/or cover scents are working in this situation, which is why I worded it as I did. "if it travels directly to the deers nose, you will get busted."

05-Aug-14
archery95,

I am not going to debate what or whatnot a deer can smell. "Dog don't even KNOW their names. They only know the sound of their name being called. I have a Brittany Spaniel. Her name is Brandy. If she is out running in the hay field, all I have to do is hollar her name and she comes running back to me. Now I could hollar Randy or Candy or Sandy in the same tone and she would STILL come running back to me. If I say "Brandy sit" she will sit. But she will also sit it I say "Randy shit" in the same tone. If you don't believe me try it if you have a dog"

But your statement regarding dogs not knowing their names is quite incorrect. You may want to check out the field trial world and watch dogs honoring other dogs. Your dog may not know it's name, but that does not apply to all dogs. Teaching a dog their name is very basic field trial work.

I hope you know more about deer than you do dog training.

05-Aug-14
It would not surprise me a bit if a Brittany Spaniel didn't know it's name:-)

As far as cover scents go, I agree with x-man. If you are on the ground and a buck comes directly downwind you are busted.

05-Aug-14
x-man,

I would agree on what hunters in a tree think is happening especially if the deer is 15 yards out. When you are 20 foot up and the deer is right under you the scent is probably being blown right over them. However I still partly disagree with you. No harm in doing so I hope?

Most of my hunting career has been from the ground in a pop-up or man made blind or stick blind though I have hunted from tree stands. On the ground I have watched deer that I was certain could smell me because the wind was in their face blowing over me and right to them. They would stand 30-50 yards out looking right at you. They may not walk up to 15 yards but they can be in bow range at times. I have killed deer from the ground when they were downwind of me. I have even seen them stomp their feet and bob their head and then throw it way up in the air with their nose pointing nearly straight up and still not run. They knew I was there and could not make out where I was at. If I moved a muscle off they went because I confirmed what they already suspected. Anyway....I always attributed it to "I must not stink enough today or that's a dumb deer." Now on the other hand I have seen them coming in and bust me in seconds when the wind changed and they bolted. I have always wondered and speculated in my mind what made one situation different than the other. I have even seen the same exact deer do different things on different days when they smelled me. A persons scent must change (get stronger or weaker) from day to day. Maybe a deer has the ability to tell by the scent how far away a human is by what they are smelling and maybe the ones who don't bolt are misjudging how close a hunter is to them. I am not sure but you can get a shot off sometimes.

The worst IMO is a very low wind that is like a breeze. IMO that's when I have struggled getting winded when it changes direction. If it is blowing harder it is not as big a deal providing they have not winded you before they get there.

Another observation that is probably bunk and certainly anecdotal. I think some guys carry a natural deer scent deterrent and other hunters have less of a deterrent.. What I mean is I have hunted with some guys and if the wind blows wrong even a little we never see squat or the deer nearby bolt instantly. Then there are a few guys I have hunted with that no matter how the wind was blowing we saw deer. They indicate they know we or I am there but they don't always bolt. I really believe some peoples scent is weaker naturally and the deer have a harder time picking it up or maybe they have a safe zone instinct thingy and based on how strong the scent is they can be fooled. I have always practiced good hygiene but even my wife has pointed out that after a hard days work I do not stink like a arm pit. Ever!. That is starting to change now for some reason. On the other hand my pops if he even moves has BO that is god awful and he always struggled getting winded if the wind changed direction. I think each persons scent effects how close a deer might get if downwind of them. Just my opinion.

I am sure the bashing will commence but it is what I believe. Had I not killed multiple deer dead down wind of me from the ground I wouldn't believe it either.

I am sure bunk will be called on me for this post but I bet some guys have also killed deer when the deer was down wind even when they were hunting on the ground.

• Sitka Gear