Contributors to this thread:
Tpb 28-Jul-14
nutritionist 28-Jul-14
Tpb 29-Jul-14
Knife2sharp 29-Jul-14
LINK 30-Jul-14
nutritionist 01-Aug-14
28-Jul-14
Thinking of mixing some alfalfa and soybeans in with my forage radishes for a fall mix, any thoughts?

28-Jul-14
You looking for a perennial or just some nitrogen fixation? Many think of alfalfa as a 3-4 year perennial crop but ON THE FARM, we put 40 acres of alfalfa in with 2 annual clovers and peas and oats as a cover crop. We will take off one crop next spring then take the green manure and nitrogen credits and plant soybeans or corn behind it.

In the central sands of wisconsin many potato farmers are also turning to alfalfa as a cover crop. University research shows 10-15% increase in production on corn after a rotation of alfalfa.

If one has higher pH ground and soil that is sandy. One might want to consider alfalfa over the clovers. Side note, if one is taking crp land out and putting into crop land, roundup ready alfalfa is one YEAR ONE option. I have had a few accounts do this exact thing this year.

29-Jul-14
I was thinking a perennial, valuable info. Thanks for the input, lots to learn!

29-Jul-14
Don't forget the aycerns.

30-Jul-14
Not sure what the weather is line in Conneticut but if your planting alfalfa for a perennial I'd get it in by the end of August or it likely won't make it through winter. I have mixed some in my fall plots as a pre freeze attractant but don't count on it surviving if its planted mid to late September or later .

01-Aug-14
Fall seeding of alfalfa's are becoming more popular for the larger farmers, as there is less weed pressure at establishment.

Here is a tip. If you are going to fall seed alfalfa, you want to choose a variety that doesn't go dormant as early. The winter hardy type alfalfas are the opposite of what you want to plant for alfalfa if your going to plant late august or early september.

Here is another tip...use INTX innoculated alfalfa or buy a pack of their PREVAIL innoculant to add to whatever alfalfa you bought. The innoculant isn't just organic, it's not just omri certified, it also contains my secret weapon for fast growing EVERYTHING....Azospirillum. "Azo" is a natural bacteria/growth promoter.

Yes, I try to use growth promoters on everything. I foliar feed everything and i aerate the soil everywhere. You will be amazed at what you see.

• Sitka Gear