patience2spare 30-Jul-14
Genesis 31-Jul-14
Bake 31-Jul-14
Nick Muche 31-Jul-14
Genesis 31-Jul-14
Fuzzy 31-Jul-14
Notnormal 01-Aug-14
29-Jul-14
Over the years I feel like a missed out on one or two instances where the conditions were such that I could have climbed down tree carefully and stalked a nice buck.

Anyone had a a successful hunt doing this?

29-Jul-14
I climb down in a nano second if I think I can do it! I shot a nice buck off the ground 3 seasons ago by doing this. The cover & wind are critical and I happened to be in a stand where they both allowed me the advantage...more often than not it's futile and I recognize it so I dont

29-Jul-14
I shot a nice buck last year after he came across a picked soybean field following the path of a group of does that preceeded him by 10-15 minutes. The does never came by me and I knew he would follow their trail. I climbed down from my ladder stand, which made it easy and fast, while the buck was still crossing the open field. I had good wind and a screen of brush/trees to hide behind while a I covered 60-70 yards to get in position on the trail I hoped the does had used and everything worked out. Lady luck was on my side for a change!

29-Jul-14
I've got a bad habit of "not risking" myself because of the rut and thinking it's just as good of chance he will chase to doe back around to me.......so far I'm 0 for 3 on that scenario.

I figured some big bucks have been taken this way and just wanting to glean any additional pitfalls I've never weighed

29-Jul-14
This is an interesting coincidence. Last week I was going over some old footage I have of Paul Schafer. We were hunting an archery only area along a river bottom. The other side of the river was legal gun hunting. It was late November and rifle season was open. Several deer, including a mature doe who was limping badly, came by the treestand at about 40 yds. It appeared she had a front leg blown off by a gunner. Schaf couldn't get a clean shot to do a mercy killing, so he put the tree between the doe and himself and climbed down the BACK side of the tree quietly out of eyesight. Then, he stalked up to "30 yards or so" and put a finishing arrow through her. After the tracking job we found she indeed had a leg blown off by a gun but it was from a previous year and was all healed up. This is just another example of the amazing things Paul Schafer used to do routinely and never gave it a second thought but it's all on film. bw

29-Jul-14
Barry- It is nice that you mention Paul but it is unfortunate that a lot of the younger guys don't know about him and his hunting skills. He was one of a kind.

29-Jul-14
I've been fortunate to hear several Shafer tales by your Montana brethren.....sounds like they broke the mold.

I couldn't imagine the case of "red belly" I'd suffer from a feat like that,much less scare everything in the woods in the process.

29-Jul-14
I usually shoot a deer or two from the ground each year but they are usually does. It would be very rare that I would attempt a climb down on a really big buck. I'm just not very good at stalking. When I scare a really big buck from the ground at close range they run REALLY fast and hard.

29-Jul-14
I guess the "horror" of watching a giant follow a doe into my setup while I wasn't in the stand has me buffaloed.....

I keep saying "the next time I'm gonna" but next time comes and I hesitate and lose.....

29-Jul-14
I have had several occasions where I saw a buck headed to a ravine across the pasture. I will vacate a tree as fast as I can when this happens to try to get ahead of the buck and be in his travel path. I think it is ridiculous to wait in a tree when I can be out making something happen. Here in Ks, a good buck can be miles away in a few hours if the right doe wanders by. The most memorable was a Nov. morning in 2004 I spotted a big buck covering ground quickly, about to enter a long ravine 1/4 mile east of me. I left my position and made a mad dash, running as quickly as I could to get in the bottom of the tree-choked ravine. 5 minutes later, he appeared, walking behind a cedar 30 yards in front of me at eye level. I drew my bow, thinking this was a sure thing about to happen. It never did, he either saw or winded me and simply walked straight up and out of the deep ravine by keeping the cedar between me and him.

29-Jul-14
Arrowed my first deer by climbing down from the tree and putting on a successful stalk. That was more than three decades ago....and hasn't happened again since.

29-Jul-14
I don't think I've ever climbed out of a stand and killed one but years ago in Kansas I was driving to a hunting spot and saw a great buck bedded with a doe in some CRP. I looked over the terrain and realized I could get up on them so I parked a couple hundred yards up the road and started back towards them. I snuck in to probably 10 yards and was waiting for them to stand up when they just bolted. I realized then that I had snuck too close. There was no need for me to get that close. I should have stopped at 20 or 30 yards and got ready for a shot. I blew it and learned a lesson that day.

29-Jul-14
Never hunted from a stand. I move on most of the deer I kill and have taken dozens of hunters up to them as well. Sitting and hoping is not an effective strategy for anyone who can do otherwise.

I will say that smaller people move quieter than large people and more so in and out of trees I would think. I also notice that smaller deer move quieter than larger deer as well.

I have shot a couple of fair deer over the years.

29-Jul-14
"Sitting and hoping is not an effective strategy for anyone who can do otherwise"

I concur,Sittin and shootin is far better.... :)I've been a treestand junky my whole life and just prefer to start every DEER hunt that way first.

29-Jul-14
OK, if it is working out for you, why did you ask?

29-Jul-14
I agree also and for the record I didn't ask!!

29-Jul-14
The better question is if you don't treestand hunt why answer?

My query is to the people who are in a tree and have the option to climb down and if it worked out for them.

29-Jul-14
Steve,

Sorry I tried to help. My point was yes, it is quite possible to move into position and kill a mature buck with a bow. I did not realize that point of origination was a big factor as logic indicates it is not.

And no, yours is was not the better question.

29-Jul-14
Richard,I know you can stalk whitetails this isn't that thread...:) I'm very simply and humbly wanting to know if other hunters out there wrestle with the dilemma of giving up shooting lanes/position from their treestand vs the chance of getting seen climbing down.

If I took your response of encouragement wrongly,I apologize.I need all the help I can get.

Maybe "stand" doesn't mean treestand to everyone so I may have muddle the thread up

Thanks for the reply

29-Jul-14
Steve,

Good luck to you and hope you give it a successful try soon.

29-Jul-14
Depends on the situation and how big he is. If I saw a Booner and I felt good about being able to stalk him I would definitely try it.

I tried one a few years ago in IL. About 10:00 I noticed a nice 10 pointer in the woods across the bean field tending a doe. I watched them for over an hour in that spot. Knowing he wouldn't leave her, and that we had some other family members coming back shortly to hunt more (they would walk right by there and spook them without knowing it) I gave it a try. He won that battle, the woods were thick and the only chance for a shot was to belly crawl over a little rise in the open field. Oh well, it was better than watching my dad or cousin run them off.

Typically I like to stay in my stand though. I've had too many times where I've gotten down for some reason and then watched a nice buck chase a doe right under my stand!

29-Jul-14
JTV,that's been one on my hang ups the last one was about 80 yards with a hot doe and I was worried about shooting lanes so I just sat him out (unsuccessfully)

29-Jul-14
Tried it once and it worked so badly I just lobbed a blunt point over the next one and it worked just as worst. Our deer don't take stalking very well. I did shoot a doe in the bed once and a couple off the ground but I was basically stationary and the deer moving. Good Lord willing I'm going to stalk a muly in the bed some day.

29-Jul-14
Genesis: With the "bombers" you shoot most years in Kansas just keep doing what you're doing! I don't see that "profile" you carry around each day sneaking up on a B&C buck:)

29-Jul-14
I've lost 4 pounds for the season this year....I'm stoked! :)

I feel better now that a bunch of people haven't been successful at doing it so maybe I will go after the next one,maybe I won't.

Thanks for all of the responses......

29-Jul-14
The first deer I ever arrowed was bedded.....it was also the last. Afraid I might be in the " large profile " category.

29-Jul-14
I've always said stalking was REAL hunting. Anybody can sit in a tree but few can close the deal by stalking. Fred Bear thought the same way.

29-Jul-14
This is sort of off topic but it is related.

Some people think that it takes more patience to sit in a tree all day than to stillhunt/stalk. I disagree.

I treestand hunted for almost 30 years before I developed the patience to stillhunt. In fact, it wasn't until I had developed the patience and more importantly the mental state of mind and discipline to sit in a tree for 12 hours that I became even remotely successful stalking/stillhunting. If you stalk/stillhunt because you can't sit still, then you aren't going to be very successful with either method.

29-Jul-14
Good point. I have screwed up quite a few stalks because I approached the animal too quickly. The last two times were on huge whitetails as well. One was close to 160" and the other 180"

29-Jul-14
Early season I got down and stalked a feeding buck in real thick canola. I wove my way through that tangled mess until I had him at 10 yards. It was then that I realized my strategic error in that the canola was so high only his neck stuck out - and try as I might there was no way to sneak an arrow in there. Lol

So I actually backed out, snuck back to my stand and continued to observe the buck from 80 yards out lol.

I did not shoot the buck that night.

29-Jul-14
Apauls......great story! Shooting lanes are a big concern for me in regards to climbing down

30-Jul-14
"Sitting and hoping is not an effective strategy for anyone who can do otherwise."

I can believe that for plains and mountain states. Totally disagree for most deer hunting regions east of the Mississippi. Besides, if one places and hunts their stands properly...it becomes "sitting an waiting" (for the opportunity that will present itself) versus "sitting and hoping".

30-Jul-14
I'd rather shoot 1 deer from the ground stalking than 10 deer sitting in a tree stand. To me is all about - The hunting experience of stalking, keep the wind right and your noise down - closing into bow range and making the shot! But as the saying goes, Each to their own!

30-Jul-14
This thread isn't about what's the better way,stalking vs treestanding .I've hunted a bunch of stuff stalking so I'm not asking about that,the question was regarding climbing down from your stand to do it.

If you don't hunt out of treestands then it's gonna be hard to rationalize what you risk by losing your position when climbing down

Anybody else climbed down and attempt to shoot one off the ground?

30-Jul-14
I treestand hunted for about 30 years, and there was only one time that I attempted to climb down and stalk. It was on a doe that I saw go right into a little gully that was about 40-50 yards from me and didn't come out. When I got down I knew immediately that it wasn't going to work out real well because in that particular place in the woods with that cover and terrain my view was completely different than what I could see from 15' up. I tried it anyway and she caught me first.

But truth be told, that was back before I knew what I was doing as far as stalking/stillhunting. Looking back on it what I'd failed to do (or didn't know how to do at that time) is CHANGE MY MINDSET from that of a "watch and wait" to that of a "act like there's a deer just past where I cannot see" approach. I still may have blown it but I would probably have gotten closer.....maybe!

Side note: What got me started on the stalk type hunting was when I had a treestand that I disovered after hunting it a few times in the morning was that I was better served to wait until I could see before I went in to it. One time I killed a deer on the way in.....and I was hooked. Over the course of the next 3 years I went from treestand hunting most of the time to rarely if ever.

It ain't easy, but boy oh boy, is it addictive!

30-Jul-14
"If you don't hunt out of treestands then it's gonna be hard to rationalize what you risk by losing your position when climbing down"

Exactly... which is one reason I do not understand how logic can dictate that point of origin (being in a stand) does not matter. Another being you have to be sure you won't be seen or make too much noise, etc. while getting out of said stand. This assumes of course we are talking a elevated stand (treestand).

30-Jul-14
So what have we said so far?

1. Consider understory and it's possibility that you won't have a clear shot

before climbing down as the vantage point will change dramatically

2. Leaving your treestand to setup on a trail that an estrus doe just walked down is a consideration and has more documented success so far than stalking a buck

30-Jul-14
Steve, Being impatient, I have tried it twice. Did not get close. Let's just say I am no Paul S. I think a more agile person might have pulled it off though as conditions were good, I.e. Proper terrain and wind noise and direction.

Ever since talking with you a few years back my hunts now actually begin when choosing a stand location. You taught me there is a lot more to stand hunting than just sitting. I now have more confidence in doing this than trying to get down and end up only educating the deer.

Again though, I could see it working with a more agile person with the right conditions. Heck we hunt at least some for the excitement so try it with that in mind.

Good luck!

30-Jul-14
Late posters are saving this thread! :)

Point of origin matters immensely and it's the crux of the whole post,the stalking part is after you've made the tough decision to climb down and risk yourself.

If you can't stalk then stalking is out anyway but guys who do both have decisions to make while still in the tree.

archery 95 has a good point and one I've used.Kinda like turkey hunting... if you don't spook him you can always come back the next day with the possibility of stand relocation or not,especially if a hot doe is running that area.

Others considerations are where you are in the season other deer etc.

Still wanting success stories guys, thanks

30-Jul-14
I've done it twice. Both times in early season where a spook wasn't as big of a deal. Both times with open fields with copious early season cover

Both bucks utilizing early feed that would soon be unavailable, one an early dropping white oak, the other a green bean field days away from yellowing.

Both times the stalk was successful. Both times I blew the end game. Rushed the shot and missed

Now that I recall, there's a 3rd and 4th experience as well. Both open fields, one early October with a 2 year old munching clover, I killed him after closing to 80 and fronting him 50 yards closer.

Last was a presumed 4 year old. Same clover field. Stalked within 100, rattled him the rest of the way, and on closer inspection decided to pass a 25 yard shot

Bake

30-Jul-14
Steve,

I have seen deer from my tree stand that didn't appear to be headed my way...and have therefore, quietly climbed down (once on the back side of the tree) and stalked them. I am not sure if I am actually stalking them though....as I more or less extrapolate their path, anticipate where or what they are headed towards, and move to an intercept point. I think that I can remember seven instances....went four for seven.....so it worked about half of the time.

I do remember that the once treestand had creaked when I was climbing in it....when I decided to stalk that deer, I lowered my bow on my lifeline rope, and actually descended on the lifeline, rather than risk climbing down the ladder.....that added to the excitement of the evening. I had never tried that before....

30-Jul-14
Bake,good point.... I don't need to leave my grunt tube or rattle bag hanging in the tree if I decide to go in after him....options ...options..what are lawyers for right? :)

30-Jul-14
Jake,I concur...In fact interception would be a little easier to do if you can get to your spot.

I've done some grizzlies like that but never whitetails I don't know why it wouldn't work though.

30-Jul-14
One of the things that has kept me from doing this is because the average parcel size where I hunt is pretty small, comparatively. I'm always afraid that the target animal is going to be off the property (or very near the edge) by the time I can close the distance or intercept a path. Cover also rarely makes the situation of stalking beneficial.

Sorry that this is not a success story, but hopefully it adds to the thread in a positive way.

30-Jul-14
Franzen,the more experience hunters post about encounters the more we can all learn.

I'm definitely gaining some confidence in trying some interception/calling/stalking or a combination of all three....when opportunity strikes

30-Jul-14
I hunted a really nice 8 with a drop tine all season several years ago (140 class buck). Watched him tending a doe one evening. As they went around the backside of the ridge to the Southeast of my stand, I figured I could climb down and intercept where the ridge spined out about 100 yds to the North (the direction they had been slowly working on a trail I was familiar with). I lowered my bow and began quietly climbing down.... about halfway down the tree, I looked up and both were standing on the ridgetop looking at me. I hadn't made any noise so I'm left to assume that had I stayed put, she may have looped around and brought him up the back side of the ridge right to me!

I was hunting some older growth hardwoods and had watched them for quite a while. I was certain that they would not be coming past my stand.....dang.

The Amish guy to the South killed him during gun season later that fall. He had busted the 6inch droptine off. Pete

31-Jul-14
Pete, Similar story with a different outcome. In 2011 a 150 class buck my friend and I had three encounters with but could not close the deal.

I figured where he liked to take his does and kept hanging my stand closer. They caught me trying to hang my stand in near darkness. I grunted some and they walked away. They were most likely unsure of what I was.

At day break I observed him breeding his doe no more than one hundred yards away. This went on for better than two hours. I considered making a stalk. Instead I remained in stand.

All of a sudden the doe stands up and just walks away. The buck must have realized it was over. He left in a direction that would take him to a well used bedding area for does.

This brought him by my stand at 15 yards. He is now on my wall.

Not the success story you were looking for Steve, sorry. But this experience taught me I probably have a better chance remaining put, especially if I hung my stand taking such knowledge into account, and hunting the land in a "progressive" approach from the start of the season.

Like someone else above said, you know what you are doing. I figured it was OK to put this in given the slow down in responses. I waited so as to not take this off course too much. Thanks!

31-Jul-14
Frank,that's a good counterpoint and the very reason I haven't attempted climbing down.

Playing to one's strength,confidence in stand placement would raise concerns on randomly climbing down because a hot doe skirted you and you want to set up on her trail.

I like Bake's climbing down with the option to call as a grunt tube,snort wheeze,,bleat can all be the magic that seals the deal if you can get them broadside.

Really nice bucks are rare and the temptation very strong to leave one's perch to go after it....I thought some open discussion on risk/benefits would reveal some things not pondered.

31-Jul-14
I hesitate to keep contributing to this thread, as the experience level of the posters is way above my own. and I know Steve has killed more big deer than I ever will. However, I can't resist :)

I think any consideration of climbing down would need to take in multiple factors. Season timing, time of day, risk of spooking, available cover, weather conditions, etc. etc.

The farm I spend the majority of my time on in November is simply not conducive to any type of stalks, at least not around my favorite rut stands. And I've hunted it for 17 or 18 years, and have had a chance to fine tune things in areas, to the point that I am confident in my setups, like Habitat for Wildlife stated.

For me to consider a stalk out of my favorite rut stands, the conditions would have to be perfect. Bedded buck, high wind or wet ground to cover noise, a ridge top or other visual break to cover movement, etc. And I'd still have to weigh the risk of spooking as well. If it was a deer I'd never seen or gotten pictures of, maybe a roamer, the risk of course is less. If it's a buck I know is a resident, the risk is higher, don't want to spook him off the farm

Early and late season I generally do a lot of hunting on other farms, where I don't keep pre-set stands, and where I'm WAY less concerned about spooking bucks. And way less confident in stand setups. Essentially try to capitalize on feeding tendencies. In those situations, I still do take into account season timing, my available time to hunt, etc., but I'm way more likely to give a stalk a try, especially if I think the food source is likely to change, or I don't have any more days to hunt coming up quickly, etc.

For example, last year on December 6 or 7, I hunted a farm I only hunt late season. It's essentially a 150 acre CRP field, bounded on the north and west by thick brush and swamps, and crops to the south, a residence and pasture to the east. I spotted a good buck way at the other end. Stalkable. He was still acting rutty, big time, but I knew I had more days to hunt, more days to hunt this farm, and thought I stood a better chance of playing the moving-stands-chess-game.

I never did kill that buck with my bow, but stalked him and shot him on December 31st with a muzzleloader. I probably put 11 or 12 hunts into him, and the 3 times I saw him, he never entered the field at the same place, always entered after does, but from a different direction than the does. Cementum said he was 5 1/2, and where this farm is located especially, he didn't live that long by being careless

Bake

31-Jul-14
Bake, You ARE one of those top end deer hunters. I can relate to everything you said. I always take the time to read your input!

31-Jul-14
September of 2010 my wife and I went out after work for a quick hunt. A big storm was about to push through and I wanted to be in the stand as soon as it ended, which meant holding on for dear life throughout it... Right before the storm hit, my wife was had just reached the tree stand platform and I was attaching her bow to the pull up rope. She started freaking out (quietly) and told me there was a giant buck in the field (I could not see it, ditch bank was in the way) not more than 75 yards away. Not knowing what to do, I climbed up the tree. Once I saw just how big this buck was my mind was doing circles! I didn't know what to do but knew I had to make a choice. So, as the storm was just starting to get nasty, I climbed down and snuck my way over to the edge of the field. By that time the wind was howling and it was pouring something fierce.

I peeked over the ditch bank and scanned the secluded part of the field and could not locate the deer. I thought for sure I had spooked him, so I slowly went back to the tree. I climbed up, waited about 10 minutes for the storm to pass and just as it did I looked into the field to see him making his way back out of the woods and into the field. It was the sickest feeling I have had while bow hunting whitetails. Had I just stayed put on the field edge I would have had a shot at a boone and crocket whitetail at less than 25 yards. I should have known that it was the hail, hard rain and thunder that had sent him back to the timber. The wind was perfect and my movements were out of his sight, any noise I would have made was surely masked by the storm. Bonehead move to not put all of that together...

31-Jul-14
"I hesitate to keep contributing to this thread, as the experience level of the posters is way above my own"

The great thing about this place is people are judged by content contribution and a desire to be successful and helpful.Most here understand the "Wall of Fame" in very,very tall but only an inch thick!

Still looking pretty difficult to climb down and close the deal.....

31-Jul-14
there are only two ways that "stalking" raises your percentage...#1 deer are just NOT moving, and conditions are not dry (windy, dry snow, rainy) #2 you are just so antsy you can sit still.... otherwise ambush is best

01-Aug-14
I have kiled several hundred deer over a long hunting career while sitting in a tree stands. This is and always will be my preferred method of bowhunting whitetails. I have killed a few bucks and does from the ground over the years. I do not own or use blinds very often. I have stalked, crawled, bushwhacked, cut off, and just plain wacked deer when the opportunity presented itself. The number one way to kill deer is be ready at all times when in the field and it is legal shooting time. Release on hand and ready to go from the time you leave the truck till shooting time ends. Keep and open mind and react to the situation unfolding in front of you. The best hunters rarely follow the same script on all hunts.

• Sitka Gear