Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Medicinemann 29-Jul-14
Charlie Rehor 29-Jul-14
Ermine 29-Jul-14
Beendare 29-Jul-14
Bigdan 29-Jul-14
29-Jul-14
Does anyone know if the same physical body characteristics are used to age elk as whitetails? Granted, the recent deer aging thread showed that it isn't exactly an accurate science....I was just wondering if the same general characteristics apply.....(sway back, belly sag, etc.)

29-Jul-14
In my experience many of the P&Y minimum qualifying measurements for the 29 species signal a mature animal. Cementum Annuli is the correct way to determine exact age but this can only be done after the animal is shot.

Example: My AZ Elk netted 262 (minimum is 260) and aged at 4.5. Most P&Y Bucks in the Midwest need to be at least 3.5. Mass on the antlers and mass on the body weight are the best field judging tools. When hunting a new specie I study the P&Y record book and get characteristics for "Minimum to qualify", "mid point of records" and "world record". That way when I enter the playing field I have 4 or maybe 5 things to look for.

B&C has a book called "Field Judging Trophy Animals" which explains this for each specie.

PS: I know many people don't care about measurements but some do.

29-Jul-14
Yea I've always thought that bulls with away back and big drop bellies are old more mature bulls. The same holds for mule deer

29-Jul-14
Body size is a big indicator [besides the tooth method]The older bulls get a big ole rounded butt on them like a Belgian horse.

The biggest bull I've ever shot was probably close to 200# heavier than my best in Az- had to be close to 850# was aged by Utah F&G at 9 years old

29-Jul-14
In the breaks we kill 31/2 years olds that score 270 to 280. I killed a bull that was 12 years old a few years ago that only scored in the mid 280s.

• Sitka Gear