bowhntr 30-Jul-14
justinspicher 30-Jul-14
Charlie Rehor 30-Jul-14
sfiremedic 30-Jul-14
muley505 30-Jul-14
chuckles 30-Jul-14
Surfbow 30-Jul-14
29-Jul-14
I have an elk hunt coming up on the 1st of September in NM, and I was considering getting new footwear now so I can start breaking them in for the season. The first September season can be fairly warm here in NM, and I was curious what type of boots or shoes all of you use so your feet don't get too hot in the early season. I have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes (non-insulated), but they get pretty hot in warmer weather, and I have a pair of Merrell hikers that are comfortable, but I find the Gore-Tex makes my feet quite sweaty when it’s hot. I also hunt in an area that has a lot of cacti strewn about, so I would like to avoid a lot of mesh on the outside of the shoe if possible. I also don’t want a low-top type of shoe/boot as I need good ankle support, and I dislike having my shoes fill with dirt when I go through an arroyo. I know, I have a lot of conditions, but I thought someone may have found something that fits the bill for most of them and could point me in the right direction. Thanks for the help.

29-Jul-14
Not high tec but have you considered a simple 8" leather boot like a Russell. I have used them for years on Sept. AZ elk hunts. No issues. Quiet, good support, excellent traction and nothing gets in the top. Nice in warm weather.

29-Jul-14
I use my work boots for hunting or vice versa. They have to be safety toed for work to pay for them. I've used Danner GTX hard toe waterproof boots on my last two SW NM hunts. They might be heavier than some people like but I wear them 6 days a week and it doesn't bother me. I would actually hate to think about hunting NM without steel toes. My boots are worn on the toe from kicking rocks in the dark. I've been wearing them 6-7 days a week for 2 years now and they should go another 2 years.

29-Jul-14
I Like my Salomon Quest 4D GTX. They do have some mesh but it didn't bother me on my spot n stalk antelope hunt.

29-Jul-14
I'll give those a look. Thanks.

29-Jul-14
I also like the Russell boots I have a pair that I have had resoled 3 or 4 times, the Safari PH is the one I used on an AZ elk hunt last season.

29-Jul-14
Inov8 RocLite 400 GTX

29-Jul-14
I wear a pair of Nike hiking boots until cold weather. I used them for elk for many years. Now, still wear them for deer until it gets really cold. Love them.

29-Jul-14
I hunt all season in non insulated boots and switch to wool socks if it gets colder than usual. You should try to find some boots with "Event" fabric instead of goretex, it breathes better, can't give you a brand to look for as the one brand I knew that had it aren't sold in the US anymore.

30-Jul-14

Tree Killer's Link
I've been wearing the Keen Ketchum for two years, very comfortable and have been great for early season archery, shed hunting later in the winter, and hiking around all summer!

30-Jul-14
Salomon Quest 3D just got mine and I am liking them.

30-Jul-14

BULELK1's Link
I really like my UA's for these early hot and dry bow hunts.

Our Bow Buck opens August 16th and these are what I wear.

Good luck, Robb

30-Jul-14
Muley- I bought the Irish setter vaprtrek that are new this year. Only 2.6 lbs and REALLY like them. In fact I bought two because of it. Almost like sneakers but so far waterproof with good traction.

30-Jul-14
I am a Lowa fan. I use them year around for work and love them for hunting. I have the non gortex pair, they are comfortable and allow your feet to breath.

30-Jul-14
As of last year I have started using trail running shoes. They are lightweight and have good traction. So far so good.

30-Jul-14

Charlie Rehor's Link
LaCrosse and Danner are owned by the same Company. I have the Danner Pronghorns and just got the brand new "Quick Shot" boots by LaCrosse. Quick Shots weigh 25 ozs. each! Good Luck! C

30-Jul-14
I've been using Oboz for a few years and love em'...Asolo are also very good...

30-Jul-14
Thanks for all the input; you all gave me a number of options I wasn't familiar with that warrant looking into. Thanks again.

30-Jul-14
Keen, super lightweight and waterproof. You can move yer azz in these suckers.

30-Jul-14
I picked up some Mammut Brecon IIs a few weeks ago and I am extremely pleased so far. I have the UA Speed Freaks as well, but they are terrible in wet conditions.

• Sitka Gear