HUNT MAN 29-Jul-14
justinspicher 30-Jul-14
snapcrackpop 30-Jul-14
Paul@thefort 30-Jul-14
Paul@thefort 30-Jul-14
x-man 30-Jul-14
R. Hale 30-Jul-14
29-Jul-14
I have been thinking of getting a pair of snowshoes for timber hunting. ZERO experience with that. We seem to be getting more snow in KS than in the past and I love to predator hunt in the snow.

Looking for quite and small enough to get around in the woods with.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

29-Jul-14
I put a TON of miles on snow shoes every year. The size you get will depend on the size of you. Too small will do you no good.

None of them are quiet in crunchy snow. The quietest are wood. Look at some of the wood shoes on "Maine Guide Snowshoes" For aluminum shoes I am a big fan of the Atlas 1235 Mountains. MSR Lightenings are also nice, but you need to be sure you get them long enough for your size. I've tried quite a few different snow shoes and these three are my favorites. Just google the models I listed and you will be able to read all you want.

For Predator hunting, it is hard to beat woodies. I use the "Rabit Hunter" in this link.

http://mgsnowshoes.homestead.com/Products2.html

Questions?

29-Jul-14
Thanks for the informed reply.

I have noticed that many wooden models do not include the hardware to attach them to boots. Suggested hardware and suggested boots to wear with them?

I will look over the sites you suggested and let you know if I have any other questions.

29-Jul-14
For my woodies, I just use the Maine Guide bindings. I am sure others will work. My preferred boot is the black military bunny boot. If temps are warm, regular hunting boots work fine.

29-Jul-14
Again, thank you and I will get it figured out now.

29-Jul-14
I will 2nd the Msr lightnings . I use the 30 inch model at 6'3" . Its fun to cruise thru the snow on a quiet winter day. HUNT

30-Jul-14
Huge fan of snowshoeing. Their isn't much snow in the west side of Washington to need them when hunting the late season, but now that I have moved to Kansas, I hope to use them more for predator hunting as well. I own about four or five pairs of snowshoes, all made by MSR.

30-Jul-14
I've only had one pair of snowshoes, but have been very happy with the magnesium military ones. The bindings were coming loose, but then I doubled the tag end back over and now they work great. Wish I would have ordered another pair when the were $35 from sportsmans guide.

30-Jul-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here is a pair of Woodies I purchased in 1966 in the UP of Michigan. The only change was the boot harness from original tanned leather to synthetic material as it does not freeze.

When I snow shoe, I hear others comment, " Look he has on real snow shoes!"

Something older is better. I use them coyote hunting here in Colorado.

My best, Paul

30-Jul-14
That is, "sometimes older is better" I also use hiking poles for better balance.

30-Jul-14
And I thought this was a rabbit hunting thread :)

30-Jul-14
Paul,

Thanks for the info and pictures.

• Sitka Gear