Elk
Contributors to this thread:
Mike Barnes 29-Jul-14
HDE 29-Jul-14
Mike Barnes 31-Jul-14
LaGriz 31-Jul-14
butcherboy 31-Jul-14
29-Jul-14
A buddy of mine and I drew archery elk tags in the NM Humphries WMA, Sept 1 - 15. I understand that there are only 3 ways to access the unit: walk, bike, or horse - we will either walk or bike in and out. Has anyone out there ever done this hunt, and if so, are you willing to share some tips? We're looking for info on:

1. Where is a good spot to enter the unit off the highway? 2. Where do most of the hunters tend to hunt? 3. Are the elk fairly well dispersed, or will they tend to be in specific areas? 4. Anyone use a bike there? How bad is the old road for a bike, considering the ride in the dark? 5. Any advice on horse packers to call in Chama, in case we take an elk too far from the road? Both of us are 54, so we try to work smart rather than hard, if possible :) 6. Anything else beyond what I have asked about?

I will be starting my scouting soon, so just trying to gather intel before I head over there. Thanks.

29-Jul-14
That's a tough one as I have never hunted it. There are local elk, I would say keep on eye on water tanks. There are also a few cattle in there, so, keep in mind you may see guys on horseback from time to time...

Hopefully someone posts with more insight.

31-Jul-14
HDE, Thanks for chiming in, appears that no one is familiar with the WMA. I reposted this thread on the NM area, hoping that someone looking there will have something for me.

31-Jul-14
Mike Barnes,

Sent you a PM

31-Jul-14
I've hunted turkey in there and saw a ton of elk. Of course, it was spring and elk wintered there. I would imagine that it would be good hunting once you get in far enough or find an area that hasn't been pressured too much. It borders close to the Jicarilla. I went in more on top side than the bottom. There is a parking area on the north side of the road with horse corrals.

• Sitka Gear