wyobullshooter 30-Jul-14
bowhunter55 30-Jul-14
butcherboy 31-Jul-14
Rayzor 02-Aug-14
Willieboat 02-Aug-14
Green Country 05-Aug-14
Green Country 12-Aug-14
29-Jul-14
I haven't spent much time on the boards in the last few years and have forgotten a ton of info. I'm updating some of my gear and could use some advice.

I'm shooting a Mathews Q2, 65-70 lbs, 27" draw, with QAD drop away rest.

I need new arrows and broadheads. I'll be going with a fixed head, probably VPA's or slick tricks (but I'm open to suggestions). Oh, and I actually have three new magnus stingers but I'm not sure what grain they are.

Arrows are where I'm really hung up. I've been eyeing the FMJ's but not completely sold yet. If I get easton arrows should I get the deep six versions?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your patience with such a basic noob question, lol

29-Jul-14
Green Country, IMHO, I would go to the most competent local bow shop that you have confidence in and go with their recommendation. They are going to be the one tuning your bow and bringing all components together to make it happen.

Keep us posted on your journey and good luck tis fall!

Mark

29-Jul-14
It matters most 1) what you like and 2) what performs well. I have shot several different brands and all perform very well. As a list topper though, I am partial to the FMJ's.

29-Jul-14
I keep coming back to Maxima Hunters. I just ordered 18 more and shoot them with my compound and my recurve. They just fly the best. Call your local bow shop and see if they have some arrows you can shoot.

Otherwise, you can order one arrow of a couple brands from Lancaster and shoot them side by side. I bet if you bought an FMJ, an Easton, and a Carbon Express, that after about 5 minutes of shooting, you'd know what you were gonna buy.

IMO, arrows are the kind of thing that you're gonna stick with the same brand/model for several years so I think it's worth investing and finding what works best for you. You're never gonna find that out just asking 100 people cause you're gonna get 100 different answers.

30-Jul-14
I started using these thin heavy arrows last year and can't see using any others going forward. Penetration is the difference and with me shooting 60 pounds it really helps! Good luck!

CX Piledriver, Pass Thru Extremes!

30-Jul-14
The FMJ's are a great choice. I'd look at something with a 340 spine on your set-up maybe 400 spine but I like to go heavier on the spine if borderline.

My experience with FMJ's out of my Mathews Switchback has been fantastic. Great arrow flight, increased penetration significantly due to more arrow weight and thin diameter over CE Maxima's I shot previously, and if you shoot a lot of 3D the arrow removal benefit cannot be understated. I've been shooting them for 4 years and don't see myself ever changing. The only drawback is you will lose speed which makes yardage estimation a much more crucial factor, especially past 30 yards. The increased arrow weight more than makes up for speed loss though when you make contact with your target.

30-Jul-14
Both my wife and shoot FMJ and VPA unvented 3-blade. (Both shoot Hoyt CE. Me - 65#, 28.5", 150 Gr BH, 300s. Her - 45#, 24.5", 125 gr BH, 500s). Can't imagine a better set-up for either of us.

30-Jul-14
no matter what, shoot the stiffest arrow you can find.

30-Jul-14
I am shooting fmj and really like them. The smaller diameter should assist with penetration and so should the ultra slick finish, but the wt is the most positive factor in me selecting them. I am shooting the 300 in the dangerious game 70# 29" draw and left my arrows 31" and they still seem spine heavy. I would think 340 would be close to perfect for you. I also like carbon express with 100 grain brass incerts. Those are a lot flatter but still heavy enough for most everything.

30-Jul-14
I've shot FMJ's for years and will for many years to come. My D/L is 26 1/2" and my Elite Pulse is set at 68#, so we're pretty close in D/L and poundage. With the 125gr heads I use, the 400's shoot like darts. The 400's flew best out of my 350 Destroyer as well.

30-Jul-14
I picked up a dozen Easton D6 FMJ Injections and am floored by them. Besides being super accurate,they hit really hard too. Can't wait to connect on a deer this season with one.

31-Jul-14
I switched to FMJ's last year and don't plan on changing. I really like these arrows. They hit hard and fly nice and straight. I was shooting Beman ICS Hunters but the FMJ's out perform them by a long shot. Currently shooting a carbon element 70# 28" draw FMJ 340.

02-Aug-14
Do buy Deep Six if you want to use our VPAs. We don't currently make a head for the small Deep Six threads.

There are a lot of good shafts out there. I personally like the smaller diameters like Carbon Express PTX, Gold Tip Kinetic and Easton Axis (I don't really like the HIT system myself so I used GT Kinetic half outs on the last 2 batches Axis arrows I built. PTX half outs will work in them too. They weigh a bit more.

I've tried a number of full sized carbon arrows too. They seem to break off a bit easier than the small diameters of the same spine which makes since.

02-Aug-14
Started shooting injections about a month ago, so far super impressed with them.

Only draw back is broad head selection !

05-Aug-14
Rayzor, do you intend on making deep six threaded bh any time soon?

I'm really leaning towards the deep six fmjs, but I'd really like to try your broadheads.

12-Aug-14
Ok, it looks like I'm going to get the FMJ Deep Six Injexions.

My arrow length is 28.5", shooting a Mathews Q2 at 65lbs during hunting season. I'll probably go with a 125 gr broadhead (unless you guys recommend otherwise).

Should I get the 400's or 330's?

It looks like my total arrow weight would be ~450 with the 400's, and ~480 with the 330's.

What do you guys think?

• Sitka Gear