Medicinemann 31-Jul-14
elmer@laptop 31-Jul-14
TEmbry 31-Jul-14
elmer@laptop 01-Aug-14
elmer@laptop 01-Aug-14
elmer@laptop 05-Aug-14
elmer@laptop 24-Aug-14
29-Jul-14
Received my Denali Highway Caribou tag late last week for the area East of the McLaren river. Looking at heading out about the 6th of September through the 20th. Moose and brown bear season will be in full swing then too!

But....I hate the waiting and this year is worse than ever. Not only am I waiting for the season to begin but......there is one twist to even getting to go....or not.

We are currently in between housing....staying with a friend. My wife has said I can go if we get settled in a new home or condo by the time my trip is supposed to be, but the single family housing/rental market up here is absurd in terms of pricing!! Currently there is less than 2% vacancy rate in single family housing in Anchorage. And....we are currently on a very limited budget on what we can afford for housing!

We have applied for a 3 BR 2 Bath condo with a 1 car garage. our initial application was rejected by the screening company because just under 4 years ago we had to declare bankruptcy. I wrote an appeal to the owners explaining the bankruptcy...forced upon us by one of my credit card companies raising my interest rates to over 30 % without cause!!

I stopped by the on site Manager's office at the condos today and she got my appeal letter to the owner yesterday. She said we should hear something by Friday! She has been great to work with and is doing all she can to influence the owners to let us live there. if we do get in, we will be able to save between $400 and $500 a month that we are now paying out for storage and some other items.

Hope I can sleep with not knowing and waiting to find out. hopefully I will dream about moose, bear and caribou till then!

29-Jul-14
Good luck, I too am getting excited!

29-Jul-14
Season can't get here soon enough!!

30-Jul-14
I love the anticipation of late July and August. Just thinking there's a huge bull somewhere out there... fighting flies and laying in the shade unaware of a coming rendezvous in September.

I'll be in Fairbanks on the 6th with caribou, wolf, moose and black bear tags for a 14 day self-hunt. Only 5+ weeks to go....

31-Jul-14
still no news on whether we have been approved for the condo yet. I sure am praying it works out so we can get moved before this hunt, and possibly before my son Starts school again in late August!

Had a dream last night I was only 10 yards from a bull caribou and was at full draw when a grizz came busting out of the brush from behind the bou and they both took off into the deep dark stuff.......then my bladder woke me up and ended the dream!

31-Jul-14
I am surprised that the griz didn't make you empty your bladder.....

31-Jul-14
Oh that's funny Jake!!!

31-Jul-14
"I love the anticipation of late July and August."... man I couldn't disagree more. I'm only 23 and I already feel like this month will put me in an early grave sooner than later. haha

Good luck with your tags this fall Elm!

01-Aug-14
our appeal of initially being denied for the condo we want was approved!! First hurdle cleared. now it is just waiting for them to make sure we qualify under the income limits. am told we should find out sometime next week. Damn I HATE waiting and not knowing......almost as much as I HATE snakes!!! but....we did lots of calculating, recalculating and more calculations, and are 99% certain we are under the income limits for the condo!

with approval of our appeal I am 1 step closer to that caribou, moose and bear hunt. Main focus will be caribou and moose, and if a grizz makes itself available, I will take that too!

I have just under 2 dozen red salmon in the freezer for the winter and now just need some meat and we will be in great shape for food for the winter!

01-Aug-14

05-Aug-14
Still waiting to hear on the condo. We went and looked at a beautiful log home that was available on a lease to purchase option. Just too high a monthly rent for us. A log home is our biggest dream.

So, I still Don't know if I am going to get to go on my hunt. And I HATE to wait.......the not knowing on both the condo or hunt is driving me crazy!

24-Aug-14
Grrrrrrr.......starting to look more like I am not going to get to go on my trip for caribou and moose. Too many unsettled things in life still.

Praying for a quick turnaround and getting things together again. The longer we have had to wait to get into the condo we want, the less likely this trip will happen. We have looked at other apartments, condos and houses, but the rental market sucks this year, and the prices asked for rent have sky rocketed. We have been told by the condo complex on-site manager our application and income numbers look good but with the change in management companies, the application process has now dragged out since about the 6th of July. Hope we hear in the next week. That would be a nice birthday present and it might make the hunting trip possible, if only for a week instead of the 10 days to 2 weeks I usually go for.

Tired of camping and sleeping in my truck in the town I live in. At least my wife and son get to stay with a friend till we get a new place.This has been the worst summer of my life. At least I have been able to keep my 7 year old son busy and happy!

• Sitka Gear