trkyslr 23-Aug-14
WylieCoyote 24-Aug-14
29-Jul-14
how far or how crafty should you get hiding your truck on a water hole hunt

29-Jul-14
Need more info to help out!

What animal?

What state?

What is the local terrain and hunter pressure like?

Public or private?

Mark

29-Jul-14
wyoming antelope private land i haven.t been on yet

30-Jul-14
I know this probably doesn't help...but depends. Are there lots of rolling hills so your vehicle can come and go without being seen. Is it super flat, open country where antelope can see a vehicle from 2 miles away? Are there quite a few ranch vehicles the antelope are used to seeing on a daily basis or will you be in a remote area where antelope hardly ever see a vehicle?

If you happen to know where the antelope "tend" to hang out you can hide your vehicle in the opposite direction out of sight of the blind. A dirt bike or 4 wheeler will likely be easier to hide than a full size pickup. I often hike in the dark so they aren't as spooked.

30-Jul-14
I could have shot a dozen antelope within 15' of my truck two years ago. Like Jim said, it depends but I would probably hide it if possible. A sitting vehicle is probably not as alarming as one with road hunters in it either.

30-Jul-14
A few years ago I Was hunting from a ground blind on public land right next to a private alfalfa field.One morning I parked along the access road in plain sight about 300 yards from my blind.A couple of hours later a nice antelope buck came into the field and bedded down within 30 yards of my vehicle...leading me to think that the double bull blind company should make one to look like a '97 ford explorer!

30-Jul-14
Last trip to Wyoming I watched, with my binos, the biggest buck of the trip walk within bow range of my truck parked on the road. Nice thing was he worked his way to the water hole I was sitting on for a nice shot. Antelope walked by my truck all day long. I was on a working cattle ranch and there was vehicle traffic on the main roads all day and the rancher would be checking the water holes with pumps all day. They don't like moving vehicles that slow down or stop close to them. When that happens they put some distance between them and the vehicle. If it's not moving they didn't seem to be concerned. My 2cents

30-Jul-14
I hide my vehicle to keep people from seeing it not wildlife. I have however had the landowner I was hunting on drive in on me thinking I was a trespasser that someone dropped off. He's done this several times over the years. I finally told him if you don't see a vehicle it's me.

30-Jul-14
You could probably put your blind in the bed of your truck and kill a buck if its hot and dry enough on isolated water.

I had a big bull elk bump my still hot engine truck once coming in to a waterhole.

30-Jul-14
One thing they do not seem to like is the reflective sun screen in the windsheild. Never had a truck that was sitting still bother them unless I had the reflective sun screen in the windsheils with sun glaring off of it.

31-Jul-14
I can see it now... the pronghorns are all thinking "where's your car dude?" after the shot ;-)

23-Aug-14
Have arrowed an antelope within 50 yards of my camper and truck. As Jims says. 'It depends'

23-Aug-14
Were I'm hunting I hide it behind a barn about 1/4 mile away from were I'm hunting. And my other two spots I need to be drooped off. If there is a rig within a 1/2 mile the antelope don't come in.

23-Aug-14
the problem with the mindset that "I" have seen antelope within bow range of my parked truck therefore it does not matter is, you do not know how many you have not seen because of your parked truck.

hiding it will increase your odds or at least not be a factor.

23-Aug-14

blind squirrel's embedded Photo
blind squirrel's embedded Photo
well i just came back from wyoming and where i hunted it wasnt to hard plenty of oil tank oil wells piping stations you name it wasnt as hard as i thought did score on day 2 thanks every one for there input

23-Aug-14
Congrats, blind squirrel..... that's a nice goat!

23-Aug-14
Congrats nice goat!

23-Aug-14
At least a quarter mile from the water hole.

23-Aug-14
LOL.....I thought that you meant that you were hiding your vehicle from other hunters....not the critters!!

23-Aug-14
Awesome loper!

24-Aug-14
A couple years ago, I was lucky enough to draw a California antelope tag.....did my homework, identified water holes and set up at what I thought was the best. The sage brush was about 4 feet high so I just parked the ATV in it and it became invisible...or so I thought!! The 2nd day without a single antelope coming in to drink, I opened the roof vent and spotted a big goat on the ridgeline peering down at the waterhole, and apparently at the top of my quad also!!....as he quickly whirled and ran away.

The next morning, I placed a camo tarp over the top of the ATV and one hour later arrowed a 77" beauty. The next year, I advised friend Chuck Balweg of my discovery and he bow shot a 80+ officially scored speed goat in the same blind one hour into opening day!! It was a good lesson.

Joe

• Sitka Gear