Charlie Rehor 01-Aug-14
2rope2 02-Aug-14
WapitiBob 03-Aug-14
ProAlpine 03-Aug-14
SmoothieJonez 03-Aug-14
Ranger44 03-Aug-14
ProAlpine 03-Aug-14
29-Jul-14
I edited the first thread I started, sorry guys I am new to site and working out kinks . Somehow ended up being debate free and not what I intended to do. I tried to delete it and could not figure out how.

Now what I initially was asking was for some help on what other people use when scouting new areas. I purchased the new premium version of onxmaps sd card for my Oregon 450t and works great. I also have app for iPad from them as well. Problem is the app has a bug and right now you can't transfer waypoints to your GPS or desktop from the app.

So I really wanted to know if others had success with myopo.com and or the usgs web site. I have spent the last week and half studying on which map to buy and I still don't have a good paper map. I must be making this harder than what it actually is.

30-Jul-14

SmoothieJonez's Link
Scoutlookweather.com is a free app I have been using for the past few years that works fantastic and inter-phases smartphone with your computer and vice versa. The scentcone feature is worthy as is the deer log and solunar forcast times. It doesn't have topography or gps weigh points, but its a very useful app.

Attached supporting link.

30-Jul-14
Some areas of Google Earth have been updated this year and based on time of year you can actually visualize trails in open canopy areas,really good resolution

30-Jul-14
I think Google Earth sucks...everything is with foliage

Bing maps...."Birdseye view". Lots of pics with foliage down...rotate map to alter pics which alters shadows etc...

There are areas not in the system with the Birdeye feature but when they are it's the best image I've found

30-Jul-14
Thanks guys for the help and input. I just can't find the right paper maps.

01-Aug-14
I bought a few maps from mytopo.com. They are good and durable. A pain to walk around with though.

01-Aug-14
Scoutlook for me too. I don't use paper any more. Good Luck C

02-Aug-14
Thanks for everyone for input. I am ordering some forest service maps for 4 bucks and then probably download some from usgs have them printed and laminated. I am gonna look one more time at mytopo. But they seem overpriced Thks

03-Aug-14
You can put the sd card in a USB adapter and after starting basecamp ( a garmin app ) you then plug In the USB adapter and your onx maps will load up in basecamp. Create your waypoints and tracks in basecamp then export them to your sd card. Stick the sd card back in the gps and your good to go.

03-Aug-14
As for free online maps check out caltopo.com. You can create layers to add or subtract what you see on the map, view sat/topo combinations and even print maps. I work as a mountain guide and use this regularly. I use to use Nat Geo Topo, until they quite making it. Caltopo is almost better with the layers features and being free.

For field use I use GAIA GPS app on my iphone exclusively. I've had several GPS units and as far as I'm concerned they are outdated compared to iphones and apps like this. The app is not cheap, $20, but that's the one time price, then all maps are free. They way it works is you download "layers", which can be USGS maps or even ariel terrain (sat photos like google earth), when you are home and have great cell reception or wifi. Then when in the field you can access those layers without cell reception. The GPS functions works incredibly well, but requires airplane mode to be turned off. I often switch back and forth with airplane mode when using the GPS in order to save as much battery as possible. The iphone (or other smart phone) and these apps are so good I ebayed all previous GPS systems and rely on this almost exclusively. Most of the time I carry a paper map as well, but I've even gotten out of the habit of that.

Battery life can be an issue when using your phone in the field. There are many ways to conserve battery life and I wont go into all of them here, but airplane mode is a big one. Also, I have recently purchased an extra battery called a MOPHIE. It's about the same size as my phone, a little lighter and allows me to completely charge my phone 3 times. With these 2 devices I feel confident I can have navigation software for up to a week if not more in the field... now if they will just make a SAT Phone app for smart phones and/or a Personal Locator Beacon app, then we'd be set!

03-Aug-14
I just checked on the caltopo app - it isn't free for Android users. It's a one time charge of $11.99. It does look worthy however.

03-Aug-14
Caltopo.com was great. Thanks for that info. It's the easiest one to use I have tried. Super easy to select an area and print with good quality.

03-Aug-14
Glad to help out, Ranger.

Smoothie, I haven't used caltopo as an app on my phone, just on my computer at home. I prefer GAIA GPS for the phone app. The topos are what you'd expect and more and the GPS is so good.

I'm currently in Chamonix, France for some work and turned on GAIA GPS on my phone and it showed me where I am down to the exact house I'm staying in. Pretty cool.

Regardless of what app you choose, the one time fee is pretty reasonable if you consider USGS Topos are $8 each! Often times you have to buy 2 or 3 for an are because you're traveling off one map to another...

• Sitka Gear