Jack Harris 01-Aug-14
Bullhound 01-Aug-14
Jack Harris 01-Aug-14
Cheesehead Mike 01-Aug-14
bill brown 01-Aug-14
Bullhound 01-Aug-14
Planner 01-Aug-14
30-Jul-14
I'd like to hear what age the Whitetail experts here come up with for this buck in one of our plots. If you can provide specific details about how you come to your conclusion, it would be great.

30-Jul-14

Bullhound's embedded Photo
Bullhound's embedded Photo
a pic might help eh?

30-Jul-14
id say 3.5 small neck, small head straight back no gut

30-Jul-14

30-Jul-14

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
This is the only deer anyone can accurately age...

30-Jul-14
3.5 body structure, head, back, gut.

30-Jul-14
3.5 I would say

30-Jul-14
I'm with you Jack, I ain't playing this any more.

31-Jul-14
thanks, have been telling my friend this buck is just getting into his potential. we have probably 10 bucks minimum like this guy on the property that I feel are just now getting near their potential. This is not a big buck state like the Midwest.

31-Jul-14
Bullhound

It’s hard to give a relatively accurate guestimate on the deer’s age because of the photo is at a quartering angle rather than broadside, but said, I’d say he’s either 4 ½ or 5 ½ and I’m more inclined to lean toward thinking he’s 4 ½.

I’m basing the guess on the buck’s body (back, chest and abdomen area) and not his neck. The buck’s back line does not give a ‘sway back’ appearance which seems to accompany a buck that’s 5 ½ or older. His chest and belly appear to form a straight line parallel to the ground where a 3 ½ year old (and younger buck) would show a more defined ‘waist and chest’ area. It’s been my observation that bucks 5 ½ and older tend to show a deeper chest shoulder area, have a slight sway (dip) in their back, as well as a pot belly.

The buck’s neck won’t tell us anything until he’s out of velvet and his muscles are fully developed. I tend to use the point where lower and front of the neck as my last indicator of a mature buck. If the lower point of the chest and neck appear to be a continuous line the buck is at least 4 ½ and possibly older.

So based on that, I’m sticking with 4 ½. If he, or something like him shows up at our farm rest assured Millie or I would be drawn and waiting for the opportunity to fill our tag.

31-Jul-14
3.5-4.5

31-Jul-14
3.5 is my guess...but I am out on a proverbial limb with trying to age a deer with only one image. Though the deer has pretty thick hams for a 3.5 YO...or appears to from this angle. Gut seems thick but still has a flat top and bottom line.

01-Aug-14
Thanks milnric and others. I am the furthest thing from an expert but my feeling is that this guy is 3.5. The biggest reason for my question is to try and identify if this type of buck is just hitting his real prime. In other words, could be real nice deer in another year and for sure, two years out.

01-Aug-14
Sounds like you work for "whitetail properties" does he have a name yet :). Just kidding - good luck with your management plans.

01-Aug-14
Jack,

as a matter of fact, we have named a few deer and elk that are on the property. we actually named a draw after the biggest buck we have seen in the area. it's called "No Neck" draw.

01-Aug-14
Looks like beautiful country to hunt. Nothing wrong with trying to let a buck grow to it's best potential I just would try to not let it spoil all the fun. I think TV shows have created that mindset which overall can be a good thing but I see too many young archers thinking they are managing a herd on there 5 acre private lot that they bait and run a trail cam on. All they know is what they see on tv and their little piece and try to apply it. It's quite comical! Good luck this season.

01-Aug-14
I don't think 3.5... more like 3.25 ;^)

01-Aug-14
4.5. His neck will get thicker later. Two fat in the back end for 3.5.

01-Aug-14
thanks Jack. a few over 5 acres!!

01-Aug-14
There's a lot of people guessing this buck was born in January of 2009, 2010 or 2011. I'd take a logical guess that they are all likely mistaken ;)

• Sitka Gear