Tim in Wyoming 30-Jul-14
Franzen 30-Jul-14
Franzen 30-Jul-14
Tim in Wyoming 30-Jul-14
JLS 30-Jul-14
jims 31-Jul-14
JLS 31-Jul-14
30-Jul-14
I've searched many threads, most are 2-3 years old (or more). Looking for some new intel from the backpack/bivy guys based on their personal experiences.

I'm interested in current advice from those experienced with the Kuiu/First Lite/Kryptek hard shell-type jackets.

I left out Sitka because of bad reviews from friends (it soaked up water and was HEAVY afterwards)and way high price. I know a lot of guys dropped big coin on the stuff and swear by it, just not on my list of options.

Which shell would you recommend for a 10 day backpack hunt at or above timberline? Possible multiple days of rain, maybe appreciable snow and cold temps. Lots of cool/cold mornings and evenings spotting in wind/drizzle/sun...

Is there a new hi-tech jacket out there that will work as a rain/wind outer shell and be quiet enough for day to day hunts? Hopefully, the shell will work for dark timber elk hunts down lower in late Oct and November in snow and cold.

Lots of guys swear by MTO50 but the fabric soaks up rain, stays wet and takes forever to dry out if you are in a tarp tent/bivy with no stove etc..

Any advice or clothing lists you'd like to share would be much appreciated and very interesting.

This horse has been beaten to death in the past but it is due for a new thrashing.

Thanks,

Tim

30-Jul-14
It's miserable to be wet...so I know exactly what you mean!

I have Sitka Downpour pants plus Sitka Nimbus top and have never had a problem. I've been on 2 trips to Alaska that were 3 weeks each with lots and lots of rain without a problem. Never soaked through. I've had both of them for about 7 years here in Colo and Wyo also without a problem. They dry super fast and very light/not too terribly bulky.

I wouldn't even consider MT050 if you are going to be around much rain....it will likely soak through. Another relatively cheap option I use when I don't need camo is Marmot Precip pants and jacket....never an issue with them fishing in Alaska. You can likely get them for around $50 to $75 each at Sierra Trading with discount codes and they've worked almost as good as my Sitka raingear.

I've heard Kuiu has a new gortex like fabric that is lighter and more breathable than gortex. You better have deep pockets though!

What ever jacket you buy make sure they have pitzips! I wouldn't own a rain jacket without them.

30-Jul-14
Thanks, Jim. Great advice.

I finally wore out a Precip after at least 10 years and it was a great jacket... wore it in town, backpacking, etc.. That's a very good idea to just use a Precip over my other layers in steady and/or long term rain 'events'. I could use the saved $$ and buy another compressible insulation layer, like a down vest, etc.. I just bought a First Lite Uncompahgre and could use another compressible/lightweight layer to go with it.

30-Jul-14
How are the new outer layer tops, like the Kuiu Chugach NX, in temps below freezing? Does the fabric "stiffen up" or get noisy?

30-Jul-14
The Chugach is lightweight, packable rain gear. Insulation value is minimal. The fabric can be a bit noisy if you are thinking about wearing it in dry conditions (in the rain you or your prey aren't going to notice the noise). Anything will work with the proper layering below though.

I would look into the Yukon series from KUIU. It's supposed to be more of a daily wear item that can handle the extreme wet weather as well. I'm not sure how quiet it is, or if you would want to wear it in some of the more moderate weather though.

30-Jul-14
Double.

30-Jul-14
The Yukon looks like a fine jacket... what is its warmth/insulation like, I wonder? I have a First Lite Uncompahgre. Would the Uncompahgre even be necessary?

30-Jul-14
FYI, I just ordered a Marmot Precip in forest green for $50 off of Sierra Trading Post.

31-Jul-14
I hope you have as good of luck with your Precip as I've had with mine! $50 for an excellent, packable rainjacket with pitzips is a bargain deal! I know I'd trust the Precip a lot more than MTO50's! You got me thinking that I should buy another one!

31-Jul-14
The orange spice would look pretty sharp, I almost bought two.

• Sitka Gear