BULELK1 30-Jul-14
Stekewood 30-Jul-14
Rick M 30-Jul-14
Stekewood 30-Jul-14
WapitiBob 30-Jul-14
BULELK1 31-Jul-14
Florida Mike 31-Jul-14
30-Jul-14
My buddy and I are sitting on max points in Wyoming and are starting the planning process in hopes of making the hunt happen next year. We realize that the wilderness areas are off limits but are hoping to find some remote country where we can bowhunt relatively undisturbed elk. Quantity of good bulls and solitude are more important to us than the chance at a monster. We would also consider an outfitted drop camp. We both have quite a bit of DIY wilderness experience.

Not looking to hone in on anyone's honey hole but would greatly appreciate any general suggestions to get us going in the right direction. Feel free to reply by private message. If you prefer.

Thanks in advance.

30-Jul-14
you know whats great about wy? both archers and rifle hunters apply for the same tag in most units. enough rifle hunters don't hunt during archery season, reducing pressure. i used max pts last year in a unit with no wilderness. the elk bugled freely and i never saw another hunter once i left the road or trail.

30-Jul-14
Keep in mind that everybody reads and knows all the Odd's magazines and all the Odd's reports so most every one of us are in the same draw boat year-in-year-out.

Good luck, Robb

30-Jul-14
It's funny I told my buddy that one of the first replies we would get would be almost exactly, word for word, what is written above. Thanks for not letting us down! (Thanks for editing the smart a$$ stuff out Robb!)

30-Jul-14
Stakewood, that is because if there is a sleeper out there we all protect it on the WWW. The reality is that max points won't get you much of a chance at the top 3-4 units in the state and it is too many for any units that are slightly overlooked.

Are you looking for DIY? Guided? private land access? Even the average units have great spots depending on what you are looking for.

30-Jul-14
I understand the whole protective thing and I am very familiar with the odds and the chances of drawing the "top units". We aren't interested in putting in for a long shot or trying to find a sleeper unit. We are just ready to hunt Wyoming and are looking for suggestions for a quality experience. I doubt that the real point players would burn their points on some of the units that we would be happy hunting anyway.

We can afford a guided hunt but enjoy doing it on our own and at this point are looking at those options. Private land access or outfitted drop camps are certainly also possibilities.

Thanks

30-Jul-14
For $1100 you can hunt GEN units next year. Pick the right spot, your criteria will be met. If I knew where that spot was, I'd be hunting it myself.

If you don't want to gamble on finding that spot, draw a unit in the South Central/South East part of the state and hunt private or pay trespass/access.

31-Jul-14
You are welcome as I have no problem after I re-read something and I feel it is over the edge or someone gives me a heads-up to change/edit it.

Good luck, Robb

31-Jul-14
I've heard 38 is good if you can get permission to hunt some of the private. 39 is good if it's not so dry that the cattle farmers flood it with range maggots. You might do well to call the Wyo biologists and diff game managers or wardens. Look at some of the past threads on 39 and then PM some of the guys that posted on it. Some of those guys will help you with if you PM them. Mike

• Sitka Gear