BULELK1 31-Jul-14
WFG in NM 31-Jul-14
Fulldraw1972 31-Jul-14
writer 31-Jul-14
Charlie Rehor 01-Aug-14
toehead 01-Aug-14
R. Hale 01-Aug-14
30-Jul-14
I was watching ridge reaper and they were looking for the 420" elk in NM just to stumble upon it... and we know the rest. It was an awesome animal, the video of it gives you better idea of how big it was. If it was poached or not idk, I haven't heard of any substantial evidence proving it was.

Were there any new leads on this?

31-Jul-14
I did see the episode and you can also see that elk on the outdoor channel website on the ridge reaper trailer (the one with Jim Shockey). I also would love to know was it rifle shot, arrow shot, did they just walk upon it, smell it, any leads,etc. If it was a legitimate hunter can you imagine how he feels losing that animal!

31-Jul-14
Call the New Mexico DNR and get their report! I'd like to hear their story and what they figured out! C

31-Jul-14
ALMA >> New Mexico Department of Game and Fish conservation officer KC Gehrt recovered a dead, world-class, bull elk outside of Reserve on Sept. 4. Poaching is suspected.

Hunters discovered the rotting, but intact, elk carcass in a canyon, a mile and a half east of Little Round Mountain. Hunters in the area last saw the massive elk alive Sept. 1.

"It's stealing," hunter Jeff Lewis said. "The state lost a huge amount. That's a once in a lifetime bull." Lewis and his hunting partner Don Roach had been tracking and shooting video of the enormous elk for three years.

"Up until this year, every time we would have an encounter with him he would disappear," Lewis said. "But this year he was visible every morning and every night. We thought we would have a chance to have a stalk on him and have a chance to harvest. But the poacher must have seen him too. It's really horrendous."

After examining the elk Gehrt was able to find what appeared to be trauma to internal organs, in particular to the tops of the lungs, which would be consistent with injuries caused by a small caliber bullet. Due to extent that the elk had decomposed, Gehrt was not able to find the bullet.

"In the past, poachers have waited to return to an animal because they couldn't find it or they were waiting to claim the animal when they had a hunting license," Gehrt said. "That is what I suspect happened here. The wanton waste in this situation is sickening. It's one of the reasons that trophy poaching should be a treated as a felony."

Gehrt measured the elk's antler length to be 422.375 inches, just shy of the Safari Club International New Mexico Big Game Record of 437.625 inches.

Although archery season opened Sept. 1 in Game Management Unit 23, it is illegal to hunt elk with a firearm during archery season.

If caught, the poacher would face misdemeanor charges and potential civil penalties greater than $10,000 for the unlawful killing of a trophy elk this size.

"This is an ongoing investigation," said Gehrt. "We are following up on every lead." One witness saw a silver Dodge pickup with dually-style rear wheels and New Mexico plates in the area around the time of the elk's death. Anyone with information about this crime is urged to call Operation Game Thief toll-free, 800-432-GAME (4263), or to visit www.wildlife.state.nm.us.

31-Jul-14
Damn, that's terrible...

31-Jul-14
lowlife scum

31-Jul-14
That sux... any photos of the rack?

31-Jul-14

AntlergeekAdam's Link
shows a pic of the Bull

31-Jul-14

AntlergeekAdam's Link
video of the bull

31-Jul-14
What an animal....what a waste.....

31-Jul-14
Just an absolute slob! What a shame.

31-Jul-14
Curious why it was scored SCI instead of B&C? Usually when someone says it's SCI score it's because it was shot in a fence but that's not the case here.

31-Jul-14
+1 Zinger-----

Are they inflating the score value for some reason? using SCI?

Thanks for the links A-g-Adam.

Good luck, Robb

31-Jul-14
I believe NM G&F uses SCI scoring system as a consistent way of being able to determine higher fines for trophy class poached animals.

--Bill

31-Jul-14
Wow what a great bull. Terrible waste to all there.

31-Jul-14
"someone says it's SCI score it's because it was shot in a fence but that's not the case here."

Not so...I have several friends who are big in SCI and none of them would consider shooting an animal in a high fence.

They're part of the club, which does a crap-load for hunting and conservation...and SCI scores are always higher than BC or PY.

01-Aug-14
SCI is a gross score system so it could be higher than B&C! Could also be politics!

When I went to Measurers training class for Boone & Crockett half the students were US and Canadian Province DNR guys. They were getting certified because their States or Provinces were establishing fines based on antler scores and they needed Official Measurers. The bigger the animal the bigger the fine.

01-Aug-14
Question.....has there been any Spook sightings in New Mexico?

01-Aug-14
Charlie is correct about training of DNR guys.

That trend has been increasing over the last 15 years or so.

• Sitka Gear