Ylpmin 01-Aug-14
Badlands 01-Aug-14
'Ike' 01-Aug-14
midwest 01-Aug-14
SDHNTR(home) 01-Aug-14
grossklw 01-Aug-14
Owl 03-Aug-14
31-Jul-14
Who else does it? I'm on my way to class right now. I'm a I'm the closet crossfit guy. I don't wear the clothes or talk about it much (less this post), but it's a great workout and has me feeling great for elk season. On top of that I just started following that Rich Froning Dude on IG after I saw a picture that Cameron Hanes posted of him and guess what??? That Rich dude is a hunter, which made me an instant fan. I had no idea. It's good to see people like that in the sports world active in hunting. He even Bowhunts.

31-Jul-14
Would love to if there were classes closer to home. I do some crossfit workouts like "Murph".

31-Jul-14
I've been trying to find an opening in a class slot that fits into my schedule. all of the early morning classes are booked solid at all of the local gyms. I'm still looking, looks like an incredible way to stay fit.

31-Jul-14
Does more harm than good IMO. I know a lot of physical therapists who say they'll always have work because of crossfit. Lower impact is healthier.

31-Jul-14
Taking today off, after 3 straight wods so I'll just run a few miles tonight and be back at it tomorrow morning. Love me some cross fit. No more shoulder issues from shooting my bow and I'm not afraid of no mountain!

Our owner is an ex Olympian weightlifter, so to get that kind of advice is priceless.

31-Jul-14
DP

31-Jul-14
First rule of crossfit is you always talk about crossfit... Opposite of fightclub. didnt you know that? ;-)

31-Jul-14
Otcwill

You beat me to it, I watch some of it was forced to do some of it and most but not all the exercises are dangerous and bad.

31-Jul-14
murph will kick your butt

31-Jul-14
Did my first cross fit workout Tuesday night still sore this morning lol

31-Jul-14
I wasnt too intrigued by cross fit until I tried it. Now I love it. I like the efficiency and diversity of the work outs. I work out alone in my own gym so I dont get super crazy with weight and there are some lifts I dont do, I usually add more running to most wods.

31-Jul-14
Crossfit = Paleo.

Paleo = Natural protein.

Natural protein = Hunting.

Combine high end endorphin/fitness junkies and a need for organic protein. Need I say more? Peas and carrots.

BTW, Crossfit had a commercial last year that featured a dude who incorporated Crossfit into his lifestyle to support his hunting habit. That kind of unapologetic cultural support of hunting is valuable.

Crossfit is an a social positive, though, I disagree with timed events using heavy weights and reps to fatigue. That's a tweaking issue (pun intended), however. Turning fitness into a sport of its own is a positive.

31-Jul-14
OTC and BG,

I do agree to a point. I tell all folks that if you already have issue(s), like a bad back or trick knee, don't do it!! Now if like me and you have none of these, go for it!!

I don't know how other boxes are set up, but we are trained for FORM, FORM, FORM!! Of all the folks doing it, no one hurts themselves (knock on wood)by doing this type of workout and I've seen too many success stories, like mine (down 40 lbs.)to think otherwise. As with most things, there are some bad apples I'm sure.

31-Jul-14
The trick like some have said is watching the type of exercise you do and the way crossfit incorporates it. I think some parts of crossfit are great others stay away Fri.

31-Jul-14
I was enjoying crossfit.. But all of the injuries that occur ran me off..

I read somewhere like 1-5 people will get injured at some point doing it. I cant afford to get injured..

I may get back in it and just do light weight so that i dont get injured and do it more for the cardio

31-Jul-14
Crossfit incorporates enough discipline(s) and exercises to avoid particular trouble spots. Functional fitness as a inherent goal is absolutely beneficial individually and culturally.

31-Jul-14

buzz mc's embedded Photo
buzz mc's embedded Photo
I don't know enough about Crossfit to have an informed opinion, but someone in the office sent this to me the other day and I found it somewhat funny.

31-Jul-14
Been doing it for three years now and if you are in a gym with trainers who know what they are doing and you are not in it for the ego boost your chance of injury is slim. We almost never do high reps or timed workout with heavy weight. We do max weight on some lifts, but it is only to measure strength gains. Much more cardio than most realize. It is the real deal, but nutrition is a huge part of it and this is where I fail miserably. I love sweets!! The ones that do it regularly and eat paloe'ish have tremendous results. If you are the type to go in and show out for the girls then you should probably lay off of Crossfit.

31-Jul-14
I found Crossfit two years ago now after a low point in my life. I was newly single, tired of the normal gym routine and I was looking for change... And oh what a change I found!

At our box ( where I now coach from on the days I'm not at work at my regular job ) ... We are also from Nazis! We practice a lot with scaled down weights until the athlete is capable of such moves as dead lifts, cleans etc and I'd say at least 50% of our regular members are women of ages well up to 60 years of age.

As for the dangerous injuries.... Trust me, there is more in football, basketball, hockey and even archery that happen each and every weekend. One rule I tell all new comers to Crossfit is to leave your ego at the door... This is hard stuff and like anything in life it takes practice and time. Don't expect to turn up in the first 6 months expecting to do complex moves like rope climbing and power snatch...

As for fitness.... I've seen nothing that compares to it... Show me something better if there is?

As a side note, people disapproved of MMA and the UFC when it started making headway... Now it's one of the fasting growing sports in the world watched and practiced by millions.

Come drink the cool aid and eat clean... Your life will take a change for the better!

WPA.

31-Jul-14
I'm not a huge fan. I am neutral on it. I'm happy folks do it for general fitness. But given my job is athlete development, it drives me nuts when an athlete wants to do it. It's a sport unto itself. You dont swim to improve your 100M sprint time as an extreme example of what I am getting at here... It's not the best way to develop agility, speed, acceleration, endurance, stopping ability, etc. and it's not fair for folks to expect it to - that's not what it's about. For someone interested in a fun atmosphere, supportive bunch, and good general fitness development though, rock on and have fun.

I do find it funny they are suing the National Strength and Conditioning Association for publishing a study that largely complimented crossfit and similarly structured training as a way to improve aerobic power simply because the authors did note that the injury rate was higher than in some forms of exercise. Crazy to sue a well established group, over a largely complimentary, peer reviewed article.

31-Jul-14
Crossfit doesn't cause injuries....big egos and bad form does.

01-Aug-14
LOL,

So im a coach. I've coached for 22 years, not too long by most standards.

If we relate crossfit to weight lifting. Weight lifting has exercises, bench press, squat, curls, etc…. Now my question is does everyone who weight lifts have the same form the same standards when they lift??? Do they do the same exercises exactly the same with the same reps, sets, form???

Crossfit is a concept and each coach/ box has different standards of excellence and ego. Each box/ owner comes up with their own workouts and administers them to their clients. So would it be safe to say that each Crossfit workout at each Box in the US at 6pm on a tuesday afternoon is different???

I would like to see every workout from every Box of a particular day and see if even 2 match??? I think the chances would be very very slim.

So if all the workouts are different wouldn't it be safe to say all the coaches/ owners are different too? Different standards, warm ups, different ideologies as to how to implement crossfit?

Crossfit can be beneficial and dangerous, however you can be hiking in the woods chasing elk, step over a log and break you ankle. Cutting up an elk with a knife, slice and slip. Oh my cut your femoral artery?!?!?!?

Crossfit WODS can be constructed to benefit any sport or passion.

So with crossfit at a box take a slow approach to reaching your goals. Do less weight, stay below 80% of max, show up everyday. Elk don't care how many burpees you can do in 7 Min, or what your FRAN time is, or what you can bench!!! Unless its more than them!!!

The only thing elk care about is staying away from YOU!!!!!

Have fun and GL this year.

01-Aug-14
I have no Crossfit gym near me, but I plan on starting one in the next 10 years. I have done a few of the WODs and I think they are great. I agree that any program that gets people motivated & fit is good. Injuries are a part of life and if you start slow & train/exercise right, you will be fine. I like that Crossfit has an instructional class & certification too.

I live way up in northern Minnesota...no gyms for miles. In fact, I have my free weights, rack, and pullup bar set up in the maintenance shop of my excavating business. For different workouts, I flip a grader tire out in the yard. I have my bag target set up on pile of crushed concrete right outside my office door so it's easy to get a few practice shots in on a moments notice. Do what you can with what you have.

However, it would be nice to have a crossfit gym here. And, I think I could get enough people interested in it to make it at least break even. I just want to have the gym here and have enough memberships to make the payments ~ I'm not doing it to get rich.

01-Aug-14
Last season I did crossfit for 3 months and kicked butt on the mountian. The 2 seasons before I did P90x and did good, not not compared to crossfit. I don't like running and I live on flat land so crossfit is great for building my breath and my legs. Better for shooting my bow, holding it longer, and again breathing while shooting. I don't think there is a better workout out there for elk season. I had back surgery on my L4 and L5 9 years ago and crossfit promotes a great core which does wonders for my back and keeps away and lower leg pains that I often get when not on a regular workout routine.

01-Aug-14
If you fill that you are behind on your preparations for this upcoming season I suggest you join today. Most places take anyone of any shape. You just have to scale your workouts properly.

And regards to injury. I played sports, including TCU football. There was always a hurt body part through those years. With crossfit I never have those problems.aibly because I'm working out for just me and not trying to whip the other guy across the line of scrimmage from me.

01-Aug-14
At my crossfit gym there is a graduated structure where you start in a basics class. The basics class was designed to develop core strength and bring up your level of cardio. It utilize exercises like wallballs, kettlebell swings, lunges, rope climbing, pull ups, push ups, running, rowing etc.... without the "lifts". Once your general fitness level gets to a certain point you incorporate a prep class along with the basics class to learn technique used in the crossfit lifts. Once the instructors are confident in your abilities you may graduate to crossfit.

Crossfit is a powerful medicine designed for maximum stimulation. I think those that are doing crossfit year round will agree that there is not much left to do to prepare physically for the rigors of a high country elk hunt other than acclimation to altitude.

That feeling you get when your 10 hours into getting an elk out of a nasty place can't be had with a leisurely tour through the gym. Everyone that has been there knows it is a complete mind ***K sometimes. A full blown crossfit workout will get you pretty close. As far as getting hurt in crossfit.....well you can get hurt on a elk hunt if your not prepared mentally and physically for what your doing.

01-Aug-14
I just started two weeks ago. My previous workouts consisted of standard weight lifting, Insanity and some running mixed in. I've found the workouts and the maneuvers to be unique. Our instructors are 100% focused on good form and safety.

I will say that I feel like I get a great workout in with far more cardio than I expected. Many of the maneuvers are very precise and target specific muscles that I normally wouldn't be able to get with my standard weight lifting techniques. I'm 100% behind it so far. For me having that structured and competitive environment focuses me on better performance and pushes me beyond my own self-perceived mental limits.

01-Aug-14
Is this the one I see 'em pushing a tire down the street?

Always wondered why they just didn't tip it on end and roll it....

01-Aug-14
Dang, Ike, I feel so stupid now! lol

01-Aug-14
"Crossfit doesn't cause injuries....big egos and bad form does."

Amen!

01-Aug-14
Crossfit can be good and bad. As a physical therapist I love it, I consistently see a few new evaluations a month from people coming from poor crossfit gyms, keeps me busy and they're normally athletes (most of the time). Finding the right gym may be the single most important aspect of it; the crazy over the top "just do it, no pain no gain philosophy" trainers make my clinic thousands for a reason. But by saying that, I also know of one or two gyms where the trainers are excellent and have a solid exercise science background and realize the importance of not over-doing it. Not bashing crossfit owners, like any other profession (including PT's), there are good ones and bad ones.

As a general rule of thumb I tell people if you wake up day after crossfit with more than just "muscle soreness" and you feel a specific pain, you did something incorrectly at some point and come see me first before going back to make sure you didn't make something worse. Unless they're physical therapists and not personal trainers they should not be diagnosing injuries either so keep this in mind as well when attending.

03-Aug-14
"As a general rule of thumb I tell people if you wake up day after crossfit with more than just "muscle soreness" and you feel a specific pain, you did something incorrectly..."

-Good advice for any strenuous endeavor.

• Sitka Gear