Thornton 10-Sep-14
Medicinemann 10-Sep-14
hunt2live 10-Sep-14
Thornton 10-Sep-14
willliamtell 12-Sep-14
Thornton 13-Sep-14
elmer@laptop 13-Sep-14
09-Aug-14
My 92 year old neighbor just called me up this evening and informed me he is going to start tearing out trees on our fence line tomorrow. The problem lies in that many of these mature osage orange and hackberry trees are directly on the line. I have scoured Ks fence laws and cannot find that he is legally able to tear out trees that we share in common. He is, however able to trim limbs or cut down trees that are on his side of the fence. I informed him I do not want any trees removed until I have researched this more. My American Ag Credit agent told me that when there is a landmark that has been recognized for that many years as the property line, it stands as the legal line. This hedge row has been there for over 60 years and is used frequently by deer, quail, owls and rabbits. Any sound advice will be appreciated.

09-Aug-14
Every state is different. You need consult a land attorney and get a restraining order ASAP

09-Aug-14
What gobbler said and maybe be sitting there first thing tomorrow and not let him or anyone else who comes to cut them down, though I doubt he's going to be any cutting.

I find it odd that he waits until he's 92 to start cutting tress down in a hedge row. What s his reasoning behind it?

09-Aug-14
If it's 1/2 on his land and 1/2 on yours, if he couldn't remove them, then neither could you - which would be a Catch-22 and seems unlikely. Ask him to wait till you get back to him on Monday - I doubt you'll be able to talk with a lawyer before that, which is what you need to do.

If they ask for a reason for the restraining order, tell them you need time to get the RPR and B12 results back to explain why anyone would be crazy enough to cut down 3/4 century old trees that run along a property line.

09-Aug-14
He wants to put in a new fence. The existing fence is on his side of the trees, so it appears they are all on my land. He wants to bull doze them all out and he has the equipment to do it.

09-Aug-14

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
What is it with neighbors cutting down trees without asking?! This is how I found my rental 3 weeks into the 4 week sale contract when I went up to mow the lawn, note the ladder from the neighbor's yard OVER the fence and into my trees...

You need to call the cops if he starts cutting before you hear from a lawyer!

09-Aug-14
Not sure about Kansas per se. Check to see if there is a recorded survey of the property. I put up a fence a couple of years ago and straightened out some fence that had a jog in it. My neighbor insisted that I was stealing some of their property because a map that the realtor had showed the jog and everything on their side of the fence was theirs stating similar things such as a fence being there for a long time constitutes the legal property line. Not true.

Anyway, my property description clearly states the legal description of the lot as recorded in around 1915 when the town was laid out. Plus, I had my property surveyed and recorded in the county courthouse for an addition I was doing prior to my now neighbor moving in. Consequently, they lost our fence-side "courtroom" discussion and it hasn't been an issue since.

10-Aug-14
Talk a KS lawyer immediately.

I'm a Colorado lawyer, so I can't give you advice on KS law. But getting paid after the trees are gone is a crappy remedy.

10-Aug-14
If you end up not being able to stop it. There might be some bow staves that could be saved from the osage. The guys on the Leatherwall would make use of them.

10-Aug-14
There are homestead laws in place. In this state it is a 7 year clause. If I fence a line and you don't contest it for 7 years afterwards, it becomes mine. Now, I wouldn't do that. Just sayin... It is one of the reasons you keep your stuff on your property around here.

I don't know what it is in your state but, I do know if the deeds call for those trees than they are boundaries that shouldn't be removed unless both parties agree to it. And only if they were replaced by other definitive markers on the line like a fence. You could then record an amendment in the courthouse showing this as the official line.

You need to find the line. Pull your deed and see what it calls for. Run the course with a compass if need be. Get an environmental lawyer's advice on your rights. And if he refuses to wait, inform him you intend to hold him liable if it turns out your right. Good luck and God Bless

10-Aug-14
Seriously, Jason.

It's expensive.

It's not anything you did to deserve it.

It's not a good situation to be in.

But you may be best talking with an attorney.

Any idea who wants to buy the property after the current owner is gone?

Sounds like someone may be trying to get him to pay for the fencing before they buy it?

10-Aug-14
Why not be a good neighbor and not make a big deal out of him cleaning up the fence line as long as he doesn't leave a mess? It's a few trees on an old property line nothing more? There must be more to the story? Has there been bad dealings with this guy in the past? Did he rape your dog and burn your house down? I'm shocked by 2 things about this story. 1 is that you would get on the internet and ask strangers to tell you how to live YOUR LIFE. 2 is that you don't just try to work something out with your neighbor instead of paying LAWYERS and creating a fiasco over and old fence line. Somehow getting worked up over this "as you described it" issue seems trite and insincere. What happened to the days of old when a man looked a man in the eye and worked out their problems with a handshake? Mike

10-Aug-14
I see where Mike is coming from and agree to a large part of it. But, Mike a osage boundary like that isn't your typical Florida boundary. They are mini-environments. Animals love it. I personally like looking at them instead of an ugly fence. It provides security like no fence. The only downside is they make a mess with the hedge apples and can be a literal pain to keep trimmed with those thorns.

I hate to see things like this and see it as a bad deal. But, when you live around other people, you have to deal with their actions whether good or bad. Same wit them. Deal with the barking dogs no one sees fit to train or pay attention to. And they gotta deal with you cutting wood etc... It takes an effort from those on the ground so to speak, and one that should be addressed individually not by attorneys. However, when you have that guy that makes no effort, you got two choices if talking with him hasn't gotten it done. One will find you looking through bars, and the other choice is to let him do whatever he wants with no regard to other people and their property.

I imagine the old fella can't see why anyone would want to keep fooling with these trees or he is doing like writer says in some capacity. He's had the ability to get rid of them for a long time it appears and choose not to for one reason or the other. Either way, I assume the OP talked with him before going the route of talking about it here. And if that old timer is getting everything ready for the next generation to replace him, at the cost of the OP's property, than he has no choice but to address it one way or the other. Apparently talking with him isn't working.

If the old man owns the trees, your outta luck. Find the line bud. It is easy to do if you'll pull your deed from the courthouse if you don't have your copy handy. God Bless

10-Aug-14
you've gotten some great personal advice here. Now get some professional advice.

10-Aug-14
Not sure what part of Kansas Thornton lives in. I live in western OK and many of the shelter belts were put in 60+ years ago. These trees are many times ,where I live , the only trees for miles. As a bowhunter in a place with few trees you like to keep every tree you can unless you like hunting out of blinds. It's not advice but if it were mine I'd be standing next to the trees on my side of the fence with heavy artillery.

10-Aug-14

Why not be a good neighbor and not make a big deal out of him cleaning up the fence line as long as he doesn't leave a mess? It's a few trees on an old property line nothing more? There must be more to the story? Has there been bad dealings with this guy in the past? Did he rape your dog and burn your house down? I'm shocked by 2 things about this story. 1 is that you would get on the internet and ask strangers to tell you how to live YOUR LIFE. 2 is that you don't just try to work something out with your neighbor instead of paying LAWYERS and creating a fiasco over and old fence line. Somehow getting worked up over this "as you described it" issue seems trite and insincere. What happened to the days of old when a man looked a man in the eye and worked out their problems with a handshake? Mike

Are you kidding me?! Being a good neighbor isn't sitting back and being a wimp while someone destroys property that may well not even be his. If those trees are right on the line there is no way they will be able to be taken out without adjacent property damage even if they're his, and that is very doubtful from the description given by the OP!

10-Aug-14
"Are you kidding me?! Being a good neighbor isn't sitting back and being a wimp while someone destroys property that may well not even be his.

Who said sit back? Maybe you have trouble with reading comprehension so I'll paste what I previously posted.

"What happened to the days of old when a man looked a man in the eye and worked out their problems with a handshake? Mike"

Pay particular attention to the phrase "looked a man in the eye".... Mike

10-Aug-14
Don't think that even in "the days of old when a man looked a man in the eye and worked out their problems with a handshake" that there still weren't scuffles. The 92 year old in this story was around to see those times, yet it sounds as if he could be being unreasonable. There could be more to the story or it could just be a delusional old man. It's hard for any of us to say. I will say on a different note when they built these shelter belts right up against the fence they were not thinking. Why they couldn't have built these 10-20 yards away from the fence is beyond me. It is hard to maintain a good fence with trees falling on it.

10-Aug-14
Community forum.

10-Aug-14
Florida Mike- I'm glad you live in Florida. You obviously do not know how to interpret a "handshake" lol. They are used when a salutation or agreement is needed. I was hoping there was a Ks lawyer on here. I bought this farm when I was 29 years old and it came with the trees. I'll not have a neighbor tell me he is going to bulldoze trees I paid for. It's not just an "old fence row". Its 440 yards of prime wildlife habitat I shoot quail out of and it keeps his hired hand from being able to shoot into my property from his hill 200 yards away. I already met with both guys BY MYSELF and they tried to railroad me into letting them doze it. The hired hand said he didn't like my attitude when I told him they couldn't do it until I sought legal counsel. Either way, I was hoping someone on here has some good knowledge on this common landowner issue. I am waiting on 2 calls from a surveyor and attorney on Monday and Tuesday.

10-Aug-14
Ask him to leave trees on the line and don't touch on your side.

He has full right to cut anything on his side

10-Aug-14

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Perhaps you could enlist the help of some Californians who now live in the area?

10-Aug-14
You asked for sound advice. Here is the best you will get>

Consult a local attorney who deals in property sales and searches and disregard all other advice you may get on a hunting forum.

10-Aug-14
"The hired hand said he didn't like my attitude when I told him they couldn't do it until I sought legal counsel."

If you don't like my attitude now, start cutting the trees and see how much you like it then.

10-Aug-14
Come on, Jason, hoping to get free advice on here from a Kansas attorney? Haaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa!

Never sure I've heard an attorney utter that "f-word," before!

Again, talk to the pros and good luck.

I completely understand why you're standing your ground. It ain't a lot of land to some people but it's all the land you've got, and you worked hard to get it working two or more jobs.

Don't be rude, don't be crude, don't let 'em run over you now. It won't take nearly as long for the second run-over to occur.

10-Aug-14
You're on the right track, paying professionals now is a small price to pay considering the value of the land you could lose if the guy cuts down trees and hunting habitat.

The 'good old days' Florida Mike is talking about are mostly fairy tale anyway, people have been squabbling about property lines for millenia...

11-Aug-14
Lots of good advice here, and a few good one-liners. ("If you don't like my attitude now, start cutting the trees and see how much you like it then.") Classic.

I totally agree that you need legal representation or at least legal advice. A lawyer is likely to suggest that at a minimum you put your desire to 'have him cut nothing on or over the property line' in writing.

You may also want to take lots of pictures, and write down your recollections of all the conversations so far.

Every time you have a conversation (or a meeting) write down what took place and who said what. It's amazing how much that can impress people later. It's best if the other party has no idea that you have been taking notes, then when you pull out several pages of dated notes and they are speaking strictly from memory; It lends credibility to your position.

Lawyers can cost a lot of money but trying to clear this up later will likely be much worse, so I think you are doing the right thing consulting an attorney and a surveyor.

Also, don't be surprised if some folks give the old man a bit of a pass because he's 92. He may make a good victim, so stay calm and be careful that nobody can accuse you of bullying him.

Good luck, and let us know how things progress.

11-Aug-14
How did it go?

11-Aug-14
Lawyer # 1 told me this morning NOT to have it surveyed. He said the laws of adverse possession apply wherein the hedge has always been recognized as the property line. He said that law applies if the hedge has been there over 15 years. Lawyer #1 referred me to Lawyer #2 who I am going to meet with on Wed. to draft a letter to landowner.

11-Aug-14
I have been involved in a few fence/boundary issues. I would guess the guy would not consider selling. Once the head butting starts, people do not back down. Older folks get something in their head and it stays.

My guess is the guy will simply doze the row down. If Thornton sues him, the judge, who is likely the geezer's son in law, will find geezer 100% at fault and award Mr. Thornton 100$ in damages, to be offset by the cost of the nice new fence, which he will rule that Mr. Thornton will need to pay half for. 6250.00. Then put a lien on his property until paid. Then said judge and said geezer will go have a beer. Kansas Justice. I have seen far worse happen.

11-Aug-14
I may be wrong but whilst growing up in IL farm land the common thing with a who owns what and where was go to the center of said fence YOU own everything on the left side (face the fence) as well as the opposing land owner does the same on his side.

11-Aug-14
I had the same issue with old neighbor I claimed Doctrine of Adverse Possession.

I looked him square in the eye and said by law you now have to remove your for sale sign!!!!

It took us 6 months to work it out! It all worked in my favor! He was stuck making a payment for 6 Months on a house he was trying to flip :0)

I claimed DoAP because I Mowed the backside of the trees for over 21 years ( thank Go dad may me start mowing young)

11-Aug-14

Thornton's embedded Photo
Here a guy driving on my property today. He left the gate down and drove right past my No Trespassing sign. Could possibly be the neighbor.

11-Aug-14

Here is the hedge. Today, on the north end of it, I jumped the biggest buck I have seen out there this year. He was at least 150"s.

11-Aug-14
Lawyers love this stuff !!!!! I can send two guys from the BX and make him a offer he cannot refuse !!

11-Aug-14
I can't believe he'd want to cut that down.

Who wouldn't want a hedge of trees on the edge of their property?

11-Aug-14
Looks like the cops need to be involved.

11-Aug-14
If you lived around farmers your whole life you would understand. Those "evil" trees just keep on growing. Property looks great to me.

11-Aug-14
Wow, I hope you own them outright or they are line trees called for in your deed. I'd cry to lose that hedge row. I bet the deer stick to it like glue when traversing that field.

If that turned out to be the neighbor or his hired help, I'd probably flip sideways at this point. R Hale made a good point about old timers and there way's of thinking. God Bless

11-Aug-14
That heavy machinery- they run on diesel ?

11-Aug-14
Keep us posted, Jason.

Richard may be just a bit jaded since he got sooooooooooo royally screwed out of some great ground, that was clearly his, by a family with very prominent connections in that part of Kansas.

12-Aug-14
I'm not an expert on all land laws in Kansas but I am a Licensed Surveyor in Kansas and Oklahoma. The one thing that I'm pretty sure of is the law of adverse possession can only be decided in a court of law. If there is not a court case in which the hedge row, fence or other physical feature has been determined by a judge as the "property line" then the legal descriptions of the lands still govern the location of the boundary.

Over the years, my research has found that many hedge rows were intentionally planted well on one side of the boundary line. (One was over 100' from the line)

Point is...without a court case stating the hedge row or fence line is the boundary, a land surveyor should locate the legally described line.

12-Aug-14
Even in adverse possession or boundary by practical location cases, you will likely be advised that you need a certified survey detailing the lines and location of the trees. Its the first thing I advise to have done in cases I have had like this (besides obtaining a temporary order to restrain him from taking the trees out before the legalities are determined), because I want to know if I'm making my best legal argument for the client.

Granted, the laws are likely different in your state, but facts are facts. If the survey shows that you own land well beyond the trees, the last thing you want to start out with is an argument that the trees are the boundary line...

12-Aug-14
The documented trespassing could be a big factor and hard for a judge to ignore, even if he is so inclined.

12-Aug-14
Good luck! I can't imagine any sane person wanting to take out that beautiful tree row and wildlife habitat whether they are on his property, yours, or is right on the line. The old guy must be senile! I hope he can be stopped before it's too late and they're gone for eternity!

12-Aug-14
When you meet with Lawyer#2 tomorrow, hopefully he will advise a temporary restraining order to prevent the old goat from dozing down that hedge out of spite.

12-Aug-14
I appreciate the advice but let me clear things up. This guy is NOT senile. He is completely with it and shrewd. He gets around better than many patients I have taken care of that were 30 years younger than him. I watched him put in half a mile of fence 2 summers ago by himself. He would push in the t posts with his tractor bucket and then get out and clip the strung wires to it.

12-Aug-14
I would post the line up no trespassing. There is no way he can doze the line of trees down without trespassing. There is no way he could cut the trees down with a chain saw with out trespassing.

As far as the advice you have gotten. There is some good advice for sure.

As far as hand shakes and such. Well there was a time they worked. They still do however in the times Florida Mike speaks of it was nothing to get heated and out of control as well.

I hope the lawyer has good advice for you.

12-Aug-14
I didn't read other posts but I would start with a survey and then purple paint property line first....

Second...then have conversation regarding your concerns about wanting hedge trees with said landowner after survey...

Thirdly...proceed with lawyer

12-Aug-14
I believe that in Nebraska if there is a hedge row like you talk about that neither land owner can cut the trees down without permission from the other. Trimming the trees back is ok, but not removing them. I hope its that way for you. Good luck.

12-Aug-14
I sure wish I had a neighbor who was willing to build and maintain a new fence. Thornton doesn't realize how fortunate he is!

12-Aug-14
If there's a bustle in your hedge row don't be alarmed now.......

12-Aug-14
John B....a lot more landowners on Bowsite wish they had a good ol' fashioned hedgerow than a new fence.

I'd like to have three of them on our place, strategically placed.

12-Aug-14
I see what you did there, Norseman

12-Aug-14
R. Hale x10. Unfortunately. Once the heels are dug in, you're just beating your head against the wall. Florida Mike, have you ever dealt with an old farmer who has his mind made up? I come from a long line of them. Reason is not a factor. :)

Guys who are interested in hunting love hedgerows. Farmers HATE them. That's a couple more rows of corn and a bigger subsidy check.

Thornton, dig YOUR heels in and stand up for yourself.

13-Aug-14
I meet with lawyer tomorrow at 2 pm to draft letter to neighbor. Neighbor informed me he is going to have it surveyed whether I want to or not. I've done pissed the old guy off.

13-Aug-14
I sure wish I had a neighbor who was willing to build and maintain a new fence. Thornton doesn't realize how fortunate he is!

13-Aug-14
Sounds like the neighbor has money, determination, equipment and a calculating mind. At 92, he likely has a lot of connections in town, too. This just might come down to who can out-spend the other. If you are reluctant or unable to put forth the thousands it will probably take to protect your interests, your end game might be a compromise. It doesn't sound like there are any certainties in the outcome, except some rather significant checks being written. Based on what I know about cranky landowners (I own a farm in Ohio), once he's in...he's all in.

Of course, he could be playing landowner poker with you.

13-Aug-14
Well I hope you get to keep the trees. Personally, I like the look of them and would like the wildlife.

On the other hand, maybe the deer you like hunting are eating a heck of a lot of stuff on his side hence his intense desire to get rid of their transition/cover area.

Who knows? Either way the survey will probably trump all other considerations in regards to property lines but perhaps not to ownership of the trees themselves. I sit on a planning commission and have been to a few trainings regarding property law and the quasi judicial process involving land use. Certainly property laws differ from state to state but, the judicial process if it gets to that point will take many things into consideration the survey being a primary proof property lines and generally provides the legal description in the deed which is proof of ownership. Sometimes however, surveys were not conducted for whatever reason and the deed contains references to landmarks which establish the boundaries and description in the deed.

Believe it or not proof of land ownership is one of the basic foundations of a nation and its economy. They way the land was acquired in the US is a serious point of contention for many tribes and what are known as land grants here in New Mexico. The land grants in particular are notorious for using landmarks while the tribes are using historic range which they have to prove.

Anyway good luck.

13-Aug-14
Nothing wrong with having it surveyed at all. If the surveyor is legitimate, that is a good outcome in my opinion since he is paying for it. Even if you were to lose the trees you really didn't "lose" anything because they weren't yours. I hope it doesn't come to that, and from your description of things it should not.

Just be wary of who he gets to survey it because sometimes the "surveyor" might be on the payroll too, so to speak. I would be researching for a good surveyor right now in case you have to counter. This can and does happen.

13-Aug-14
Getting geezer to survey is a 5k win for Thornton. Even if done wrong, it will cost less to prove it so. I have never seen a surveyor do the made as instructed deal and not identify it as such. It has no doubt happened, but it just is not common. And I have seen about everything else crooked involving fences. This includes God/judges, high ranking intervention and lying mommy church ladies.

The fact that this guy is doing the survey shows he is a seat of the pants guy. Nothing it shows him will benefit his cause. If he were shrewd, which I first suspected, he would have simply removed the row and paid the damages if T sued. Damages would have been far less than survey. Geezer is in poor tactical position now. Down but not out.

13-Aug-14
R.Hale x2 I had the exact same situation on my little acre 5 year ago, I ended up owning a corner of a hayfield the neighbor thought was his. I traded it for the half acre of swamp I though was mine ;-).

13-Aug-14
To Pat Del's post, there is a reason when a farmer auctions his 160 acres in Iowa it brings 25k per acre at times. The hardhead on either side of him will not give up. Coveting thy neighbors property was mentioned quite a while back is an old book.

13-Aug-14
Norseman, best post of this thread so far...

13-Aug-14
Mike, I think many of us agree with you on that issue. At this point, no chance of it happening. You will see I at first took your line of thinking. You do not know these old Dutchmen well. Once they get an idea in their heads, it will not come out. It is a sight to behold.

BTW, IIRC weren't you the guy who sued the outfitter PRIOR to the hunt and bad mouthed him all over the 'net? Guy is a dirtball, but I think you had a far better chance of dealing with him out of court that T does this Dutchman. Your guy is concerned about his reputation and you had leverage. Hardheadedness likely is this guys reputation. He is also likely proud of it and anxious to build upon it.

13-Aug-14
Thornton,

I agree with R. Hale. Neighbor paying for a survey saves you $$$ and takes a step towards settling things once and for all. Here's my question.....if the survey works in his favor, you're gonna know it in a hurry....just about the time that the chain saws or bulldozers show up.....

Here's my question, what is the survey doesn't work to his advantage? Unless you pay for a survey, you'll never be privy to the results, will you? I wonder if offering to split the costs of the survey might be advantageous..... just a thought.....unless FOIL or some state requirement mandates that the survey results be shared with the state.

Unfortunately, the neighbor isn't going to see splitting the survey costs as extending an olive branch, but if it saves him some money....maybe that will outweigh the other factors. Better yet, maybe you could wait until the survey is done.....THEN offer to split the cost of the survey. If he does not agree to splitting the cost, it's probably in your favor (unless he is smart enough to try to recover some $$$ from an investment that didn't pan out....but if he really is hard headed, it may be worth considering).

I'd keep a close eye for the surveyor over the next couple weeks, as well. If you are lucky enough to be available on the day that he conducts the survey, you could watch him as conducts the work....and you could witness the results first hand.....just stay on your side of the property line. Heck, if you know who the surveyor is.....maybe he'd call you when he is preparing to do the survey?

I'd also put up another trail camera facing the other direction, so you can get a photo of the face of the person on the four wheeler....if your property lines allow.....and photograph where the trail camera was positioned. Be sure to use a camera that can be locked, so the memory card isn't suddenly missing (unless you want to put up a camera facing the camera...) I would also get video footage of the portion of the hedgerow in dispute right now......BEFORE any potential action is initiated by the neighbor.....I videoed the contents of my my house for insurance purposes, and video of your assets (aka the hedgerow) couldn't hurt. Just a thought.

13-Aug-14
Jake, The survey must be filed on the record and will become public information to be official. Also, at this point the survey is no longer the property line. The fence/hedge row has established it. That thing did not pop up overnight. It is also very likely to be on the line. Within inches. Survey will not prove beneficial at this point to either party.

13-Aug-14
R. Hale,

The good news is that Thornton just saved some cash.....but now it begs another question.....if the hedgerow was planted 50 feet from a previously surveyed line, does the hedgerow STILL negate the survey? If so, at what distance DOES the survey "trump" the existing hedgerow for property border purposes?

Granted, everyone is assuming that the two are in close proximity.....but it could open a different can of worms, if they aren't.....like the 100' disparity mentioned by Hawg ( a licensed surveyor in Kansas).

Thornton,

Based on Hawg's comments, do you have a copy of the description of that edge of the property? Does it specifically refer to the hedgerow in detail, as a reference for the property line?

13-Aug-14
Actually (R Hale), the survey doesn't HAVE to be filed. If it's not in COG (crusty old guy)'s favor, he can pay the surveyor, tear up the work, and stay silent.

In that case the ball is back in Thornton's court.

In fact, at this point, in his situation, I'd probably have my own surveyor lined up.

13-Aug-14
Fuzzy,

You are partially correct. It is not a requirement to file it. But if not done, it is not a survey, just some lines with no legal implications.

Also, the results of the survey are irrelevant. The trees and fence are the line. Geezer is simply wasting money and not well advised. Nothing positive can come from the survey for him.

13-Aug-14
I'm no attorney, but based on my limited experience and Virginia property law I believe you're correct on the fencerow being the de-facto property line.

I won't quibble over the point about whether a survey is a survey, prior to being recorded. That's all semantics and definition.

13-Aug-14
R.Hale,

A few posts back, you stated...." The survey must be filed on the record and will become public information to be official."

After Fuzzy responded, you posted "You are partially correct. It is not a requirement to file it."

I take that to mean that the survey is only recognized as official IF it is registered with the state...but that the survey itself is not required to filed. The wording could be taken a couple different ways....is that what you meant?

If the survey is irrelevent, because an existing line of trees supercedes the survey, doesn't that open up a bunch of potential for property line disputes? Again, this is based on the premise that the surveyed line, and tree are in close proximity.....and what is the definition of "close proximity"?

With GPS available and affordable, it seems that it would be more accurate than a row of trees....additionally, it could result in encroachment, couldn't it? Trim back the trees on one side of a property line, and let the other side go....the tree line eventually moves...granted, it takes a while....but in this day and age of technology, the way that things used to be done, is hopefully being changed to incorporate some more accurate methods....just wondering out loud.

13-Aug-14
They stake the corners when they survey, coming from a known benchmark. Unless Virginia is the odd duck, there needs to be open and notorious use of the property as well as legal action to change the property line from the current legal description of record, which is the property line that is being shown with the survey. Doesn't matter if the trees are 500' from the line, the line doesn't change till somebody goes downtown with their check book. And then, they'll probably do another survey.

13-Aug-14
I think you ought to hire Florida Mike to keep him distracted with eye contact and hand shakes while you sucker punch him with the attorney.

13-Aug-14
Florida Mike- the more you talk, the denser you sound. I met with the guy and his hired hand IMMEDIATELY the next morning when he told me of his plans. I was alone. It was me vs. those 2 and it got heated. I am a very smart guy. I tried the face to face method first, and it did no good. The good thing is there are no local surveyors in this area so maybe he won't be able to play "the good ole boy" card. R Hale. Survey will cost $1200 for the entire property.

13-Aug-14
Couple of points. Surveyor is not normally the source of getting hometowned. They have a rule book to follow and cannot well get to far off. Pretty good bunch.

If you look at most surveying contracts, you will see it is an estimate. I never get one for the estimate. The will need to reach out to the last known point. It could be miles away and take days to locate depending on area. My last 2K survey cost 7700. Depends on how rural the area and other local survey work done.

Your risk of getting the home town job lies with the judge. The laws are vague and judges can get by with anything. This includes making up testimony the lawyers forgot to bring up. Anything goes. Given the choice, get a jury trial. Harder to find 12 crooked laymen than one crooked judge. :)

13-Aug-14
You don't have to outspend him, just outlive him!

13-Aug-14
Jake,

It is not really a survey until it is filed. The word survey has many legal implications. That is one reason that savvy land traders, ( I am not one BTW ) will often request a firm to "shoot me a line" and get it done for a far lower price than a survey. It is a legal survey when filed at the court house at the Registrar of Deeds Office. Hope that answers your question.

The answers to your later questions are far more complicated. As Writer says I am also biased, jaded or snake bit.

As you say, we should be able to determine exactly where every boundary is. But that only makes half the people happy. So, the other half use other things to make their case. You do not really want to see the list I made so I deleted it.

13-Aug-14
Snake bit, Richard?

How is that possible since you kill every interesting snake you find on your property?

Oooooooh, you mean the two-legged snakes that bit you in the banking account when they basically stole property that was rightfully yours, just because of a relative in a high place?

OK, now it makes sense.

13-Aug-14
1 hour and $100 later, I am now waiting on lawyer to email me the copy of the letter to neighbor.

13-Aug-14
You need a TRO ASAP. More than a letter. If the neighbor were smart, which I at first guessed he was, he would have simply removed the row. You assigned damages would have been about nothing. Now, you might win. Good luck.

13-Aug-14
Ok, thought I was on my lunch hour but I'll reference some of what I do professionally in this post.

1) Take detailed pictures of all of the trees from a variety of perspectives asap for documentation NOW.

2)Get a certified arborst to survey the trees IMMEDIATELY. It is very hard to establish tree condition (and resulting value) when you are dealing with a bunch of debris. Tree by tree, tagged and identified.

3) One of the most common lawsuits between neighbors is over what one neighbor does to the other neighbor's tree without consent. If those trees are on your property and the neighbor destroys or even damages them, he could be liable for many thousands of dollars worth of damages.

4) In CA, a survey is only required to be recorded when a new monument is set. If the monuments are all there, the surveyor does not need to file.

5) A survey is an informed opinion about boundaries. Depending on what point is used as the basis of bearing, two professionals can come up with two different opinions.

6) Surveyors almost always use stakes to mark corners (although these can be offset). Stay on top of the neighbor's surveyor to see where he locates the stakes and take pictures and GPS them.

7) I'd want my own survey 1) to make sure that the guy is competent (ask for references), and 2) so that you have some ammo if his surveyor comes up with a result that appears counter to your interests.

8) A lot of people are alluding to adverse possession. There are three tests that must be met for that to occur. This is where a competent LAND USE Attorney comes into play. R Hale referred to the hometown special. You want the insider who has handled (and wins) these types of cases. A lot of attorneys will imply they are qualified but if they don't have a land use law specialty, they aren't.

9) More land use attorney stuff, even if the property line straddles the trees and some of it grows on his side, there are legal doctrines where he generally can't damage the portion of the trees on his side since that will have an adverse impact on your property interests as well. RHale's comment about finding a local judge to take this position is relevant.

10) The one thing I agree with Florida Mike on is the "why" he is doing this is really important. If he just wants more farm welfare acreage, can you make it worth his while (e.g., purchase or conservation easement) for him to walk away or leave it alone? Everyone has reasons and values. Since those trees have obviously been growing unmolested for decades, what put a bee in this guy's bonnet? I would definitely try to stay on speaking terms with the guy. There are a lot of sneaky ways to kill or damage trees and you don't want him going commando on you (another reason to have an arborist evaluate the trees now).

11) You might consider planting some trees on your (unquestioned) property in case worse comes to worse.

Back to work work

13-Aug-14
These neighbor issues usually don't end well. Good luck but expect it to continue until the trees are dead, unfortunately. This type of dispute is why farmers hate to have nonfarmers for neighbors. You can see in the post above how those trees are using up water that the corn could be using.

13-Aug-14
Yea, the guys 92. Somethings got him going.

13-Aug-14
just curious since we have proven people needing legal advise come to the bowsite................

do people needing bowhunting advice head to the amaerican bar association web page.

13-Aug-14
Yes...

13-Aug-14
I just need to clean my iPad Bou. Thanks. Lol

13-Aug-14
He is a farmer and a rancher. The corn is mine and not even close to the hedge. There is prime native grass and brome on both sides of the hedge.

13-Aug-14
Thornton, There was sarcasm meant about the corn. If all the old guy has next to you is pature, maybe you will get lucky and a simple letter and survey will clean the problems up. It does however seem that old farmers are as hard headed as they come sometimes. Good luck.

13-Aug-14
Actually R Hale, trees are worth a ton of money, especially full grown and established ones. It's hard to tell how big they are, but I bet trees the size of the ones in his picture would cost $2,000-3,000+ apiece to replace, if a lawsuit for damages came to that...

14-Aug-14
Geez, lets hope it doesn't come to lawsuit and damages.

Hang in there,Thorton. Something tells me you can be a bit bullheaded too, when you feel you're right. :-)

14-Aug-14
Wow! This thread was an exhausting, but entertaining read. It reminded me of a Dateline, or Frontline or 20/20 or some similar show that was on TV recently about one old guy in California shooting his neighbor because he wanted to cut down some trees or shrubs and the neighbor didn't want him to.

My first suggestion (not to be perceived as legal advice as I am not an attorney) would be to get the heck out of Kansas! Don't go to California though...things are waaay worse there. Don't come to New Mexico either. We have other issues like the legality of trespassing across private land so long as you only walk in the stream. Maybe you should move to Wyoming? They have plenty of streams, plenty of trees, and not-quite-yet plenty of Californians. Take what you are about to pay in legal fees (and lost property value should you lose the legal battle) and re-appropriate those funds into a relocation account.

That's my $.02. If you choose not to take my advice and things don't go your way, I won't expect you to pay me back...consider the debt forgiven. LOL

Good luck! I truly hope it works out in your favor.

14-Aug-14
Does he have cattle on his side of the fence?... or is it his intention to put cattle there?

14-Aug-14
I have something to say.It is as much his fence row as it is yours.Good luck, hope it will all work out.

14-Aug-14
In Kansas, Surveyors are required to file surveys when the survey and legal description establishes a new tract of land. Surveys of existing legal descriptions are not required to be filed and often aren't unless done by the client.

With that being said...Certified surveys are legal documents that hold weight in court. I've had several of my surveys presented in court as "legal", therefore considered a real survey.

I'm working on one now with similar implications where one land owner removed a half mile of hedgerow and the farmers are arguing on where the line is...It won't be filed in the Register of Deeds before the court date, but is still considered a "real" survey.

14-Aug-14
Thorton I know some problems must be ironed out with Lawyers. My advise was to exhaust every method possible before paying Lawyers.

I looks like you have tried the face to face tactics and it didn't work. Sometimes thats how it is. Looks like now your Lawyer makes money, his Lawyer makes money and most likely neither you nor your crotchety old neighbor will be happy with the outcome. I say that because if you keep the fence row intact then you had to pay for those trees twice(once when you bought the property and again to the Lawyer to protect them). If the fence row is removed then the crotchety old guy had to pay twice...

Its a bad situation. I hope it works out to your liking. Mike

14-Aug-14
Thorton I do have one question for you.Which side of the trees is the fence nailed ,your side or his side?

14-Aug-14
Fence goes through the middle. If you are familiar with osage orange or "hedge trees" you will understand that they often branch at the trunk if not kept trimmed. In this fence, there are many trees that we share the trunk on and I told the guy he could trim his side as long as the tree was not destroyed.

14-Aug-14

Here is one of many trees that envelope the fence.

14-Aug-14

A look from the south end gives perspective how wide it is. I own the right hand side.

14-Aug-14
It would sure be nice to know exactly why the old guy wants to take out the trees and put up a new fence. If he has no cattle or other critters to keep in on his side, it seems as though that rules out that reason. If he doesn't plant crops on the property that he could get a few more rows of corn or something up to the line if the trees were gone, it would seem that reason is also negated. I know I grimace every time I see farmers taking out these treerows and it's happening more and more up here. Most of the time it seems like it's just to get a few more feet of crops planted, while the trees were left there to mitigate erosion problems and, in turn, also make great habitat for all sorts of critters.

14-Aug-14
Could you offer to pay for the new fence on his side of the trees if he leaves the trees alone?

14-Aug-14
"Actually R Hale, trees are worth a ton of money, especially full grown and established ones. It's hard to tell how big they are, but I bet trees the size of the ones in his picture would cost $2,000-3,000+ apiece to replace, if a lawsuit for damages came to that... "

A lot of people could retire early selling hedge trees for that!

That's firewood and usually ends up in wood stove or a brush pile.In reality some people can't give it away fast enough.....

14-Aug-14
Is that a 3-wheeler you are driving?

14-Aug-14
Genesis, I've actually been to autions where they are selling osage fence posts (just branches cut from the trees) that are going from $11-13 each. Each of those trees contains a lot of fence posts. Maybe thats what he intends to do with them?

14-Aug-14
Shiras...I quoted another poster not the landowner.

The market is in the labor/delivery for fence posts especially if a guy can get the trees for free.I bet the guy selling those posts didn't pay $2,000-$3,000 a tree and most likely didn't pay anything at all.

14-Aug-14
We didn't get $2,000-$3,000 per tree, even on the high-end, the last time we had walnut lumbered off our property!

14-Aug-14
"Is that a 3-wheeler you are driving?"

It is unless there are more or less than two wheels on the rear, LOL! There are lots of them still out there that people bought before they quit making and selling them.

14-Aug-14
One of the main features of trees is it takes decades to get to a certain size and stature. In many (most) caes you can't simply replace mature trees in kind. Even if you can, the larger and more mature the tree, the trickier it is to get them established where you can leave them alone. Golf course deal with this on occasion and it costs tens of thousands of dollars per tree. How do you put a dollar value on nesting habitat for quail that Thornton has previously hunted out of those trees, or the value of the mast that the deer use? What about the screening value? How long does it take an Osage Orange to grow to 40 feet it looks like some of them are? If/when those trees go, most of those values will be lost for decades. Thornton, why did Old92 say he wanted them out, or did he?

14-Aug-14
ok, I promised myself to keep my trap shut on this one, but to quote comedian Ron White:

"Now at that point, I had the right to remain silent. But I didn't have the ability"

1) it doesn't matter whether these trees are worth 3 grand, 3 bucks, or 3 cents. They have value to Thornton, they are on his property, and he wants them to stay on his property.

2) The "old guy"'s motivation to clear the row, likewise is immaterial. Thornton doesn't want it cleared, and it's on his property.

3) If, as it seems, the fence IS the property line, either in fact, by prior survey, or in lght of it having been the accepted property line for several decades, yes, the trees areas as much "the old guy's" as they are Thornton's. That point being conceded, half-ownership of a living tree doesn't give one half-owner the right to kill the tree. Were the trees not there, and the half-owner wanted to plant them, he would need permission from the other half-owner. Likewise, existing line-trees are protected by the rights of either owner.

4) If these trees are causing damages, inconvenience, or a nuisance to "the old guy", it seems fair he should have to claim such damages, prove the damages, and ask Thornton for remedy.

I'm done.

14-Aug-14
A judge in Ks will have no issue valuing these trees. And the value will be less than the cost of a new wire fence. Far less. Hope it does not come to that.

About the post, many trees have no post at all. The key is straight limbs or trunks for 9-10 ft, and of usable size. Not too small or two large. These traits are not the norm. Piles of Osage Orange trees are lit every day in Ks. They are considered a noxious tree. The state sells seedlings but you will not see them listed in the catalog due to the threats they would get. Same with Eastern Red Cedar.

14-Aug-14
Does he have cattle on his side of the fence?... or is it his intention to put cattle there?

15-Aug-14
He does run cattle on his side of the fence. Randy- If a landmark is recognized as a property line for at least 15 years, it will stand as such by adverse possession regardless of what a survey shows. I can guarantee the line is very close to what it already shows in at least 1 to 4 feet +/-.

15-Aug-14
If he does run cattle my opinion is let him build the new fence. They can be a nightmare keeping in with an old fence and cattle will ruin a good food-plot or a hunt in no time. Even with only one cow out it can really damage a food-plot quickly if it's wet. Been there and done that on my own property... with my dads cows.

As mentioned before I would, at a minimum, ask to buy a few feet on his side so that he can build a fence... and then keep it cleaned up for him. OR maybe ask to share some of the cost of the fence, or maintain it, if he's willing to leave the trees. From my experience, the trees are not worth the risk of having cattle on your side of the fence... just my opinion.

I do hope you get this worked out either way. Property lines can be extremely frustrating.

16-Aug-14
This is an interesting thread. I know of 2 local line disputes in the past couple of years that turned ugly. One involved a fist fight and arrest, and the other a murder. Hard to believe, or maybe not, but one old farmer ran down another old farmer with his truck over a line dispute. The murderer is currently in prison.

It seems like things in this situation are being handled properly, I mention these incidents just to show that sometimes when an old farmer gets something in his head, there is no changing it, legal or not. I hope things work out in your favor Thornton. I'd sure hate to lose those trees myself.

16-Aug-14
Just get the case in court. He'll likely just proceed if you don't have a TRO and the trees will be gone.

17-Aug-14
The dozer and the track hoe that was sitting in his driveway is now gone and nowhere on his 400 acres.

17-Aug-14
I already own hedge so why would I try to rebuy it again?

18-Aug-14
genesis, I was just talking about the price of replacing an established tree with another just like it, it takes big equipment and big trees are not cheap at nurseries. I looked into it when my neighbor destroyed my trees...

20-Aug-14
So where are you at with this now Thornton?

20-Aug-14
Thorton,

It is my understanding that you own half the hedge, not the whole hedge row (both sides of the fence line). I think what Randy was trying to say was to buy the remaining half (as well as others who are referencing 1/2 mile by 16 1/2 feet to purchase from the other owner of the hedge row.)

Again, you are not rebuying your half, but buying his half.

20-Aug-14
Maybe offer the landowner besides to purchase the entire hedgerow, add a free barbed-wire fence.

In a few years, pinch one area and the deer will cross there. Create a funnel, new hunting spot, better terms with you neighbor.?

20-Aug-14
If you guys knew any old KS farmer you would know that purchase is out of the question. Guy wants it gone. I am surprised he did not just remove it. He would have had no consequences. None.

20-Aug-14
The guy went to the county commission and they are supposed to come inspect the fence. I do not believe he told them I got a lawyer.

20-Aug-14
Thornton,

I have been through that as well. It is called a fence viewing. The CC have no legal opinion on the hedge row or boundary. Only issue they can decide is if a "legal fence" exist and if not, assign a portion to each neighbor to maintain. The guy is not getting good advice and if the CC's go beyond the issue of a legal fence, you have them as well. Legal fence is 3 barbwire strands. No more is required.

20-Aug-14
....its just a Spring clean for the May Queen.....

21-Aug-14
"if there's a bustle in the hedgerow, don't be alarmed now"

21-Aug-14
Well, this farmer finally has a rainy day today. So, I am going to chime in here. This thread should have been removed as soon as posters began referring to a 92 year old man as a stubborn "geezer". You don't have to be old to be stubborn or a geezer. To prove it, just take a look at Thornton! Show a little respect for a 92 year old man who has likely worked 7 days per week much of his life. Especially, if he is a livestock producer.

I agree with Florida Mike. There is more to this story than the Thornton is telling us. In Thornton's first post he mentions his neighbor's age of 92 years. Age has nothing to do with this issue. Definitely a grudge in there somewhere. I would like to hear what Mr 92 has to say.

Mr 92 made Thornton a very generous offer. Free tree removal, free survey and free materials and labor. Now, Thornton might spend 5-10 thousand dollars on legal fees when he could have used that money to improve habitat on his own property. The trees have monetary value only as fire wood and maybe, a few wood posts. And, I am told, hedge apples have little value as food for wildlife (bowsiters stated this on another thread). If it were me, I would have begun improving the land when it was purchased 11 years ago.

Thornton doesn't want a new fence but, if the neighbor's cattle get out, Thornton is going to complain as well. You can't have it both ways. At some point you have to step up and do your part! You can't blame a neighbor for wanting a new fence. We all know, "good fences make good neighbors"!

Contrary to popular belief on this website, farmers do not hate trees. We do however recognize the fact that there is a place to grow trees and there are places where they don't belong. There is a time to plant a tree and there is a time to harvest it. Over the years, I have planted several thousand myself. By hand I might add.

Adverse possession came into effect some 200 years ago when the US was giving away land. If you could prove you were caring for and maintaining a parcel of land for a period of time it became yours for free. It is an out dated law that should no longer be used except when an easement is involved. Today, a person should not be able to claim land he has never paid property taxes on. An earlier poster boasted how he used adverse possession to claim property simply because he mowed the grass for 21 years. What a jerk!

I am amazed how posters on this website place such a high value on marginal trees yet, consider a cordial relationship with your neighbor as being worthless. Thornton, what are you going to do when your wounded 150" buck crosses the fence and dies on Mr 92's land? Are you going to ask permission to recover your deer? Or, are you the type who will sneak across the line to get it then act as if it never happened and pretend it is the neighbor who is "unethical"?

It has been mentioned that there was a conversation between both parties that quickly became heated. Of course, it was the other guy who started it. I understand that. It doesn't matter who started it. It has been my experience that there is never a reason to raise your voice. A person who is yelling tells me they are weak and afraid of the person they are yelling at. It is far more productive to remain calm. Raising your voice is comparable to throwing gas on a fire. You make the problem worse. Try it sometime. The next a fool yells at you, remain calm. Maintain a steady tone in your voice. The hot tempered person will become frustrated and eventually relax as well. He/she will become embarrassed and feel like the idiot they are. It works every time. No one wins when either or both are yelling. Far more productive to remain calm. I won't let a fool bring me down to their level. I recommend, having another conversation with Mr 92. Tell him you want to start over. Search for some common ground. Compromise. Leave the testosterone in your pocket where it belongs.

Free advice is often very expensive. What you need to do is man-up. Follow your gut. Not the free advice given on a hunting website. Do your part in maintaining a relationship with your neighbor. You have 2 or three other neighbors. Are you going to take them to court as well when the topic of their fences come up in the future? It is just a matter of time.

A 40 year old man should be capable of being a good neighbor without the need for free internet advice. Make your own decisions. Try to put yourself in Mr 92's position. If you need advice, pay for it. Treat your neighbor the way you want to be treated.

When I first wrote this, I wrote "young geezer" when ever I referred to Thornton. As I proof read it, I changed it. I don't want to stoop to bowsite's level. :) As mentioned earlier, this thread should have been removed as soon as the 92 year old was referred to as a geezer.

Life is simple. It is people who make it difficult on themselves. I wish both parties the best!

21-Aug-14
oh my! :-)

21-Aug-14
John B, you make some good points, but where I grew up the 92-year-old farmers and ranchers tended to treat the young 'upstarts' the same way, step all over them until they finally pushed back...Thornton is not out of line simply having the legal limits defined, that's the 'life is simple' part of it.

21-Aug-14
I guess we can tell who are farmers and who are not.

21-Aug-14
"Oh my" is right! There is no need to "improve" that property in the photo other than leaving it alone as an erosion barrier and wildlife habitat enhancer. Farmers that are taking these types of tree rows out are IMHO just doing it for room to plant a few more rows of crops and nothing else. To say this thread should have been removed for the reasons stated by John B is ridiculous. The "Geezer" wants to violate the law in taking that treerow out when it appears it's not completely his to do so. To chastize the OP for wanting to maintain his property rights is crazy!

21-Aug-14
thank him for gettin rid of the old fence cause it will make it easier to fence in your proposed pig lot.

21-Aug-14
"thank him for gettin rid of the old fence cause it will make it easier to fence in your proposed pig lot."

Huh? Why that probable unfounded comment?

21-Aug-14
John B, So exactly how is Thornton, not being a good neighbor? The neighbor wants to remove the trees for what ever his personal reasons are. Thornton wants the trees to stay because they add habitat for the wildlife. (Bowsite is a wildlife site considering we are archery hunters) As far as why the tread, why ask here. It is relating to habitat for wildlife in which we hunt. Sometimes we ask questions to people that can relate to a certain subject. Lets not forget that Bowsite is a family in a roundabout way. I see no reason why Pat or anybody needs to delete this thread. There are a lot worse allowed. I come from a farming background. Sure farmers like trees as long as they dont interfere with there crops.

Way to many trees being pushed over these days by bulldozers just to farm another acre.

21-Aug-14
Amazing the opinions given from hearing only one side of a story.

21-Aug-14
Just imagine what the 92 year old is calling Thornton as he parades around town. Seeing he has so much life experience, perhaps he should have come talk to Thornton and remain cool and collected with a low voice and explain his reasonings and then thrive to work things out in a civil manner with Thornton. I'm with Thornton on this one.

21-Aug-14
John B your right age has nothing to do with this...but the problem with your post are the facts...Thornton doesn't want to improve his habitat by removing the trees. I think he made that perfectly clear in his posts...Mr92 shouldn't be touching any tree, valuable or not until we find out exactly who owns them and what can be done legally... a new fence you say, sure have at it, but keep it on your side and don't touch the trees...and oh lets not forget the picture of Mr92 riding on a 4 wheeler on Thornton's property

21-Aug-14
I cannot confirm that the guy on the 4-wheeler is said neighbor. I've asked several neighbors and nobody will admit to it. As for "who is a farmer" I have 50 acres of corn on this place and 3 acres of food plots.

21-Aug-14
John B.- The neighbor never offered to move the hedge for free and I never said that. He wanted me to pay for half, with one days notice.

21-Aug-14
John B. Your rant is ill-informed. I am 33, not 40. I attempted to speak with the neighbor and his hired hand the very next morning and it got me nowhere. I did not yell or cuss which is probably the reason they got mad. I am a very calm and collected person. I bought the farm to farm and to hunt. It has 53 tillable acres of which 50 acres are corn. I have to be calm as I am an ER RN and I am in very stressful situations almost every day at work. At least once a week, I am involved a life or death situation, something I highly doubt you can relate to. I find it odd, you being a farmer and all, trying to paint a picture of what happened with so little data. I have gotten some very good advice on here via PM by a large landowner that has dealt with the same issues and several other folks. The advice was so good in fact, that the guy has not dozed the hedge yet and he removed the heavy equipment he was going to use.

21-Aug-14
Hmm not sure why he would involve the county commission. They can approve exceptions to zoning ordinances through public hearing and vote. They cannot however, violate land use laws and can in fact create a huge liability problem for the county if they do. One thing certain, a good neighbor policy is best but sometimes the law has to invoked to keep those relations good.

26-Aug-14
Any update? Curious to hear how this pans out.

27-Aug-14
This thread sure does remind me to be appreciative of the spectacular neighbor's I have! I only own just over a couple acres so the properties in my neighborhood aren't worthy of real hunting or farming. Even so, I am so fortunate to have the best neighbors a person could ever hope for.

Last Saturday when I got home from work my neighbor was mowing my field. He knows I like to keep it mowed during the summer, but my work schedule hasn't allowed me to keep up with it. He was doing it for me....with a smile. In the winter when we have a big snow, I sometimes wake to a completely cleared driveway (a few hundred feet long). If I'm the first one up, my neighbor's are the recipients of free snow removal. I talk to one neighbor regularly (he's a hunting guide). The others, I hardly ever speak to. Even so, random acts of kindness abound! We rarely say thank you with words. It's not necessary. We all just seem to make every effort to return a kind gesture whenever the opportunity arises.

It's not appropriate where I live to pass a vehicle or even a kid riding a bike without a smile and a wave. As neighbors walk in the evenings down the dirt road in front of my house they sometimes stop to watch me shoot my bow. When I'm practicing from 70 or 80 yards (simply for the purposes of practice) I'm nearly on the road. My neighbors are always encouraging and always wish me luck during the upcoming season.

I would love to own a huge property....a large tract of land. As it is though, I've just got a property consisting of a few little acres...surrounded by some really great folks whom I am glad to call my neighbors.

Many who follow this thread can relate to the farmer vs. farmer or farmer vs. hunter tone. For many others though, we live in cities or suburbs or apartments. We live in a day and age where we communicate via forums and e-mails and twitter and facebook. Some of us have online conversations with people halfway across the country every day and yet we don't know the next-door neighbor by first-name. Perhaps this thread might remind us the value of being a good neighbor? If you don't know your neighbor(s) this would be a great time to make an introduction. Exchange phone numbers and let them know you are available if ever he/she needs something. Also let them know you are a hunter. For those of us in more urban environments there is a strong likelihood that the neighbor is not a hunter. When that neighbor learns you are a hunter and you are also a great neighbor it's amazing how his/her view of hunting can be altered. It's just a little thing but sometimes it's the little things that can have the greatest impact.

27-Aug-14
Good post arctichill.

--Bill

27-Aug-14
Arctic- I'm glad to hear your yard is like Mayberry. Where my wife and I live in town, we have the same thing. We saved our neighbor's life when he was having a heart attack. He buys us dinner almost every week and I trim his yard for free. The lady next door gives us banana bread. The family across the street let us use their shower when our bathroom was being remodeled. We watch their kids when they go out and they invite us over for dinner and a movie once in a while. The whole neighborhood is very friendly. So friendly in fact, I will be reluctant to move to the country someday. My farm on the other hand is a different story. I'm a very giving, friendly guy until you try to bully me.

27-Aug-14
Agree that good neighborly relations are a huge plus, and deserve effort to cultivate them. That's why I was wondering about 92's motivation. Sometimes there's two ways to skin a cat, or as has been pointed out, sometimes not. In that case, you go in armed with the facts and your legal rights (whatever they are worth). Thornton, as long as you can keep the status quo going, you're going to outlive the guy.

27-Aug-14
We used to have great neighbors, and then our farm got surrounded by Kansas City moving westward.

- a neighbor putting a gate in our common fence so his buddies could ride four-wheelers on our property and fish our pond.

- neighbor calling three rural fire departments when we were burning the switch grass on our dam, with the wind taking the fire into the 15 acre lake.

- neighbor with a motion detector that goes off when a squirrel runs across their yard.

- neighbors, who don't allow hunting, get mad when we kill "their" deer, on our property, in our cropfields, during the seasons.

- neighbors that patrol up and down the fence line, firing a pistol into the air when we have coon hunters on our side of the line at night.

- neighbors granting permission to others to fish in our lake.

Hang tight, Thorton. You worked hard to get that land, especially at your young age.

I remember when our place in the country had neighbors like you do in town, for many miles around.

27-Aug-14
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This morning after I get home from working 12.5 hours of midnights I step on my bathroom scale and look out my window and see my new neighbor walking his two dogs. One takes a shit in my yard. No big deal he will pick it up NO!!!!! he starts walking off.

I throw on some pajama bottoms and follow him down the street yelling at him that this isnt the Obama neighborhood and he is not entitled to just let his dog shit in my yard and expect me to clean it up! He tells me he has no problems using his hands to settle a argument! I look at him and start laughing and say Fella you have no idea who in the hell you are talking to! I really didnt want to fight because my hand was broken drom St. pattys day from beating the living hell out of my ex brother in law and it still has excessive nerve damage.

I told him his dog isnt allowed in my yard and the only yard his dog is entitled to shit in is his own!

I walk home grab a shovel and give the old heave HO! and it splatters all over his driveway!

I go in and go to bed. I hear my door bell ring and he says I see you cleaned it up where did you put it and I will remove it! I look at him and say "Will you answer me one question? He says sure what is it? I asked did you or did you not vote for Obama?"

He says I am not going to answer that. I told him you are not entiteld to use my property for anything especially to allow you dog to shit in my yard!

He says OK I get your point where is the shit at and I will remove it. I said It is where it belonged in the first place! He says where is that?

I said on your F@&%$%&*^ property you freaking elitist! Then I point upwards to my survelience syatem and say "Yes your actions today are all on fill now get your entitlement thinking ass off my property and never step back on it again!!!!!!

I watch him walk over he is looking in his grass and steps right in his very own dog shit! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh How well I went to sleep after that!

27-Aug-14
Sad part is about 3 months ago I find a note taped on the drivers window asking me to move my F250 Supercrew truck because she has a hard time backing her car out of her driveway? Its a freaking pruis for peates sake! I said no problem I will move it if its an issue? We have an extremely wide street and I have scratched my head thinking how difficult is it to back a pruis or his Civic out of the driveway and my truck be across the street on top of the curb at that?

Well guess what all 9000 lbs of old Blue is parked right across from her driveway.

27-Aug-14
Sounds like you need a hug and a cookie Kelly. In that order. It's ok buddy. Liberals. They're everywhere. You still have friends on our side :)

27-Aug-14
Hey my dad is a staunch democrat but he has enough respect to never do anything like that!!!

27-Aug-14
Kelly, you are my kinda guy !

27-Aug-14
That old guy I was talking about whose life we saved lets our dogs shat in his yard. Our dogs are like his grandkids and we walk them over to a distant corner of his yard twice a day. He sits on his porch and yells "Water'em down Shadow!" every time my lab pees on his bushes. Great old guy.

29-Aug-14
The lady came over today and apologized for her guest.

She said Kelly he said he was going back to clean it up?

I said Peggy all I know is a watched a grown man watch the dog he was walking shit in my yard and walk off.

I asked her if she ever saw Morgans dog Chloe ever poop in her yard? She replied No I have not!

I replied that is because we feel the only place our dog should poop is on our property. I said Peggy its like this I won this property you do not correct? Then as the landowner I dont want your dogs pooping in my yard! I said I will make a deal with you if you make just one of my house payments 1500.00+ a year your dog can poop in my yard and you dont have to clean it up I will.

I told her how the house to the left of my puts their dogs on a leash and only lets them shit in their own yard!

She chuckled and said Kelly I see where your coming from its your yard and not mine!

We gave each other a hug and I asked her if she needed a case of beer for the weekend and she said she does not drink! :0)

29-Aug-14
She must only drink fine wine. You guys remind me how grateful I am to not have neighbors.

29-Aug-14
I like to remember the "Golden Rule" whenever possible. A lot of people out there with big egos and anger management problems. Words can be very hurtful and damage relationships forever. Never know when that neighbor may be helping you out when you are in need, or comforting you in a time of loss or dealing with a serious illness of a family member etc... Nothing good comes from raising your voice and cursing at people when maybe you "over-reacted". Thorton you are going about it in the right way have the legal system hash it out. Mean people suck! Not only that, you never know how the person who is under attack may react. I think it's rather twisted to take pride in knowing you ruined someone else's day/night because you reacted poorly-when maybe you really didn't know all the facts at the time. IMO

29-Aug-14
The county commissioners have decided to do a fence viewing on Tuesday in order to determine if it is an adequate enclosure. If they rule it is inadequate, all they can do is say it needs fixed. They cannot order me to allow neighbor to doze hedge. I'm not sure what good this is going to do him because I already told him I would patch or put in my half of the fence as long as the hedge was not dozed.

30-Aug-14
See if your attorney can get some type of injunction to hold him off. At 92 he can't live forever Your place is beautiful and this guy don't need the money. Sounds like his kin trying to get everything exchanged into cash I know this sounds cruel but at 92 somebody else is pushing this old gentleman.

P.S. It's amazing every time a thread gets started it turns into perosnal issues between others! Just get an ATTORNEY

30-Aug-14
Lots of opinions. From farmers and non farmers. Some good points in those opinions. But opinions are biased towards ones profession or where they stand on this. Not the law.

A survey is the right thing. A survey will not trump deed calls. A survey is an estimate based on deed calls. That's it. However, a licensed surveyor is needed to determine where that estimate is to hold up in court.

Arborist's don't determine the value of rural trees. Foresters do. Big difference in the two.

I don't now the whole story but, it looks to me that you have handled it correctly. Trying to talk it out didn't work. And by just letting him do it unknowing of who truly owns it isn't correct either. I suppose farmers think they know best what to do with your potential stuff. They don't. They just know it is easier than keeping that hedge row cut back to get their equipment closer to the line if the trees aren't there.

It is obvious that the guy either knew he owned it or didn't care if it was the line. He decided he wanted them gone and was prepared to remove them on sheer intimidation. That is where the bull head Gheezer comments come from. People don't like being bullied. By anyone, even farmers. So, if you think he has handled it wrong based on you being a farmer, your probably full of yourself.

Bottom line is the farmer obviously didn't know where the line was or that the line was the hedge row in question defined by the fence in it. Either way, he is at fault for just saying he was going to remove the trees without first working at a resolution with Thornton.

I'm betting he thought the trees were the line or close to it. But, wasn't certain of it, so he decided to just bluff his way into what he wants. I understand this guy is a hard working fella that deserves respect but, not free reign at someone else's expense. Old timers have a unique way of seeing things their way and a built in response to any young man who makes a living doing something other than farming in farm country. I personally understand his desire to want the trees gone but, he had the right to buy the property as well as Thornton to determine the fate of that hedge row. He didn't do it. So he is left with trimming it back on his side assuming that row is the line, if Thornton wants to keep it intact.

I understand being neighborly too. However, Thornton bought his property for him, not 92 and his wishes. One more thing, check the survey well that it matches the deed calls in direction. Get online and find the declination for the area and ensure if deed calls exist for that line, it follows them. Then, it will be what it is. God Bless

31-Aug-14
Not sure on KS but in Iowa it illegal to trim,remove or otherwise harm boundary trees without consent from both property owners. We also have treble damages.

I would have your trees assessed.

31-Aug-14
Oh, and for the record arborists do determine the value of trees. I know because I am one, have been trained to do it and I assess trees on a regular basis for homeowners, businesses and insurance companies.

04-Sep-14
I have been following this thread pretty closely as I have a friend in a similar situation. How are things working out?

04-Sep-14
Random thought - if this 'gentleman' is going to the County Commissioners, it might not hurt to talk to them and find out what's putting a bee in his bonnet. Sometimes a third party can help the two directly involved parties come to terms. Thornton, everything you've said seems reasonable, and you are willing to explore options. If this guy isn't completely stuck on one postion, a negotiated outcome could be worth the effort. Even if negotiation isn't possible, having the Commissioner hear your side of the story and how you are willing to work on a mutually acceptable solution will show that you for one are reasonable. It might also answer the 'why' question.

05-Sep-14
For one, him going to the county commissioners was pointless. They do not have the authority to order a shared hedge removed. All they can say is if the fence needs replaced, which part of it does. I met with them and the neighbor Tuesday morning and told them I would help replace half the fence as long as no trees were removed. There is "no bee in his bonnet" other than he wants to doze the hedge to make it easier to build a fence. One commissioner tried to exhibit power he does not have by eluding that the neighbor could get away with dozing the fence. I informed them all that the neighbor could have gotten away with it if he hadn't asked first. I told them that since I did not give my permission, and I posted the property,any attempts to remove the hedge would be a case of criminal trespass of which the Sheriff is already aware of. One commissioner liked the trees, the third commissioner reminded the other two that all they could do was make a ruling on whether the fence needed replaced. They said they would send both parties an official letter on their recommendations after the fence viewing.

09-Sep-14
so how did this turn out?

10-Sep-14
I have yet to get the letter or hear from the neighbor.

10-Sep-14
"I informed them all that the neighbor could have gotten away with it if he hadn't asked first."

Ah yes, the old "better to seek forgiveness, than to ask permission" routine......looks like he burned that bridge...LOL

10-Sep-14
so how did this turn out?

10-Sep-14
He would have gotten sued but he would have completed his objective to clear the fence.

12-Sep-14
Maybe you're at the phase where you can tell 92er that you-all should rebuid the fence together and split costs. It he agrees, it will get the work on your schedule when you can make sure the work doesn't the trees; and maybe you won't end up enemies. Easy for me to say though.

13-Sep-14
I saw in the paper the commissioners ruled the fence needs replaced. I will replace my half and he will replace his without dozing the hedge.

13-Sep-14
Sounds like a good outcome!

• Sitka Gear