glass eye 21-Aug-14
Rick M 21-Aug-14
beekeeper 21-Aug-14
Beendare 21-Aug-14
wkochevar 21-Aug-14
R. Hale 21-Aug-14
deserthunter 21-Aug-14
18-Aug-14
Taking some needles and 91% isopropyl alcohol to inject the antlers if I get lucky. I think I read here that alcohol is the easiest to transport etc. Any tips or tricks I should know? Never did it before, so let's hear it.

21-Aug-14
It's the blood inside that putrefies. Rather than injecting the blood vessels I would rather drain the blood by poking holes in it. You can drive numerous small nails or brads through a thin piece of wood to create a spike strip and make quick work of bleeding it.

21-Aug-14
Get in touch with a Taxi. Dennis Razza is a Bowsite sponsor.

21-Aug-14
Rick M.....I am a taxidermist, have been for 39 years. Not a sponsor, not trying to spam my work, just giving my opinion. I leave soon for a bou hunt and that's what I'll do if I get one in velvet.

21-Aug-14
And there you have it:) I have been given different advice from injecting to Borax but never bleeding out only. Makes sense.

21-Aug-14
I did a caribou rack years ago. I hung it upside down and poked it with a nail on the ends to drain the blood. I injected it using a heavy taxidermy needle for the main veins and a fine diabetic needle for the tough to get to spots. I injected about every square inch. Don't skimp with the injecting. The extra fluid helps drain the blood out. I also wrapped it with cheese cloth and duct tape for transport. When I got home I washed the outside with isopropyl alcohol to make the velvet stand up. It looks great.

21-Aug-14
I did one 20 years ago with Formaldehyde which was recommended at the time..and I wouldn't recommend it, that stuff is nasty. Every one that sees it wants to touch it and I have to stop em.

21-Aug-14
Has anyone heard of just letting the blood drain out of the skull plate and treating the entire rack (pump spraying) with a velvet preservative then drying?

21-Aug-14
Anyone think of letting antlers fully develop and shed velvet?

21-Aug-14
Be careful about doing a internet search on injecting velvet. The is some bad stuff that shows up.

• Sitka Gear