Ohvaco 21-Aug-14
Fulldraw1972 21-Aug-14
Jaquomo 21-Aug-14
Elk Dog 23-Aug-14
Elk Dog 23-Aug-14
Backpack Hunter 24-Aug-14
Maui Rhino 25-Aug-14
21-Aug-14
How do yall charge your batterys on camera and stuff like that when your out in field for extended time

21-Aug-14
i use a automotive jump pack that has 12v and 110 outlets at base camp, you can get deal that you charge and then you take with you, not sure what called, like $20. You charge this device then take it with you for mobile charging.

21-Aug-14
Goal zee solar panel and power cell. I have the nomad 7 and switch 8

21-Aug-14
As GameEar said, Goal Zero solar charger is the ticket. I used mine last year in CO. In the AM I set it up outside my tent to face the sun in the southern sky and I lean it a bit to keep rain off the back electronics (rain is OK on the solar panel). Come in at night and connect my iPhone then GoPro and charge 'em up. Worked perfectly. I love it - charging with power from the sun. Very cool. Good luck.

21-Aug-14
I have the goal zero 10 with solar panel as well as a Motorola portable battery that will charge a phone. Just out of curiosity I used the motorola portable battery and it gave my kindle fire HD video 50% charge. My goal zero will charge the portable Motorola as well. You can charge AA and AAA with my goal zero but they have to be the same kind of batteries that come with a goal zero.

21-Aug-14
Little Honda 1000 in base camp. Its not much bigger than a big lunchbox and extremely quiet

23-Aug-14
Have used a Goal Zero Guide 10 to charge my GPS, GoPro, headlamp, & phone at different times. Frequently use it to power a Goal Zero led wand in my tent or camp.

23-Aug-14
Was not aware of the need to only use Goal Zero rechargeable batteries. May need to order a couple extra.

24-Aug-14
New Trent battery pack.

25-Aug-14
A few days ago, I finished backpacking ~225 miles on the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada mtns. I used a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar panel with Guide 10 Charger to keep my camera, headlamp, cell phone, and Delorme InReach charged during my 22 day hike. The trail is a mix of forested and open areas, and the charger worked well during the trip, strapped to the top of my pack. I charged both AA and AAA Goal Zero and Duracell brand NiMH batteries,as well as a Motorolla WPS-601-P793 cell phone battery pack. I also charged some off-brand batteries for another hiker one day without issue.

Halfway through the hike, the 2.5y/o Motorolla battery pack stopped charging my phone, although it still took a charge from the panel. It would make a high-pitched, cycling up-type whine for a few seconds, then the noise would stop and start over, w/o charging my phone. I was able to continue charging my cell using the Guide 10 and AA batteries for the remainder of the trip, so the Motorolla battery was really just unnecessary weight. All in all, I was quite pleased with the panel and Guide 10 battery pack, and don't hesitate to recommend it to others.

The only complaint I have was the nearly 2 pound weight of the panel, battery pack, AA and AAA batteries, and cords (I also carried a wall cord for when outlets were available to charge my phone at the start, end, and at some resupply locations on my trip). I saw others using the Bushnell Solar Wrap, as well as other mini-solar panels, and they all reported poor to mediocre results when charging a phone--primarily only partial charges. They also were not able to charge their headlamps, and had to carry exra batteries for that. Quite a few of them were envious of my solar panel vs theirs.

I usually started charging my AA batteries in the morning and they were fully charged by the time I was done hiking in the evening in forested conditions. In open areas, the batteries would be charged in abut 3~4hrs. When I got into camp, I'd plug in my phone, and it was 70~100% charged in short order, even when the phone battery was completely dead at the start.

Overall, two thumbs up for the Goal Zero Nomad 7 with Quide 10 battery pack.

• Sitka Gear