CO GMU521 - 8 Days & Counting
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
ShadowWalker 21-Aug-14
ShadowWalker 12-Sep-14
21-Aug-14

ShadowWalker's embedded Photo
ShadowWalker's embedded Photo
Eight days and counting and the lads and I head back to GMU521 for an early season elk hunt. Though we've hunted this unit a few times, we'll be in a new area this year. The pic is from a scouting trip my son and I went on about two weeks ago. Intel from local guys and elk sightings indicate that the elk will be up high. We'll be laying down boot leather for sure. I've mostly hunted the last couple of weeks of September. Any of you early season hunters hear bugles in early September? What early season strategies have worked best for you?

12-Sep-14
My buddies and I finished our elk hunt in CO. We found a nice area that had bulls. We saw at least one bull per day. It was a good time but also an ego basher. I had a bull at 20yds. Choked big time! Brain went wacko on me. I heard a thwack but not sure if it was the bull or something. At the end of the day, there was no blood, no hair, and no arrow. After searching the area and finding nothing, I concluded I must have missed and hit a tree or something else. I lost a lot of sleep that night and went back for a search the next morning. After being a bowhunter for so long it stings the pride a little to think that I could fall apart with a bull so close. Granted it was my first encounter with an elk that close and an opportunity to shoot one. No excuses though. It was a good learning experience for a relative inexperienced elk hunter. I just hope the bull is ok if I did hit him. Personal redemption comes in December with a cow elk tag in AZ. Good luck out there, Fellow Bowhunters and Fellow Bowsiters!

• Sitka Gear