drycreek 22-Aug-14
coyote hunter 22-Aug-14
Jaybee 25-Aug-14
Twanger 25-Aug-14
Paul@thefort 26-Aug-14
jdouin 26-Aug-14
RSM 27-Aug-14
21-Aug-14
Didn`t wanna hijack the scent-lok thread, so I am asking here.... does this thing work or what? Or just another money grab? Anyone with experience?

21-Aug-14
Well if you believe the tv snake oil salesman,yes.

21-Aug-14
According to all the past threads,

No

Yes

Maybe

That's as good as it gets. Haters gonna hate, lovers gonna love.

21-Aug-14
really?

21-Aug-14
Ozone machines have been proven to be effective in reducing odors.

Do the portable Ozonics machines work for bowhunting? Under the right conditions, sort of.

21-Aug-14
I know if I am in poor air quality with high ozone warnings like some summers past - it hurts to breathe deep after a while. Could be mild asthma but I sure as hell am not gonna pay for that.

21-Aug-14

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
I used one during my late season whitetail hunt and it worked. This buck came into my rattling from a ladder stand and circled down wind. With one grunt call he came in on a string to 20 yards with my scent blowing right at him. I didn't use any other scent control just the ozonics above me.

21-Aug-14
Countless deer come in "downwind" every year and are killed. One dead deer proves nothing - too many unmeasurable variables.

Ozone kills odors in high quantities with sufficient exposure time, which requires an enclosed environment - and usually not meant for attended use. It is impossible for a small battery operated unit mounted above your head in an open environment to provide high enough quantities and exposure time to have any effect. Liking whizzing in a stream and thinking it will cause a flood downstream.

Spent some time to research ozone and how it works. And its dangers.

21-Aug-14
Hate to say it, but I think it helps

21-Aug-14
Yes, they make ozone. Yes, ozone kills odors. Their efficacy is unproven. I wouldn't be surprised if they are semi-effictive.

21-Aug-14
It is designed to fools hunters more so than deer. Like the new fishing lure.

21-Aug-14
I've never used one, but there is a large amount of Ozone in the area due to pollution from L.A. nearby and when I started hunting, it seemed they always winded me, but the longer I've hunted, not so much anymore, so maybe no, maybe yes :)

21-Aug-14
" really ? "

Really !

21-Aug-14
Lots of guys say they don't work, but then they have never used one either. I say buy the thing and try it out for yourself. With their money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose..

I don't have one but would like to use it for a season and try it myself. My buddy has one and likes it, plus I've had pm's with a few guys who've had success with one. Following the instructions is key they've told me as some guys don't bother to follow them and say it doesn't work.

21-Aug-14
Check out the Field and Stream test with the drug sniffing dog and Ozonics. Interesting results.

21-Aug-14
I use it every hunt.

21-Aug-14
X2 Jaquomo! I have used one a full season now. Not interested in debating if it is ethical or not! It is legal to use and I do a lot of sent control before I use one. They work! Read the articles, the science is sound and my results say they definitely work. Two of my hunting partners purchased them after comparing notes after hunts, I wouldn't get busted and they would, so they purchased them as well!

You have to be very specific in its placement. Just like all aspects of hunting you can not be sloppy and be consistently successful!

21-Aug-14
I was skeptical but tried one in a blind on a WT hund in South Dakota last year. I had does and young bucks right in front of the window several times during the week. Never had that kind of WT activity that close on the ground before.

22-Aug-14
Field and stream article had nothing related to using one hanging over your head in the open. Again - research ozone and how it works.

22-Aug-14
Yeah but if they would have used a hobo and a dachsund/poodle mix from the pound for the test it would have been game-on.

22-Aug-14
Just because the wind is at your back and a deer approaches downwind of you doesn't necessarily mean that your scent is being blown to him. Ten yards in front of you your scent could be blown straight up in the air. You have no way of knowing where your scent is going. Some guys swear by them; others you couldn't give one to them for free.

22-Aug-14
for crap sake people, do some real research for yourself on ozone and ozone uses. I don't know why I care but it bothers me to see fellow hunters out there utilizing things that can really have a negative affect on their health.

One of my best friends owns and operates a company wherein they need to deploy commercial ozone machines for clean up work in damaged homes and buildings.

1) the amount that would be needed to cover or destroy your scent in a treestand is NOT possible with that little unit PERIOD.

2) If you are creating enough ozone to cover your scent in an enclosed space, like a blind, you are putting your health at serious risk.

22-Aug-14
too much trouble IMO even if it worked, do I want to hang a $300 battery operated fan over me....nope.

Does it work?, some will say yes, some no.

I like hunting like and simple. So I wouldn't get one, but wouldn't criticize those who do.

22-Aug-14
Something like an ozone generating machine will work best in a closed environment (ie, popup or outhouse blinds) where you don't have erratic wind and thermal currents to deal with.

At what point do we say "enough is enough?" Are we deer hunters or deer killers? Should each ozone machine come with a sticker "bowhunters do it the hard way" to proudly display?

22-Aug-14
Been using them for turkeys, our success has been great.

22-Aug-14
Lol!

22-Aug-14
Not saying I believe it works in a hunting environment, because I don't. Just interesting results from the closed box test, is what I was referencing

22-Aug-14
Great answers, I knew it would go both ways.... I don`t plan on buying one, just wanted to stir the pot a bit... keep em coming...

22-Aug-14
I saw a leprechaun after using on one evening!

22-Aug-14
I have not handled one but wondering if there is a sticker warning hunters that breathing ozone for extended periods of time is bad for their health? hope the insurance policies are paid up! and for all you who use them you may want to document the amount of time you use it for legal purposes down the road. If you need an ozonics foe big game hunting, I'm sorry but you should reexamine your hunting skills. As Ollie said it's hunting not killing.

22-Aug-14
Just use " nose jammer " . Forget the wind...............?

22-Aug-14
I think that I will just stick to my wood smoke cover scent.

25-Aug-14

Jaybee's Link
These units do not produce enough to work. If they did they would make you real sick. I use big ozone units at work. We must use supplied air when they are running. See the attached link.

25-Aug-14
Jaybee, thank you.

26-Aug-14
Interesting.

I was watching a hunting show last night where the bow hunter/camera man, was in a ground blind. They had the Ozonic machine working, they had washed down/sprayed down, with all of the "no scent" products. I think they even brushed their teeth and used mouth wash.

The wind were swirling some down wind and the deer were very spooky and finely left because they had smelled human odor.

The hunter then stated, "with all of the products we are using, the deer still smelled us".

I guess one can come to a conclusion that non of it works as advertised./ This is my conclusion also.

HUNT DOWN WIND!

Paul

26-Aug-14
The guys at White Knuckle Productions have done quite a few field tests with them. Very interesting results. I'll never own one just because I try to keep it fairly simple. Already too much crap in my pack.

I saw a test the other day on one of their webisodes. They had a young buck feeding in front of them for awhile with the unit on, straight downwind. As soon as they turned the unit off, the buck smelled them, blew, and took off.

27-Aug-14
I'm in the "fishing lure theory" group of believers.

I teach about all things air pollution and have been doing research on ambient ozone for more years than I care to admit. As has been previously said, ozone is very reactive in the atmosphere and wouldn't stick around long enough at high concentrations to do much to the "human smell cloud". Also, the turbulence within the boundary would pretty much negate the gravitational settling of ozone (molecular weight, MW = 48) and "air" molecules (MW = 30),and as a further note human odor molecules are much, much heavier.

That rant being said...I abused my position this past spring, bought an Ozonics instrument and had my students test it in a lab exercise. In brief, our unit produced a bunch of ozone - concentrations between 600 and 12,000 ppb (parts per billion) at the face. For comparison, the EPA standard is 75 ppb (8-hr exposure). We did this under an enclosed hood.

We then elevated the Ozonics in a large laboratory (no wind) to about 2 m, pointed it down at a 35 degree angle and measured the "cloud" as it dispersed away. At 9" away the center line concentration dropped to 550 ppb and spread out to an oval about 10" x 20", with the outer oval boundary concentrations defined at 50 ppb (near typical ambient levels). At 36" from the instrument face, the center line concentration was 100 ppb and the 50 ppb oval was about 30" x 20".

In summary, lots of ozone generated, as expected, it just didn't disperse very far. What shall we test next year?

• Sitka Gear