Elkaddict 25-Aug-14
fnshtr 25-Aug-14
Wildcountry 25-Aug-14
shortstop 25-Aug-14
Colo. Bowman 25-Aug-14
IdyllwildArcher 25-Aug-14
ShadowWalker 26-Aug-14
21-Aug-14
Guys Need some ideas. Seasons just days away.We pack in on our backs about 3 miles. I pack around 50 lbs,my son around 70. We stay up there about 8 days, and pack mouintain house meals for the evening meal. Usually throw in a pack of roman noodles and thats all we can eat for a meal.Days meal usually consists of a baggie each with dried fruit, nuts,power jel pack, and cheeze and cracker pack.Not bad but pretty drab.We arent usually hungery, but am looking for some different ideas for in that ziplock daysmeal.Back to base camp is usuaLLY not an option as we are out aways.Weight is very critical and even 8 cans of sardines adds up. You guys that hunt off your backs got any ideas it would be appreciated.Good Huntin!

21-Aug-14
I know guys that use peanut butter, bacon and honey sadwiches, tortillas etc. We decided to go with a mtn house meal for midday and supper. Not sure that was a great idea but its what we decided on. Last year we took cliff bars, jerky, GU shots, honey stingers etc. I have to have a few snickers bars every day as well. Great energy in them as well. I buy a bag of the small ones for a week. Tuna or salmon in the pouches works as well.

21-Aug-14
My wife makes me homemade "energy" bars that are mostly rolled oats, peanut butter, sunflower seeds, & honey then she adds dried cranberries, chocolate chips, rasins, etc for different flavors. I usually vacuum seal some of her cookies throughout the year to take with me, as well as zucchini bread. Sometimes I take a few big pieces of venison jerky. Hard salami will hold up for a few days if it's cool, and so will BabyBel cheese (wax sealed). None of that stuff is real light, but adds some variety, plenty of calories, and you should still be able to keep under 2#/Day.

22-Aug-14
Last year I packed MREs for all meals. It rained the entire time and the guys with mountain house meals couldn't boil their water. I also don't think I could survive on a 2000 cal diet. They are a little bulky but worth the extra weight IMO. If you don't like the extra room remove everything but the entre and heater.. Or just pack it for a couple meals. You can throw one in your day pack for lunch too and it's super easy. That's all I'm taking this year although I admit I'm not packing in this year like I did last time. Good luck!

22-Aug-14
There is something in your pack that you could cut weight on. If you did not use is cut it, if you can't use it twice (dual purpose, cut it) then you can bring some food that you want, haaaaaa

There is a lot you can cut, I'm the worst culprit!!!! But i keep trying!!!

Ive eaten MH, Ramen and i feel full at first but then in the morning if that was my dinner I'm starving! I have been trying more nuts, meat, dried berries, and Olive oil very dense in calories. Plus MH = GAS and lots of it.

Meat, berries a lot, nuts, oil. As much real food as i can eat!!! Starve a little its ok!!!

22-Aug-14
Not to be sarcastic but 3 miles isn't that far. One hour depending on elevation gain. If I really wanted alternates for food I'd make another trip. Or.... send my son. lol

Bagels last pretty long and they hold up in a pack unlike bread. Add peanut butter and jelly.

Tuna or chicken in the foil packs doesn't need refrigerated and is nice to have.

Backstraps are good. (wink)

25-Aug-14
I know it's been said before but I really like tortillas, bacon, PB, and honey. I usually vacuum pack the tortilla and bacon. The PB and honey are in squeeze tubes.

25-Aug-14

Elkaddict's Link
Instant potatoes are linked.

PB/Bacon/Honey Tortillas

Dry Honey Nut Cheerios/Granola/Dark chocolate chips mixed for Breakfast.

Life choice Chocolate Fudge Energy Bars

Mini Milky Ways/Dove Chocolates/Hershey Bars

Cashews

Beef Jerky

Nature Valley Bars

Chicken in a Biskit/ Wheat thins

25-Aug-14
I love a package of instant potatoes with some of my MH freeze-dried meals. All kinds of flavors, like; baby reds, garlic butter, loaded baked potato, etc.

My son and I will split a MH along with splitting a potato dish... yum yum.

My daughter-in-law vacuum sealed some Tabasco hot and spicy cheezit crackers last hunt... I never cared for them at home, but, wow, up on the mountain they really hit the spot.

25-Aug-14
If you have to carry water in to your campsite, Hormel Compleats are a good change up from freeze dried. No refrigeration, tastes like real food and just need to be dropped in boiling water for about ten minutes to heat (but could be eaten cold). I use them a lot for lunch if I'm going to be back at camp. If I have a good water source I stick with Mountain House.

25-Aug-14
Oat meal with some brown sugar and raisins. Sticks with you real well.

25-Aug-14
Peanut Butter & Bacon Sandwiches! I use the "sandwich thins", which are round fairly flat pieces of bread to make them, since they won't fall apart like regular bread.

25-Aug-14
See my sandwich pic/directions in the "Best Venison Sandwich" thread

26-Aug-14
Elk Addict - I've added those for this year. Mashed potatoes and jerky. It's what's for dinner. MH's are out!

• Sitka Gear