vic 27-Aug-14
vic 27-Aug-14
vic 27-Aug-14
Shiras 27-Aug-14
vic 27-Aug-14
bentstick 27-Aug-14
DonVathome 10-Sep-14
22-Aug-14
I drew a New Mexico Ibex tag for the October first season. Does anyone have any helpful info ?

22-Aug-14
Check out Zac Griffith's hunts on YouTube. It looks like a tough hunt to put it mildly. Good luck

22-Aug-14
If you are considering using some help contact Dennis Kaufman, Mountain Park, NM. When I hunted with him several years ago he had several blinds set up above well used trails.

22-Aug-14
First, I would get some snake boots. Finding them isn't too hard, trying to predict where they will be when you get up to them is what's fun. I'll be back in January. Good luck.

22-Aug-14
Pm sent

22-Aug-14
Be prepared for a really difficult hunt that typically ends with no dead animal.

Antler Addiction Outfitters is a good source for help also

Good luck

23-Aug-14
Rich Baca...Antler Addiction Outfitters.

23-Aug-14
No advice, but have fun!

23-Aug-14
Get the best glass you can afford, watch out for snakes, carry your water, enjoy the greatest archery challenge in North America. Mike

23-Aug-14
Just go and enjoy it my friend!!

Good luck, Robb

23-Aug-14
a CO sheep tag and a NM Ibex, awesome year, congrats on your sheep and good luck on the goat!

25-Aug-14
Just because you can get up it in the daylight- doesn't mean you can get down it in the dark! Not all chutes lead safely to the bottom.

Will be back down there in January, you will either fall in love with this hunt or hate it. Practice, long but steep angle shots; missed a 30" billy two years ago, he was at 50yds- cosine says I should have treated it like 33yds!

25-Aug-14
Yep. Always aim less then line of sight when shooting uphill or downhill. Angle compensators on range finders are nice for this.

25-Aug-14

bentstick's embedded Photo
When you climb up a bit the view is nice.

25-Aug-14

25-Aug-14
Thanks for all the advice guys ! This is why I signed up for bowsite. I will give Dennis a call. Just not sure if an outfitter is in the budget this time .

26-Aug-14
I sent you a couple private messages.

26-Aug-14
Mike,

You are on a roll!!! Good luck!!!

26-Aug-14
Holy crap Lutt! What tags didn't you draw this year? Good luck and congrats on the nice ram!

26-Aug-14
Looking for some one to tag along on this hunt...?

27-Aug-14

vic's embedded Photo
vic's embedded Photo
Mike; I just hunted it last year with a rifle and killed a good buck (really think that should be billy, but it's not, I checked). anyway, I've got all kinds of good info for you. I did not use an outfitter, did it on my own. it takes a while to figure these critters out and they are amazing, but you can do it. with a bow is going to be hard. be able to shoot 80 yards. the one thing that an outfitter brings to the table is they know some places to have you sit in a ground blind and wait for them to come by. pm me if you want some info. you need to make a trip there prior to season and I would also go 2-3 days before the season opens. Vic

27-Aug-14

vic's embedded Photo
vic's embedded Photo
here's another

27-Aug-14

vic's embedded Photo
vic's embedded Photo
The Florida mountains (pronounced Floreeda)are pretty intimidating when you first see them...almost scary. half way thru my hunt I ended up hiking up to the top, made a shot (and missed) but followed the things down the other side went to the bottom, went back up and back down to the truck. 8 hours. it can be done. and I'm old. you can't treat this like a sheep hunt. these guys have way better vision, can go places a sheep wouldn't dream of, and smaller. there really isn't any glassing and bedding and then stalking. you kinda have to know where they are going to be and be there before them. it is one of the most fun but frustrating hunts I've ever done.

the buck above was just shy of 40". Vic

27-Aug-14
Oh, I didn't realize BOHUNTS was you Mike...Would love to go with you, but I will just be getting home from AK moose and they might consider my employment optional at that point.

27-Aug-14

vic's embedded Photo
vic's embedded Photo
that isn't to say (from the message above) that you won't spend hours and hours behind your glass. I see that was misleading. Vic

27-Aug-14
Its just a goat, walk up there and shoot the thing.

ha!

It was good to chat with you last night; Good Luck!, Lance

10-Sep-14
They are far far far more wary, cautious, agile, paranoid then sheep or mnt goats. They literally will go over a cliff (unpressured) when there is a saddle 100 yards away.

By far the most difficult bowhunt out there.

GOOD blinds at travel routes are your best bet for a shot. You need to be well hidden. If spotted they often do give you enough time to shoot - if you are quick (they might jump/move a few yards first).

Do not plan on finding water. They are small targets and the wind can be brutal. Get "bears feet". Bring a trekking pole(s).

I am NOT convinced they smell you - I would love to hear others thoughts on that.

• Sitka Gear