Turk314 08-Sep-14
Destroyer350 08-Sep-14
Destroyer350 08-Sep-14
Glunt@work 08-Sep-14
Glunt@work 08-Sep-14
Turk314 08-Sep-14
Paul@thefort 28-Nov-14
24-Aug-14
I will probably be shut down from the start of this tread. Why? Due to I will not be hunting the coyote's in Archery fashion. I have a FoxPro caller and will be hunting them in remote area's of the Colorado mountains. I'll be in GMU 18 south/east section. While scouting in spring I would call with the FoxPro, at times I heard what seemed like hundreds calling back. Kind of eerie.... How long do I wait for them to appear? How do I get them to appear? Where should I setup, in the tree line, above a field? I have a tent blind, should I use it? Should I do coyote barks, calls first? Then prey distress? Any serious help would be greatly appreciated :)

24-Aug-14
Calling and killing coyotes consistantly can be as difficult as hunting and killing any other animal. Keep your noise level down, and manage the wind. A coyote will tolerate zero human scent ! I like to call to where I expect them to be , with a cross wind blowing toward an area that is open enough to offer a good shot. I mainly use some type of prey in distress, but do use howls occasionally. Try whatever you have, and see what works. Give a stand at least 15/20 minutes and move a half mile or so, then try again.

All that said, sooner or later, you are gonna have one in your lap in twenty seconds from the time you start the call, coming from the wrong direction, etc. But, that's what makes it so much fun. Good luck !

24-Aug-14
If they are barking at your call, they are laughing at you. They are call wise or watched you setup. Pack up and move to a different spot. My calling sequences vary in time with how much ground I'm calling to.... 15-30 minutes. I don't use a blind. I use good camouflage. Calling from a tree is best. Coyotes generally don't look up and are looking on the ground for their meal. The hardest part about hunting coyotes with a bow is drawing your bow. I set up in areas with cover or broken terrain out in front. This enables me to see the coyote coming in and draw when it goes out of sight. The best single piece of advice I give guys.... it to get out and hunt. Nothing adds to success more, than time in the field. Good luck. Ed F

05-Sep-14
Thank you for your experience and guidance. I do have to admit we did take a lazy setup near our truck. This time we plan on walking into tree line, just on the out skirts of the trees. This will also help me work on my patience.

The past few hunts it seems like I call in fox. Just not getting them yotes....arrrr!!! Thanks again :)

05-Sep-14
There is a lot more coyotes than people think. I truly feel they are one of the smartest animals in the woods. I also love how everyone honks that it will happen like the shows. I am very seasoned on predator calling... Infact probably one of a very few who actually has called a lion I. On pulse with a hand call and killed it at 8 yards...

That being said, set up is everything. Make sure you have a good cross or face type of wind, always have you partner set up 30 yards down wind watching the down wind side. Call in short sequences and wait. Etc. Avoid how Ing at all cost unless you know the language. Try different sounds. Forget rabbit. Use fawn, bird, chipmunk, mice etc.

If the set up is not right just find a new one!

05-Sep-14
they fall prey to roasted chicken drag line, or a fresh cooked hot dog, good luck ( kill them all) r-man

08-Sep-14

Turk314's embedded Photo
Turk314's embedded Photo
Here is an example of the terrain that is close to us. Other areas have more open fields.

Should I use a hunting blind tent?

How far away should I set my caller?

Whats a roasted chicken drag line? I think i have an idea, just want to educate myself.

What about dying crow call?

While activating my FoxPro should I go from lower volume to louder?

Should I ever do a howling or coyote pups den call?

Sorry for all the questions :)

08-Sep-14
That looks like some good terrain - nice and open. I usually do the best 1st light up until 930 or so. After that they don't seem interested. No need to use a blind just run and gun - carrying a blind for a long ways gets old real quick. Just set up close to the treeline and that should be enough cover - make sure you are not out in the sun. I would set the caller up 50-75 yards out. Get a decoy - I cant remember the name of mine but it is a tail that turns in circles. Start the call out soft and turn it up slow. If you all of a sudden start blasting the call they will more than likely spook. I stick to the rabbit in distress and pup in distress. I try to sit for at least 45 minutes each set - a lot of the time it is longer. Once you stop the call don't immediately get up and grab the call. Wait like 5 minutes because there might be one close watching it. Also watch your back those cats are really sneaky. Hope that helps!

08-Sep-14
Another thing... Don't get discouraged out there. If you are calling in a yote 1 out of 30 sets you are lucky. That is why it is important to go to several different areas in one day. Coyotes are territorial and if you are calling they might come to the edge of their territory but not all the way in. If you don't call one in and move a few hundred yards their might be 6 or 7 come in and you know they heard your call from the last set. Something else that really helped is a forum called predator masters - there should be tons of information on there.

08-Sep-14
Good advice in the above posts. For me, the set-up is the key. I try and get into position with without visually exposing myself or letting my scent go into the area I expect them to come from.

You probably are calling to a coyote on every stand. When you catch one in the right mood, try not to give him any reason not to come in. I usually sit 20-30 minutes on good stands but I also hit a bunch of stands that aren't great set-ups. Some of these I wait less because the target area is small. Numbers is what produces coyotes. Sorta like how they say it takes 1000 casts to catch a muskie. Every stand you draw a blank on is one closer to the one that will produce. On windy days, we sometimes crank the Foxpro up and sit long sits in real open areas. I prefer hand blown calls for regular calling but only because its fun.

With a remote its handy to set up the electronic caller out in front 40-50 yards but not if you think doing that exposes you too much before starting. If an alien crashed and made some completely new distress call, it wouldn't take long for the coyotes to greet him. Every sound on the Foxpro can work, but rabbits and hares are common prey and usually work. In heavily called areas, oddball stuff might be the trick.

Expect them to come in on a path that takes them across your scent stream. They don't always do that, but its common, especially on one thats being tentative. My first call is usually low and short. Once in awhile there is one very close and always be ready for that. I glass a lot during a stand in open country but keep your movements slow and minimal. Only one guy on binoculars at a time. Someone has to be ready for the one that pops out of the gully at 20 yards.

08-Sep-14
One other thing. When getting started, forget taking turns shooting or "Anything on that side is yours". Take any good (safe) shot that presents itself. Things can go wrong quickly and its better to have one dead than watch him run away because your buddy thought you were going to shoot and held off.

08-Sep-14
Again, thank you for all the help!

I'm checking out the predator masters forum.

But, in closing feel free to offer any more advise it helps !

28-Nov-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
There is no doubt that electronic calls are VERY effective, but I like using a mouth call that can sound like a cottontail/jack rabbit or a fawn deer.

Cold and snow on the ground I prefer and especially if I can spot one first and then set up with the wind correct. I prefer to spot one first as the killing odds will be much higher. Snow camo works great, and the colder it is the more hungry the yotes will be.

Never have used a blind ( no need) and just rely on the natural surroundings.

During the winter, I hunt where are is rabbit cover, ie, willow brush, as the rabbit is the main food at that time. At this time also, yotes depend on mice, birds, some winter kill big game. January is mating time so expect to see two yotes sometimes together. One might come in while the other hangs back.

These are very keen animals and have learned to survive in the wild and with man.

While I know unit 18 very well, I like to hunt the more open but rolly terrain of North Park near Walden where one can spot them from a distance.

What everyone else stated.

Google, "calling coyotes" as you can learn a lot from actual hunts.

I used the same calls with I killed my called in bear and had a MT. lion within 20 yards to the call but he saw me draw and bailed out quickly.

No doubt, hunting and calling coyotes is a great off season hunt.

My best, paul

• Sitka Gear