jims 27-Aug-14
Paul@thefort 27-Aug-14
jims 27-Aug-14
pav 27-Aug-14
Paul@thefort 27-Aug-14
jims 27-Aug-14
Mad_Angler 17-Jun-15
25-Aug-14
If you can't really afford Sitka or Kuiu raingear I found a great deal at Sierra Trading on the rain jacket and pants. They are called Marmot Precip and are made of high end gortex material. The jacket has pitzips so breathe pretty well. If you use the coupon code you can get an additional 35% off today. The pants plus jacket are around $100...which is a steal! I've used mine in Alaska, Colo, Wyo, and Wisc and never soaked through. Unfortunately they don't come in camo but they do have them in brown, green, black, and other colors, I've used mine for fishing, scouting, and in a pinch hunting. They have worked just as well as the Sitka raingear I spent several hundred bucks on! Jim

25-Aug-14
yep...Marmot Precip is good stuff...

25-Aug-14
" If you use the coupon code you can get an additional 35% off today. "

Would you mind sharing the coupon code you used?

25-Aug-14
Key Code DAU10246

25-Aug-14
Also SITEMID814 for 35% off anything over $100

25-Aug-14
Not to steal the thread, but Cabelas Space Rain Gear is also inexpensive (compared to Sitka and Kuiu), works well and is the lighest, most compact raingear on the market. The only drawback is that it tears fairly easily (repair with Duct Tape on the inside of the rip).

I also own Sitka Gear raingear, but when elk hunting or hunting distances on foot, its the Cabelas that is with me. When closer to a vehicle, its teh SItka.

>>>>-------->

25-Aug-14
A guy could also check out King's Camo site for their Climatex rain gear bundle (coat and pants) for $109. No 1st hand experience but have heard good things about them

25-Aug-14
I've used the PreCip- good stuff, but last I checked its not Goretex but coated...so careful about getting bug dope on it

25-Aug-14
Thanks for the tip. I bought the jacket last year, just waitin for good deal on pants.

25-Aug-14
"The only drawback is that it tears fairly easily (repair with Duct Tape on the inside of the rip). "

In my book that is a big drawback, especially with pants as I tend to slip down when climbing steep/wet mountains. Don't want to have to take duct tape to repair my gear. But it works for you, so to each his own.

25-Aug-14
It says "waterproof breathable" fabric, so don't think it is a "coated" product. However, Goretex is supposed to be waterproof at 28,000 mm and this product says 15,000 mm, so at least by that standard, not as waterproof. However, knowing what jims puts his gear through, it must be enough!

25-Aug-14
I bought my precips about 5 years ago and used and abused them on 2 Alaska trips with downpours just about every day. One was a 3 week mtn goat, salmon fishing, black bear trip the other was a 2 1/2 week dall sheep, salmon trip. My brother in law had a cheap pair of Cabelas raingear. He ended up borrowing my extra Precips for the remainder of the trip and finally was dry! I also used them in Wisconsin the last couple years in November where the wind blows rain almost horizontal! In fact, I just told the guy I went to Wisc last year about the sale and he was so impressed with my raingear that he bought a set today. Knock on wood...I have never had a leak! I'm not sure about the 15,000 mm deal but I have yet to have them soak through...similar to my Sitka raingear that I paid a small fortune for! If you go to the Sierra Trading website there are around 1,600 reviews on the Precip jacket and pants...almost all are excellent reviews. Not bad for $50 jacket and pants! They are also light and packable. You won't regret the small investment!

26-Aug-14
I've abused my precip for the last 4 years with no leaks. The first year I hunted Afognak island and put it through the worst abuse you can imagine. Colorado elk hunt twice and 2 bear hunts in Ontario. Still no leaks. I'd buy it again for double the price.

Bret

27-Aug-14
Glad to hear I'm not the only 1! I would hate to recommend something that didn't work out!

27-Aug-14
Per Sierra Trading Post wed site, this item is SOLD OUT.

27-Aug-14
I just looked on the website and the only jackets that are left are in XL in just about every color. There are all sizes left in the black pants. If you want a pair you better hurry! I ordered a large pants and XL jacket and they just sent me an email saying that they're on their way.

27-Aug-14
I bought a set for the wife last night.

Thanks for the head's up!

27-Aug-14
Well jims, your suggestion was well taken so I drove up to Trading Post, only 40 miles and purchased the $74 jacket, light green, XL, and then with a additional 25% discount, the price was $48. I am 185 lbs, and 5'10 and the XL fits very good with just a little room to spare for other layers.

I will wear my ASAT Pro leafy jacket over it when in use.

Thanks for the suggestion. Paul

27-Aug-14
I hope they work as good for you as they have for me! I wear mine all the time fishing and sometimes hunting. Stay dry!

17-Jun-15
The Marmot Precip is still on sale at Sierra Trading Post.

The good news is that the jacket and pants can be had for $121 shipped (using promo code SITEKEEP6152).

But the bad news is that the colors are limited. The only color for the jacket is sorta dark orange (Burnt Spice). Do elk care about color? Would that color work as well as camo?

• Sitka Gear