Tilzbow 01-Sep-14
Db1 01-Sep-14
Mark Watkins 01-Sep-14
Smtn10PT 02-Sep-14
grazak 02-Sep-14
26-Aug-14

Waterfowler's embedded Photo
I've been fortunate in my life to have the opportunity to bowhunt some of the coolest places that North America has to offer. My most recent endeavor started with a flight from Baltimore thru Saskatoon ending in Edmonton on my first day of travel, followed by another day getting to Norman Wells. Pretty uneventful just a lot of hurry up and wait.

26-Aug-14

My end destination was the Keele River base camp owned and operated by Stan Simpson of Ram Head Outfitters in the NWT. One more 1 hour flight in my favorite type of transportation and I was in a very nice well equipped camp sitting on the banks of the Keele.

26-Aug-14

Aerial view of camp.

26-Aug-14

Transportation days are usually a drag but Stan and the crew are pretty serious about getting you out to spike camp. I packed my gear in town prior to the bush flight and eliminated only a few things at the main camp. Shot my bow a few times and jumped in the chopper to head out to spike camp within 2 hours of getting to base camp.

26-Aug-14
This is going to be good!! Brings back memories, Brad !! Go get'em!!!

26-Aug-14

A short 10-15 minute flight in the chopper and I was at spike camp. My guide for this hunt was Michael Simpson of the same family. Son of Flint Simpson who outfits for bighorns in Canmore and nephew to Frank Simpson who guide stone sheep hunters in the northern BC I believe. So suffice to say at the ripe old age of 22 this fine young man has been in on a few sheep kills and knows his way around the mountains. We were in for a blast of a hunt!!

26-Aug-14

Spike camp is well...spike camp. Two small tents and a bag of food nestled in the head of a tight valley in downtown dall sheep central, or so Id hoped. There is a no hunt rule for 12 hours after flying so we lounged around, glassed and got acquainted. It was a very nice setting water close by and Michael said he saw some sheep on the flight in.

26-Aug-14

Home sweet home

26-Aug-14

The sun sets but it really doesn't get very dark at this time of year just a dusk but probably to dark to shoot though. Tough to sleep with this much anticipation but a Ambien helps a bunch.

The following morning we woke up to some fog and reasonably warm temps. 40+

26-Aug-14

Heres a few pics for a bit I'll finish up in the am.

26-Aug-14

26-Aug-14

Norman Wells from the air. No road in No road out.

26-Aug-14
sweet. been waiting for the story

26-Aug-14
Can't wait Brad...Got my "1/2" this year as well but decided long ago, my sheep hunts would be rifle hunts. I really admire guys that consistently get sheep done with a bow. An awesome accomplishment...Congrats.

26-Aug-14
This is going to be good!

26-Aug-14
I don't know how old you are but good luck keeping up with that 22 year old guide!

26-Aug-14
Can't wait to hear the story buddy!!

27-Aug-14
Outstanding Brad, can't wait....

27-Aug-14
I sure look forward to your yearly threads.

Exciting!!

Good luck, Robb

27-Aug-14
Looking forward to the rest of the story!

27-Aug-14

8/6/14

The first official hunt day started with a hike down the drainage then up one of the side canyons to look for sheep. The main drainage we were camped in had several canyons shooting off one side. Our game plan was to stay low and glass up into each bowl looking for rams.

The first bowl produced nothing but our second stop Michael spotted a ram on the skyline about 3/4 of a mile away. He stood there for a bit and dropped over the side so we decided to go up on a close ridge to try to gain elevation and distance.

Fog was a major factor in this hunt. If you cant glass you cant move for fear of running into sheep.

27-Aug-14

We hiked up to the top, side hilling most of the way, we followed a rock face as the fog moved in and out I spotted 2 rams on a near by ridge about 400 yards away. We decided to sit tight and see what the weather was going to do. The fog was very thick at times so we took a nap and just hung out on the mountain. It was around 9 am at this point.

Headed for that cliff face up the mountain. Sheep were to the left.

27-Aug-14

Eventually the sun burned the fog off and we were able to located a group of 7 rams on the ridge just adjacent to us. Only 1 mature ram that was slightly broomed on his left horn. There wasn't any way to get closer at this point so we just sat back and watched.

27-Aug-14

The rams got up to feed and started down the hill toward a grass covered bench in our direction. We decided I should drop back and sneak down and set up above the bench if they were to continue on their path I'd have a 60 yard shot or closer.

I got into position and waited for a bit, eventually Michael indicated that the rams fed back and over where the were and were mostly out of sight. We decided to drop back and hike over the top to get a higher vantage point.

27-Aug-14
It seems I've lost a few pictures somehow, that sucks as I documented quite a bit of this hunt with photos.

Oh well.

27-Aug-14

From our higher vantage point we realized there was actually 9 rams in this band with 2 mature ones in the bunch. they were spread out over a 4-500 yard area with one of the mature rams bedded at 225 yards, if I were a rifle hunter this hunt would be over but what fun would that be?

27-Aug-14

The rams fed over the ridge and up on the opposing face, we decided to watch them and see where they were headed. We left to get back to camp around 7:30 pm. With no way to get into range we would find them tomorrow and stay with them until I could move in on them.

The hike back to camp was fairly easy, down hill and side hilling will kill your knees the first few days but that's mountain hunting. It started to rain as we got back around 9. A quick mountain house and a drink and off to my one man hotel for a good nights sleep.

We started at the creek in the left hand side of this picture.

27-Aug-14

8/7/14 I woke to a pretty hard rain at some point during the night. In this country rain is accompanied by fog. When I heard Michael stirring later, I looked out of my tent to a wall of fog with visibility measured in feet and a steady rain, I knew what this meant. It happens in the mountains but when you figure what your per diem is it can be a sour pill to swallow if you have to many lost days.

I spent my whole day like this. Thank god for my Ipod and a magazine.

27-Aug-14
8/8/14

The rain tapered off over night and the fog was a bit thinner when we left camp around 6:30 am. We were headed down to find those rams from 2 days ago but didn't need to go as far, they had actually moved closer to us and all 9 rams were together still.

With the fog moving in and out and the sheep up feeding we waited a bit until they fed their way out of sight the headed up to try and locate them from a better vantage point.

27-Aug-14
After a 2+ hour hike up a creek then straight up hill to a cliff ban we followed the cliff ban until we were able to locate the rams. Unfortunately we were on the same level and about 150 yards away when we found them, we had thought they would have been lower but had to drop back and go the whole way to the top and try to come down on them.

They were in a perfect location, bedded on a series of benches with each higher bench wider than the first, it would hide my approach from the top perfectly.

we located a small rams horn and right ear on the lower bench from our on top position, the sun at my back and wind in my face I started a 150 yard slide on my back with bow on my chest. Yard by yard I closed the distance on a very soon to be dead dall ram.

27-Aug-14
Nice job Brad. Great story and awesome photos. Thanks for sharing and keeping us all on the edge of our seats.

27-Aug-14
he's not going to be dead very soon............there has to be some drama around the corner.

27-Aug-14
these sheep hunt threads are killing me. quit being responsible at home and care for your comrades in waiting on bowsite. I kinda know the results however it still kills me to wait. bring on the music

27-Aug-14

About 80 yards into my butt slide I saw a small ram stand up turn around and then lay back down, a few minutes later a slightly larger ram stood up and fed the disappeared behind the bench. I waited a few minutes and proceeded with extreme caution, the hill was grass covered and was very quiet going.

I ranged the few rocks I could see on the lower bench, nocked a arrow and army crawled ever so slowly to the edge.

They were gone! Nothing Nada Zip not a sheep to be seen, what was once a bench of dreams and desires was nothing more than a sheep poop covered heartache.

I never saw them leave nor did Michael, I snuck around and checked all the little spots but they were gone. We went back around the face where we first spotted them and saw them running along the cliffs on the next mountain. They had run down our mountain crossed the creek, run up the opposing mountain and were 3/4 of the way across it when we saw them. Our only guess is that the wind switched enough to blow what was a perfect opportunity.

We watched them disappear around the mountain and packed up and headed back to camp.

this pic shows the cliff the sheep were following after my blown stalk. They covered some ground to say the least.

27-Aug-14

8/9/14

After getting back after 10 pm we slept in till around 7:30 quick bowl of oatmeal and packing some grub we headed after the last know location of that band of rams. Following the cliff face until we were at a series of bowls, up and over for a good vantage but ever so careful to never skyline we looked and glassed most of the day but could not find a sheep.

This series of bowls was pretty much the last bit of this drainage we hadn't covered till now and though slightly dejected we hiked back with a new plan for tomorrow. Back pretty early around 6 lounged around and called Stan on the sat phone.

He decided we should be moved and instructed us to have camp packed up and be ready around 8 am weather pending to get flown to another location.

27-Aug-14

Here's some pics I just found of the rams we were on the first day.

27-Aug-14

This was taken as I set up when they started working their way towards me. The big ram is bedded on the left with only his head visible.

27-Aug-14

This is where we found them on the second day, all bunched up, two ridges closer to camp just doing sheep stuff. I could sit and watch them all day.

27-Aug-14

8/11/14

No sleep last night, rained all night and still light rain when we got up, fog was in and out we waited until it let up a bit then headed out around 9 am.

After a short hike we were looking at a timbered mountain side and almost immediately found 3 rams down in the timber. Two mature rams and a younger ram were all up and feeding in this heavily timbered mountainside.

27-Aug-14

The fog would roll in and sit for a bit and we'd have to wait then relocate the sheep after it blew out. Sometime after 1 it burned off and we put a plan together. We picked a few way points, hung a ribbon where we glassed from as a line up point and head around and to the top. The closer we got the darker the sky got, you could see and smell the rain and the fog rolled back in. You get really good at putting rain gear on in this country, we sat on top of the mountain in the rain and fog for close to 2 hours, we both dozed off and had a ground squirrel run right into my lap. I didn't scream only because I was sound asleep and he woke me up.

You get really tired of fog after a bit, I can handle rain and even he few small hail storms we encountered but fog is a deal breaker.

27-Aug-14
Keep it coming!

27-Aug-14
Enough scenery...I'm ready for the "hero" shot...

27-Aug-14

After the fog lifted enough to proceed we found our drop in point and shed our packs, rain gear and I readied my bow.

We headed down into the timber finding it much thicker and brush higher than we anticipated. After picking our way down and trying to find our way point the wind started to get squirrelly, after the second batch of bad wind I pulled the plug. I was aware how good this situation was and didn't want to ruin it, we had lots of time let and a good thing going don't push it if you don't need to.

We bailed and went back to our viewing point only to find the rams had moved a considerable distance and were up feeding. The good thing was they never knew we were there and we watched them until quite late and went back to camp.

27-Aug-14

8/12/14

Up and at it early, nothing like putting on wet clothes head to toe when its 40 degrees out. Brrrr

We found the rams pretty quick and the were up feeding pretty close to where we left them yesterday evening. Watched and sat in the sun for once and waited to see what they were going to do. Around noon they bedded close together and stayed there for a bit got up stretched and fed and went back to the same beds.

It was time!!!!

Michael putting the hairy eyeball on the two shooters telling me what to look for.

27-Aug-14
Getting good you're gonna make it happen

How was that kuiu gear working out for you pretty good in that weather

27-Aug-14

Michael and I discussed our failed stalk due partially to wind but more importantly the lack of landmarks and visible feature to guide me in. We decided it would be best if he stayed put and guided me in from the top.

We devised a few signals using TP as its white and pretty visible thru binos and I set off to my pre selected insertion point.

Of course what would a hike be without a heavy downpour, hail and gale force winds not 15 minutes into it lasting for a hour. Atleast the fog didn't get to bad this time.I made it to my drop point, dumped my pack,rain gear put on my asat camo top and readied my bow again.

One of the 3 rams bedded, all were with 30 yards of this guy. Peacefully chewing their cuds not aware of the danger that lurks close by lol

27-Aug-14
Grant,

Michael looked like the Kuiu catalog threw up on him, I however use a hodgepodge of Sitka,Kuiu, and REI. The Kuiu wool shirts and pants are very well made, I have zero complaints, I hate the Sitka jacket and am willing to give it to someone I really don't like kinda like my Badlands backpack I recently gave away.

27-Aug-14
I made visual contact with Michael and started my stalk. The grade wasn't to bad maybe a 45 degree angle but the brush was thick in places.

I slowly picked my way down glassing Michael regularly to stay on track, unbeknownst to me, after the storm passed the rams got up to feed and were quite a distance from where they were bedded.

I would sneak a bit and glass, check with Michael and go another few yards, after awhile I was into the thickest part of the timber and we devised a signal to let me know I was close.

A piece of TP in each out stretched hand meant I was close but how close? 100 yards? 50 yards....

27-Aug-14
You wouldn't think that seeing a grown man holding two pieces of toilet paper would make your heart rate double but it did. I already had a arrow nocked, so I carefully headed further down stopping to glass every step, even though you couldn't see more than 50 yards.

A quick glance down the hill and something was out of place, my binos revealed the back of a rams head busily feeding on some brush. I took a few steps and was able to locate the other two rams one on the left one on the right. Since I could now see all three rams I ever so carefully stepped closer and close one foot at a time until the small ram walked out into the only opening at 18 yards, that's close enough.

I set my feet and put my bow up, I had a mature ram to my left at 25 yards the small ram in the middle at 18 and another mature ram feeding behind some trees at 25.

27-Aug-14
I had every intention of shooting either mature ram when it walked into the open, I knew one was bigger than the other but Michael green lighted both and I'm quite fine with that.

I must have moved my head to fast as the small ram was staring me down, I closed my eyes as to not make contact and waited a few seconds, he seemed convinced I was nothing and went back to feeding. The ram on the right was now at the 20 yard limit and I knew that I didn't have a lot of time before something went wrong, you cant be this close for long and it doesn't come unraveled.

The Right side ram picked his way toward a small opening at 20 yards and the left ram was headed toward a opening at 25, as the right rams head came into the open I drew and semi anchored, there was a light screen of brush between us that had a grapefruit sized hole in it. As he closed into the hole I blocked the other rams out and put the top pin on his shoulder and followed him into the open. When he hit the opening I started my shot,anchor, safety off , just as I started to push and pull he turned head on with his head down. I looked at the shot and his angle picked a spot on the side of his neck and started again just as I did he turned broadside again. I buried the pin in the middle of his shoulder and pulled through as hard as you can on a back tension to get it to fire quick.

It startled me when the bow went off and I heard the hit but didn't see it. The ram bolted down hill into a group of trees with his body mostly exposed I grabbed another arrow but took a quick glance thru my binos, when I saw the entrance and the blood I put my arrow away as he took his final steps and fell to the ground.

I heard Michael scream from across the canyon and I knew I had done it.

27-Aug-14

27-Aug-14
very nice Brad...congrats.

27-Aug-14

I waited a few minutes grabbed my arrow out of the ground and made my way to him.

I can honestly say I was at a loss for words when I got to him. The amount of work and prepping it takes to have the opportunity to hunt these beautiful animals is often over looked. I sat by him for a bit, I was humbled and that's all I can say. Those of you who have done this know where I was at that moment and I wont tarnish it with words.

27-Aug-14

It took Michael about a hour and a half to get to me, we took pictures and full caped and butchered him. As we packed up and I loaded the full cape head and horn in my pack it started to rain. It was early and we had lots of time, I sent Michael up ahead and I took my time enjoying every heavy step. While taking a heavy pack off is nice, putting it on and hitting your elbows on sheep horns is the best.

I loved every minute of it.

We'll go caribou hunting tomorrow !!!

27-Aug-14

Ram Cat 100

27-Aug-14
Hey, dibs on the Sitka coat if its a medium! :)

...and nice ram! I'd love to take one of those someday...

27-Aug-14
Out F'n standing Brad..,,Huge congrats, beautiful Dall!

27-Aug-14
That is so excellent a great ram a great story pictures are fantastic you wrote it up beautifully thank you so much for sharing. When it comes together for a deserving Hunter nothing is better well done congratulations.

27-Aug-14
Simply awesome.

27-Aug-14
Very nice great shot too I might add.

27-Aug-14
Congratulations on a beautiful ram! Very envious!

27-Aug-14
PERFECT!!!

Congrats and thanks so much for sharing with us.

Good luck, Robb

27-Aug-14
Congratulations great story thanks for sharing!!

27-Aug-14
Congratulations! As always I truly appreciate the time you have taken to document and share the hunt of a lifetime.

27-Aug-14
Congrat's ,Great Ram nice bases good luck on the Bou.

27-Aug-14
Right on Brad! This is a great thread. I appreciate the pics and the story. The excellent ram is icing on the cake. Well Done!

27-Aug-14
Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

27-Aug-14
8/10/14

Didnt post for some reason.

27-Aug-14
Congrats! Awesome story great pictures!Thanks for sharing! July 2016 can't come fast enough for me. Sandbrew

27-Aug-14
Wow great looking Ram. Congrats to you!! Great story as well.

27-Aug-14
Wow thanks so much for sharing your story and pics, and what a way to end your hunt. Congratulations on the fine trophy, you earned him and he's a beauty.

27-Aug-14
Congrats! Great looking ram! It's sure a special feeling once you get to touch those horns after all you went through.

27-Aug-14
Awesome ram. Congratulations.

27-Aug-14
Congrats! What an accomplishment! Thanks for sharing!

27-Aug-14
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your pics and story. Great trophy!

27-Aug-14
Great pics and story telling! Congrats!

27-Aug-14
Thanks. You never fail to bring us a great adventure. HUNT

27-Aug-14
That was exciting, truly awesome. Great story and great pics.... thanks for taking us along. Great shot too.... bet he was down in seconds.

Congrats!

27-Aug-14
What an amazing hunt. Congrats on the awesome ram and thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us!

27-Aug-14
Great stuff! Congratulations!!!!

27-Aug-14
Awesome! Beautiful ram and a great story to boot!

28-Aug-14
By far my favorite story that you've shared and you've had some epic adventures! Well done buddy:)

28-Aug-14
Wicked - way to go.

28-Aug-14
Sweet. Thanks for sharing...

28-Aug-14
Nice well done A true archery sheep hunter!

28-Aug-14
Awesome, Way to go Waterfowler!!

Thanks for sharing. Bill V

28-Aug-14
Congrats. What a beautiful sheep. Quite an accomplishment!!

28-Aug-14
Simply amazing, congrats!

28-Aug-14
Congrats Brad! How many bowkills does that make for Michael? He is a great kid. Awesome ram.

28-Aug-14
Congratulations on an awesome accomplishment. Thank you for taking the time to take us along. Well done.

28-Aug-14
Awesome hunt and write up! Thank you for taking the time to share it all with us.

28-Aug-14
Awesome recap! And an incredible hunt. Thanks for sharing

28-Aug-14
Great ram. Must have been a really nice hunt. I'll take the sitka jacket if it is a large.

28-Aug-14
If the coats a xl I will take it off your hands! I always wanted to try them but they are above my pay grade

28-Aug-14
Wow, hats off to you my friend. LOVE the pic of the dead ram when you walked up on him. WOW

28-Aug-14
Fantastic!

Congratulations and thanks for taking us along!

28-Aug-14
Great story and thanks for sharing. Congrats on a fine animal.

28-Aug-14
Congratulations. Great story, thanks for sharing your adventure!

28-Aug-14
Great story! Amazing.

28-Aug-14
Congrats on a nice ram, and memories for a lifetime.

Gene

28-Aug-14
Beautiful ram - congratulations!! What make and model backpack were you using, and were you happy with it….?

28-Aug-14
That is awesome Good for you!

28-Aug-14
Great trophy, congratulations and thanks for sharing. I hope you have a straight on shot that you will share.

28-Aug-14
Great Story.

28-Aug-14
Well done! Congrats

29-Aug-14
Heckuva hunt!

31-Aug-14
Wow and congratulations are the only two words I can think of that are worthy of this story.

Well done.

31-Aug-14
Nice shot, grats

31-Aug-14
WOW!!! Congrats!!

31-Aug-14
SWEET! Big time congrats!

31-Aug-14
I've read a lot of hunting stories here. This one was the best. I felt like I was watching it on TV. Great commentating. :^)

Great hunt, better story, awesome pics, and a beautiful ram. Congratulations man. You earned him. God Bless

31-Aug-14
What a great piece of story telling. Great hunt, fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing. Just when I think that sheep hunting is only for those hunters than can shoot 80+ yards a story comes along like this and gives me hope to do a sheep hunt someday.

01-Sep-14
Tell me that you had some ram tenderloin's on a green stick cooked over a campfire...!!!

There is a LOT to be said for tagging an animal early in the day, and then being able to take your time getting back to camp.......

Congrats again!!!

01-Sep-14
Congrats thanks for sharing

01-Sep-14
Awesome story Brad, Congratulations!

Now lets kill a Caribou! michael

01-Sep-14
excellent story,,,thanks for sharing and congrats!

01-Sep-14
Great story and awesome sheep. Congratulations!!!

.....Forget the tenderloins over the fire, bring on the sheep ribs!!! Mmmmmmmm!

01-Sep-14
Awesome job! Congrats on a beautiful ram!

01-Sep-14
Brad, congrats on a great ram and adventure! Very well done!!!

Mark

02-Sep-14
Man, that was a great read about a great hunt! Congrats!

02-Sep-14
Congrats a beauty of a Ram,..! Nice shot

• Sitka Gear