wildwilderness 27-Aug-14
bill v 27-Aug-14
Bowboy 27-Aug-14
Heat 28-Aug-14
Russell 01-Sep-14
27-Aug-14

Katahdin's embedded Photo
Katahdin's embedded Photo
I sent two 27 gallon totes from Fairbanks to my house 10 days ago by priority mail. The post office said that these are lost. I had my sheep horns and cape in one of them and they are insured but the sheep is irreplaceable. I can only believe that this has been stolen. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Should I involve the Alaska State Troopers?

27-Aug-14
Nice looking ram!

Didn't the USPS provide a tracking number for each container? It should be on your receipt.

27-Aug-14
Sorry to hear this. I am not sure what the troopers would do but I guess it would not hurt to ask. With a tracking number you should be able to at least find the last place they were checked in and start there. I would make myself one giant pain to the USPS. This has always been one of the things nightmares are made of. Not to be a Monday morning quarterback, but that is why if possible I will always pay the ridicules excess baggage charges to bring something home with me. It is not always possible and each case varies. Good luck, hope you find them.

27-Aug-14
oh man, that SO sucks! :-(

27-Aug-14
Beautiful ram !

I ship full time for my job, mostly with USPS. With "Priority Mail" I wouldn't get truly worried for about 3 weeks. In your case from Alaska to Maine, I'd expect Priority Mail to typically take up to 2 weeks for a big package. Their "3-day" service claim is largely meaningless for cross-country shipping of large parcels. And if the exterior of the package is not clearly marked PRIORITY in multiple spots, it could take longer.

As a general rule, few that you talk to in the Post Office will be able to provide useful or reliable information. I'd recommend to be patient a few more days, and watch for any tracking updates on-line.

27-Aug-14
Thank you stick sender for the help with my peace of mind. I do have a tracking number and the last time it has anything was leaving Anchorage on the 20th. That being said our state center has advised me that it is probably on a truck since it is big and would not have intermediate tracking info.

27-Aug-14
I had $4000 worth of soccer tickets shipped to me Priority Mail from Miami to Pennsylvania. After 3 days I got worried and after 10 days I was downright sick. The tracking info was all over the place. They showed up 10 days after that just as I was trying to figure out how to replace them. Keep the faith and let us know when they show up! Great Ram by the way!!!!

27-Aug-14
Keep the faith, and hope they show up. If not, like others have said, be a pain.

In the future ALWAYS try to bring your animal home with you when possible. Brought my ram home from the Brooks two weeks ago in a Cabelas Waterproof duffle bag. I've also brought Mountain Goats, Musk Ox, Mountain Lion and a host of other animals home with me in that duffle.

I know it is not always possible, but when you can, bring it with on the plane.

27-Aug-14
Thanks again for the peace of mind. As far as alternatives I have lost luggage on an air carrier. I have had ups and fed ex stuff that was lost so my decision was which bunch of bozos do I want to trust this shipment to. I should have carried it on my lap!!

27-Aug-14
I hope you insured them for the price of another sheep hunt!

27-Aug-14
Hope the insurance will cover the price of a replacement hide.

Bill V

27-Aug-14
I would always recommend using a local taxidermist to have them ship it. It may cost a little more but they usually now who to use so it doesn't come up MIA!.

Hope it shows up for you!

28-Aug-14
Oh man I'd be sick. Keep up the calls and effort and file a complaint with the Postal Inspector if it looks like all else is lost. Hope if works out for you!

01-Sep-14

Russell 's embedded Photo
Russell 's embedded Photo
Keep the faith. Here's a picture of an item I purchase and the tracking is the worst I've seen using USPS.

• Sitka Gear