Don 30-Aug-14
Amoebus 30-Aug-14
Hammer 30-Aug-14
Jack Harris 30-Aug-14
oldgoat 31-Aug-14
The Old Sarge 31-Aug-14
WV Mountaineer 31-Aug-14
30-Aug-14
This March I had a car accident and blew my knee cap off.. ruptured my patella tendon. While recovering (which takes forever)I have watched a lot of hunting shows on TV.I noticed on almost all the shows that the hunter would range the animal, draw his bow and the animal would move. He would let down, range, draw and the animal would move again...then he would shoot because the animal was moving out of the picture and at best make a fair shot and sometimes; not always, a very poor shot. I use a Vendetta rangefinder on my bow. (No I don't have any connections with them) I draw my bow push a switch attached to my riser get the range and if the animal moves I re-range the animal by pressing the switch without letting down. I know some will say," well that isn't ethical to use such a rangefinder" but, it's better than Wounding the animal because you didn't know how far it was! I just wanted to let everyone know there is a solution to this problem which I am guessing has happened to almost all of you. Good luck to everyone this upcoming season!!

30-Aug-14
Oh boy. Here we go.......

30-Aug-14
1st off, Good luck on your continued recovery!

I know this tech is not legal in a lot of states simply because the electronics are attached to your bow.

"but, it's better than Wounding the animal because you didn't know how far it was"- no one has to shoot if unsure of the distance and how it relates to trajectory.

Nothing against rangefinders but at what level are you taking the challenge out of archery?

Thx Bill

30-Aug-14

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Not legal here. I know judging distance at 1400 feet where I live is a lot different at 7000+ feet for me. I put an arrow right over the shoulder on two different bucks this year. The second one gave me another chance after a short stalk. Just felt I didn't have time to range it because they were getting nervous looking at me. Ditto on the tendon tear. Last year on mine. My knee cap should be up a couple inches higher and not sticking up. You'll be up and kicking soon. Lots of leg lifts and squats.

30-Aug-14
Is that the back end of a chupacabra or a tapir's nose?

30-Aug-14
We sure didn't need to see that picture, LOL!

30-Aug-14
Glad I don't need to depend on a range finder, seems like a lot if work.

30-Aug-14
Head Dr, that's all about advertising, and product placement. It was probably not even filmed until after the hunt was over.

30-Aug-14
Simple solution to both problems:

More rehab, less TV.

30-Aug-14
I always know the ranges to trees and bushes etc and when a critter comes in I am within a yard or two of knowing how far out he is and don't need a range finder.

30-Aug-14
Good luck with recovery. Me personally - I really wnjoy judging distance myself. I do it eve yday when not hunting.

31-Aug-14
God, I thought that was a hairy belly pic till I read the post! I think they are just wanting to get face time for the range finder they are advertising! Even a nubie can tell how far an animal moved once they range it once! If you come to Colorado, don't plan on using your bow mounted RF! I shoot trad with no sights and basically don't need one hunting from the ground at the ranges I hunt, but I do occasionally take a reading from a tree stand just to give my mind a little calibration. Started that after I shot comically high over a buck a few years ago. I practice from elevated s stands all the time at my club, but it just looks different from a lock on hunting stand!

31-Aug-14
"I really wnjoy judging distance myself. I do it eve yday when not hunting."

Yep. Me too. Everywhere I go while walking.

31-Aug-14
Those that judge their own distances X 2. At least for my normal hunting. When I started a compound, just like many of you, there weren't any range finders I knew of. And since you shot bows much less efficient, you had to be pretty good at guessing it. It really is simple enough. Just practice it.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you out west is a different game. I've carried one on every hunt out there. Every elk I've shot I had them. However, they never left my primos vest pocket because one was never over 45 yards. I'm good out to about 50. After that, the 3 and 4 yard errors are to much to overcome everytime. It is harder out there for me because you can see much farther than in the east. So, I don't routinely practice or even try to guess that far. I'd fall back on the rangefinder then. I just never had too.

I shoot traditional bows now. And I still tell my mind the rough distance. It is just my shot sequence. I'm good to 40-47 yards depending on the bow. After that the point gets in the way

To the OP, editing more than likely. And weak minds if not. God Bless

• Sitka Gear