Jim in PA 01-Sep-14
Buskill 01-Sep-14
kota-man 01-Sep-14
ridgerunnerron 01-Sep-14
LINK 01-Sep-14
kscowboy 01-Sep-14
PAstringking 01-Sep-14
31-Aug-14
After watching the outdoor channels the last several weeks, I think its time to clear the air about hunting DESERT big Horns IN Mexico. Any ram that is taken in side of an enclosure on these private ranches, is not eligible for entry in the Grand Slam. Only Free range rams may be recorded.

01-Sep-14
Agreed.

01-Sep-14
I'm completely uneducated on this species. Are there legit free range hunts for them in Mexico or are they all high fence ?

01-Sep-14
No argument from me.

Buskill, There are more and more high fence deals popping up but for the most part sheep are free range. The question really needs to be asked if booking a hunt. I almost made that mistake several years ago. Looked like I was going to get a great deal and at the last minute I asked if it was a free range hunt. Glad I asked! GSCO and WSF do not willingly accept high fence rams BUT if the hunter lies about it or neglects to tell the truth who knows. Again the conversation returns to ethics.

01-Sep-14
Thanks, glad you didn't get there and find out the hard way !!

01-Sep-14
My Sonora Desert Bighorn hunt was 100% free range. Appeared to me that there were more free range hunts down there than not, but I'm sure there are plenty of fenced hunts down there as well.

Like Jim says, make sure you ask BEFORE you go.

I believe all hunts on Carmen Island and Tiburon are considered fair chase as well.

01-Sep-14
Most of the great deals I hear about in Sonora are behind high fence. (starting around $30k??)

Make sure you ask questions BEFORE like Jim and kota-man advised! There are quite a number free ranging hunts to be had if your pockets are deep enough.

01-Sep-14
30k? I wouldn't pay that if it was your money. Wow

01-Sep-14
LINK, 30K is a bargain on a free-range nowadays. Remember, hunting is a dying sport and losing interest:)?

When I accompanied my father in Sonora on his DBHS hunt to complete his FNAWS, we pulled into camp and saw a fence. The "oh shoot" (different word) came out of our mouths. I told my father that I would inquire with my broken Spanish as to the fence. I told him that we were leaving if it was high fence, as he has gone too far in his life to kill a pet.

Luckily, the sheep were free-range. It was for some Couse and Mule Deer high fence deal they were starting.

My father ended up with a 179" ram on his second trip. I started a new job and couldn't accompany him on the second trip.

100% agree that these have no place in the books and awards. There are three sure things in this world: death, taxes, and a high-fence hunt.

01-Sep-14
Im curious as to what show motivated you to make this thread??

• Sitka Gear