TSI 01-Sep-14
PSUhoss 01-Sep-14
wildan 01-Sep-14
BOWJO 01-Sep-14
Bigdan 02-Sep-14
carcus 02-Sep-14
Bowfreak 02-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
Millie and I just 'closed' the purchase of our new farm in Bethpage TN and now are in search of a UTV to get the place.

We've looked at several different brands and are looking for opinions, both good and bad on the various models. We've decided we'll get a 4 Seater because we'll probably be hauling family and friends around the place in the near future, but can't decide on a specific brand or model.

I'd like to keep this from becoming a Fixed V/S Mechanical type discussion - meaning that while opinions are being openly solicited, I'd like to keep the 'pissing contests' (not that I'd expect they'd start) from getting started.

Here's what we've looked at:

Polaris Ranger; We've used these in Saskatchewan - rode rough, but seemed dependable.

John Deere Gator: Rode one thru the New Brunswick Bush this past Spring - this ride seemed like a TIMEX, it took a licking and kept on ticking.

Coleman (Cabela's): They look like the others, but I can't find any information about them

Yamaha Rhino: Haven't driven or rode in one, but again, these seem to have a good reputation.

Tomoto: We heard about these this weekend at an ATV/UTV facility. They didn't have one in the show room but spoke highly about them. They're reported to be made by the Yamaha folks with parts being interchangeable (Ford/Mercury, Chevy/GMC), but am not sure. The 1 year warranty seemed pretty bullet proof and the price was extremely attractive.

That said, I'm curious, what our UTV users have to say and more specifically if you've got any 'intel' on the Tomoto.

Thank you

Rick

01-Sep-14
ATTENTION EDITORS... can you fix a TYPO in the title. eeded, should read needed.

Thank you

01-Sep-14
Gator 825si 4 and 2 seaters.Best of the bunch,Stable wheel base,speed,payload,clearance---worst by far is Kabota.The Gator 570 is also weak in power but the 825 and 50hpr is plenty.Looked at Polaris/yamaha but they didnt have what the Gator does.Gator rides over stuff that would disable a 4x4 smoothly.

01-Sep-14
Rick, I have owned Mules, one Kubota, and a Ranger. The Ranger I still have ' cause it was the best of the bunch for me.

Why ? Because it rides better, faster, and it gives you the choice of one wheel drive ( so you don't tear up your yard when you are turning ), two wheel drive, or four wheel drive. And you seldom take it out of one wheel drive. In four wheel drive, it will climb a tree !

01-Sep-14
Dave and Don. Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it a bunch.

Dave your Gator really impressed us this Spring... Fortunately our farm doesn't have the bush or water you de with daily. The Farm is note like your back pasture...otherwise we'd be ordering one today.

I'll see what other reviews we get before Millie pls the trigger. With her in TN and my stl being in TX we'll be hoping we make the best decision we can using everyone's expertise.

Thank you again.

01-Sep-14
Honestly if Millie is useing it just around the farm get something light,and like mentioned doesnt dig holes.One of those electric bad boy buggies might be something,great for deer hunting.

01-Sep-14
We've got the new polaris ranger 900 crew le and love it! Rides great, plenty of cargo room, never a problem in the year or so that we have owned it. It is a 5 seater and we are always carrying at least 4. Great vehicle.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

01-Sep-14
We have a Yamaha Rhino purchased new that has 3600 trouble free miles(just tires).In the family we have a Kawasaki Teryx that is also a good machine.My brother in law purchased a 825 JD Gator,it's ok but not for me. Looked at the Rhino replacement,the Viking...looked like a solid machine.Also looked a the new Honda Pioneer,I like Hondas has a whole but didn't care for this machine

01-Sep-14
I have an 05 Rhino I purchased new. It has over 3K trouble free miles, and I am rough on that machine. It has seen the whitetail country of Pa. The elk country of Co. and the bear country of Quebec. It also pushes a six foot plow in the off season with no down time. When I put the 27" tires on it, I installed the HD drive belt. It has the narrower stance so it will pretty much go anywhere an ATV will unlike the newer machines. IMHO, Polaris does not have good long term reliability.

02-Sep-14
Go with the Polaris Ranger. I had a mule worst piece of junk I ever had. Then I got A Rhino Put Two Motors in It 3 years. Got a Razor now best by far but the ranger is a great work horse. With the dump bed

02-Sep-14
My Dads Kawasaki teryx lives at my place, its a great utv, the v-twin has tons of torque, its a tank, built tough. The things I dislike are the cab noise and dust, but I'm sure most are noisy and all are dusty, I prefer ATV's

02-Sep-14
For price, power and ride it will be hard to beat Polaris. I have a 570 mid size and it will amaze you how much power that this machine has. It has power to burn so I couldn't imagine and 800 or 900. I know the Can Ams come highly recommended but they were out of my price range. This machine was perfect for me as it was the one that best met my personal criteria. It had a bench seat (I can haul both my little girls in it) and it would fit on my utility trailer which is 61" wide.

Here is a picture of it from Saturday. I used it and a Groundhog ATV disc to prepare a kill plot. This little spot is right at .2 acres and the ground had never been broken before. It was hard as a brick but this setup had zero issues tearing it up.

photo IMG_20140830_165618696_zpsxiqtzvte.jpg

photo IMG_20140830_165623704_zpstbugnql3.jpg

• Sitka Gear