Drahthaar 01-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 01-Sep-14
Genesis 02-Sep-14
TurkeyBowMaster 02-Sep-14
Genesis 02-Sep-14
Rocky D 02-Sep-14
Dan Van 02-Sep-14
01-Sep-14
I have read posts from sad hunters for years about shooting too far back. Seldom do we hear about too far forward. It got me to thinking. With a rifle taking out the shoulder blade results in an instant downed deer. With a bow it can be a crippled animal. I recently adjusted my point of aim to in line with the front leg. My goal as I hope everyone's is to take an animal quickly and cleanly. Please comment. Bob

01-Sep-14
I think the first question is are you hunting from a tree or from the ground.

The killzone is spheroidal so treestand angles will cut your margin for error pretty good as you move forward the leg.

The "V" is deadly but I do not at all advocate treestand bowhunters to aim there (1-2") in front of leg,

I've been well served by 1" behind leg on broadside angle and adjust more rearwardly on quartering a away (between same side and offside legs)from treestands.

Other issues are tracking conditions to be considered.

Shoulders shots also create so many tracking dilemmas as often the blood with be aerated but it isn't lung blood.It's the great masquerader and is probally the single shot in bowhunting that gives wound loss.

More issues

1.Scapula/bone is less forgiving and do a good job of thwarting arrow penetration 2. One lung deer are pushed to early due to the falsely reading blood sign. 3. The spine lowers pretty much as you move forward the leg as well and many "shoulder" shots are actually shots above the spine (as much as 6 inches from top of back in relation) ie. "the void"

All in all,your not gonna make a living playing it tight to the leg from elevation........hope this helps.

01-Sep-14
I simply cannot make myself aim any where else but behind the leg. Killed too many animals aiming there to switch at this late date. It would be like going out with my ex-wife.

01-Sep-14

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
I can't speak for any animal but the venerable whitetail- but on a broadside shot the green dot in this pic is the best ! Right over the heart and you have about 4" margin of error in any direction wher u are virtually guaranteed a "drop in sight" result.

01-Sep-14
Good pic,however it's ground level.

From a treestand the scapula will close the 4" down to only three inches on the right side.Also the left side has liver to bail out in and even the worst case scenario of paunch/intestines.

Aiming straight up the leg is risky and why my aimpoint is behind that spot.I would swap a longer blood trail versus a scapula hit anyday.

Scapulas move from impact and on bow sound ....they will ruin your year of hard work......dodge them.

I hate gut/paunch hits like the next guy but give me them 100 fold over a scapula hit.

With the paunch hit you know exactly what your dealing with and how to handle it.The scapula hit is a teaser that may cause you to push the trail too much losing your one lunger (if that)

01-Sep-14
And everyone should study the lungs. Higher on body further back equals double lung. Center to lower body is a very common gut shot but we hear "hit looked perfect!"

01-Sep-14
shoot for your off hand leg with a quatering away shot and smile. Forrest

01-Sep-14
Higher and further back means you shoot 10 inches over his back in Alabama when the deer is 15 yards or further. If they are 25 to 30 you have to aim for his knee....no joke.

02-Sep-14
Actually I get more string jump at 10 than 30 in Mississippi.Folks can't believe that you can aim 4 inches under the brisket line and pinwheel deer.

The Midwest deer jump some but do not belly flop like their southern brothers.

Coues don't even jump as much southeastern whitetails

The good thing about string jump (if their is such a thing) is the deer move forward helping you to stay away from the scapula.

I shot a doe in the offside ham once from her flinching at 15 yards........pure luck

02-Sep-14
I shot one guartering towards me at 25 and she was quarting away when the arrow hit...perfect shot...I planed it that way.

02-Sep-14
"Stay thirsty my friend"

02-Sep-14
I think the classic paper target had kill zones that centered on the lungs and liver on the classic broadside shot.

Any angle will push the shot forward with the oft repeated advice to aim for the opposite leg.

Likewise many a deer has lived because people were lectured to stay away from anything frontal.

Couple of reasons IMHO is that one equipment has gotten soooo much better and overall better accuracy on average.

This being said I have moved my aim point closer to the crease of the leg.

02-Sep-14
Agree with drahthaar on this one, when possible always shoot off side shoulder unless at extreme height.

• Sitka Gear